North Cyprus Tourist Board - Travelling to North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Travelling to North Cyprus

Travelling to North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hello forum,

I'm hoping go on holiday to Northern Cyprus. I want to know the easiest way to get there. I live in England. Departing from Birmingham airport would be ideal, but London airports would be possible.

I was wondering if you could help me out please.

I know that there has been historical hostility between the North & and this had made travelling between the two difficult.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to travel from the UK to North Cyprus. I found a return flight direct to Ercan airport from Stanstead for £280. However, I've also found a return flight from London Gatwick to Larnaca in South Cyprus for £165.

If I were to fly to Southern Cyprus, how difficult would it be to cross the border to the North. Do I need a visa? How do I obtain a visa? Is there a cost to cross the border? Having flown to the South, would I be able to spend my holiday in the North? If crossing the border costs, which would be the better option, financially?

Thank you ever so much.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Nicolas

Assuming that you are an EU citizen then there is no problem crossing from South to North Cyprus. You are issued with a visitor's visa at the crossing Point by the North Cyprus authorities, it is free and normally will be for 90 days.

The only thing to consider in extra costs is the taxi from Larnaca to where you are staying. this is definately best arranged before as the Drivers at Larnaca are mainly unwilling to travel to the north or if they do charge an arm and a leg.

If you are staying in a hotel, they may arrange pick up for you, mine certainly does. If in a villa then there are lots of taxis from the North, details of whom can be got from this site, who will pick you up. If you are thinking of renting a car, some of the North Cyprus car hire firms will arrange to pick you up at a much reduced cost.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time and welcome to the board.

Harold

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Harold, thank you for your swift reply.

Yes, I am a EU citizen, born & lived in England my whole life.

So with the visitor's visa I'd receive at the border, would I then be free to spend my entire time in North Cyprus? I've heard rumours that you can only stay for periods of 12 hours, or you have to return to the south by sunset? Are these true?

Roughly, how much would a taxi cost from Larnaca airport?

I haven't organised my accomodation yet, but I'm looking at staying at a cheap BUT SAFE hostel in Kyrenia.

It came across they you yourself run a hotel. Could you send me a link to your website? If you don't have a website, could you send me any details please?

If I read you wrong, and your currently on holiday in North Cyprus, would you kindly send me some information about the hotel? I have no clue about the accommodation there.

Thank you again Harold, I think this is going to be a very helpful website.

Thanks.

the butler

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Nicolas,

I noticed you have a post about hotels running. I think it would be cheaper for you to get a package deal to the TRNC. There are some good deals at the moment and all your transfer problems would be taken care of.

Only a suggestion but you could try this and see how the cost compares.

The butlers wife

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Hi butlers wife,

Could you recommend any package companies?

I don't know where to start.

Thank you.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Try Riverside in Alsancak

If you want contact details, Google it!

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

thanks Keith. Very kind.

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

What is the price of food like in Kyrenia?

How much for example would an average dinner cost you at one of the restuarants along the harbour?

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I've been in touch with some hotels & hostels in North Cyprus.

Many of them provide a airport pickup/drop-off service.

Most charge something in the region of £50 each way to take you across te border from Larnaca airport to Kyrenia.

Does this include a charge to cross the border?

If not, would I be better off taking public transport?

How would I travel on public transport from Larnaca airport to Kyrenia?

Thank you in advance.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Nicolas

http://www.longbeachcyprus.com

We are neare Famagusta not Kyrenia. There are no such restrictions applying to your stay in North Cyprus, I have a vague memory of thes being rules at some time for Southern Cypriot citizens, but it is only a vague memory and I wouldn't like to accuse the authorities there of unreasonable behaviour on a vague memory.

As for food in the harbour, the consensus is that if you are on a tight budget avoid eating in the Harbour restaurants. They have a reputation for higher than elsewhere prices, which they no doubt justify by referring to their rental costs. This may or may not be justifies, I don't know.

I believe Taxis can be got for around £50 each way.

Harold

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks Harold. Thank you for the advice.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 21:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

There is a hostel in the heart of the old harbour in Kyrenia http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Cyprus-Dorms/Kyrenia/35144 I have no personal experience of it but found it on a Google search. I think the person that owns it is a member here.

I recently received an email from Cyprus Paradise offering package deals from £299 http://www.cyprusparadise.com/newoffers.shtml

Good luck and I hope you find something to suit.

Nicolas

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 01:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I appreciate I have already posted this earlier, but I thought that asking it again would highlight it once more. Apologies if you feel I'm spamming. My intentions are not malicious, I promise.

I've aware many hotels & hostels in North Cyprus provide a airport pickup/drop-off service.

Most charge something in the region of £50 each way to take you across the border from Larnaca airport to Kyrenia.

Does this include a charge to cross the border? If not, would it be financially better to take public transport?

I'm planning on flying to Larnaca airport and then making my own way to the north side if that's possible, rather than taking a taxi.

Are there buses I can take to Kyrenia? Or at least to the border? from which point I can then take another bus or dolmus to my hotel? (which at this stage looks like it'll either be the Riverside village or Courtyard Inn)

Does anyone by any chance know which buses to take? And how much do the buses cost?

Thank you in advance

Jeannie

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 01:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

No - get a taxi/hotel pick up from Larnaca - Kyrenia.

sissy

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Try http://www.CyprusParadise.com they have some special offer package holidays

on at the moment.

mystery

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Nicolas, I have just returned from North cyprus and people travelling on a EU passport have leave to stay for up to 3 months in North cyprus and can travel freely between the North and the South.

I travel from Birmingham Airport, and also at times Manchester. I generally choose a package as it works out cheaper than just paying for airfare, and includes transfers, unless of course you would be staying with family or friends.

Monarch do flights 2 or 3 times a week from Birmingham to Larnaca.

I generally use 'Direct Traveller' to book my package. You can also book flights only and transfers. In fact if you phone them they will attempt to put together whatever you need, with flights to Larnaca or Ercan. website http://www.directtraveller.com

The transfer to the Noth from Larnaca normally takes around an hour and a half, with no problems getting through the border.

Reasonably priced hotels, which I have experience of, are the Ship Inn and the Pia Bella.

anastacia

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

I am not sure if you would need to take a bus from Larnaca Airport into Larnaca bus station.

Then You would need to take a bus from Larnaca to the Bus depot in Nicosia, in the centre of the city.

You would then need to either walk to the Ledra Palace crossing (about a 15 min walk), or take a taxi.

Then go through the border crossing, and then either walk, (about 20mins walk) to the bus station in Lefkosa (Turkish Nicosia) or take a taxi. You can get a small Dolmus from the bus station to the centre of Girne (Kyrenia).

You would then still need to travel to wherever you are staying in the north.

Bearing in mind, the heat and that you will have luggage, you will be better using taxis.

You can pre-book a North Cyprus Taxi to pick you up at Larnaca Airport and bring you all the way to wherever you are staying in the north.

Hope this helps

Anastacia

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.