North Cyprus Tourist Board - [PROPAGANDA] Only if it concerns his GC friends
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [PROPAGANDA] Only if it concerns his GC friends

[PROPAGANDA] Only if it concerns his GC friends

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
18/09/2010 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

6xM in another thread [ http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/45331.asp ] "... when some folks can't live in their own homes ..."

Mark, you ignore again (I'm not surprised) that this goes for "some folks" in TRNC as well. Your re"mark" is one-sided once more hence propaganda as usual.

Furthermore, how long does it take - in your opinion - before a claim on a house and on land loses its validity? 36 years, fifty years, one hundred years, four centuries, eight centuries (this is a comprehensive history of Cyprus)? Or *never* - as long as it concerns your GC friends?

nurseawful

Message Posted:
18/09/2010 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Most of us live in OUR own homes as they were not here before 1974!

Chris

cypgab

Message Posted:
18/09/2010 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

But the land was.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
18/09/2010 23:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Hans, I actually agree with you for once

A neighbour of mine was born in Pathos, he is a TC. His family had to leave their ancestral home a few years before 1974 because the GC 'terrorists' were threatening to kill his family.

apc2010

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 01:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

hans , one question what was the ratio that were displaced pleased , or on your map could you put coluours for pre 74 areas , inc all the t/c land in paphos ...............

andre 514

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 03:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

the only way the two communities can live together is with a lot of give and take

but power sharing lasted just three years from 1960-1963 after it was foistered on cyprus

it appears that living separately not side by side, is the route of choice for cyprus

but it's the result of history and not my "take" on the situation, I have no "opinion" as such

if people suffer from say the evil isolations or having had to move in 1974,

surely compromise is the way to progress

relying on outside powers like turkey, russia or the eu-mix will never unify the island

even if people would think that should benefit them personally in some way or other

andre

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

I truly believe that most of the political world outside of Cyprus has now come to the awful realisation that there is no way back to a truly mixed Cypriot community.

It can't be forced upon them and if it were, as it has been and will remain, it would be a recipe for disaster.

There are simply too many recriminations and unsettled scores....

I feel things must go the way Kosovo (Kosova) and Serbia seems to be going. Two independent states agreeing to live together with an open border each with their own peace keeping forces and police. Pretty much how it is now but with more structure to the arrangement. Mutually beneficial changes would be made to re-align borders to more fairly divide those areas in neither side's use or control where practicable.

No amount of land re-alignment can put back population numbers to pre-74 figures... Those living here are living here... their right to exist just as relevant as anybody else's and those rights are enshrined in EU law.

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

If the south didn't want anyone from any part of the EU to take up residence on the island they ought never have joined the EU... in the same way France is treating the Roma illegally and will need to take them back or face sanctions.

You can't be a member of the EU and opt out of this main plank of EU legislation.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 08:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

RE msg 5, apc2010: (...) hans , one question what was the ratio that were displaced pleased , or on your map could you put coluours for pre 74 areas , inc all the t/c land in paphos ............... (...)

=> This map may answer your question (as close as I can show)? http://www.cyprusdownload.nl/BB_pics2/Cyp_map_population_movement_72.jpg

Troodo

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

What’s all this about GC homes? Most expats live in new homes built on scrubland. Even the TC's prefer to live in new homes rather than the hovels, oh sorry ancestral homes, abandoned by the GC's - time to get a life mm.

malsancak

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

I believe that many people live in homes they paid to be built but are "owned" by the builder or, in the case of a poorly worded trust agreement, even their lawyer.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

I totally agree. where do you stop. My father lost his house and property in the Czech republic when all Germans where expelled with no recompense(this was the sticking point with the Czechs and the signing of the Lisbon treaty. Our family never asked for anything.When we had to flee East Germany, we lost everything again. We did not like it, but we have moved on.

Gc's always shout as if they're the only ones. All Hellenic people I have met, think Alexander the Great was a hero(why was he great????I read a lot about him), he wasn't even a nice person by modern standards. He concered a lot of land, but when the Ottomans did the same some centuries later, that was soooo bad!!!

