North Cyprus Tourist Board - eating experience at Deks Bogaz
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > eating experience at Deks Bogaz

eating experience at Deks Bogaz

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

On the penultimate day of our Cyprus expedition, we decided to try a 'new' restaurant down the road from out villa, we had heard of strange mismatching in the management and flickering ownership, but we were not to be deterred! We arrived at Dek's in full spirit and with equally anxious stomachs.

After entering the establishment and eyeing the bar of all the liquors and fineries, we were greeted by the man, who we presume is the owner, asked us if we had booked. Booking is not a tradition or a past-time that my family welcomes or even takes part in, and, certainly, by looking at the solitary tables with the chairs unoccupied, neither was Dek. We pondered the request for a booking, much to some amusement, whilst trying to make the connection between the need for reservations and empty plaza that we had been provided. We ensured Dek that we had no such foresight, only to be assured that we weren't dining at McDonald's and that people often held down the tables for entire nights on

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

I'm intrigued. Hurry up and post the next installment please

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

We would later discover the reason for this commandeering, not out of spite, or perhaps enjoyment of the services, but for the multiple courses that would have to be ordered to fill one's belly.

We were offered any seat, especially the one in the centre of the stoned square, any one as long as it was that one, which put the evening in a bad light to start, despite having draft beers and mismatching pint glasses, we continued to dine. The menu, which was not printed, but on the inside of the establishment chalked on to blackboards in a typically English manner comprised of a few small gimmicks in order to give the place a sense of swagger and place itself higher in the restaurant hierarchy. But what caught my eye was the spicy Caribbean chicken, and when we ordered we were assured that with the looming flight following the nights events, that as a favour to my bowels, we were to order the 'medium' spice as the proprietor compared it to a high spice English curry, which I h

Jeannie

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

heliotropic - I am laughing out loud at your extremely witty posts. Please don't leave it as long for Part 3

I am on the edge of my seat (at the computer).

Jean

PS On second thoughts, perhaps I should get out more!

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

I'm with you Jeannie. Cannot go to bed until I've read the next installment

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

which I had accustomed myself to years prior to the dine, so myself and a fellow diner thought this would be a wise choice, which my other associates ordering fish, mushroom sauced chicken and lasagne.

After taking in the home-from-home atmosphere that Deks offered, with a typically English attitude to catering and with an equally English audience pouring in through the doors, we were eventually plated with out meals.

After realising that what were given would be the entirety of our meal, I gathered that when he asked me how I would like my chicken the correct answer would have been 'slightly larger'. I claim to be no expert in fine dining, but Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver would have been surprised at the portions handed to us. My lasagne comrade was given what seemed to be a match box sized tray that housed the small pasta dish, which he told us was enjoyable, the chicken diner was given what looked like a solitary chicken breast coated in a grey ectoplasm, tbc

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

the fish looked like an admiral portion, and the Caribbean chicken following the mushroom’s suit.

I can only speak for the Caribbean chicken’s taste, but it was lacking something. The sauce was enjoyable enough, and the chicken tasting as chicken does with little surprise, but the question of spice was one that would remain unanswered. I was under the pretence that the English had bastardized the world of curries, throwing chillies and chilli powder where it wasn’t due, and where it was in gigantic measures, sadly Dek obviously wasn’t brought up in an area where spice was used more often than salt in cooking. In hindsight, I have had spicier bowel movements than this curry, but to describe this as a medium spice curry would be to describe the meal as good for value.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

"...I claim to be no expert in fine dining, but Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver would have been surprised at the portions handed to us....."

) ) )

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Overall, the meal was OK, it wasn’t amazing, it didn’t jump out at me, we were greeted by a rude host and then fed below average food. If it wasn’t for the surrounding options Deks would have had a better chance in the market, but for the same price as the below substantial chicken we could have dined on a fish meze, which from previous experience would have been a better option.

Do you want the happy ending lol?

Jeannie

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

heliotropic

You have given me the best laugh I have had in ages. Tell me, are you a journalist (no offence intended)). You surely must be a writer of some description?

Well, whatever your occupation, I thank you.

Warm regards and thanks for the laugh.

Jean

PS I'm still giggling - not an attractive attribute for a woman of almost 60. You've made my day!

