North Cyprus Tourist Board - Good State Schools in Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Good State Schools in Northern Cyprus

Good State Schools in Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

smithy

Message Posted:
17/08/2008 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 39 in Discussion

Can anyone help with any info about the local Schools in and around Kyrenia, my two granddaughters have been to Sunny lane School for the last 2 years but as fees have nearly doubled this year, my Son can longer afford to keep them there, which has upset the girls, but I have been told that there are a few nice Schools around, so I'm asking you nice people who read this message to help me, if your child goes to a local School and is happy there please get back to me, The girls are 11 and 5 and are used to being at the same School which I hope they can continue to.

Smithy

maggymay

Message Posted:
17/08/2008 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Smithy

I understand what you are saying my daughter has been at sunnylane for 2 years and I can no longer afford the fees so have decided to put her in a local school it is opposite tempo set at the back in Karalangloulu I have been to see it and talked with the headmistress she was very nice and spoke good english some of the teachers there do speak english and I have been told it is the best state school in Kyrenia my daughter will start on the 15th sep and enrolling is between 8th and 10th sep.

Maggymay

livethedream

Message Posted:
17/08/2008 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 39 in Discussion

Hi smithy - my children are both going to state school in September, having been at Sunny Lane last year. My son is also 11, and so should be going to the next level school (eg. secondary), these don't tend to be attached to primary schools over here. Having said that, as their Turkish isn't up to secondary level they are both going to primary school, and they will work their way up through the classes. Hope you're girls settle in well, and as with my children (who are 11 and 9) will soon been fluent in Turkish.

I was worried about sending them to state school, but children are very adaptable and I think we tend to pass our anxiety onto them.

ltd

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 07:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Thank you so much for getting back to me, I wonder if my grandchildren will know youir daughter, their names are Tai and Yasmin Ricks, it would be nice to think that they have children they know already, Can we go along now or do we have to wait until enroling days, also if you have the name of the School, I'm sure I have seen the one that lays back off the road but thought it was private. Thanks again for your help.

Smithy

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Thankyou for getting back to me, maybe if your children were at Sunny Lane they would know Tai and Yasmin Ricks, and also is the State School your children are attending is the one opp Tempo also is it only a primary School and can you tell me the name of it , Tai is very good at the language, but Yasmin is still learning, I know they will adapt but a different school and to be split up will be even harder for them. Thanks again any info, would be great.

Smithy

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Maggymay sorry I forgot to ask how old your children are and whether its only a primary school, as I think having to change schools is hard enough but being split up will be harder, Tai is very good at the language but Yasmin is still learning it.

Smithy

maggymay

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Smithy

Yes this school is only a primary school and therefore they would be split up because of the age of your eldest, there is a school in Girne which is combined but not sure of name or exactly where it is there is also a school in Alsancak. I understand your worries but the state schools are very good and welcome english students. I hope you find one suitable.

Maggymay

maggymay

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Ltd

Which school have you chosen to put your children in and can I ask what their names are as my daughter may know them.

Maggymay

maggymay

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 39 in Discussion

My daughter is Leanne and she is 10

Maggymay

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 39 in Discussion

Thanks Maggy Tai wil probably know her, will ask later, Smithy

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 39 in Discussion

hi this is tai and i do know your daughter she is a very kind girl. do you know if i go to a local school i am supposed to be in year seven , will i be put back a year? tai (smithy)

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 39 in Discussion

My kids all go to state schools, my eldest are at Lapta Yavuzlar (the high school) and my daughter will be starting her last year at the Pimary in Alsancak. My kids did start off at Sunny Lane but it got too expensive for me as well (i have 4 kids!) they learnt more turkish in 3 months at state school than in 18 months at S-Lane.

I did get them extra turkish lessons though as they could speak turkish well but still needed help writing it etc.

I have no regrets and my kids have many TC friends and are Happy which is the main thing!

