North Cyprus Tourist Board - Playing devils advocate; is there a tipping point?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Playing devils advocate; is there a tipping point?

Playing devils advocate; is there a tipping point?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

newscoop

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 56 in Discussion

The Brits are avid charity fund raisers on the island, they are also the main blood donors.

Of late there has been an increased tendency from the authorities to "screw" them every which way, whether by dragging them into highly expensive court actions or discriminative laws like the blood tests every year for residency. My info suggests possibly even worse to come

I'm not even going to mention the house/deeds/Kocan thing

The point is and I'm only asking the question after a lively debate at the local

When is enough enough?

Would the Brits stop donating blood and supporting local charities when as someone so eloquently put it "they are treated like s***?

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 56 in Discussion

The trouble with that, is that even more people would be in trouble without donated blood....a sort of cutting your nose to spite the face kind of scenario.

DD

jambo

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 56 in Discussion

This has been a thought of mine for a longtime. I am assuming people think two wrongs dont make a right!

islandgirl

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 56 in Discussion

I think it is massively misleading to say the British are the main blood donors, go to the blood bank in Lefkosa and see how wrong you are, just because there are a couple of highly publicised (in the British press) events yearly. The TC community have their own way of handling the bulk of their blood needs. As for your info which suggests worse to come, care to enlighten us as you seem to be in the *know"

newscoop

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 56 in Discussion

Fair point Daisy but I'm only posing the question, as a long term donor I always give freely and willingly but as someone said, if a Brit needs it we'll sort it.

islandgirl ignores the main question; if the Brits start to feel victimised would they withdraw their support for local charities and the like?

jambo, two wrongs may not make a right but at what stage does one take precedence over the other?

Kulaksiz, Geoff Day, Blood tests for under 60's, deeds/Kocans/permission etc?

islandgirl

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 19:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 56 in Discussion

Main question? You give misleading information and suggest you have further knowledge. British are not the main blood donors, your statement is totally incorrect and and I suggest you share your *info* or is it just more idle gossip created by people who like to suggest they have inside knowledge.

I don't find that I am being victimised, I am a foreigner in a foreign land and accept the rules are different. We are always complaining about how easy it is for foreigners to get in the UK. I give blood regularly here as I did in the UK (Silver I think) and my support of charities is related to said charity not how a government feels toward me.

newscoop

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 56 in Discussion

islandgirl; nice to see you're a paragon of virtue but the answer to the question is? (Gold fifteen years ago)

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 56 in Discussion

I have to say, that, even though you (we) are visitors in a foreign country, it doesn't mean you should lay down and play dead and accept all the indignities that are thrown at us (you)....if the UK looks after all the immigrants, why shouldn't Cyprus?

DD

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 56 in Discussion

Afterall, isn't this what joining the EU is all about?? Looking after ones neighbours?

DD

islandgirl

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 56 in Discussion

The answer to the question is I do not feel victimised.

Now would you like to correct your statement and give us the info you claim to be party too.

DD, when you come to TRNC you are not under the control of the EU, I am sure you are well aware that whilst the whole Island joined with the assistance of the GCs the unrecognised TRNC did not and we are currently out-with the control of the EU which is why we are here as foreigners and not Europeans with the free movement that brings.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 56 in Discussion

In that case then, the TRNC should stop trying to join the EU...and simply carry on imposing their changing laws as and when they choose to!

DD

Hector

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 56 in Discussion

I to think that there will come a 'tipping point' when the trickle becomes a flood, when people individually start to withdraw from showing goodwill, giving money and their time in supporting local causes and charities. Whenever you read Cyprus Today there is usually an article on expats fund raising for good causes or supplying knowledge and expertise. Is this really valued by the powers that be in the TRNC (as opposed to those locals that benefit)? I wonder if it is quite frankly. People will vote with their feet eventually. The numbers leaving the TRNC or who want to is a good indicator as to peoples feelings on the way they feel they have been treated.

The fact that the subject has been raised on this forum is a warning in itself.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 56 in Discussion

What is needed is someone like Terry Carter to talk to the health minister and point out the racial discrimination iregularity re. these recently required blood tests for under 60's.

Like I have previously posted: who are the main patrons of 'night clubs' in TRNC?

As for the 'tipping point' - EU should suspend further funding to Cyprus [as a whole] and as far as TRNC is concerned, until the TRNC government amends the lawlessness of the present system to comply with ethical norms.

apc2010

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 56 in Discussion

or msg 13 and 11 first surely they need to abide by un resolutions first...

