North Cyprus Tourist Board - Problems for buyers in ROC too
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Problems for buyers in ROC too

Problems for buyers in ROC too

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Aussie

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Tent protest aims to shame Cyprus in dispute with developers

By Jean Christou

BRITISH home buyer Conor O’Dwyer marked his 39th birthday yesterday far away from his wife and children as he continued his indefinite protest outside the Cyprus High Commission in London.

O’Dwyer began his protest camping outside the Cypriot diplomatic mission this month because August marks two years since he was due to move his family to Cyprus, and August marks the anniversary of when the Minister of the Interior told the media he was looking into the unlawful selling of O’Dwyer’s house.

In two years, no progress has been made on O’Dwyer’s case outlined on his website http://www.lyingbuilder.com, and he has now set up a new site http://www.ShameOnCyprus.com, which will focus initially on his protest in London.

“I am still getting the same rhetoric that I was getting two years ago,” O’Dwyer said yesterday. ‘That’s why I’m protesting. I’m not going anywhere until they drag this case to court and take the developers off to jail. I deserve my day in court.”

O’Dwyer spent a week in Larnaca hospital last January after he was beaten up in Frenaros when he went to take pictures of the house he had bought and over which he later came into dispute with the developers.

They have been charged by police in connection with the attack on O’Dwyer in Frenaros, but the case has yet to reach the courts.

He says the developers unilaterally cancelled his contract and kept his money, some £75,000 sterling, because he had pulled them up over what he saw as a misrepresentation of their deal. That case is also pending at court. The developers have accused O’Dwyer of allegedly masterminding a plan to extort a newer more expensive property, and exorbitant damages from the company.

“My case is undeniable,” said O’Dwyer who, said that if anyone bothered to look at it, it could be solved in an afternoon. “It doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. This whole thing stinks.”

O’Dwyer did receive a visit from an official at the Cyprus High Commission on Friday but the official only gave him “the same old story”, he said. A new High Commissioner is due to be in place next week, whom O’Dwyer hopes might listen to him.

Since the indefinite protest began, O’Dwyer has been sleeping in a tent and spends his day updating his new website and talking to passers-by, including, he said, potential British property buyers for Cyprus. “A few have now been put off buying in Cyprus when they heard what happened to me,” he said. “I’m not going to stay quiet any more and watch other people lose their savings. I’m sleeping in a tent. That’s what I got for my £75,000. I’ve lost my home but I’m not moving from here until I let everyone know what a corrupt society Cyprus is.”

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008

Oxoners

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Have tried the links, but they do not appear to work

RTgirl

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

If you remove the comma after ".com" it should work then. I clicked on the link and the comma was included automatically. Got a network error message so just removed the comma and it worked.

So just put in http://www.lyingbuilder.com

Or http://www.shameoncyprus.com

Hope this helps!

Pipie

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Brave man , bully boy tactics are so much here in TRNC also , you just have to look at the forums only a few speak out .

dixie normus

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

If all the buyers who had been ripped off in the North camped outside Talets office, would be a tent city bigger than Nicosia. Sooner we realise its the nature of the beast here and the South, to lie, steal and genraly rip people off the better we all shall be, its in their blood , they can't help it.

D.N

rtddci

Message Posted:
16/08/2008 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

And one supposedly has the security of the EU courts. Not very promising.

Martin

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.