North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cyprus Airway's request turned down by Turkey
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cyprus Airway's request turned down by Turkey

Cyprus Airway's request turned down by Turkey

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

itsmestella

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 05:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

"Turkey has strongly turned out the request on Tuesday of the Cyprus Airways to open the air corridor for Greek Cypriot commercial planes. This is the only link with Europe since 1974. Cyprus Airways planes flying north have to take a long way around to avoid Turkish air space making the flights longer and costlier.

Erato Kozakou-Markoulli , the Transport Minister said that she had lodged a strong complain with her European counterparts, demanding to force Turkey to reconsider the ban."

:(

----------------------------

http://bit.ly/aqcU7Q

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 06:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

If Greece and ROC removed their objection to non-stop flights to the TRNC then I'm convinced the air-space would become available...

What yours is mine what's mine is my own... They want concessions but don't want to make any.

Jefferson

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 07:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Spot on Groucho.

Geoff

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

On the ball again Groucho, the GCs want everything but to compromise on nothing.

Just like spoilt kids.

Would the GCs like it if every Cyprus Airways flite to London had to first land in (broke) Greece??

Geoff

Famagusta City

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

The posters are reminded that it is Turkey who is 'in the dock' as they signed the 'Ankara Accord' - as part of the EU accession process.. allowing ALL EU member states aircraft the right to overfly and land - same with shipping.

There are no direct flights as IATA can't allow it because it would contravene UN security Council resolutions...

WHY are there UN Security Council Resolutions? ..Something to do with TR 'visiting' a sovereign state and 'forgetting' to leave ... and asking us to recognise 'TRNC'...

Seems to me that TR is a member of the UN, and signed an agreement re Customs Union with ALL EU member states and needs to comply .....

Hope that makes this clear....

Troodo

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

If I remember rightly, Turkey where about to say no to the Accord. At the last minute Britain intervened and suggested that Turkey be allowed to make it clear that this did not mean recognition of the Roc. What happened to that then?

ianwfs

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

While Mark is correct, it's not quite as simple as that.

Overflying rights are enshrined in the "5 Freedoms" of the 1944 Chicago convention. Specifically the First Freedom which gives "the right or privilege, in respect of scheduled international air services, granted by one State to another State or States to fly across its territory without landing." (ICAO quote)

Although Turkey is a signatory, as it doesn't recognise the RoC, it can't grant permission. By the same token, as the TRNC isn't recognised, no countries will allow overfly rights to the TRNC.

And before we get too critical of Greece, Turkey, and Cyprus, the First Freedom in recent years has become more and more optional. The USA is a prime example. It will refuse overfly rights to individual aircraft if it doesn't like the names of any of the passengers.

YFred

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

This just shows how pig headed the GCs are. They will not allow direct flights to TRNC even though their benefit if allowed access to Turkish ports would be astronomical compared to TRNCs benefit.

This is to form. In the 80's they were offered Varosa just to sit down at the negotiating table in the same room and they turned it down. Eventually they sat down in the same room without any reward. Every time they are offered it they refuse and yet they go on asking for it back. Is there a psychologist on the forum. Can they explain the stupidity of such mentality.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

As far as I remember, these things are all rewards for a "Comprehensive Settlement". E.g. in Annan or any other plan, GCs would get these things they want (Varosha, Flying rights, land, compo, etc) in return for them giving back to TCs certain rights.

However, they reject any deal then go on wanting everything.. This is understandable, as you would do the same if the UN / EU / USA recognise you as the sole international government and you never get penalised...

They want to get everything without giving anything in return. They got the EU membership saying no to Annan, so why stop?

cypruseagle

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 21:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

If the boot was on the other foot and Turkey wanted to fly to the Middle East over Southern Cyprus, the Cypriots would take great delight in telling them where to go

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Mark,

I think it's also fair to say that when the TRNC last applied for permission for direct flights Greek and GC objections were paramount in this being denied... i.e. if they'd have supported the application I have no doubt the outcome would have been very different.

YFred

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

You seem to have missed the whole point of my post. The fact is, before the comprehensive solution in the early 80's Varosa was offered as a stand alone reward for sitting in the same room as the TCs to negotiated. They turned it down as they claimed this would lead to recognition. And yet they eventually sat down without any reward. They have been offered both Varosa and Ports in Turkey for direct flights and and again they refused for the same reason. Just as they could not stop negotiations with TRNC eventually they will not be able to stop direct fights. Talat was originally told by the end of 2010 by the EU for direct flights. We shall see if they can put pressure on GCs to reverse their stubbornness.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Yfred re msg 12

What 'comprehensive soln' ??!! Do you mean 'creation' of 'TRNC' ;) ?

TR should NEVER have signed the Ankara Accord if they weren't going to 'deliver' ...

Example: in 2004 - when TR hosted in Ankara ... the RoC flag was flown and *Cyprus* was an entrant .. isn't it 'interesting' how TR facilitated the 'rump' RoC for a week ;) ?

YFred

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

After 74, there has been many attempts at a comprehensive solution to the Cyprus problem. At the beginning The GCs used to sit in one room and TCs in another. It was at this time that Varosa was offered for the GCs for the first time to just sit in the same room and it was turned down.

Troodo

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

TR should NEVER have signed the Ankara Accord if they weren't going to 'deliver' ...

Mmm.

I will say again - If I remember rightly, Turkey where about to say no to the Accord. At the last minute Britain intervened and suggested that Turkey be allowed to make it clear that this did not mean recognition of the Roc. What happened to that then?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Troodo

I didn't mean to appear to 'ignore' your point.. but TR signed the accord.... it was a Customs Union agreement re ALL EU members .....

YFred

Message Posted:
17/09/2010 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Troodo you are absolutely right. That is exactly how it happened.

Troodo

Message Posted:
18/09/2010 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

YFred. Is this another example of convenient amnesia towards Turkey? - surely not.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.