HotHippo

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 56 in Discussion

Surely, we do what we do, as a natural altruistic act, and not for an tangible benefit? We also act as individuals, not as a collective "nationally-identifiable" unit, although we do very well to organise ourselves through forums such as this. Giving of yourself, through any sort of charitable act, ought never to be used, by others, as counting, in any sense, towards achieving any aim, other than realising your worth as a human being, capable of aiding others who may be less fortunate. Well, that's what I think, anyway!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 56 in Discussion

>>>"Like I have previously posted: who are the main patrons of 'night clubs' in TRNC?"<<<

Mannnnnnnnnnnnn,you crack me up.I expect that from almost anyone on this forum,but YOU?

THEY ARE OWNED BY THE ONES THAT HAVE BOUGHT THEM.In fact some of them are owned by ex UK Cypriots,one of them being my brither-in-law.And,I can asurre you that after nearly 40 years of living to work in UK,he is now able to offer decent living to his family.WHY?I guess that would be because there are enough stupid people to go to these places,quite few of them being ex-pats.

I know there are lots of wrongs here,but how about trying to pick on the issues that concerns YOU?

>>>"TRNC government amends the lawlessness of the present system to comply with ethical norms. "<<<

=You dont like/agree with existing law!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 56 in Discussion

DD-msg 11;

TRNC are NOT trying to join the EU but simply arguing of tha fact that 'roc' have ILLEGALY been included in EU as only 'PART' of the island.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 56 in Discussion

msg 14;

That works both ways sonny.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
25/09/2010 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 56 in Discussion

yorgozlu: ''roc' have ILLEGALY been included in EU as only 'PART' of the island.'

I agree with you completely here. The UN, the EU and, in fact, the whole world knows that RoC became an illegal state the moment they flouted the constitution which included the TC's. The idiots really believed they could achieve Enosis - even the GC Orthodox Church believes it will happen one day. We all know that Greece is bust and will continue to be in the sh1t from now on - only the depth will vary!

You tackled me about nightclubs and laws. Of course a few expats and tourists avail themselves of the facilities - but come on, tell me and everyone else that this new blood test requirement for under 60's isn't just another money making gimmick.

As for the restrictive laws that affect foreigners; being TC, you're mostly immune - unless you get caught up in some property scam like some of your countrymen - then you'll wish..

Now, [even though over 60] which night club will I go to tonight?!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 04:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 56 in Discussion

Tenakoutou-msg 19;

" tell me and everyone else that this new blood test requirement for under 60's isn't just another money making gimmick. "

I agree with the fact that it sounds rather stupid,though I dont know for what porpuse it has been brought into force.

"As for the restrictive laws that affect foreigners; being TC, you're mostly immune - unless you get caught up in some property scam like some of your countrymen - then you'll wish.. "

I DO.......

and just becouse I dont rave my head off please dont think that I am sitting on my butt and doing nothing,though I must also admit 'I'm not Ismet abi.'

plana1956

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 56 in Discussion

We expats are all strangers in foreign lands. The locals will always have their evil way with us. I frequently read rants on my local forums going on, and on, about tuk tuks, immigration, the police, the list is endless. If you do not like the heat stay out of the kitchen. Fifty years plus working and living in these strange foreign lands. Not only an expat but also an expert.

islandgirl

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 56 in Discussion

Oh dear the Brits are out again!

Who called the paramedics?

islandgirl

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 56 in Discussion

Sorry posted that on the wrong thread! Whoops! Would someone be so kind as to delete it please.

Newscoop would you kindly answer my question, are you going to correct your highly miss leading statement and are you going to give us an insight into your *info* which you CLAIM to have.

Whilst your original statement carries good sentiment and your question is valid it is backed up with incorrect facts and insinuations. Do the right thing, if you are going to criticise the TRNC do it from a foundation of fact.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 56 in Discussion

I wish most (not all) of the Brits would go home, whiners and moaners, nothing can compare to the Britain they left, and although they hated (or so they say) what they left' all they want to do is to change the TRNC into "Little Britain"

The Brits know best, whether it is about dogs, houses, cars, governments, nightclubs, tea or invading foreign countries.

And don't you Johnny foreigners forget that! especially if you are of a dusky complexion.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 56 in Discussion

Yorg re 17

I would have thought you'd have known better than to post such 'guff'

>>TRNC are NOT trying to join the EU but simply arguing of tha fact that 'roc' have ILLEGALY been included in EU as only 'PART' of the island.<<

HOW can an unrecognised 'state' ( save for it's 'sponsor', Turkey) claim the EU 'illegally' included the WHOLE of Cyprus in the EU ? ))))

'TRNC' isn't a nation - it is an elected body of TCs in an area of Cyprus ( which is LEGALLY in the EU) where the 'govt doesn't have effective control...'

