North Cyprus Tourist Board - TWO bad accidents today on each side of Kyrenia - When will they learn
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TWO bad accidents today on each side of Kyrenia - When will they learn

TWO bad accidents today on each side of Kyrenia - When will they learn

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Kyrenia North Cyprus

» Kyrenia Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Sights

HildySmith

Message Posted:
02/09/2010 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

We drove from Alsancak to Karakum/Catalkoi this afternoon and saw the results of 2 bad accidents within half an hour.

The cars on Alsancak were off the road and one was on its side with a family sitting around and the second car was also off the road - very serious accident.

The other accident was also a serious one - air bags activated and windscreen showed signs of impact both cars badly damaged.

WHEN WILL DRIVERS LEARN???????

I hope they are all OK, the whole journey involved hearing Ambulance sirens.

negativenick

Message Posted:
02/09/2010 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

i think it was my uncle percy that said

Post edited for offensive remark ------ Simbas

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

msg 2;

"if god had uve wanted TC's to drive, he'd have given 'em brains"

What doeas that make you,coming over,buying and living in TRNC?

Perhaps a retired solicitor from UK who has less brains then TCs.

ps.apologies to msg 1 for going of topic.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

I was driving from Karisiyaka to Lapta strip yesterday. Going at the legal speed limit, a white van came up behind me, was about 6inches off my back bumper. Really annoyed me. I should have just slammed on the brakes, would have been his fault and his insurance to pay out.

Yorgozlu, now that I am used to driving here I generally find it ok. It's just the occasional idiot like I said above. To be honest I find the tourists/some of the expats more infuriating. We're guests in your beautiful country and should adapt to it.

spider

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

Lets hope and pray that very soon it will be Law to fit child seats in the cars over here..because I am tired of shaking my head every time I see a TC family showing off their wonderful children with great pride only to sit them on the front of their cars with the mother and no seatbelts either..All i an do is shake my head and wonder if they will see the same children grow into teenagers...Its too late once that child is through the WINDOW..are they all blink to this ?

Spider,X I just shudder..

Blackbird

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

A familiar tale...just like here in North Wales. The other day a foreign lorry drove for some distance on the wrong side of the road despite my efforts to attract his attention. It was just luck that nothing was coming the other way!

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Spider whats worse, they one who over took me the other day as i was indicating to go right, passed me on the right. Child in his lap, fag in his hand, mobile in other. I chased him and gave him hell. I said you risked my life, this beautiful child's life what for in this beat up mercedes. Shrug, My daughter loves to drive. What the hell to you say to these idiots

deputydawg

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

Laptamike. When tailgated have you tried flicking your side lights on and off giving the impression that you are braking? Usually gets them fed up with braking themselves when not necessary and they normally back off. Far safer for you. If you are travelling at a reasonable speed you can give a very hard squirt on your front windscreen washers which will take the solvent over the roof of your vehicle onto their windscreen when their wipers are not on and the "white out" and fright soon passes the message "p..s off". If you are lucky and come to a roundabout where they are forced to wait behind you do not move onto the roundabout until vehicles coming from the right are on top of you then time it so that you can safely get on but the vehicle behind is stuck waiting another opportunity. In heavy traffic as you leave the roundabout by this time they are usually several if not dozens of vehicles back from your progress. Perhaps we should all swap ideas on dealing with these

Part of post edited for offensive expletive ....... Simbas

Jeannie

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 01:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Mike - message 4. When you say we should "adapt to it" do you mean we should 'adapt' to their style of driving and do the same You do realise that if you'd braked suddenly, possible causing him to go into the back of your car, it would probably have been your fault 'for driving in front of him'. Honest; I've seen it happen

Message 8 - dd - sounds like a fine idea; I shall start making notes. I especially like the one that includes the use of windscreen wipers.

J

waddo

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 06:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

Message 8. What wonderful ways to annoy another driver, must have taken you ages to think them all up but you missed the high intensity lamp you can use instead of brake lights!

How about just slowing down and letting them get past or are all your journeys so important that you must be there first?

Defensive driving please, look ahead and stay alive. Never forget that you are the only one on the road who can drive and you are supposed to avoid all the others!

Experiance of both Cypriots and Maltese show me they do not bother with the rear view mirro - what is behind them is past - therefore they are only looking in front so they know how close they are. Try adopting the same system here and don't spend so much time worrying about what is behind you.

Rocker

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

Again its assumed the people were TCs!!!! Where we live its mainly all Brits, and some drive like idiots, one family regularly drives with the Children hanging out if the sun roof, another with children in the boot and seat belts well they are a optiional extra. One day it will happen to them

simbas

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 07:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

Msg 2 edited for reason given

Simbas

proger1

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 08:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

waddo, can't agree more. I have said it before and I will say it again, the british seem to thuink they have the only driving technique in the world that works and yet they struggle to adapt to other countries driving techniques.

