North Cyprus Tourist Board - our dog is now with us, via south
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > our dog is now with us, via south

our dog is now with us, via south

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

khristy

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

after too much worrying and stress, i am happy to say alfie is with us in alsancak and very happy.

thank you tom (flightholidays) for arranging it, everything went to plan.

anyone thinking about bringing a dog over from south, it works, everything was arranged by tom at flightholidays, kennels in uk before we left for three days so alfie was ready for his trip, import licence sent to kennels in uk , taken to the airport in uk and put on flight to larnaca, where we collected him and took him to the trnc border and was met by quaratine , he was taken there over night, and we collected him at 8 am the next morning, it took ten mins at the quaratine and told to come back in 21 days to get his papers.

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

Well thats great news. Good for Tom he is a star. I hope it can be done this way also, from trnc to laranca the to uk. Tom is here this week so will ask x

chelle70

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

wow that seems an easier way around things, hope you both settle in nicely

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

khirsty did alfie have to do home quarintine here x

sienna

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

lillie the quaratine this end will be months will it not ? or is it different with EU passport via Laranca, interesting to know ?

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

Hi sienna, I beleive that in the UK without a petpassport its 6 months,I will ask the question this week as Tom will be here. xx

khristy

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

hi lilli

yes its 21 days

thanks chelle

he seems back to his old self today, on friday he would not leave our sides or eat,

but not suprised, three days kennels, a flight and one night in ercan

scruff

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Unfortunately lilli, even with a pet passport, the UK. quarantine would still be 6 mths,...... unless some way round has been found the DEFRA regulations if animals fly via Larnaca.

Surely this would only be the case if the GC/UK. authorities were involved with this?

DEFRA has repeatedly said that the rules are related to EU status of the ROC. & not a deliberate effort to discriminate against the TRNC.

Prior to the entry of Cyprus into the EU, animals from the North & South were able to return to the UK. without the requirement of the UK. 6mths quarantine, which also applies to many other countries as well.

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

Oh that explains it scruff, thank you. I did not know, just assumed that as it was EU it would be the same. Oh well back to the drawing board then x

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
03/10/2010 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

That is absolutely fantastic news and thank you for posting it. Thanks also to Tom at Flightholidays for sorting. We have considered a little more time in UK to be with family and especially grandchildren but 100% committed to our dogs so it seemed like an option we could not really explore but this changes things. Excellewnt.

Jonesy299

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 00:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Can you tell us how much it all cost and confirm how many days were spent in quarantine in Cyprus (and where / were the conditions OK?)

Thanks in advance

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 01:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Hi Chris

So please to hear about Alfie landing safely.

All the best

Jo Valentine

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk

khristy

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

hi thanks jo,

alfie spent one night in quarantine, the vet arrived at 8am, looked at the papers and we left at 8.10 am

i think the quarantine was ok, a bit smelly but clean and only for one night

at moment just trying to work it all out, and still waiting for flight cost

pet passport and injections is best to find out from your local vet

on arrival in larnaca, it was 65 euros and quaranteen was 110tl that was for pick up from border and home quarantine for three weeks

well worth speaking with tom at flightholidays re kennels, size of dog etc

blade

Message Posted:
04/10/2010 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

Top Dog Hotel also brought a dog over from the south two weeks ago, highly recommended.

robita

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

We are considering bringing one cat and one small dog from gatwick to larnaca, but will live in the North

Can anyone tell me how to contact Tom at Flight holidays

Or would we be better to bring them from UK to Ercan

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

contact tom at flight holidays, his details will be on his profile. i only have his home number recorded on my mobile and I'm reclucant to give that out. I will get all his numbers for you tomorrow x

Teresa

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

info@iah-holidays.co.uk . I am sure that Tome will get back to you asap but i do know that he will be busy at the world travel market show in London.

khristy

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

the reason we had to bring our dog via the south was because he was over 32kg

if your dog and cat are below that including air crate then you could bring them into ercan

otherwise its a trip to larnaca, then to the border

but i am sure tom will get back to you and give you and i can recormend him from start to finish

flightholiday

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

Christine thanks for the mention in Msg 1 - Hope Alfie and the family he owns are settling in well

Msg 18 Sorry but the rules in Turkey would even mean with a smaller pet the Southern route is probably more efficient and cheaper (I wish it was otherwise)

Robin Msg 15 Hi I am under a lot of pressure with WTM next week.