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 39 in Discussion

hi thanks for the info smithy

livethedream

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Maggymay and smithy - both my kids know Leanne, Tai and Yasmin, they were all on the same bus - Adam and Amy. They will be going to school in Gönyeli, as this is where we will be living once our house is built.

ltd

maggymay

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Tia

As I understand from your nan you can speak and understand turkish, therefore I dont think you will be held back and would go on to secondary but of course I cannot say for sure so would be best to contact the school direct.

Maggymay

smithy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 39 in Discussion

hi this is tai i know adam and amy there very nice children. say hello to them for me we will might be going to that school so see you soon tai

livethedream

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 39 in Discussion

Hi tai - that'd be great!!! adam and amy

fire starter

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 39 in Discussion

friends kids go by bus to the near east university in lefkosa. it is fee paying but not as expensive as sunny lane i believe. they are happy with it there. spoke with the english teacher there when we went to an event, she said lots of english kids there now. hope this helps.

bankadan

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 39 in Discussion

Does anyone know which would be the nearest local school to ozankoy. Also any feedback on it please? Apparantly the one in Catalkoy is full and only takes kids who live in the village.

Thanks!

smithy

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 39 in Discussion

hi thanks for the info smithy

TUFTY

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 39 in Discussion

Hi All

I have been having trouble with Sunny Lane since last April see the posting re schools we are now sending our children to state school and at present we are looking into schools between Catalkoy and Girne and will post information as we get it. I was a little concerned about the language barrier but as Conner and Alanah are now good with there Turkish it is not such a big concern, we were treated badly by Sunny Lane and hope they end up in the same situation as when they first opened with 6 pupils as business people they dont have a clue regarding customer relations it is just a case of how fast they can fill the pockets of the directors

smithy

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 11:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Tufty

100% agree with you they are money grabbing people and I hope they go under, my son has tried to get the fees together but what with the increase he just cant do it, now as he has'nt given them 3 months notice they will not refund his deposit for the two girls. Tai remembers Conner and Alanah they probably remember Tai Ricks. Now we have to look for a new but a State School before the term starts. Sunny Lane will shoot theirselves in the foot by upping their prices out of normal peoples budgets. Take care.

Smithy

ladylittle

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 39 in Discussion

Can I just ask, what about the actual education of the children?? Is it up to scratch in the state schools?? My son is only 13 months and we have been talking about schools already, but I would like him to get an education that would be recognised in the uk, should we ever go back, not likely but you never know.

I refuse to send him to sunny lane, but we have been having a debate about state/ private schools for a while, the most import thing here is the quality of the education given to our children.

kiwikid

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 39 in Discussion

I tried to post before but I think it went missing,

ltd

We live in Gonyeli as well, I have a 5 year old and a 9 year old both go to Near East, its a great school and almost half the price the price of Sunny Lane.

The price includes bus from my house, all the uniforms, all books (excerise one ) and healthy hot lunches all I have to buy are their pencils.

The education is great and the facilities fantastic, in door pool, staduim even a hospital.

The best bit is that there are no fee increase, what ever you start paying is what you continue paying though out there time there. fees will increase when they move to college.

10% discount for payment before the 1st of sept and another 10% for other children of the same family.

My boy has been there 4 years now and my little girl 2. I can't fault it.

May see you around Gonyeli when your place is finished

Angela

smithy

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 39 in Discussion

hi

yes ive heard about near east but its still a private school and were lokking for a state school smithy

livethedream

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 39 in Discussion

hi kiwikid - I think you're the same Angela I've been told I can meet at the next 'Ladies' Night'!! Would love to meet up, we're actually moving into a rented place in Gönyeli next month - I hear you might have a bit more time on your hands by then!