Defensive driving is the way to go folks, accidents happen and as Hildy pointed out it can be a dangerous place if you let it.

Instead of worrying about what you can do to legally annoy the driver behind you into doing something even more rash try getting out of the way. If you are getting annoyed enough to start planning what you can do back, you are allready on the verge of road rage and are just as bad as them.

For those who don't know what defensive driving is, in a nutshell, assume the other driver/drivers will do the worst possible thing no matter how rediculous it seems and plan for it happening, if it doesn't then you are safe, if it does you have planned to avoid it.

Stay safe, if you aren't here who will do the whinging

iceman

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 08:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

Simbas

You should not have edited this idiots post, so everyone can see what a he is.

Part of post edited for offensive expletive ------- Simbas

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

I always give them 2 warnings with the hazzard lights before I slam my brakes on. It seems to work. I think I gave one dolmus driver a heart-attack once! He had to pull off the road and stop! (Don't worry, there were no passengers in the dolmus! I checked first!)

CJtill

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

We have all seen it where the bloke (they are always men) in your mirror is snarling and desperate to get past so he takes a chance and overtakes when he is not sure whether its safe.

This is no problem UNLESS the same thing is happening in the opposite direction and then crash, bang wallop.

Michael

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

What about the 'older man' who creeps along in his clapped-out old banger and then when I decide to overtake him, as soon as he sees me he decides he WILL NOT be overtaken by a woman so he presses some secret turbo switch in his car and speeds up so I can't get past. At this point I just slow down and pull in back behind him. Idiot! Happens a lot on the Girne-Lefkosa road.

BoTanica

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

Mess 15

I flick the hazzard lights on too if they are too close - but must say I would never have the guts to slam the brakes on!!

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

If someone is too close, being honest, I do end up using my brakes, normally gives them a short sharp shock.

What worries me is the old renaults on the road, that stink of petrol fumes. A hard sharp shunt up the rear could ignite the thing.

Two weeks ago there was a serious accident on the new bypass, just learned the 8y/o child in the back of one of the cars involved will neveer walk again. Just makes you think.

proger1

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

will it make you think not to hit your brakes and possibly cretae an accident that might not have happened if you had not decided to be aggresive, if the answer is Yes then well done.

What you could do is slowly apply the brake so as not to give them a short shock and potentially create an accident and let them go around, once they are past you can get back to normal driving and they can annoy the next driver.

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

Proj, do you really think I'd stick on the emergency brake lol....

It is small touches on the brake to try and make em realise...not that it works on half of em.

proger1

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

sorry Gooner, I wasn't actually directing that at anybody but I did borrow the makes you think part from your post. I have been in a car when someone has actually slammed their foot down and the car behind has been forced to swerve off the road, down an embankment, nose dived into the ground and flipped onto the roof, he then sped off swearing at the top of his voice that they deserved whatever happened, I don't know to this day what happened or who was in the car, I called the police about the accident and they called me back later to thank me for my attentiveness but wouldn't release details and it did not make the papers that I was so hopefully it wasn't serious.

I felt rather guilty being thanked by the police knowing that it was the idiocy of the driver I was sat next to that caused an accident out of frustration but I have to say, I did learn a lot about being patient when driving.

We complain about these old cars but if they panic and hit the brake, what might happen

hilda

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

Jeannie,

do not take the advice of message 8,it really is hard to believe a man in his 60s thinks this way,if he really was a army officeri dread to think of the men under his command

deputydawg

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

I agree with defensive driving techniques but the problem of letting someone pass who is tailgating is that those who do that are the same ones who will have no hesitation in then pulling back in front of you taking your safe braking distance or your even your offside wing. I prefer positive defensive driving ie do your best to drive properly and safely but when encountering the dangerous drivers try and leave them with the risks and not yourself and passengers. Those who seek to drive aggressively will increase in numbers if they can always intimidate.

simbas

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

msg 8 edited for reason given

Simbas

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

One of the first things they need to do here is to set an insurance premium that reflects the drivers age, experience (or lack of it) and motoring record. Pricing young drivers out of powerful cars would be of great benefit.

vonny

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

I also squirm when i see kids in cars without proper safety,but message 5,why do you assume its only tc's that do this-..because I am tired of shaking my head every time I see a TC family showing off their wonderful children with great pride only to sit them on the front of their cars with the mother and no seatbelts either..All i an do is shake my head and wonder if they will see the same children grow into teenagers,

I also think,you can't just say tc's are the bad drivers and say that everytime an accident happens it must be a turkish cypriot, between mainland turks,brits and other nationalities driving on our roads the tc's are well out numbered.