Can you email me the details and phone numbers for you and I will try to call & start to help in the morning.

info@flightholiday.co.uk 0871 855 2925

aripointer

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Scruff Message 8

Paragraphs 3 and 4 of your post are contradictory.

Up until 2004 pets from both sides were allowed into the UK with either side’s respective pet passport recognised by DEFRA. So no six months quarantine.

In 2004 when the south was admitted to the EU The TRNC pet passport scheme did not qualify. So pets arriving in the UK from the TRNC had to go into quarantine.

You say DEFRA has repeatedly said (this is a mis-quote) it is not a deliberate effort to discriminate against the TRNC because of the south’s acceptance into the EU.

In my book and of many others including KAR. It is deliberate discrimination by DEFRA against the TRNC.

AP

Davliz

Message Posted:
07/11/2010 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

Kristy, great news about Alfie. We now have our two labs here going the same route 4 weeks ago and without a great deal of help from Tom at Flight holiday and John at Ryslip kennels (Tom's reccomendation) we would have had real problems.The dogs arrived very stressed but have now recovered and now their three week home quarantine has ended they are back to normal with lots of walks and chilling out on the terrace.Anyone thinking of bringing dogs (especially big ones!) out should talk to Tom who is a mine of information and who actually came and visited us here in Karsiyaka to meet his two doggy passengers when he was here.The only problem we encountered was at Larnaca customs with two very stroppy and N Cyprus hating customs officials but we triumphed in the end.If anyone wants any help please do not hesitate to contact us here in Cyprus either by telephone 0090 0533 846 06 89 or E mail- we have become somewhat experts in paperwork!.

David & Liz

khristy

Message Posted:
07/11/2010 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

david&liz

glad to hear that your two dogs arrived safe and sound, alfie was very stressed but not supprising after what they had to go though.

tom and john went out of there way to make it happen and gave 110% service.

Lilli

Message Posted:
07/11/2010 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

Davliz. Did you collect them yourself at laranca and bring them straight over the border to do home quartine, or like alfie did they have to spend a night in the centre. A friend of mine wants to bring her dogs here. Any info you can give so i can pass on i would be grateful. many thanks

Quarmby

Message Posted:
07/11/2010 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

Msg 20

"Defra are discriminating against the TRNC"

I always understood that because the flights from Ercan had to land in Turkey and Turkey has rabies.

Lilli

Message Posted:
07/11/2010 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Quarmby DEFRA gave me completely the wrong info when i wanted to bring my staffi here. I went back to cardiff to collect him and was due to fly back to TRNC saturday. Friday afternoon at 4pm I was in M and S at the time I had a call from them to tell me they didn't realise the difference between north and south cyprus and that the paperwork given to me related to the south. I drove straight there and kept them there until 6.30 to try to sort it to no avail. Now in panic mode as I had to get back as we had a big function on. In the end I had to get kennels to take change paperwork AND REBOOK FLIGHTS oops sorry. He had to work with DEFRA for 11 days to sort it all. It cost me a fortune. I wrote to them and they promised they would ensure their info re cyprus was updated but no mention of a refund on all my extra costs x

aripointer

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

Quarmby Msg 24

When landing in Turkey on a flight from Ercan to an onward destination. The animal is in a cage and in transit.