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

HelloTropic. How often do you have these "spicier Bowel movements"?

Hilarious! )

heliotropic

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Despite the disappointment of the previous meal, me and my fellow diners headed back to our apartment and finally feasted on that most succulent and satisfying dish of the evening - cheese & onion crisps.

I am no journalist, I'm a student with no previous experience in reviews or journalism of any sort. My spicier bowel movements generally follow a spicy meal, which I can say, hand on heart, was not followed by the described evening's eat. However the evening was made 'special' by making us feel we were lucky to dine there without appointment.............

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for the hilarious review. Will you be going back to try something else on the menu???

Maz

Message Posted:
09/09/2010 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Oh dear - sounds as if the message is 'Come Back, Moon Over the Water' - which was comfy, homely, inviting, warm, friendly, well priced etc, etc but perhaps not quite as up beat as the place now is. Personally I liked it as it was with its ambience, home made bread and cakes, and the ability to take my dog to join the others already there fighting for a place in front of the fire (winter time, of course).

But life changes, doesn't it. Shame, innit!

andrew4232

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 02:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

maybe there after the booker prize

heliotropic

Message Posted:
10/09/2010 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Shan't be going back! Chalk that one up to an expensive learning curve. We all felt like naughty school kids there, he even told my son off for not saying thank-you when he poured him a drink. It wasn't comfy, ambient and there was no bread on the table. My sons review was quite articulate, mine would have been slightly more bunt lol.

Shame because it could have been so nice, it has potential there.

wattys

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Helotropic

You seem to be someone trying to kill a business.

First you have a VILLA just down the road from Deks then you go back to your APARTMENT.

Deks is a 40 min drive from Deks not down the raod

You say that you were asked if you had booked this is standard practice in good establishments.

You said the owner (Keith) was rude, this is total BS i have always found him to be a very hospitable host maybe you were rude to him to start with, it seems you must have a attitude problem.

Some locals go to Dek's and ask for the same table that's why there was probably solitary tables.

You say you felt like naughty school kids that's because the way you have sent this thread it makes you sound like one, or just a total prat.

I have just got back from Bogaz and have eaten at Dek's three times in the last two weeks and other always been treated with courtesy and good food.

Put your brain into gear before sending such a disrespectful thread, and get your facts right

Tinkie

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Oh come on...there was nothing in that post that would be damaging enough to 'kill a business'...this is a forum where people are entitled to their opinions and if someone cant review a restaurant without being insulted its a sorry state of affairs.... Each to his own, not everyone has to have the same opion on a restaurant as you wattys, and the review certainly wasnt terrible and would not put me off of trying it and making my own mind up.

wattys

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Tinkie

I agree that everyone has an opinion but when making it make sure you tell the truth, maybe it would not kill the business but it was not sent in the right context.

If he was dissapointed with the service and the food why did he not make the point to Keith or was he just prepard to come on this site and slag the place off, even in a light hearted way this is not the way to do a review.

Pixie

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

I thought it was articulate yet hilarious.

clifhanger

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

HERE HERE PIXIE

although as with wonky donkey and the punjab thread there seems to be 3 sides to every story.

wattys

Message Posted:
13/09/2010 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Pixie

How can it be articulate when at first they state they were in a villa then an apartment.

The restaurant has been there years it is not new

Lets see what heliotrpic has to say about my comments.

icklepix

Message Posted:
24/09/2010 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

I would just like to say that we stopped in at Deks on our way to the Karpaz as we were slightly confused about the road that was closed. The lady who is one of the partners there was most helpful and as a result we stopped for lunch. We could see it was mostly English food and were happy on this occassion to eat as we only required a snack.

We both had a lovely jacket potato, so nothing grand and have no complaints about portion size,presentation or cost. All in all a lovely stopping off point and grateful for the advice she gave us.

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
24/09/2010 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

iclklepix I think that was the other Deks.

We have used that one many times on the way to the Karpaz andlike you, always enjoy the surroundings and the food. Always made to feel welcome too.

But Deks have just taken over Moon over the Water just outside Bogaz, so now have 2 places. I think the story relates to the New Deks at Bogaz and not the one on the Karpaz road.

icklepix

Message Posted:
24/09/2010 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

oh yes forgot there are 2, thanks for the reminder x

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.