North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sky TV Problem. 1.8 Dish
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sky TV Problem. 1.8 Dish

Sky TV Problem. 1.8 Dish

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

Acacia

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have a Sky plus HD box brought over from Eire in May complete with HD subscription,Three of the packs and Sky Sports.After four weeks a message came up onto screen 'This is the wrong card for this set top box'.I contacted

Sky via a Irish mobile and after two days of sending stronger signal to box which obviously didn't work,they sent

new card to Irish address which was brought out to me here in Cyprus.

This new card worked fine for Three weeks then the same message appeared yesterday the 17th.I have again

contacted Sky, but to date they have failed to fix it.

Has anybody had the same problem ?Please note though, this is an Irish Sky card not a UK one,there is a difference.

I do not have Multiroom.

One for the Techies i think.

Regards, Arcacia.

Navek

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Acacia,

Try Iceman..

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/show-member.asp?member=iceman

Good luck,

Navek

catalkoykid

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

how long did you have hd box in eire,you must have it connected for a year to the phone line in eire

iceman

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

"This is the wrong card for this set top box. Insert the correct Sky viewing card" error is a very common bug with the new white sky cards..

The box for some unexplained reason looses its paring with the smart card so it gives the above error.

Most the time the error will go away if you reboot the box and it ill work but it if it doesn't or if it keeps repeating it too often, it is best to contact SKY and inform them of the problem..

They will send a signal over the air to pair up your card to the box..

Acacia

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Iceman. I presume by your reply this is a common problem with 4.2 metre dishes as well as they seem to be

more popular than 1.8 dishes.

My line of thought is that when Sky send a signal ,the 1.8 dish is not big enough to receive it,might sound daft i know

but the first time it went wrong Sky said they had sent two signals over two days the last one being stronger than

the first , It never worked thus the new card.This time they have done the same and sent another signal.I live in

hope.

By rebooting i think you mean switch off at the mains and then switch back on,is this correct ?If so i have tried that.

I also tried a full system reset by going into services etc.

Is there any other way of pairing the card with the box ?The last thing i want them to do is send another card.

as this inconveniences my neighbour.

If there is no solution i will have to cancel my subscription to Sky until i go back to Eire.

Regards,

Acacia.

iceman

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

This is not a signal related problem and size of your dish is irrelevant..

This is a problem with the new white card and SKY's pairing procedure.

Not supposed to happen, but it even happens to SKY users in UK..

I don't know what kind of 1.8m or what level signal you have but if its good enough to receive one of SKY's default transponders (ie SKY News) your box should have no problem receiving the signal sent by SKY.

No need to replace the card...there is no other way to pair the card with the box..

I also had this same error and i had to get SKY to re send a pairing signal to fix it.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

I confirm what Iceman says- signal strength can't be an issue .. this error msg and "live pause is not available" seem to be the 'bugs'

I wonder if SKY do this to bump up 0845 revenues ?

keithcaley

Message Posted:
18/08/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

mmmmmm,

It's either a BUG or it isn't - make your mind up!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
19/08/2010 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

I's a 'Bug' and SKY know it..

Acacia

Message Posted:
19/08/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for the comments.Here is an update.

Sky have been in constant touch with me so no complaints with their customer service.

Yesterday i was sent an email with three procedures to try.

a) Software Download Process

b) Viewing Card Reset Process

c)Channel Scan with with a Call-Back Procedure,i was able to do this without a telephone line connected.I had to

telephone number on screen.

None of the procedures above worked.Two more signals sent by Sky to pair the card have so far failed.

Sky have now sent another card to my address in Eire as i have a relative coming out from London in the next

couple of weeks.This was at my request as they wanted to send an engineer round.

The new card will most probably work as the last new one did, but for how long who knows.

Re the possibility of a BUG ,is the bug likely to be in the card or the box.I suppose the only option if it fails again will be to get an engineer round when i next go to Eire and possibly replace the box.Stay Tu

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.