North Cyprus Tourist Board - Turkey could open ports to Cyprus:
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Turkey could open ports to Cyprus:

Turkey could open ports to Cyprus:

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

YFred

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/enlarge-turkey.4uo

"Turkey is ready to open its ports to Cyprus if international traffic is allowed access to harbours on the island's breakaway Turkish north, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Friday.

We want to lift all borders on Cyprus. We are ready to open Turkish ports to Greek Cypriots," he was quoted by the Anatolia news agency as telling a meeting of parliamentarians from EU and Mediterranean countries.

Turkey would take that step if two sea ports -- Famagusta and Kyrenia -- as well as Ercan airport in the self-declared Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), are opened to international traffic and trade, the minister added.

"The world will open three ports for Turkish Cypriots and we will open all Turkish ports to Greek Cypriots. I promise," Davutoglu said."

I wonder what the GCs will make of this offer. The usual may be? Jump up and down and cry saying they will not open Ercan?

CJtill

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

I can tell you what the GCs will make of the offer....a great big OXI (which if you remember the Annan plan at all, means NO)

Michael

YFred

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

That is really ironic because my donkey GR says that every day when he cries evrey when he is pining for his oracle.

ix o ix o ix o.

But I must apologise for my donkey's dyslexia and illiteracy as he says it backwards. He was thrown out of the primary school because of his big ears and nose.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Turkey HAS to open the ports to all EU members.. they have signed the deal as part of the EU accession process... it is CRAZY to try and attach a condition to a deal already agreed... :(

This is one of the main reasons that the accession process has stalled.

For SURE - if / when an overall deal is done the ports will open - but the GCs are saying this should be when the 'north' is under EU regulations ..

Trouble is - that if the EU aspirations are dashed- then neither 'side' is going to get 'satisfaction'...

YFred

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

6M I seem to remember under those conditions Turkey was ready to walk away but was convinced by Bliar that the Cyprus issue would not be a stumbleing block. She may yet walk away from the EU and just keep the customs union membership she has. She may well be better off that way in terms of her own development in the long term.

One thing for certain we are living int the dynamic section of the Cyprus problem.

elko2

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

The offer is nothing new. Turkey has to open her ports to all EU countries and EU has to keep her promise for direct trade to TRNC which does mean direct flights to Ercan. So in the end both will happen.

ismet

Pugwash

Message Posted:
28/09/2010 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Of course RoC should never have been accepted into the EU in the first place, what a mistake that was.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.