Article 1 - of protocol 10

http://ec.europa.eu/cyprus/documents/turkish_community/acc_treaty_protocol10.jpg

FACT: Turkey tried to take legal measures to stop the accession but all were rejected. ..on LEGAL grounds..

doppelganger

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 56 in Discussion

GIVE THE T/CS NOWT I am sick of them bleating how badly done to they are , they pley the victim card far to often !!

ahh embargoes we can not do this we can not get that. YET YOU TRY IMPORTING SOMETHING THE PERMITS AND TAXES IMPOSED BY t/c GOVERNMENT MAKE IT VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A PROFIT !

Try to set up a company to create wealth and jobs who blocks your way the international embargoes the G/CS or red tape introduced by the T/C GOVERNMENT ??

BillBarnacle

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 56 in Discussion

6 Ms re 25

FACT: Turkey tried to take legal measures to stop the accession but all were rejected. ..on LEGAL grounds..

Let me guess the corrupt EU ruled it ok ................how spooky

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 56 in Discussion

mmmmmm re msg 25;

>>"'TRNC' isn't a nation - it is an elected body of TCs in an area of Cyprus ( which is LEGALLY in the EU) where the 'govt doesn't have effective control...' "<<

So in your humble opinion it makes it ok for 'roc' to be included in EU even though,maybe not recognised but full known by the whole world of OUR existence.

Come on,you cant fool me with the poliotical s**t.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 56 in Discussion

msg 26;

What would your next line be?

Perhaps,the Brittish should have sent out their own troops to help Greeks to wipe us out?As a GUARANTOR obviously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZAMZs4jQtY

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 56 in Discussion

Doppelganger -

"ahh embargoes we can not do this we can not get that. YET YOU TRY IMPORTING SOMETHING THE PERMITS AND TAXES IMPOSED BY t/c GOVERNMENT MAKE IT VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE A PROFIT !"

"Try to set up a company to create wealth and jobs who blocks your way the international embargoes the G/CS or red tape introduced by the T/C GOVERNMENT ??"

The poster before you on another thread reckons there are no such problems as this in the TRNC - He reckons that we're all profiting - wildly!

Yorgolu - he doesn't fool me either.

doppelganger

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 56 in Discussion

Sorry Washerman

what are you saying ? you have lost me .

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 56 in Discussion

Yorgozlu - sorry I got your name wrong. Unless your enjoying it and going to give him an online spanking, which I would like to see. I'd recommend that you don't bother

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 56 in Discussion

Dopleganger - I am sayiong that mmmmmm reckons that we are all making a fortune here in TRNC and wildly profiteering.

You seem to be painting a picture that is somewhat different. I agree with you!

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 56 in Discussion

Going back to Newscoop's original post - It's true, lot's of Brits are leaving, but there are others who have adapted to living here and changed their outlook/expectations.

Whether that will bring about change or, affect the local economy?

Pugwash

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 56 in Discussion

Message 34 It will make little or no difference, the expat community has an over inflated sense of worth and importance.

doppelganger

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 56 in Discussion

ahh thanks for the clarification

It is my humble opinion the trnc goverment/ regulations/red tape are a far bigger obstacle to this country's prosperity than embargoes at this point in time.

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 56 in Discussion

Pugwash - personally, I agree with you in general, but not everyone!

blade

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 56 in Discussion

There has been so many chances over the years here, isolation and embargos have been created. Greed being the first point.

I recently read an article where Mr denktas called for equality and fairness for the Turksih Cypriot people.

What about equality and fairness for us? How can they expect it from others when we are treated so badly?

Pugwash

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 56 in Discussion

You can always return to the UK blade, there you will be treated soooooo well.

apc2010

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 56 in Discussion

Playing devils advocate, as this thread starts, the reason most people left the uk was because the "nanny state" was giving away benefits to too many people, now you want cyprus to do the same ...????

if the uk took a few tips maybe it would not be in the state it is....

newscoop

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 56 in Discussion

Yorgo mess 29; C'mon mate you're better than that!

islandgirl and pugwash; as suspiciously new posters what are you on?

islandgirl; I presume you've done your first residency, (unless you're on the dark side, who knows/cares) what did you have to do/provide?

think about it, it's not rocket science.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 56 in Discussion

newscoop, I am not on anything unlike many posters on here, expatriates particularly the British do have a hugely overinflated sense of importance in the TRNC, where in fact they are of little importance at all just part of the overall picture.

islandgirl

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 56 in Discussion

Been on this board for over a year, why is that suspicious? I sometimes see something that I feel warrants a comment. I have done several residencies but cannot see what that has to do with things.

