North Cyprus Tourist Board - Medical Care In North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Medical Care In North Cyprus

Medical Care In North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

NCMan

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

We have all come here to live in a beautiful environment, me to 6 years ago.

We have been very happy , until this week.

A very old friend of ours had a massive heart attack on Monday & had to be admitted to Lefcosa General hospital

To say the hospital is clean would be an understatement, the quality of care is beyond words it is terrible , our poor friend bless him is 87 years old has no family here so i go daily to visit him.

Every day i get there he is lying in a pool of his urine almost crying as he can not get out of bed himself His crys for assistance are ignored until i get there.

Please god do not if i fall ill put me into such prehistoric surrounds.

wino53

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

This is so sad, hope your friend makes a speedy recovery x

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

NCMan, I agree with your judgement of this hospital. I've been in there for three weeks and if you don't have any relatives or friends in TRNC who can help you daily - god (won't) help you. The nurses (only two years of training in TRNC, four years in Holland, I don't know how many years in the UK) are there mainly for medical help. They just don't give the daily care as is normal in Dutch hospitals. Well, living in TRNC we have to accept different circumstances from those we were used to.

On the other hand: the two heart surgeons (trained in Amsterdam Medical Centre ) who worked on me did an excellent job.

The state the hospital is in is a disgrace. The toilets were (are?) so filthy one would refuse to use them. Yesterday I was in Nicosia (Medikent Hospital, state of the art!) but that's not a hospital most 87 year old Cypriot Turks can afford. If the TRNC Health Minister knows his job, he has a lot of work to do. Will he?

helper

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

I will also pray for your friend. Recently my partner was also in Lefcosia hospital, he was in the nerosurgery ward on the fourth floor. I know the staff do the best that they can, but the conditions they have to work in are far from ideal. The staff from nerosurgery told me they are desperate for help to improve these conditions. They told me that all of the staff donated their own money to purchase the lilac paint and paid for a man to paint it to try to improve the ward. They also asked if anyone can help them. The work station area where medicines and drugs are storred is in an appaling state. The drugs are stored in an old wood cupboard and they have now discovered mice are invadeing this area. This is a HEALTH hazzard to all patients. This ward has patients from all nationalities, cultures and treats both adults and children. I feel that they deserve help to try to raise money to improve this area. Maybe someone can suggest sponsers or ways that they can raise cash

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

RE msg 4, helper: (...) Maybe someone can suggest sponsers or ways that they can raise cash (...)

=> How about a small part of the 500 million Euros or so Turkey donates to the TRNC every year?

helper

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Yeh that would help them, BUT how to get it- is the problem

NCMan

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you for all of your comments lets hope something gets done & quickly.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

NCman,

if your friend needs to get carers in to look after him while in hospital or when he is out contact TRNCHealthcare on 0533 884 5621 or e-mail trnchealthcare@gmail.com

Chris

brend

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

We must have been very lucky (again, look at my land deeds thread) My husband had a Heart attack 3 years ago whilst we were on holiday and we would not have got better treatment anywhere else in the world. He had the heart attack whilst at Amphora diving and they were very professional and insisted we went to Kyrenia Hospital (I thought he was having a stress attack) they took us there and the Hospital did tests and took him up to Lefcosia. By the time I got to Lefcosia he had had an operation and had a stent put in. From him having the attack at Escape beach to the time I arrived at Lefcosia was 90 minutes. Can't fault them.

Brend

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

These experiences are very different from mine.

I was twice admitted to the Cardiac Surgery ward on the 2nd floor. The ward has 2 bed rooms with the 2nd bed normally used by a relative and have clean private toilets/showers. The ward's cleaner rotates through each room at least 6 times every day. The staff were caring and extremely helpful - even searching the whole hospital for somebody (staff/patient/relative/visitor) to translate for me.

In addition I go every day for treatment in the hyperbaric chamber and Dr. Tariq and his staff are as friendly and helpful as you could wish for. The hyperbaric chamber is in the basement and there are still many signs of the flooding that occured earlier this year - but repairing/decorating are under way.

Remember also that TC families are extremely close and expect to be there to nurse family members - so it is not surprising that the healthcare regime has developed that way. It is the same reason there are no old people's homes here.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Brend,

Most of the Doctors here are really on the ball, and up to date with medicine nobody can fault them. Unfortunately nursing 'care' if you can call it that falls flat on it's face. No disrespect to the nurses the fault lies with the training as I see it, they are not taught that a holistic approach is needed things like personal and oral hygiene are part of the nursing process and aid recovery of the patient. They do things like tie patients to the bed if they become agitated yes to stop the patient hurting him/herself but don't seem to realise this is abuse! Okay maybe I am too used to NHS standards but believe me the sooner they listen the sooner the complaints will fall.

As in the UK people will always find something to complain about but they could at least try and keep the complaints to a minimum. just my opinion.

Chris

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

And an additional public vote of thanks to TRNC Healthcare who come to my house each weekend day to change my dressings.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
11/09/2010 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Jovial John,

I think the praise should go to Nurse Liz as she is your 'personal nurse' and from what I here is doing a grand job.Yes she is part of the team but what other team in NC can provide that personal touch?

Chris

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.