Mhhhmmmm......................

yrret

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Surely the bottom line is that throughout history there have been 'conquerers, and 'loosers'

I rest my case.

Groucho

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Mark, don't make the further mistake of equating population numbers with land...

If the minority population were largely farmers they would probably have owned proportionately more land than their numbers would infer.... Farmers tend have bigger tracts of land than other occupations.

The Turkish Cypriots are known to have largely been agricultural communities often spread on the fringes of Greek Cypriot villages or in wholly Turkish Villages like Hizarkoy.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Hey, Hans it's been 'too long' ;)

You neglected to explain the contextual origin of my 'propaganda' ... if you compare the relative inconvenience of having to go back to an airport to collect a case - as opposed to being ethnically cleansed.....

You DO know that twisting in such fashion IS the 'propaganda' ....... ?!!

Chris ( re 2) 'Your' home.. is it on land owned by a GC by any chance...? If it is on pre74 TR / Foreign owned deeds you can REALLY claim ownership...

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Mark, how about answering my question in msg 1? I'll repeat the question for your convenience: "Furthermore, how long does it take - in your opinion - before a claim on a house and on land loses its validity? 36 years, fifty years, one hundred years, four centuries, eight centuries (this is a comprehensive history of Cyprus)? Or *never* - as long as it concerns your GC friends?"

Rottolover

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

Hi sixems,

You also neglected to explain the meaning of your sentence, and I'm sure you realise that phrases like "ethnic cleansing" are emotive hand grenades, usable by both sides in a confrontation.

You say 'your' home to Chris, apparently inferring it isn't if it has been built on land previously (or still, as you seem to prefer) owned by a GC. If so, do you then claim her home really belongs to that GC?

To take this point a bit further, I live in a development of 14 villas, all built in the last 6 years on land previously (still?) owned by a GC. Do you consider that GC is the rightful owner of all 14 villas, as well as the land they are built on? Land, incidentally, that was too scruffy and steep to have even had lemon or olive trees on it.

Further, some land areas have now had hundreds of villas built on them. Do you seriously consider that the former GC owner(s) should now be given their land back, together with the ownership of all houses now existing on it? Really?

andre 514

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

groucho message 7 and other contributors:

before prescribing imaginative upgrade solutions for cyprus island,

let's first be clear about the past

yes the communities lived side-by-side, often had cordial relations,

many tc's spoke greek...and after all they were "cypriots"

but you are can only be referring back to colonial times past,

first the ottoman empire then britain

because when cyprus had to govern itself from 1960 onward,

using the fragile power-sharing deal forced upon it by foreigners,

who still apparently knew best, "unity" swiftly collapsed

this is what self-styled do-gooders should always bear in mind

when considering what is their preferred best route for "cypriots"

...whoever they may be

andre

andre 514

Message Posted:
19/09/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

dc message 1:

you are making the point that claims can only be for a limited time...if at all

looking at europe in the 20th century, millions were displaced,

think konigsberg, thracian greeks, lvov, 125k craina serbs who did their neighbours no wrong:

the tally is near limitless just for this most civilised of continents

some cypriots are able to claim because there is now in the north at least

an internationally recognised commission to decide on matters

but the south cyprus authorities rejected a compromise of sorts in 2004

which would have settled all outstanding property issues on an overall basis

yes mark 6m is technically quite correct when he says gc "ownership"

can continue more or less "whatever"

but it is a concept of dwindling usefulness since the echr now points claimants

towards the less lucrative local remedy, which is unlikely to include restitution

while everyone north of the line in "former" property gets ever more settled in

andre

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Hi RottoLover ( and DC) : we BOTH know that if the land was owned by a GC in 74 - it still Is .. there is no question of that - the ECHR has ruled - many times - can we agree on that?

However - how to DEAL with that .. now the ECHR has offered TURKEY a chance to offer a local remedy - which GCs have been reluctant to use - thanks to INSANE govt. 'advice' ..they should have PILED in in their thousands..

