North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are Brits really leaving the TRNC in droves ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are Brits really leaving the TRNC in droves ?

Are Brits really leaving the TRNC in droves ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
30/08/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

I read many comments that Brits are leaving TRNC in droves. Is this anecdotal or are there known numbers or percentages ? If it is so how on earth do they sell their properties in the face of all the problems which many have encountered ? I have deeds, and taxes paid. I have heartfelt sympathy for those who struggle and pay dearly, as we had to do, to try and reach that goal but still feel no more secure about the ultimate destiny for the British here. The villa which I own with my wife was on the market for some 2 years and initially valued, not by me, but the estate agents at £169,000 with furnishings. I suspended advertising after 2 years as the one and only offer was "£80,000 buyer moves in, followed by a further £40,000 some 6 months later if the buyer had sold their property" Some of you may find it uncouth that I publish such personal detail though I believe that as thoughts are exchanged regarding defending injustices so we should try and be aware of exit

strategies.

Bradus

Message Posted:
30/08/2010 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts with us. Houses are definitely going down in price and are not selling well.I personally think the best way to sell a house is to offer to wait for the buyers to get their PTP and then agree that you will hand over the deeds on the day you receive full payment. Everything can be done in one day as we recently found out. (As the Cypriots do)

One of the reasons houses are not selling is the fear that people will pay in full and receive nothing. The above assures both sides that their needs will be met.

Yes, you will possibly have to wait a couple of years before the purchase is possible but it is the only way of ensuring the "no kocan, no money" rule is enforced and for many this is the only way forward when considering a purchase in the TRNC.

As a matter of interest would anyone be prepared to do this?

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
30/08/2010 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

I don't know if anyone is leaving in droves, Brits or otherwise, and I certainly can't tell you of percentages or how they sell their properties, you are obviously ok, you have your deeds and have paid your taxes, you did your homework! with a little luck

But please spare a thought for the hundreds who paid everything they owned to a system that took their life savings and allowed unscrupulous Estate agent, developers, and advocates to steal those savings, and now seemingly are allowing through Mortgages and Memorandums to take from even more victims

I don't find it uncouth deputydawg that you publish personal details, but you are to a certain extent lucky, you have a home that you have paid for, and you own it, you have your deeds, so many have nothing and have lost everything!

I can't help you with exit strategies, but I will continue trying to make sure everyone new to the TRNC understands the probability of losing their money is extremely high

Good Luck for the future

Lilli

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

well i can tell you we have lost 70 per cent of our core buisness. All gone, some to turkey, onr pr two to france, some took at least 60 per cent drop on their property, rather than leave it empty for years x

bar8.8

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 01:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

Have just reduced my house by £25k to try and sell and still no takers :[

I am not leaving the island but need to finalise finances with the ex.

Someone told me that on the month of April only 2 containers came in but 17 left!!

expatlady

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 02:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

msg # 4:

Lilli: that is rather a scary! Can I ask during what period/since when?

jimmy

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 02:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

We left TRNC at the end of March & don't regret it one bit. I used to knock the UK but not any more. For me the TRNC doesn't even come close to the UK on so many levels. The UK isn't perfect but after living in NC I now appreciate the UK & I can't think of one thing I would swap in the UK with Cyprus & that includes the weather.

Would I ever go back to TRNC ? Probably not.

kimig

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 06:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Well, count me in - yes, I am leaving in the next couple of weeks. It is partly because my husband died, and I'm not very happy on my own. That, of course, is not TRNC's problem. I can't sell my house, of course - £85,000 down the drain, like many others. But what finally decided me to leave is the ridiculously impossible system.

My housing contract, like many others, was in both our names. So was our car. Stay with me, now it gets ludicrous... Oh, I should say that we had properly registered Wills, leaving everything to each other.

However...... first they say I can't sell car or house without my dead husband's permission. This, as you must agree, makes things complicated... Then they say I can't sell my car either - I need to go through probate so I can own all the stuff which was always mine anyway. This , apparently can take anything up to 3 years. Don't think either house or car would be in saleable condition by then...

Lazy days

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 07:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Hello peeps

In my area in the past 6 months seven people have gone back to the UK five of them permanently, only one with their property sold & one because of a relationship thingy, the other might come back but she said dont hold your breath, another person moved here, but is regretting it already, it dosent bode well for the future

Lilli

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

to expat lady, in answer to your question, in the last 2 to 3 years x

Tatty

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

We will be returning to the UK in the next 12 to 18 Months.

keldanreb

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

"always look on the dark side of life,de de ,de de,de de de de"

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Having screwed up the tourist industry and the construction sector, the government is now determined to kill-off the holiday home/retirement sector.

