North Cyprus Tourist Board - crooks rule Couple left homeless by titles mess North South its a mess
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > crooks rule Couple left homeless by titles mess North South its a mess

crooks rule Couple left homeless by titles mess North South its a mess

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

YET ANOTHER case of title-deed misery and unscrupulous property dealers will conclude today, as a retired expatriate couple’s home goes up for auction in Larnaca.

Ken and Mary Hudson, both 72, will now face eviction from and repossession of a flat they bought in 2002, after the former owner failed to meet ongoing mortgage payments and the bank, which kept the title deeds, recently ordered repossession.

The Hudsons first came to Cyprus for a holiday in 2000 and “fell in love with the people, culture and community” here. When the opportunity to work for a charity in Cyprus came up in 2002, they returned and bought a flat in Larnaca, where they hoped to spend their retirement.

Mary Hudson said yesterday “A suitable property was found through an estate agent, registered in our name and paid for. We were told that solicitors were not necessary in Cyprus.”

They paid £24,000 Cypriot pounds (€41,200) for the flat, and even received paperwork from a notary to confirm their ownership.

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

However, shortly after they completed the purchase, they learnt that the bank had retained the title deeds because the owner had not completed mortgage payments for the property. Until the payments were completed, the Hudsons could not receive the title deeds.

“We were a bit naive I guess, but we were assured that this was not a problem in Cyprus as repossessions were rare, and that it everything would be paid off,” said Mary.

The former owner did not complete the repayments, and so two weeks ago, on August 21, the bank informed the couple their home would be put up for auction today. They immediately hired a solicitor, but under Cypriot law the couple has no claim on the deeds and despite sympathising with the couple, the courts decided the bank could go ahead with the auction.

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

“We must now find somewhere else to live, as we have no home and feel robbed and let down by a system. It appears to be unjust by making a totally innocent law abiding couple of self supporting pensioners homeless.”

In the meantime, they say, the owner has continued to live in another property that he owns, with no legal obligation to refund the couple.

Asked if they planned to take further legal action against the former owner, Mary said: “No, we don’t have the money to fight a legal battle, and besides, we are both 72 and I have no faith or trust in the democratic departments of the justice system or banks. We’re disgusted.”

Asked about their feelings towards the former owner, she said “He’s a crook, but a Cypriot crook and he’s obviously played the system. We trust in God and we know that in the end evil people don’t profit. As for me, I am not sure if I want to stay in such a corrupt place.”

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Many happy returns to the Cyprob

Its not the Turks or the greek Cyps but the crap law that allows legalised theft and governments north and south that support the stealing of peoples property by corrupt banks builders and their henchmen lawers

girne 29

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

'Its not the Turks or the greek Cyps but the crap law that allows legalised theft and governments north and south that support the stealing of peoples property by corrupt banks builders and their henchmen lawers '

Who runs the Govts North and South,who are the' corrupt banks builders and their henchmen lawers ' then, if not the GC's and TC's,?

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 03:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

The select and privileged and opportunists that are supported by the boated aforementioned crooks /polaticians

"Property purchase in Cyprus has become a by word for an almost impossible gamble, not to mention qualifying anyone considering a purchase as a suitable case for Psychiatric treatment, the odds are stacked so much against you that you have probably more chance of winning the European Lottery; and that is almost impossible odds."

SAD BUT TRUE

spider

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 06:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

These builders and banks have known all along what they are doing on both sides..the banks give the loans out to the builders who are desperate in the first instance knowing that the builder even more greedy to profit sell the said property that he NO LONGER OWN...The banks are playing the games giving money to a BANKRUPT builder..and the dirty thieving ducking builders know what their doing another fine example of TC,GCs being corrupt lying thieving little baskets ALL OF THEM..The next decade on either side are going to continue to see more and more pensioners in their 70s loosing everything...

Despicable financial rape of the Brits..about time they started to mortgage their parents homes to pay their own debts and keep their business dealings within the family..and about time that the banks stopped handing out money to these corrupt builders by first putting a stop on any resale of the mortgaged property..Is this not SIMPLE ENOUGH..Spider,X

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Congratulations, 'spider' - you absolutely 'put it in a nutshell' - no euphemisms = telling it how it REALLY is, on both sides of the 'divide'!

I would just like to add the time worn adage: 'There's no honour amongst thieves' - so, if both governments clearly and publicly condone the 'fraudulent practice(s)' of the type that are so blatantly perpetrated throughout Cyprus, they thoroughly deserve the increasingly stinking international reputation that they so utterly deserve. They are, obviously and currently, so cosseted in the cocoon of their ill-gotten gains, that they have become completely oblivious to the consequences for their entire nation. For this very reason, alone, they will never be able to come to terms with reconciling their differences!

ang1706

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

I am sorry to hear this story.