So DC - yes - there is now a time limit ... Do you nee me to dig out old quotes of yours - where you dismissed the fact that such disenfranchised folk would ever get the right to claim for their homes ?! ;)

Troodo: I'm quite sure that GCs would have upgraded their accommodation - given the chance.. ;)

Groucho: the ECHR go by the 1974 RoC land registry - not your 'theories'..

yrret : this is the 21st Century and Turkey is being held accountable [ to the ECHR - the IPC is to redress claims from GCs] for 'intervening' and forgetting to go home.. I rest MY case ;)

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

I am with Mark on this one.

His previous post outlines the only viable (and fair) solution to the whole property mess.

For GC land in the North that has been developed, the GC 'owner' should receive financial recompense as deemed appropriate by the IPC.

For GC land that has remained undeveloped, the GC should be given the option of either returning to it, selling it or seek recompense from the IPC.

The same process should apply to TC land in the South albeit any recompense would have to come from the RoC government as opposed to the IPC.

Regards

Paul

Rottolover

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

Yes, sixems and fiendishpaul, I agree with the IPC being a solution for developed land, and for undeveloped land.

But what about former GC houses that still exist and are now 'owned' and being lived in by new 'owners'?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

RE msg 22, Rottolover: (...) But what about former GC houses that still exist and are now 'owned' and being lived in by new 'owners'? (...)

=> Yes, what about it?! A final, firm, not changing again stand point by the TRNC Government would be most interesting and helpful - for many Cypriot Turks, Turks and expats alike, wouldn't it? Now follows a very, very sad smiley: :-(

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Mark you are conveniently neglecting recent ECHR decisions that clearly outline a lack of lasting legally enforceable interest in land after 36 years especially if the GC deed holder had never lived on the land...

It is quite clear now that the ECHR has seen the light of day and it's not mass repatriation or reclaiming of land... it is compensation via the organs of the IPC and furthermore they have also made it clear that the deadline on Dec 2010 is an existing date by which any such claims should be lodged.... Otherwise the claimants will have to wait for a political solution....

Those advocating a wait and see policy in lieu of staking their claim via the IPC are taking a chance of ending up with nothing...

The south by the same token has not instituted a similar arrangement to the IPC for TCs holding deeds to lands in the south. This is likely to come back and bite them on the bum.... and their bum does look big in this!

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

As the south has not instituted a suitable local remedy (the 6 month residency requirement being an intimidating joke) the same can not be said.... i.e. The ECHR has to look at the claims of TCs retaining deeds to land in the south as it is unjust to impose residency rules on the claimant when you know there would be hostile elements to any such attempt to reclaim their property.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

RE MSG 22

Rottolover

>>But what about former GC houses that still exist and are now 'owned' and being lived in by new 'owners'?<<

They aren't 'former GC homes'' and they are *still* the owners - as any GC - who IS the owner - would find out if they apply to the IPC...

What we aren't seeing enough of is these type of applications..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

RE MSG 24 Groucho

>>Mark you are conveniently neglecting recent ECHR decisions that clearly outline a lack of lasting legally enforceable interest in land after 36 years especially if the GC deed holder had never lived on the land... <<

No - I'm not.. how do you work that one out? The IPC specifically aids GCs who lost their primary dwelling

>>The south by the same token has not instituted a similar arrangement to the IPC for TCs holding deeds to lands in the south. This is likely to come back and bite them on the bum.... and their bum does look big in this!<<

Nonsense.. the 'rump' RoC has had a mechanism in place for decades - without the need to be coerced by the ECHR - what was wrong was the requirement for the TC claimant to reside in the 'govt controlled areas' for six months .. prior to starting the claim process.

You'd know I long protested that this was unfair and the ECHR have made this clear to the 'rump' RoC...

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Hey Hans !

as you are posting here, why don't you loginto SKYPE or check your email or fix your mailform on allcrusades.com

Are you hiding from me ? ;)

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Mark, I seldom use Skype (to chat I use Adium, but that won't work on a Windoze box), but I'll start it now for your convenience. And I've already checked my email, saw your message and will reply this afternoon.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Hans, your Mac must be taking a long time to log in to SKYPE ;)...

