North Cyprus Tourist Board - Public transport in Kyrenia
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Public transport in Kyrenia

Public transport in Kyrenia

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Hi forum,

Could anyone tell me what the public transport is like in North Cyprus (specifically in Girne/Kyrenia if at all possible)?

Besides car rental, what are my options?

I'm considering staying in accomodation in a village called Karakum. From there how would I get to Kyrenia?

Does anyone know what the prices would be like?

I think this village is about 5 km from Kyrenia.

Thanks!

keithcaley

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Nicholas,

It would probably help if you kept all your questions on the one thread - instead of starting a new one every time you think of another question

Just a suggestion!

If you type 'public transport' into the search box near the top of each page, you will be able to see everything about public transport that has ever been posted on the Forum...

It's cheap & frequent, but basic.

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Sorry about that Keith. I'll take on the advice. I've only just joined the forum you see.

Ok I'll search for public transport.

You suggested the Riverside resort in Alsancak to me. Thank you for that. Have you stayed there ever?

Thanks for all your help.

jillyjugs

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Nicolas

FORGET PUBLIC TRANSPORT OF ANY KIND HERE YOU TAKE YOUR LIFE IN YOU HANDS USING IT.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

wherer is the accommodtion if it is High Life it is quite a walk from the main road. A lovely place to stay but you really need a car.

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

@jillyjus

What do you mean? Have you found the public transport to be dangerous? Or it just very infrequent?

@Woodspeckie

No, I was speaking of a place called the Courtyard Inn in Karakum. How long is quite a walk? Ideally, I don't want the added cost of a car. But would not having a car thwart my ability to get around? What do you make of the public transport in Girne?

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Public transport is no more dangerous than driving a car, there are lunatics all over the place

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

@lovingcyprus

What is your opinion of the public transport in Kyrenia? Is it widely accessible & frequent?

Would I have trouble getting around if I didn't rent a car, or would the public transport do me ok?

Do you know the sort of prices the buses/coaches charge?

Thank you

mozgor

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

The main mode of public transport in Turkey and TRNC is the dolmus (pronounced dolmush which means full/squashed). You can stop a dolmus pretty much whever you want as there are not bus stops as such, so that's a plus, very cheap mode of transport and they are frequent. As long as you don't stay somewhere really remote, public transport will be fine and it's fun as long as you don't mind roughing it a wee bit and joining in with the locals :o)

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

ok thanks mozgor. I really appreciate your reply. I'm thinking of staying in the village Karakum. Would you consider that village to be remote?

batgirl

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

If you are at the courtyard then you are on the main rd @ 2/3 per trip for the dolmus but at night you will have to use a taxi

jake1

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Hi,

as long as you are in walking distance from the main road, a Dolmus is a way to get you about.

They are very cheap, It costs me 3 tl from Alsancak to Girne.

There are some drivers that think they are driving a formula 1 car, and on occasion, will do extraordinary things to get them 1 vehicle ahead in a traffic queue, whether it be undertaking, overtaking, regardless of the obstacles in front of them or the oncoming traffic.

Having said that, I am still here to tell the tale after using them for almost 2 years

I find it best to keep my eyes either closed or look out of the side windows.

But the earlier post is correct, the drivers are no worse than the rest of the drivers on these roads

Take care

Deniz1

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

The courtyard is about 100 meters from a busy main road i would hardly call Karakum a village. The dolmus pass the door frequently and its about 10mins to Girne?Kyrenia by bus.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

re msg 3,

Yes I've stayed there which is one reason that I recommend it - the other reason is that they are well known for doing really good value deals which include flight and airport pickup in with the price.

They are not on the main road, but they do have a FREE courtesy coach which does runs into Girne & also stops at all the main beaches on the way to drop off and pick up.

By the way - Jillyjugs is absolutely right that you take your life in your hands - but that's also true if you venture within 100 metres of any road - they're MANIACS - I hope that you like excitement...

Nicolas

Message Posted:
16/08/2010 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's great to get this local knowledge. You can't beat it.

I'm planning on flying to Larnaca airport and then making my own way to the north side if that's possible, rather than taking a taxi.

Are there buses I can take to Kyrenia? Or at least to the border? from which point I can then take another bus or dolmus to my hotel? (which at this stage looks like it'll either be the Riverside village or Courtyard Inn)

Does anyone by anychance know which buses to take? And how much do the buses cost?

roisin

Message Posted:
17/08/2010 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Don't know about buses in the South but if you get to Nicosia and either walk across the Ledra Palace crossing or the Ledra Street Crossing you will find buses going to Girne. You will have to make your way to Kyrenia Gate(Girne Kapisi)Its about 10-15mins walk so will be difficult if you are carrying suitcases.You will see all the bus stops there on the main road, There are no signs on the stops so its best to ask someone and they will show you the place to wait. The buses have destinations in the front window. It costs 4 tl to get to Girne.They drop you off near the colony hotel.You then have to walk across the road and opposite the car park/post office you can catch another bus to karakum(about 2 tl).There are not many bus stops so ask the driver to stop at Courtyard when you get on. If going to Riverside you catch the bus to Alsancak,but I don"t think it stops anywhere near the hotel and its a LONG walk !

mozgor

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/information/10/busses.asp

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/cyprus.html

Links above is some info on public transport from Larnaca to Lefkosa (Nicosia), but don't know how reliable it is, but at least it's a start :o)

sloan

Message Posted:
29/08/2010 07:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Hello Nicolas. You can catch the airport shuttle from Larnaca Airport to Nicosia:

http://www.kapnosairportshuttle.com/

It runs frequently (see timetable) and, last time I used it, cost 7 euros. Unfortunately, the terminus is not very convenient being the Philoxenia Hotel Car Park. We found we had to take a taxi from there to near the Ledra St crossing. You can then walk through customs and head for the Kyrenia Gate. Here you will be able to catch a dolmus which will take you to the law courts in Kyrenia, although you could get off anywhere en route. (I think it will be about 3.5 TL). The Courtyard at Karakum is walkable form Kyenia (a long walk and not to be advised in the heat of the summer, but you did not say in which month you are coming). We often use the dolmus. You can catch one to most places in the TRNC from the law courts, but we have not tried the Famagusta one yet. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask, or email me offboard. Enjoy your visit!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.