North Cyprus Tourist Board - Title Deeds - Pre 74 / Exchange / TMD
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Title Deeds - Pre 74 / Exchange / TMD

Title Deeds - Pre 74 / Exchange / TMD

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

norths4me

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

I read on another BB that Sea terra had an exhibition interupted by protesters in the UK and were asked to leave by the hotel.

I have bought with Sweetwater Bay on Exchange land which I assumed was the next best thing to Pre 74. Although however much I think the development will be fantastic I always get a bit worried over the title issue especially when you read about things like the Seaterra incident.

I am aware that a lot of developments are on TMD or a mixture of TMD & Exchange.

I would like to guage the opinion of how people feel about the title issue especially those that have houses or are part of a development that is on Exchange or TMD title. Or from people that are living in properties with those titles.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Norths4me

Not sure if you have access to the following information:

Who were the protestors? Were they Greek Cypriots or English people representing the TRNC property warning website? What sort of number of protestors were involved?

I know Sea Terra were hosting a number of exhibitions, up and down the country, and doing so without the involvement of any other exhibitors. From what I undersand Sea Terra have a great reputation for build quality, so would be surprised if it was English protestors.

elko2

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Lobby for Cyprus in a recent press release has announced the successful lobbying of the Hilton hotel in Surrey to cancel a property expo selling properties in the occupied territories of the Republic of Cyprus. Nick Kounoupias a lawyer for Lobby for Cyprus spoke with the management of the hotel and explained to the management that by allowing the event to take place they were in effect complicit " criminal behaviour of Sea Terra, they would be guilty of conspiracy to defraud if they continued with allowing them to exhibit at their hotels."

The UK based "Sea Terra" held an exhibition at the Hilton hotel in Cobham, Surrey this weekend for two days exhibiting investment/residential property opportunities for Britons in the occupied territories.

The UK's leading lobbying group campaigning for the rights of Cypriots to have property returned to them stolen by Turkey following the illegal invasion of 1974 has scored a victory in the battle to outlaw British property companies advertising the sale of Greek Cypriot properties in the occupied territories of the Republic of Cyprus.

Lobby for Cyprus will be escalating its efforts to outlaw all property expo’s that market or sell stolen properties emanating from the Republic of Cyprus.

Source: [ http://www.londongreeknews.co.uk/story.php?id=158 ]

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Please ignore my mail above.

I have just found the site and the thread you mentioned. Hard to say, but it might seem as though the GC lobbyists might be intensifying their campaign?

Perhaps, the IPC is working, and in response it has forced them to increase their activities and augment their voice. It might, also represent frustration that the Orams case is not moving at the speed they would like.

millzer

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

To update you, I have it on very good information that whilst it is true that 'Lobby for Cyprus' attempted to disrupt the SeaTerra exibition, as usual, the Greek Cypriot's put their own spin on the story in their own inimitable way. The exhibition DID go ahead, and the protesters were asked to leave by the hotel management. They then took off in their 'minibus'.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
24/07/2007 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Perhaps the BBC played a part in creating the story

namus

Message Posted:
25/07/2007 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Well you all know my views on the land issues but shame on you all for justifying buying somebody's stolen land. Just because they are GCs does not mean they are bad people and they have every right to protest. Thank heavens there is free speech in UK.

From other threads you may know that I am nearly 30 years married to a TC and she feels the same.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
25/07/2007 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

To Everyone reading this thread.

Let's not go through another debate like we did a few weeks ago.

We all know Namus's views and if you want to read then all again, then go to that thread, don't do it here all over again. Please.......

MC

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/07/2007 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Agreed Mcsteviet.

Namus if you want to debate then I think you should join me at http://www.phpbb88.com/northerncyprus/ . They have a debating section there.

norths4me

Message Posted:
25/07/2007 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Total agreement Mcsteviet Im not really interested to hear from Namus as I have read enough from him to do me a lifetime so already no his stance.

I want to hear from purchasers who have or are in the process of buying and how they feel about the type of title that goes with their property.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
25/07/2007 21:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Hi north4me.

Like you, I have bought on Esdeger land.

Someone on an earleir post made a reference to different types of investment strategies. These are not their words, but mine, you have low, medium and high risk. I certainly don't think Esdeger is low risk, maybe somewhere around medium risk. Of course, we can all individually stomach different amounts of uncertainty, this is based on on our own psychology, and how much we are able to potentially lose (financially).

Psychologically, I am not very good at dealing with risk and secondly I can't afford to lose much, so sometimes my Esdeger investment looks extremely high risk to me.

To get to your point, and to what keeps me sane, is the fact that I think that too much infrastructure is in place for us to lose our properties. Also, the Annan plan probably recognised that their would be a new wave of refugees (Turkish settlers) if the GC's just went back to their homes. It would also be senseless, an environmental calamity if all the Esdeger and TMD properties were all knocked down.

So if the GC's can't go back to their properties what do they get. Well at the moment Turkey will pay compensation. What if Turkey pulls out of this then we will probably have to pay compensation?

What if the GC's don't want compensation, only their land? Well this only becomes a problem if global factors play to the GC's hand. Of course, this is possible.