But I ask 2 questions, one, if it is an appartment block, how many appartments and what has happened to the other residents and where are they from?

Also i thought the South was in the EU? I have always been under the impression that joining EU meant that ALL Regulations were standardised and you had at least a common representative (EU) to appeal to! In this case it says 'Cypriot Law' states this can happen!

Yes the whole Island stinks at present and basically the Cypriots have chased off the 'Goose that lays a Golden Egg as nobody will buy here.

In the South the Holiday Hotel Occupancy rates are down even further than previous years and this will continue as more horror stories emerge like this.

the GC's want Varosha- what to do with it, as the Hotels they build there will be like Ayia Nappa barely 35% occupancy rate , or will it be like Protaras only used during the summer months by Government Workers on their long holidays!!

zerochlor

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

And the south is supposed to be part of the EU, what chance you got this side!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Ang

But I ask 2 questions, one, if it is an appartment block, how many appartments and what has happened to the other residents and where are they from?

Reading between the lines, it would appear that the couple bought from the owner of the apartment and not a developer. The 'owner' had taken a mortgage to buy the property but had failed to make all the payments. I would therefore assume that the rest of the apartments have been paid for by other owners. As the previous owner appears to own another property, I am surprised that the bank has not pursued him/her to recover the debt rather than the Brit couple. Cypriots sticking together ??

As for EU rules, this sale took place in 2002, long before the RoC's accession and might explain why EU rules cannot be implemented.

A very sad story all the same. The GC owner and the bank should hang their heads in shame.

Paul

ang1706

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks for enlightening me there Paul, but I thought that all EU Countries were given a set period of time to standardise all their Laws wether retrospective or not. I can say that the Spanish did as I was living there until 2005.

Also thanks for the sad story about the couple in the south, but surely the Notary would have ensured that any debt was paid, or as I suspect the Greek Owner hoodwinked them. Shame

Bradus

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

The owner most likely had his other property put in the name of another family member. Not for one minute do I think that this situation, which is happening in the North and South of the island, is occurring because of sellers, builders and developers running into financial difficulties, it is planned and happens because there is a loop hole in the law which allows unscrupulous people to commit fraud legally without the possibility of criminal prosecution.

I don't know about the bank and GC owner hanging their heads in shame I think we should all be ashamed that such things can happen in what is supposed to be a civilised society governed by EU laws.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Messages 7 and 8,Spider and Tenakoutau,

Very well put and much to the point. It is about time this is put in the public domain.

As my mother (deceased) used to say. "Tell the truth and shame the devil" and God only knows some of these Government supported (by default) scams must be the work of the devil. Depriving pensioners of their homes by illegal and deceitful practices.

Lets keep telling it as it is until they take action to make it right .Dr Ergolu...I mean you!

Its OK keep telling these people to hang their heads in shame. They move on to bigger and more lucrative scams, or run off and hide in mother TURKEY.

TURKEY is the "T" in TRNC. Its their problem, or soon will be. NOW is the time to take action if they wish

to get the International recognition and acceptance that they seek.

Wynyardman

wanderer

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/couple-left-homeless-titles-mess/20100905

red the readers comments below as well for the depth of feeling

spider

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

One commented that this is the tip of the Iceberg,...SURE AS HELL IS. ! wanerer read the comments below for the depth of the feelings...It feels to me that some people were born without ANY..But once the Iceberg breaks open its human nature to feel HURT and ANGER maybe just maybe the governments on both sides will wonder why they never saw it coming !! Yah RIGHT....Will they be ready for the reactions ?

Spider,X

Bradus

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

There may just be a solution for some:

September 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Nigel Howarth comments:

@Denton Mackrell

The ‘Unfair Commercial Practices Directive’ – 2005/29/EC makes interesting reading:

Article 7

Misleading omissions

1. A commercial practice shall be regarded as misleading if, in its factual context, taking account of all its features and circumstances and the limitations of the communication medium, it omits material information that the average consumer needs, according to the context, to take an informed transactional decision and thereby causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision that he would not have taken otherwise.

Bradus

Message Posted:
05/09/2010 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

According to a mini-survey conducted recently, 1,012 (98%) of the 1,036 people who voted would not have bought a property in Cyprus had they known the land it was built on was mortgaged.

This fact that this ‘material information’ was omitted leads me to suspect that property developers and their pals in the legal profession are in breach of this Directive.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.