1 You claim Brits are the main blood donors, a ridiculous claim designed to add *colour* to your original post, utter rubbish.

2 You suggest you have *info* that there is worse to come. Again added to give *colour* to you original post can you substantiate? If not it is just gossip pure and simple.

So again, "Newscoop would you kindly answer my question, are you going to correct your highly miss leading statement and are you going to give us an insight into your *info* which you CLAIM to have." or are you going to try to deflect the questions with suggestions that I am "suspicious" because I exercise my right to question your so called facts.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 56 in Discussion

msg 38;

You'll find that Mr.Denktas was refering to Cypriots to be treated equaly,being Turkish or Greek.I suppose bit like Brittish citizens expecting to be treated equaly,whether being English or not,in UK.

In black and white,if you are not a citizen,you dont count.As hursh as it may sound.

>>"What about equality and fairness for us? How can they expect it from others when we are treated so badly? "<<

As for above comment,may I remind you of the fact that 'you are just a temporary visitor.'As hursh as it may sound. ))))

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/09/2010 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 56 in Discussion

newscoop-msg 41;

I have a habit of bringing myself to the level of opposition.

newscoop

Message Posted:
27/09/2010 01:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 56 in Discussion

Yorgo;

Again, you don't need to come down to their level.

islandgirl;

read the last posting and think about it.

By the way; if you ever need blood, who are you going to get it from? (through the BRS? could even be me)

islandgirl

Message Posted:
27/09/2010 06:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 56 in Discussion

That is a no then.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
27/09/2010 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 56 in Discussion

Seems so islandgirl, and where would the world be without the great British expat? nothing would work or happen at all, nice to know the Raj is alive and well.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
27/09/2010 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 56 in Discussion

re 28 Yorg

>>So in your humble opinion it makes it ok for 'roc' to be included in EU even though,maybe not recognised but full known by the whole world of OUR existence. <<

The existence of TCs living in an area of CY not under effective of control of THE recognised govt is well-known - as is the pointless attempts to tell the rest of the world that RoC isn't 'recognised by Turkey and that yours is a 'nation' ..

The RoC was 'recognised' by Turkey during the 2004 Eurovision song contest and the signing of the Ankara Accord - customs agreement ..!

What this thread is about is the MESS those 'running the show are making' - the farce of non issuing of deeds for properties that are pre 74 TR / Foreign ...an example of alienating those non TCs that had faith...

We have had AJ warning those who protest that it won't help and my further alienate - a rather sad state of affairs - if correct.

The cy-forum 'vultures' must be enjoying reading this thread.. :(

girne 29

Message Posted:
27/09/2010 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 56 in Discussion

Couldnt agree more.

Everytime Yorg and the like come out with comments basically telling the world ,if you come to NC to live ,dont expect the protection of the law when fraud occurs and if you are ripped off serves you right for coming, the ROC must be thinking of awarding a medal for services to the GC's.

If we are not entitled to the full protection of the law,which by the way ,I have never heard of in any other country I have travelled to, then maybe this should be made aware by the TRNC before we visit ,and maybe the foreign office should add that to the warning about buying property.

If a GC made comments like that ,we would call it propaganda designed to put people off buying.

If us Brits made such comments ,we would be also accused of being bitter and twisted and wanting to give everyone the impression TRNC is banana republic.

However I have to say ,a TC has more right to slag off his own country,than expats.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 56 in Discussion

Although Yorgozlu's pariotism is not in doubt, there are many issues where his responses reveal that he 'hunts with the hounds and runs with the hare'!

MrTed

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 11:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 56 in Discussion

If you feel persecuted just stop supporting local business's -the government would soon come under pressure from the business community.

This would be a very effected way of expressing your feelings but you would need lots and lots of support.

Bernies

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 56 in Discussion

they stopped people using the army shops for this reason!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 56 in Discussion

MrTed/Msg 52:

Since most items are banned from being brought back across the border without the risk of confiscation and a substantial fine, coupled with the personal expenditure restriction, I'm afraid your suggestion is both thoughtless and meaningless!

MrTed

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 56 in Discussion

Tenakoutou,

Thanks but you have not understood my message.

I'm refering to a complete boycott of all local business's-banks /restaurants/supermarkets/stores etc, until such times that the government appreciate the true value and contribution that the Brits make to the economy of this lovely Island.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
29/09/2010 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 56 in Discussion

The Brits do not make anywhere near a big as contribution as you believe Mr Ted and what percentage would join a boycott? 5 % 8% 10%?

A non starter.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.