I would be really interested in finding out how many people have Esdeger and TMD land, and the process of rationalisation they have used which makes them believe their properties are safe.

davidoff

Message Posted:
26/07/2007 01:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Hi all,

I too have bought at sweetwater bay on exchange land!

Apparently there are around 300,000 greeks and cypriots in the UK so they will always protest, threaten, kick and scream and try to stop anything with regards to TRNC and this will never change Im afraid but others will grow tired and agitated of their constant slandering of TRNC so just be patient!!!

It has already started to backfire for the greeks as even the EU and UN are getting anoid over there constant bullying techniques!

I have taken a risk with this investment-so far the biggest of all, but yes you do need to make sure that regardless of what happens long or short term that you can affors to take the risk!

If you cant then you will loose sleep and worry over it and it can be bad for your health!

Eitherway be prepared and make the decision and stick to it!

Dont buy on a whim and make sure you know what your letting yourself in for and be comfortable with your decision -Otherwise it can become your worst nightmare!!!!

See ya D

Middle Easter

Message Posted:
26/07/2007 02:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Funny world, last time I was involved in the forum, I was having a pop at ilovecyprus, now I am praising him (or her) to for sound judgement.

However, I'll have to watch the PC keys because a very old friend from UK has come to see me in Bahrain & we have just had his jumbo prawns in Absolut Lemon Vodka - if you want the recipe ask me tomorrow onwards....but believe me its the dogs wotsits!

Going back to the original question by norths4me & in echo to the the Orams judgement. Based on.....

As per most people, I know the basics of what brought about partition between N & D form 74. But irrespective of who is right & wrong (as anything in live, the true lies in between) the issue will not be resolved on a case by case basis (Oram's judegement), otherwise anarchy would ensue.

Therefore, there will be a settlement, but at governmental level, which may cost you some money, but 10% of the differance (max) between N & S like for like valuations. So sit tight & enjoy the NC life!

norths4me, don't worry (we've bought on the same title too), you cannot resolve the conflict of nations by the actions of individuals....

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
26/07/2007 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Davidoff, I had no idea that there were 300,000 Greeks and Cypriots in the UK. I suppose thst shouldn't surprise me. I met a Greek chappy the other week. Absolutely fantastic guy, with a really nice temeperament. Needless to say I didn't mention Cyprus

Based on your figues the number of G and GC's who actually protest in the UK over Cyprus is statistically insignificant.

Hi Middle Easter, I am gald we can agree . Have you recovered from the infusion of Lemon Vodka. Did sound really nice.

I am useless at Maths and economics. If you have time, could you explain to me in more detail how the 10% difference is derived. I have seen references to it before but don't fully understand it.

davidoff

Message Posted:
28/07/2007 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Hi all,

Hence why the UK cant be seen openly supporting TCs as otherwise they will have uproars and riots etc on there hands???

Mind you saying that there are thousands of turks in the UK aswell mainly students etc- but Im not sure what the figures are for them??

See ya D

kewen

Message Posted:
04/08/2007 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

New to the Northern cyprus issue and i am trying to learn all i can. So if I sound a bit dense please bare with me. If exchanged why is there not the same problems with exchange land in the south with TC claiming exchange land that has been built on. I know Larnarca airport is buit on exchange land.

Clueless

Message Posted:
04/08/2007 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

As I understand it there have been a couple of compensation claims made by TCs for land in the South, however the majority of TCs are more than happy with life in the TRNC and as always dont want to use the land issue as a propaganda tool.

Now the tricky bit, a 1974 plot of barren land in the North or South is valued at the 1974 price plus inflation to date, if this barren plot has since been improved i.e villas or apartments have been built on it the value is now minus any improvements, thus a plot of barren land with to blocks of apartments built on it has been improved 100% so the level of compensation is so small it is not worth the claimant pushing for compensation from the courts.

For the TCs this is not such a problem but for a GC to claim there land back they would be given the option to swap it for the land in the exchange land in the South, bearing in mind the land and property value differential between the two sides the GC would not be willing to pursue the matter.

kewen

Message Posted:
04/08/2007 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

So is the exchange scheme recognized by the south?

Bradus

Message Posted:
04/08/2007 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Kewen,

The south has played no part in this exchange. The terminology would have you believe that it is a legal exchange between a GC land owner and a TC land owner. In reality you are exchanging only with the TRNC government.A government not recognised by any other country other than Turkey. The land if owned by a GC pre 74 will remain legally his. If you purchase exchange land you must be prepared to take the risk of possibly having to pay compensation if the island unites or joins the EU. Lots of information about title deeds just seive through it and ignore the information provided by estate agents as they tend to play it down, obviously their main objective is to sell houses. Do not be tempted to buy TMD land as this is deemed the most unsafe. Pre 74 Turkish title is 100% legally safe but you pay a premium and have a very limited choice. Only you can make a decision as to which is more approprite for you....but only make this decision when you have all the facts.

suemonbon

Message Posted:
04/08/2007 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

I am a Greek Cypriot, permanently living in the US for the past 30 years.

I inherited a lot of land 20-30 different pieces in the Kerynia area from my parents after 1974 and I am looking for someone with real estate in the South, so that we can exchange properties.

Any interested parties, please email me at suemonbon@gmail.com

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.