North Cyprus Tourist Board - need more info on moving to northern cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > need more info on moving to northern cyprus

need more info on moving to northern cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

j22kmm

Message Posted:
08/08/2008 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

hi my husband and i want to move to northern cyprus but we need more info on jobs as here my husband is a lorry driver, but not really worried what he does. we have 3 boys so can anyone give me info on english schools please. my parents live in lapta hence why we want to move but there retired so don't know much about family life out there, we are both 31 so can anyone tell us what we need to know, look forward to reading anything that people can tell us, thankyou kelly

simbas

Message Posted:
08/08/2008 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

hi j22kmm , welcome to the forum , this is a well asked question , please read all the relevant posts they are very informative , but basically do your research you can't do enough , don't sell your house in uk and rent in nc for 6mnths or so , jobs are very scarce and you would need a work permit , there are people on the board who have made the move and their advice is invaluable , and i'm sure they will respond to your request

good luck , simbas

The butler

Message Posted:
08/08/2008 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

H j22kmm,

I think you need to think long and hard before making this move, simba is right jobs are scarce and the pay is very poor compared to England. The english schools are private so you would need to pay 3 lots of fees. However, some people have made the move with children and seem to prosper and the weather, outdoor lifestyle and lack of crime make up for the material things you may have to do without living in Norther Cyprus.

The Butlers wife

tonyhickey

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 03:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Stay at home ,save and work hard for the next 25 YEARS then retire to the good life in the sun. Sorry to say there is no easy way in the real world

ishmail

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 03:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

good advise cyprus not the place right now many bad things hapening prices high low wages no jobs foreiners working illegaly sound like england?

but if you come here school is good if they go to local one they learn Turkish very well and no high fees 2 english childs at tatlisu sch ool and do very well

if you have money you will be ok but very hard to get job and work permits

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

The postings so far appear a bit negative but unfortunatley they are correct. If we had not retired here with a "safe income" then I would never entertain it.

I think simbas probably has her answer saved somewhere and just drags it into the box, she has said the same thing so many times.

Know one young family who made an instant decision to stay after a short visit. After 6 months they realised that what on the surface is great underneath it can be your worst nightmare.

If you are able the advice that most will offer is come here and rent for several months and live the life. Only thing with that is visa which only last 3 months and you would need to leave the country at that point to renew.

Good luck with what you decide.

ladylittle

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Hi,

Have lived here for 4 years, (I am 32) had a baby last year. I am not saying its easy here, but there is work, but you have to look for it. You can earn money, not on the same level as uk, but you have to look at the whole picture. I believe this is a wonderful place to bring children up. All you have to do is look at whats going on in the uk.

Obviously i am only speaking on my own personal experiance. My partner and I have never been out of work here, its not easy but in our opinion its a damn sight better than the Uk. But do come over and try it out, I had my job left open for a year when I first moved out. just try not to cut all ties in the uk, if you own a house, if you can, try not to sell it, leave your options open.

Good luck with your decisions

brian24001

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Do many months of reasearch.

Can't comment on wages here, don't know enough about them, but utilities are going up in line with or more than UK percentages, anyone comming here right now will be bringing sterling at a time when the exchange rate is hovering around a new year long low, so you wont get nearly as many ytl for your pound, jobs will be on the decline as the whole economy is struggling, and the construction industry is all but finished. As a lorry driver your husband would find it difficult to compete with locally avialable people, who don't need the employer to arrange a work permit, and I assume he doesn't speak Turkish.

Bottom line on finances, if you have to rely on income earned here, and have kids to school/feed, you will struggle to make ends meet.

Be careful about selling up in UK, though if you could sell, with the cash in the bank, and UK house prices set to tumble, you might well do nicely out of it.

Kids in private school, around GBP2,800 per year each.

Cars are expensive here, but daily cost of living less than UK.

Weather, quality of life, safety for kids and adults, no comparison with the UK.

Sorry of this sounds like further negative added to the above, but better to be well informed than potetially make costly mistakes.

As I said on the first line, do many months of research, all the answers are on this board and the trncvillaowners http://trncvillaowners.phpbb3now.com/index.php plus ther are some others, you just need to ask the questions.

Good luck

simbas

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

hi cyprus at home , no i don't have it saved { i'm not that clever on the computer } i'm sorry i repeat myself , but the same question seems to pop up time and time again , but the answer still remains the same , i will try and re-phrase it just for you next time , thats if it comes up again .

you have a good w/e , simbas

j22kmm

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

thankyou for all your advice we are coming out in 2 weeks to visit my parents so going to really look about and see. yes itd but its hard here and i need to be by my parents, we rent here so not losing anything in that respect and my partner will still have a job to come back to which is handy but understand will need some capital to come out with. if my parents wasn't there maybe i wouldn't be thinking about. have lots to think about, thankyou for taking the time and replying

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

hi i22kmm

all great advice from people and they are quite right in all they say ,however

you can be sure your children will be safe and will grow up knowing what

respect is ,something we have lost in the uk .

p.s cyprus is like a bug once you have been there its very hard to leave her

good luck

musin

j22kmm

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

hi musin yes the safety of my 3 boys are very important to my husband and i and england you can't let them out anymore especially when they get older in case there stabbed or shot and thats not how i want them to grow up, we just need to know we can get some sort of work to support us not to live like kings but just to have enough for us to survive there and enjoy the lifestyle of safety and the weather and be near my parents. thankyou for replying kelly

beach resort

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

people talk about low wages what is the average wage out there say a waiter or somethink like that...

ishmail

Message Posted:
09/08/2008 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

minimum wages 1060 ytl a month bout £460 gbp but if good at work tips mebbee good as well, lorry driver 1750 ytl bout £750 ytl month but work 50/60 hours week avarage

Lazy days

Message Posted:
10/08/2008 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

I do not know local people are able to survive on these wages, they must have a struggle, the people in the little bar / restaurant beside us say that they are seriously thinking of packing up and the other one that used to be next to us Nazar's has already closed, a sign of the times

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
10/08/2008 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

j22kmm

There is no price tag on the quality of time you will have with your kids over here. Its a lovely environment for them to grow up in. You can live well within your means i.e. bbq at home etc. Come with no pre conceived ideas and the chances of you being disappointed will be minimal. Good luck.

david123

Message Posted:
10/08/2008 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Hi j22kkm,

it will work if you want it to, there are jobs just depends if you want to do them, but at the end of the day what can go wrong, you will have to come back to the uk, not the end of the world just do it, thanks.

David

ishmail

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 07:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Please, we love our countrie but not sure it's that safe anymore peoples gettin there bags snatched, people getting gunned down in the street in brod daylight, polis shootin at people in airport car park, fights breaking out everywhere rmember this in a countrie with only 230000 peoples, 10 years ago hardly any body in jails now jails full gettin like england ever day

most foreiners work in cyprus without papers or permits and goverment will crack down soon on them prices goin throu the roof as well car tax tripled/electrictripled/water double and goin up/fuel up/food up so mebbee not so worth it unless plenty monies

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.