North Cyprus Tourist Board - Owning a Car here legally
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Owning a Car here legally

Owning a Car here legally

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

jambo

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Can anyone tell me what is the legal requirement for owning a car here? Can you own a car say for instance if you are a tourist? Is it possible for a Turkish National to own a car here if they dont not have residencyor work permit?

I know is probably possible to do this ( I am not a resident here and was asked by a very high ranking police officer how I could own a car as I do not have residency.....He said it is a legal requirement......I answered so I can buy a house but not a car....the response was the usual a shrugging of the shoulders! This could deem my insurance nul and void??????

Pugwash

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Yes you can buy a car as a "non resident" does not matter what nationality.

jambo

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Yes I know you can cos I have done, but when a senior police officer asks me that question and tells me it is illegal, well what are you to think.

The shrug of the shoulders denotes it is not his problem as anyone living here would know. If it is not legal then I suspect alot of people are in trouble!

scruff

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

The same or a similar question was asked recently & as usual there were conflicting views, as is common on this bulletin board. Questions of this type are sometimes answered by people who do not live here or have only just moved here. They can be prone to making assumptions at times.

It isn't illegal to buy a car here, just as it isn't illegal to buy property. The TRNC DL (Temp. residency required) & Insurance issue is perhaps a different question.

I have copied the link to this thread below. Please note my last 2 posts.

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/45305.asp

jambo

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Hi Scruff

I have looked at the posts, but as you probably know, if i were to go and ask my insurance company if i was legal he would say ok of course you are, but he would not be willing to put that in writing...the policy is in turkish. So I guess will just have to pray I dont ever need to use insurance. As you say rules change at the drop of a hat, are not logical and may change the following day so its quite impossible situation.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.