I am not too sure about rabies in Turkey. The TRNC has been rabies free for over 45 years. AP

Davliz

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

Lilli, yes I did collect the dogs from Larnaca airport with the help of a good samaritan who lives close by in Karsiyaka.Liz and I will drop into Guidos and give you as much advice as we can sometime in the next few days.David

bigjuss

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

hi,

can anyone tell me what the costs would b to bring a rottweiler to th trnc?

hes been microchipped and his boosters are up to date,what is the procedure?,vets papers flights etc?

thanks

suzi1951

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

My husband has just brought our dog from UK to TRNC via Turkey. Our vet in Scotland was brilliant at getting everything done there and the paperwork completed with TRNC vet department. Pete and Mickey flew from Manchester to Istanbul to Ercan with Turkish airlines - Pete had booked everything himself. Turkish Airlines staff were fabulous all the way and customs staff in Ercan really good. I even got through to join them while we waited for somebody from quarantine kennels in Nicosia to arrive. Because the flight arrived early hours of Sunday morning Mickey had to stay in kennels until Monday morning. Like Khristy we had a quick visit this morning to speak to th evet then home with Mickey. Kennels okay and clean enough, although some nice smelling disinfectant wouldn't go amiss. Mickey is eating well today and as lively as anything. 3 weeks home quarantine and back for his papers in 3 weeks.

scruff

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

Re my message 8 dated 05/10/2010.

and message 20 from airpointer dated 05/11/2010 which I have just read.

I feel I must defend my original posting & do not see how paragraphs 3 & 4 are contradictory in any way.

Your final sentence is this. ' In my book and of many others including KAR. It is deliberate discrimination by DEFRA against the TRNC.'

I do not agree. It is deliberate discrimination by the EU against the TRNC & not by DEFRA who have to abide by the EU rules. These rules were changed by the EU & not the UK.

On my next message I have copied the item about Cyprus. This is from the DEFRA website and the penultimate paragraph says it all.

I brought 2 cats from the UK. in 2002 & know that it was possible to take them back to the UK. un til 30th September 2004 without the need for 6 months quarantine. What caused the problem was the new entrants to the EU in 2004, including Cyprus & the changing of the rules to accomodate them. I am just as upset about this

scruff

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

ctd.

as everyone else but do not see it as discrimination by DEFRA, but in fact as discrimination by the EU.

This is what DEFRA say & I have no reason to doubt this.

Travelling to the UK

Q2. What is the position with dogs, cats and ferrets coming to the UK from Cyprus?

A.Until 30 September 2004, dogs, cats and ferrets travelling to the UK from north Cyprus (the area north of the Buffer Zone) to the UK (including UK pets returning home on this route) could be licensed into quarantine with a view to obtaining early release.

From 1 October 2004, dogs, cats and ferrets entering the UK from north Cyprus (the area north of the Buffer Zone) must be licensed into quarantine for 6 months on arrival in the UK. This must be arranged before your pet travels to the UK.

The Republic of Cyprus was among those countries which joined the Community in May 2004. The European Regulation on the movement of pet animals applied to that country on 3 July 2004. The Commission subsequently

scruff

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

decided that a transitional period would apply until 30 September 2004, during which Member States could maintain their current rules on the import of pets. The new EU Regulation has now superseded the previous UK legislation.

The EU does not recognise the area of Cyprus to the north of the buffer zone. Therefore, under EU Regulation 998/2003, that part of Cyprus is regarded as a non-qualifying third country and the UK is obliged to treat it exactly the same as all other non-qualifying third countries.

We do appreciate the problems this causes some pet owners but we are unable to change the requirements until the political situation has been resolved.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/procedures/support-info/listqa.htm#5

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/regulation/eu-reg.htm

also mentions North Cyprus specifically.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
22/11/2010 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

Onceuponatime (Scruff) thanks for bringing this back to the top as I hade not seen this thread.

Msg 10 Sue - (if we can help let me know)

Msg 11 Jonesy - contact us and we will be dleighted to give you an idea

Msg 28 Justin - Same comment but please check two things is a rottweiler an acceptable pet import in 1] Cyprus 2] North Cyprus - I have no idea and it might not be alloed in one or both - if you use our route you might lose your four legged friend in Cyprus and if you were to try through Turkey the same might apply again

Please contact me with your pets details and when you intend to be travelling etc etc and most important some phone numbers for you so I can call to get details and try to give you an idea - each pet has different requirements so no one global price can give you an indication.

Tom info@flightholiday.co.uk 0871 855 2925

PS Christine, Dave & Liz amongst others many thanks for your kind words.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.