Call me, now - if you can - I'll be on the road this pm

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Gotcha ! ;) Tot ziens, Hans

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

RE msg 31, 6xm: (...) Gotcha ! ;) Tot ziens, Hans (...)

=> Make it all Dutch: "Te pakken! ;) Tot ziens, Hans." Well said, Mark! And I'll update my version of Skype, because I now see that I have a very outdated version on my hard disc! Amazing that it still worked with my updated Mac Operating System - Skype is flexible indeed. Tot ziens!

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

Rottolover Re Msg 22

Former GC houses are a tricky one.......

IF the owners of the property are still alive, then the 'right' thing to do would be to give them the option to return to the property, if they chose not to then they should seek recompense from the IPC.

What of the current 'owners' I hear you cry, well if the GC did want to return to the house (unlikely I would suggest given the current state of the unification talks) then they should seek compensation from the TRNC government who issued deeds on the property in the first place.

Personally, if I was a GC, I would apply to the IPC and at least have a chance of getting something back for what I 'lost'.

Just my opinion of course

Paul

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

"Nonsense.. the 'rump' RoC has had a mechanism in place for decades - without the need to be coerced by the ECHR - what was wrong was the requirement for the TC claimant to reside in the 'govt controlled areas' for six months .. prior to starting the claim process.

You'd know I long protested that this was unfair and the ECHR have made this clear to the 'rump' RoC..."

Yes but it's no good having had a mechanism for decades that had a fatal flaw... The residency requirement... is it still in place or has this hurdle been removed? If so on what date? How many TCs have been able to get restitution of their properties occupied by GCs after 1974 since the removal of this obstacle?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

re msg 34

Groucho an elderly TC lady - resident in the UK - with a place in Larnaca took the 'rump' RoC to the ECHR over this 'resident for six months' requirement and it was agreed it was unfair - and her claim was processed .....

So .. the theory is that a TC could claim, too ...

I would like to see some pre 74 ( say 1963 ) claims from both ethnicities, too

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Yes but while the IPC exists in the north... the lady had to go to the ECHR... not quite so easy... is it?

blade

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

DC,

I have a question regarding your map.

The area in red shown under/labelled Kyrenia, can you please tell us what villages are now on that outer left hand side.?

What makes me ask is that quite a few villages in that area were infact totally GC villages.

So if you could please confirm.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

RE msg 37, blade: (...) The area in red shown under/labelled Kyrenia, can you please tell us what villages are now on that outer left hand side.? What makes me ask is that quite a few villages in that area were infact totally GC villages. So if you could please confirm. (...)

=> To answer your question means doing some research on other maps in my archives or on my hard disc. But from first sight I don't think you're right. The bottom of the area near Nicosia is Gönyeli (Geunyeli, CT for centuries), the top near Kyrenia (Girne) is Zeytinlik (also known as Templos and Cypriot Turkish for centuries also). Which villages in the area do you mean - makes it easier for me to look up the facts.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/09/2010 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

Here' s a 1960 census map...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Ethnographic-1.jpg

Does this help as a comparison ?

blade

Message Posted:
21/09/2010 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

They are both quite different, i would be nice to find one with place names .

DC, The map looked to me that the Kyrenia district show on your map was too wide to the left hand side as you look at it. I am talking about villages like sirineveler ,coceri, kozankoy basically anything to the left hand side.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
21/09/2010 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

this any better?

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/europe/cyprus_ethnic_1973.jpg

andre 514

Message Posted:
21/09/2010 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

mark message 26:

please explain, who is "we" in your last line?

andre

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
22/09/2010 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

'We' is surely ANYONE who wants to see this mess finished - ANYONE living in a house on land owned by someone else, the owner of said land, and the 'world' that hopes a major stumbling block to a comprehensive settlement in Cyrus will disappear..

Not to mention those buying / selling houses....

A Bizarre question, really, andre

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.