Talk about killing the geese that lay the golden eggs.

Jessie

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

re message 10

That period would tie in with the worst global downturn seen for decades. There are obviously macro as well as micro issues affecting the TRNC

blade

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

I agree with lilli, we have probably lost about 20% of customers, mainly last year.

I am seeing new arrivals but its not making up those numbers.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Well my house is only 50k and ptp is available....still no takers.....very upsetting indeed.....i seriously want to leave....

DD

Marvo

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

I'm not sure about people leaving in droves, it must be difficult to walk away from a large financial investment.

What I do know is that when we arrived just over 2 years ago Extend had a waiting list of 8 weeks to get connected, now Extend are quoting 4 days, and that is in just over 2 years.

I recon in 18 months time the country will implode through lack of external investment.

eagleyemonkey

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Well we are sick of the life in the UK. We have an appartment in North Cyprus and when we are there for a few weeks there isn't another place we'd rather be. It is our intention to move over to NC when our house in the UK sells but after a few weeks at home reading this forum I wonder.

Geoff1131MK11

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

eagleyemonkey, dont be put off from coming to the TRNC by all the negative comments. I have been here now for two and a half years and have loved every second. Yes you will have problems but i'm sure you realise that. As long as you have given the move proper thought and are not doing anything in haste then i'm sure you will love the place too. I do feel sorry that some folk have had a bad deal here, but that should not prevent other people from coming over and enjoying the place, as i say just do your homework and make sure its what you want to do, then do it!

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

If people who have sold up in UK are returning home, where are they going to live?

I know a few people in TRNC who would love to go back, but could never afford to buy a house back here now even if they were able to sell their property in Cyprus.

NanaJan

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Not everything in the UK is fine and dandy and especially when buying property. We have been to hell and back in the purchase of a small bungalow that was empty when we agreed to buy it and we did not have one to sell and so the whole thing should have gone through in about 4 weeks. Well fast forward 18months and we are just about to get the keys after problem after problem.

First the vendors tried to do the dirty on us (Insurance Company who had taken it in on an Equity release scheme) then our Solicitor made a mistake and it has gone on and on later involving Ombudsmen both financial and legal and another lawyer and even the Attorney General!!!!!!!!

So not only TRNC has problems.

Lilli

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

nana so sorry to hear of your problems, hope all is well now. At least you can get recourse via the ombudsman etc, no such luck here as all the cons are legal cons.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

It's not just over there where house prices have fallen...and still few buyers. Here, just outside the beautiful Llangollen, my place has been up for sale for over two years £40.000 LESS than the valuation and only had six viewings - the last being back in March.

I do think that we just have to wait, and hope that the recession ends soon.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Nana

Lilli is so right. Whilst you have experienced problems at least you had a means by which you could take legal recourse. Glad to hear that your problem has finally been sorted.

Paul

deputydawg

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

Thanks for all the responses to date which of course remain anecdotal but sourced from differing factors which should enable us all to form similar views. I do feel lucky that I have deeds but only by conceding to payment of taxes which were not due from the purchaser and paying bribes over a period of 6 years. I reiterate that I have the utmost compassion for those ensnared in the injustices of charges on paid for properties. That is more than anyone should have to bear but in my view we also have to keep an eye on the end game, ie "will it be the end of troubles when I gain my deeds". If for example factors such as health cause a need to return to UK can I sell my property. You would have to be very lucky and probably accept a massive loss on your investment. Who will buy here, even if the vendor holds deeds, as the purchaser still has to await PTB perhaps years or never? The PTB is the nub of the problems and used by government in their aim to delay/deny title ..cont

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

Tom Petty's song springs to mind...........

What goes up,must come down.........

I'm learning to fly but aint got wings.............

still,life goes on or show must go on as Freddie sung in his song.

64Stuart

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

I have recently purchased a home in Cyprus and plan to retire there. From some of the postings it looks like people have lost touch with the rest of the world. There was a property bubble all over europe and in north america. Prices do go down. Take a look at southern Spain where prices have tanked worse than in Cyprus

deputydawg

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Thre is no necessity for PTP only UK police checks. If the miltary really had security objections to a build it would not get past the foundations stage before it was demolished. If the current interpretations of the new rules for residency are correct it is clear that the government are starting a squeeze upon foreigners here. Effectively, this combined with PTP leaves little option other than sell to a local with Citizenship with no need for PTB just as Malta had a rule that foreigners can only sell to Maltese. Unlikely that EU, UN, UK will do much to stop these injustices, as with Spain, and when has Turkey ever worried about judgments or guidance from the Courts of Human Rights. If there is ever any settlement between N and S Cyprus with regard to ports or airports and "touche" on land issues, in my cynical view I believe it is already agreed that the S continue to "pluck their chickens" and the N "fleece their lambs". I hope somebody can paint a better picture please

scruff

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Many people without deeds are effectively trapped here, if the bulk of their money is tied up in property. Even people with deeds will have difficulty selling at a sensible price. This isn't just down to the credit crunch, but all the bad publicity this place has had for various reasons.

