North Cyprus Tourist Board - WARNING - Seker Sigorta Insurance
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > WARNING - Seker Sigorta Insurance

WARNING - Seker Sigorta Insurance

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

The following has been our experience to date with this insurance company.

We took out an insurance policy on the contents of our house so that in the event of fire, flood or theft we at least would have some protection and recompense. As with all insurances we hoped not to have to use it.

That hope was dashed for us when on the 6th May this year we woke to find an intruder in our house, more specifically in our bedroom. He (or they) had entered our house and from my handbag had taken in the region of £700 cash, sterling and lira, and also my mobile phone. Also from downstairs a watch and an iPod were taken. Not content with this he then proceeded to come upstairs and into the bedroom. It was at this point that I woke up and he fled. It was not possible to see in which direction he went and the location lends itself to plenty of hiding places. All the usual procedures followed police, statements, finger printing etc and the next day we contacted our insurance broker who im

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

cont.......immediately told us that the cash would not be covered as it has to be in a safe so we accepted this, she did say that the other items taken would be covered.

We waited some weeks and when we still had no contact from the insurance company we began to phone the main office ourselves (Seker Sigorta office). I do not have an account of every call but 15 – 20 would not be an exaggeration. For many weeks they told us that they were waiting for the police report which they said that they had applied for on the 18th May. Eventually on the 5th July Seker Sigorta informed us that the items which had been stolen were not covered by our insurance and that only the furnishings were covered. We then contacted our broker with this information and she was surprised and annoyed and said she would contact them. She had her solicitor look at the small print of such insurance policies and she was informed that at the very least we should be entitled to 5% of the value of the contents.

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

. Seker Sigorta did not agree to this and at this point she has sent them a solicitor’s letter informing them that we are entitled to 5%.

It is now the 6th September and we still await an outcome.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who has insurance should ask to have it checked and confirmed for them that what you think you have insured is actually insured.

We would have much preferred not to have had the need to use the insurance as the experience was quite frightening but this has turned to a lot of annoyance and we feel that others should be alerted.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Is seker sigorta the insurance company or the broker?

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Seker Sigorta are the insurance company, many brokers sell their Home "insurance" policies.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Carmel,

It isn't just insurance in TRNC that will not pay out for stolen items. We had a travel policy with Saga, not being resident in Cyprus, we also have insurance with Gunes Sigorta for building and contents of our house in Ozankoy.

Two years ago we had a break-in, again we were asleep in bed and thankfully they didn't come upstairs.

They took jewellery and cash from my handbag, but left the bag complete with credit cards outside the window they entered. We were advised to get the police report ( another long story ) ourselves and claim on the holiday policy because it was unlikely that the home insurance would pay for 'un-named' personal items!!

Saga asked if I had photos of me wearing the jewellery?? I didn't and so they asked me to get pictures as close as possible to the stolen items and prices from jewellers. This was done, AND then they pointed out the small print on the policy. £500 is the maximum for jewellery and cash not in a safe was not covered either.

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Yes I am quite sure there are other insurance companies who don't/won't pay but I think it needs to be highlighted as I feel I have wasted my money having this insurance.

DesiH

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

If you have a Seker Sigorta policy you may wish to check directly with Seker Sigorta what losses your insurance policy will actually cover. Your broker may genuinely be unaware that Seker Sigorta do not honour their obligations to policyholders.

Seker Sigorta direct phone numbers are :- 0533 8695151 OR 0392 227 9646

Maz

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

From what I have heard it is wise to check all insurance policies here to see exactly for what you are covered. Building insurance is not quite the same as in U.K, so probably others are not either. It could be a wise move to double check whether withy Broker or with the insurance company itself as to just what is insured, and how much excess there is! I heard (and I repeat, 'heard') that someone had an excess of 25% and thought it was 25% of any claim but it was 25% of the value of the building. Hence damage done to a property valued at £100,000 meant the excess was £25,000. But as I say , I heard it. So, do double check!

glw215

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Can anyone on the board please advise if they have had a successful insurance claim after a house burglary? Perhaps Seker Sigorta are not the only company who do not pay out on valid claims.

DesiH

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Can anyone on Cyprus 44 let us have details of a successful claim for theft from Seker Sigorta (insurance?)?

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Carmel. When they gave you a copy of the insurance policy was it written in English or Turkish?

Carmel

Message Posted:
06/09/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

The policy was in Turkish but we were assured that it covered the contents of our house and that assurance continued until 5th July when we were informed that the items taken did not constitute 'contents', no further explanation offered.

WotNoDeeds!

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Can anyone please recommend a good insurance company for home and contents and also car insurance.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

WotnoDeeds

I have contents insurance through Creditwest.

I had some of my contents damaged during the floods last winter and am happy to say that the claim was paid in full about 6 weeks later. Incidentally they give you copies of your policy in both English and Turkish.

Paul

JohnW

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 10:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Here is another possible issue.

One of our customer's, who was in the UK at the time and had some flood damage, was refused payment because the claim was not submitted within five days of the damage as required in the policy.

Of course, many people have their villas "looked after" but this limitation would require a villa to be checked virtually every day.

Have another close look at your policies.

John

Cyprus Solutions

DesiH

Message Posted:
07/09/2010 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Amybody had any successful claims for theft from Seker Sigorta?

DesiH

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Has anyone ever had ANY successful claim from SEKER Sigorta????

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

I used to have full car insurance with Seker and I have to say they were fantastic. I'm not very good at parking and managed to take half the side of the car off during one attempt. I rang Seker and they told me to bring the car into Lefkosa, to the Head Office. I did and I signed something, the car was taken away to be repaired and I was given a courtesy car. I picked the car up the following day, from a garage in Girne, signed a piece of paper and that was that! Couldn't have been easier!! My car insurance was changed to Secure, by Seker Bank, this year at a much lower cost. I am obliged to use insurance through the bank as I bought my car with a bank loan from them. (Only 2 more years to pay!!!)

WotNoDeeds!

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Paul, Thank you for recommending Creditwest - will check them out

Nedjip

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Hi, you can contact with Mrs. Hazan Ercelik to get a very good quote for comprehensive and 3rd party car insurance, she is working for Gunes Insurance, she speaks very good English and Gunes Insurance is a corporation (stock exchange company in Turkey IMKB) (is an affiliate of GROUPAMA, one of the leading insurance companies in FRANCE and VAKIFBANK TURKEY), you can get very good quotes... Call her from 05338665310 or visit http://www.northcyprusinsurance.com for more information.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

I feel a great explosion of a bazooka coming on!

Richard

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.