North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dogs to England
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dogs to England

Dogs to England

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

webby

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hi, I am thinking of moving back to England but want to take my dogs, I'm not too keen on them being in quarantine for 6 months there but someone once mentioned taking them to another EU country and doing less quarantine there, does anyone know anything about this?

puppylover

Message Posted:
04/08/2008 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Contact KAR and speak to Margaret Roy (0533 8624868) ...she is very knowledgable on this subject.

She is assisting my neighbour who had a boxer puppy thrown from a vehicle onto the pavement outside her holiday home.

Bless her...she is taking the puppy home to the UK.

When I was talking to her about all the arrangements she did say that KAR mentioned if she knew anyone in France the puppy could go there and then onto the UK without going into 6 months quarantine.

Good Luck.

brandy sour

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

if you do cut throu the red tape make sure they have a proper check up at your local vets please the quarantine rules are there for a reason

jock1

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 00:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Thats why the uk has the quarantine rules. Cant belive anyone would ask that question.

brandy sour

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

I second that statment

MICK THE FISH

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 06:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Unfortunately Jock, you are wrong.

You are allowed to fly a dog into S Cyprus without quarantine if the dog has an up

to date pet passport - which includes injections - fitness to travel cert - and de-lousing within the previous 24 hours.

If you were to fly the same dog into N Cyprus with the same documents, it has to

spend a few weeks in what is called 'quarantine' - bit of a joke really, the new dogs mix with the dogs about to complete the quarantine.

You are not allowed to take animals through the green line as far as the authorities are concerned (for the purpose of persecution, humans are not considered animals, nor the birds that fly over the border, foxes wandering over the border etc).

If you imported a dog to S Cyprus, then import it into N Cyprus and it undergoes quarantine (which you can do flying out of the South and back into the North). The same dog (still with an up to date passport) you then decide to fly to UK then has to spend 6 months in UK quarantine.

So you can see the rules are a mixture of political persecution and Lunacy.

regards

MICK THE FISH

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 06:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Jock, I forgot to mention that the pet passport scheme is an EU system only, and

obviously you can't fly a dog from South Cyprus to the N Cyprus direct.

Hope is on the horizon, if and when the North joins the EU all the dogs here will have been deemed to have been 'cleansed', and can be good Europeans thereafter.

One final thing, from experience. I imported a dog from UK to S Cyprus. At Larnaca the customs official asked to 'see' the dogs microchip identification. I explained that she couldn't see it as it had been injected in the dog and that they should have a 'scanner' to read the chip. You guessed it, they don't have a scanner. (simple hand held device).

Also there was a spate of dogs dying from overheating at Larnaca a year or

two ago (maybe it till goes on). You can imagine the scenario. plane delayed,

dog waiting to be loaded in a crate on the hot tarmac, Staff, far too busy smoking and laughing to check the dogs water or put the crate in the shade (despite the fact the charge much more for a dog than a human).

On reflection - you could almost delete the word dog and insert the word Turkish Cypriot - the persecution by the EU is very similar.

Hilltop

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 06:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

"Unfortunately Jock, you are wrong."

I can't see how Jock is wrong. The thread is about moving a dog to the UK and not the ROC. A suggestion was made re avoiding quarantine (in the UK) and Jock commented accordingly.

MICK THE FISH

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 07:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

I am implying that quarantine regulations are employed on a 'political' basis. My dog has an up to date EU Pet Passport - to fly to UK from here would require 6 months quarantine in UK. If a dog was flown from Larnaca, there wouldn't be any quarantine in UK. what has changed? the dog still has the same 'clean bill of health' certification, or is the North deemed to be infested with rabies? It seems a little strange that a dog that lived for instance in 'Nicosia' with the same documentation is treated differently to a dog that lived 200metres away in 'Lefkosa'

Laptalocal

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

If the dogs are correctly vaccinated with pet passports etc, I see no reason why a dog cannot and should not go to France or Germany first if it then makes it easier to get in to the UK. They will have the same docs and vaccinations as dogs coming from S. Cyprus or any other EU country, its just that TRNC is not recognised (and not part if the EU), so they cannot enter directly. My dog has all the necessary vacs and the pet passport and if I lived in the South, would be able to enter the UK no problem.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Is there a trade in illegal 'Pet Passports', the same as there is in 'Human Passports'?

webby

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

I wouldnt think about taking my dogs anywhere without vacinations etc. I am not that irresponsible, I was simply asking if I went to another EU country would the quarrantine time be less, I am happy with quarrantine but 6 months is a long time and even DEFRA are arguing that 6 months in the UK is too long.

fire starter

Message Posted:
05/08/2008 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

the north of cyprus is a non qualifying country. as it is not in the eu. your dog will still have to do 6 months quarentine when you return to the uk. don't trust defra. my giant schnauzer nearly didn't get on the flight to come here, because of defra's stupidity. our vet saved the day!

aripointer

Message Posted:
06/08/2008 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Up until 2004 the UK recognised the TRNC pet passport scheme. It was after the South was granted membership to the EU the scheme was stopped, hence the problem we now face with six months quarantine when taking a pet back to the UK. As I understand from a very reliable source talks are under way with the UK goverment and DEFRA to reinstate the TRNC pet passport scheme hopefully it will happen this year? So no more quarantine in the UK.

If your need is urgent speak to QUAFF they do have a website and can possibly help in bringing a pet back to the UK. Speaking with the head vet in Nicosia the TRNC have had no reported cases of rabies in annimals for over forty years

jock1

Message Posted:
06/08/2008 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Thank you Hilltop.

webby

Message Posted:
06/08/2008 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Thank you all very much, I will look into all options

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.