If selling was easier, then yes Brits that live here full time, would be leaving in droves. I have no doubt whatsoever about this. How many people have you ever met, who would ever buy here again, assuming they could sell??

blade

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

I would !

It is all about buying at the right price in the first place. In honesty anyone buying here knows there will be some risks as it is an unrecognised country. We all knew that when we brought.

Lots of people jumped in thinking that the property market here would raise in a big way. That hasn't happened and now everyone complains. I have said it before that if you can't afford the risk, stay home, don't do it. If financially you can afford it then go for it.

Property risks are there, where ever you buy, but its up to you alone to either buy or walk away.

Most people we know who have left have rented out their homes and gone elsewhere and rented, just waiting for something to change.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

RE msg 29, scruff: (...) If selling was easier, then yes Brits that live here full time, would be leaving in droves. (...)

=> Excuse me. Not only British people.

apc2010

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

playing devils advocate , if deeds where available easily and property easy to sell/buy , would you still want to leave , or is it the property problem making the reason to leave..??????

blade

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Over the years the TRNC goverment had made it harder and harder for us all to stay.

Maybe they should start a buy back scheme?

basheer

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

I bought a villa to come to when ever i wanted to ,I did not buy the villa with if and if ,if the politics end my retirement plans then thats it .And till then, I will enjoy Cyprus with a positive attitude, why bother to leave, selling your home at a reduced rate is a terrible feeling ,I say hell to all those fears (what if)if you own a home here enjoy it to the best unless there was a different reason for coming to cyprus otherwise stick to your first reason for coming here and enjoy cyprus

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

As TRNC Vaughan put it so well "They kill the geese that lay the golden egg" spot on

spider

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

basheer thats a very good way of thinking..most should try it as it helps,

Spider,X

john_good

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

basheer i hope your pockets are very deep each day thet find another rule to fleece non t/cs of their money.

if the ul treated t/cs like t/cs treat brits there would be uproar.

basheer

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 18:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

message 37 I understand the difference between those with homes and those with uncompleted ones

I was refering to those trying to sell and quit this dream they came for

the butler

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

I have just read in the daily mail that the housing market in the UK will not improve until 2014 at the earliest. There are thousands of homeowners who bought at the peak of the market, who now find themselves in negative equity. There are very few homes being sold and very few first time buyers because the building societies refuse to loan them money, so the situation in the UK is no better than in the TRNC as far as selling properties are concerned. I know there are lots of problems in the TRNC, with regard to deeds, mortgages memorandums etc. but constantly moaning about them on open websites are putting off the very buyers who could just possibly be looking to purchase your homes. It is time to stop all this negativety and try and make the best of what a lot of you have got. A country where the majority of people are friendly, a low crime rate, a place where the sun shines for 10 months of the year. cont...

the butler

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

We have had problems, our properties were mortgaged but fortunately we have been lucky and the developer has paid them off. We still haven't got our deeds but we keep hoping that we will. All this hasn't put us off retiring here next year, we intend to enjoy what we have for as long as we can.

The butlers wife

deputydawg

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

I have a love and experience of Cyprus and it's people, both TC and GC, which spans many decades and yes I was here during "the troubles". I do not wish to sell or leave nor make a financial killing on any sale. I simply deplore the governments who are manipulating legislation and ignoring their own laws to cause so much misery and loss to imigrants to the extent that I have difficulty sleeping at night worrying about these victims and whether or not at the end of the day if they achieve deeds in their name they will be rendered invalid. Losing 6 aggregated years of temporary residency qualification by going to UK for over 30 days in one year does not help. What next reduced to 7 days ?

wynyardman

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

deputydawg,

I think that you speak for many of us in Msg41. Why will they not listen and support The Brits, that have given so much to support them.

In reality it really is quite shameful. Well said!

wynyardman

deputydawg

Message Posted:
31/08/2010 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

wynyardman. I admire your ability to share with others a keen sense of humour at a time when you are also having to maintain great strength of character and tenacity to try and right a massive wrong. Many would have "gone around the back and fallen on their sword". I sincerely hope that you and others recover what is yours.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.