Going back to child safety in a car,In July my baby grandaughter came over from London for a holiday and we needed to get a car seat for her, we went to many shops here and there werent many available or the ones we did manage to find were way over the top prices.eventually a nice Turkish Cypriot family gave us theirs cont

vonny

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

continued-

free of charge as their son had grown out of it,they wanted to buy a booster seat but couldnt find one anywhere. when i was in London last month i brought over a booster seat for him along with another one for another tc family. So my point is,,if these seats are not widely available for people here at reasonable prices,can you blame them for not restraining their kids.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

Some of the bikers are just as bad. I saw a man pull away from a shop on a motor bike. He had a little girl about 4 years old sitting on the tank eating an ice cream - He was also eating an ice cream as he pulled away - how sick is that.

My children are now 41` - 45 years old and were NEVER EVER allowed in a car without seats/seatbelts this was in the 60's long before any laws were invented or belts fitted to cars. We had to buy them specially and fit them or get them fitted - the reason we did this is because we love our children and didn't want any harm to come to them if I could prevent it.

proger1

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

vonny, there are plenty of shops with child seats available here, and if the problem is price for you then you seriously need to consider what is the priority, safety of children or your bank account. There are evn car hire companies thsat will supply them and baby equipment rental shops.

It hasn't got alot to do with driving here safely but I couldn't help myself, sorry. My child is more important to me than how much I think I am being over charged.

vonny

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

proger1, please understand i always had car seats for my children,i also worked with children for over 25 years and always made sure they had proper car seats. i did say when my baby grandaughter came over for 2 weeks i did have a problem finding a seat, they were costly,yes, but if i had not of managed to get a seat for her then i would of bought one for her. what i am saying is-many people are struggling,there seems to be no strict law on it,theres no tv adverts ,newspaper adverts ,or posters around showing what could happen to a child in the event of an accident.

Could i also ask you one question please. when you where a small child, were you carried around in your parents car in a childseat?

i do think its wrong a child not being in a seat but i think there needs to be done to show parents what could happen

Rocker

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

I had the Pleasure of teaching first aid to the bikers a year or so ago, most had no crash helmets, those that did a majority had them on their elbow. Many riding bikes far to big and powerful , then theyb wonder why they crash, jsut lik e the UK before the law was brought in about crach helmets thats for those who can remember.

Rocker

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

Forgot to add since then several have had serious accidents and to my knowledge two are dead.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

Rocker;

With all due respect,dont you think you could also die even with a helmet on?

Dont get me wrong,20+ years riding and never without one,seat belt is on before I even start the car.

My bike is 1500 cc,purely because 'bigger and louder' is safer.At least from some of the so called drivers.

If you cant see me,you can at least hear me.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

msg 34 cont.

In UK 'WE' wore %1 patches.The meaning of that is,'only %1 of the riders are BAD'.So,please dont paint us all with the same brush.

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

When we were over recently we saw loads of people on bikes with children sat with them. One had a really small child in front of him and a slightly older child clinging on behind. It makes you cringe to think what could happen.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

Hilda, my replies at 8 and 24 were a light hearted attempt to discourage drivers from braking sharply in front of tailgaters and offer safer options. Some may reply with ideas more sound. These comments did not warrant an attack by you at 23 on the truth and value of my earlier life nor to influence a lady who I consider to be highly intelligent and able to form her own views. Soldier's mantras include defend yourself at all times and each other. I was a soldier at all ranks for 16 years before I was commissioned so given the chance I think they would tell you in motoring parlance "engage your brain before driving the mouth". If that it not validity enough, check the N Year's Honours List 1974 (MD) where you will find my name pursuant to a citation which includes words above and beyond to ensure the welfare of all soldiers and their families and a quality of leadership in the finest traditions of the Service. Have to beat my own drum to illustrate "don't spite those unknown to you"

Rocker

Message Posted:
03/09/2010 17:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

Re msg 34 yes I accept what you say but wearing a helmet gives a far better chance of survival, but its not up to me, I do not like seeing good people dying.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
04/09/2010 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

I was on the bypass today, just turning off to girne. My mum nearly had a heart attack. A car was in the other lane of the sliproad just slightly ahead of us. Some idiot going considerably faster than either of us swerved between us, missing both cars by inches. I had anticipated it about a second before so had slow down just enough for him not to cause a three car accident. Really are some idiotic drivers on the road (Not just NC by the way)

Jeannie

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 01:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

Hilda - your message 23. I apologise if you misunderstood my response to deputydawg's previous message. I answered in the same way I felt his message was intended, i.e. 'tongue in cheek'.

deputydawg - many thanks indeed for the compliment - I've been accused on 44 of being a lot of things, but never 'intelligent'

Regards.

Jean

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.