North Cyprus Tourist Board - stray dog shot
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > stray dog shot

stray dog shot

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

BILLY

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 01:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Last week in Cyprus Today they reported that a pet dog was shot dead as a stray with a poison dart.

This was in LAPTA area. The dog was shot by the local authorithy as a complaint had been made and the dog did not have a collar.

The most alarming part of this report was that the owner of the dog found his dead dog 300 yards from his home.

This means that the local authority shot the dog then just left if on the street.

I wonder if this enforcement only applies to dogs .?

There are lots of stray cats about.

desert rose

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 09:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Billy,

Are you trying to say that this is a good thing?

Why didnt they take the poor dog to Kyrenia dog sanctuary? Is this common practice?

x

breezyboy

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

On the dark side near my freinds in Pathos, the locals have shooting parties on Sundays and holidays specifically looking for dogs and are generally quite cruel throwing stones at them as well. It seems to be taken for granted as acceptable.

namus

Message Posted:
13/07/2007 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Locals do not view dogs as we Brits do and use poison or just shoot strays.

There used to be a number of quite dangerous wild dog packs so it is best to just let the locals do what is necessary. I have come across a wild dog pack and they are very scary.

Locals tend to keep working dogs rather than pets. The down side to the culling is that Brit pets may get poisoned.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 05:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

We live in Singapore and I work in a Shipyard which is overun by Stray dogs. There is a local man engaged to cull the dogs by shooting them with a lethal dart. I think this is barbaric and there must be an alternative, however, it is a local solution to the problem and as much as I want to say something, I can't...If I don't like it LEAVE !!! On the other hand we lived in China for a while and Dog's and Cat's are eaten as a delicacy...NOT so common anymore but there are still a few restaurants still doing it, I tried it unknowingly when I was taken out for Dinner by a Chinese Associate and I readily admit it was quite nice.....Thank God I didn't know at the time !!! or I would have been Barking mad to eat it and then I would have felt really Ruff afterwards !!!!

So......the problem of Dog Culling is as prevelant in TRNC as it is is in other parts of the World. Not a nice thought, but that is obviously a Local solution as well. Don't get too involved I say and try to turn a Blind eye (if you can) Otherwise I am sure that the Kyrenia Dog Rescue could sure use some financial donation or volentary assistance.

Regards

Dog Lover (Not so keen on Cat's they give me Heartburn !!!)

desert rose

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 07:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

WT - yuk yuk yuk!

Namus - The locals here in Dubai are not keen on dogs either. If they keep them then it is as a gaurd dog chained up outside their house, and in this heat it cant be nice for the dog.

In the end I kind of agree that the locals should deal with the problem as they see fit as some stray dogs are very dangerous. But as more businesses open up out there then hopefully Kyrenia dog sanctuary will get more help with donations.

x

RTgirl

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Somewhat unsettling as I have three cats coming with me next year. Just have to hope there are not too many strays where I am gong to live and my three keep themselves close to home, if I pluck up enough courage to let them out....

It is something we have to get used to, I guess, realizing that different countries treat animals differently but its not always easy. I read that there was a program to catch, neuter and then release again the dogs to try and reduce the number of strays but have no idea what the plan is, if any, to bring the number of stray moggies down.

BILLY

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

I have seen no evidence that there is a dog problem.

The most alarming thing was that after shooting the dog the local authority just left the dead body to rot in the street.

desert rose

Message Posted:
14/07/2007 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Biily, must admit i didnt see any strays either. Not only is leaving the body on the street upsetting for the owner its also a health hazard!

x

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 07:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org Check out this website and if you can give anything.......anything at all. I am positive the centre will be eternally grateful.

teapot

Message Posted:
16/07/2007 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Nice to see the better side of the arrogant scotsman, the animal lover, perhaps he has pangs of conscience when he goes cock fighting.

wearytravellers

Message Posted:
17/07/2007 04:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Teapot: Arrogant Scotsman !! What a marvellous compliment....thank you.

Yep it's true I do have a heart, and having seen the Cockfight, I am in no rush to see it again.....that's for sure. However, in my defence I am always open to experience new things, visit new places, cultures etc etc, it's all part of Life's rich tapestry of adventure.

teapot

Message Posted:
17/07/2007 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Yep WT your just an old softy at heart, hope you enjoy NC down the rough end, please dont shoot any howling dogs though, best wishes.

Oknala

Message Posted:
18/07/2007 03:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I had dogs as pets for many years, and I hope I was a responsible owner. I appreciate they are considered a 'nuisance' in the TRNC, but that could be brought under control.

We did have an incidence where a friend who was staying with us ( in the TRNC) was bitten by a dog, he had to throw some stones at it to make it go away - the dog (and and it's companion) was owned by a British person living there - she can't be bothered to walk the dogs, so just lets them lose to run around. I hate to think what could have happened if the dog had bitten a child who would not have been capable of dealing with the incident. Much as I love dogs, if they are not properly trained and controlled, they are pack animals.

Oknala

Message Posted:
18/07/2007 03:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

I had dogs as pets for many years, and I hope I was a responsible owner. I appreciate they are considered a 'nuisance' in the TRNC, but that could be brought under control.

We did have an incidence where a friend who was staying with us ( in the TRNC) was bitten by a dog, he had to throw some stones at it to make it go away - the dog (and and it's companion) was owned by a British person living there - she can't be bothered to walk the dogs, so just lets them lose to run around. I hate to think what could have happened if the dog had bitten a child who would not have been capable of dealing with the incident. Much as I love dogs, if they are not properly trained and controlled, they are pack animals.

lesleyd

Message Posted:
06/08/2007 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

The method that they used on this poor animal really made me so mad. There is a perfectly good animal rescue centre, where it would have had a chance for the owners to collect their dog, they also take in cats. They are always looking for people to help out and rely solely on donations and receive no government funding.

Just remember this planet wasn't just made for humans it ws also made for all the animals. Maybe there is a problem with the population of dogs and cats? More people should look into the work that the Kyrenia Animal Rescue Centre and maybe donate a little of their time. So come on everyone take your finger out and donate, or go and spend some time with these wonderful animals, you might find that for a little love they give you tens times that back in return.

sylvie

Message Posted:
15/05/2008 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

i would like to know what is the law in cyprus about owning a dog - do you have to get a permit ?

what about dogs always enclosed in a cage - 2 of them together - german dogs - never come out into a cage built close to other homes and barking all night ? to who can we complain when the owner just consider it is normal for a dog to bark any time of night - he didn't have any neighbour - we are the first one - the cage is built behing his house - and too close from ours -it seems that been nice and couroise does make the owner to react - he gave with the dogs education - they even bark after him - and would you believe me he takes a gloves to caress them !!! what can we do against ... the owner because it is not the dogs fault having no education !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.