Karen

ps. We were looking at Near East but were told that they had to sit an entrance exam - which they wouldn't have had a hope completing. Also looked into Turk Maarif, but then only my son would have been eligible.

young_blitz

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 39 in Discussion

hello all i am a 17 year male living in cyprus. I have been to most of the english schools out in cyprus. At first i went to g.a.u 3 years ago and that was no good at all they refused to teach me certain classes because i am english including maths history even turkish. Then i went to Sunny lane i was there for a year and a half. It was very unorganised, when i first went i was in year 10. But there was no teachers for us so they put us with the year 9s. So we were learning the same things as they were. Then when i went into year 11 about 2 days out of each weeks we were without teachers for at least 3 hours. We where then told we couldn't take our GCSEs and then we were told we could. There was not a lot of choise though. I would like to join the army but i want some coulifications aswell. To get a job in the army you have to get a sports gcse but i was told that i could not do that gcse because there was not fully trained staff to teach me. then we could either choose science or history not both, english , maths and thats it really. also you have to pay about 250 dollors per exam you take. Personally i think that you need a childs point of view to find a good school. The best school is near east it may be a bit far out for people living on this side of the island (girne, alsancak , lapta) but it is the best school on the island.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
14/09/2008

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 39 in Discussion

And there you have it, well done Young Blitz for being honest and telling it as it is. What will be your plans now, will you still stay in NC ? God luck whatever you do.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 39 in Discussion

Sorry that should read "Good" luck.

Hagoshirim

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 39 in Discussion

Hope you good people with kids didn,t get enticed with a 'pay-up-front-discount'

for the forthcoming school year.

They used that sales tact with the AGA buyers and others.

maggymay

Message Posted:
01/12/2008 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 39 in Discussion

Hi Kiwikid

Could you please tell me where this school is as I live in Alsancak and how much are the fees also do you know anything about the state school in Alsancak.

Thanks

southgate

Message Posted:
29/03/2009 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 39 in Discussion

I have an eight year old daughter and we will be moving to TRNC in about December when my husband finishes his army. I am very excited but nervous at the prospects of her schooling. I have read many posts on here alot of which are very helpful and informative, but am now more confused. Private schools seem to be good, but should she go to a state school so she intergrates,(she is quite shy)? If she goes to a state school Im worried she will not grasp the language quick enough and become even more shy and introvert!! Do you think I should get her lessons here?

semtcm

Message Posted:
30/03/2009 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 39 in Discussion

state schools now operate under catchment areas - so effectively you can't choose the state - ıt chooses you ,dependıng where you lıve.

Çatalköy school is not full, but you will need a letter from the muktar confirming you have residency in that village.

I can not fault the education at primary level. It is when they get to seconary school you need to make sure they get into one of the colleges. State Education here is recognised world wide, my landlords children attended state schools and one has graduated from Turkey and the other one is reading Law in the UK. Both my kıds go to Çatalkoy school, have adapted brilliantly are top of their classes! Wish i was so clever!

southgate

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 01:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 39 in Discussion

Thats encouraging to hear semtcm! My husband was born and brought up in Catalkoy so thats where we will be living. Could you tell me when the school breaks up for the summer we arrive on July 18th and would like to visit it.

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 39 in Discussion

State Primary schools break up the first or second week in June!! Not sure of the exact date sorry!

southgate

Message Posted:
31/03/2009 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 39 in Discussion

Damn!!... Will have to come back during half term here!!!

southgate

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 39 in Discussion

I feel like a bit of a pest here but I cant even sleep at night thinking about schools! Does anyone have the number of Catalkoy school and do they have a prospectus (or is that asking to much?) How many english children go to the school? Ive googled them but cant find any info!

If anyone has any info please let me know

Thanx

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 39 in Discussion

Southgate

Unfortunatly the local state schools don't do much in the way of prospectus's etc. But at the end of every school year all the schools prepare a year book, with loads of info about the school and pictures etc from the years events. Ask someone to get one for you.

southgate

Message Posted:
01/04/2009 18:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 39 in Discussion

Thankyou authentichoccie

Do your children go there?

If so how long did it take for them to grasp turkish? Are all the lessons taught in turkish?

Sorry Im being a pest again!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.