North Cyprus Tourist Board - Urgent call to sign Law Petition
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Urgent call to sign Law Petition

Urgent call to sign Law Petition

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

sissy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 41 in Discussion

Any one interested in signing the law petition?

Esentepe Bacheli Tatlisu area information

Read about Marion Stokes appearing on Television Next week.

rtddci

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 41 in Discussion

Sissy

Do you have a link?

Martin

sissy

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 41 in Discussion

http://uk.msnusers.com/EsentepeBacheliTatlisuareainformation

Hope this helps rtddci

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 41 in Discussion

This is the information:

VERY IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ:

I have had a call from Cyprus Star regarding the TV programme and the petition to amend the SP Law. Marian Stokes is appearing this week on their programme and I will appear next week. At the bottom of Marian's interview this week they will add a section about the petition and calling for more signatures before the petition is presented to the government next week. But currently there are only 846 names, which to put it bluntly, is a very poor show considering this affects thousands of buyers past and future. WE NEED AS MANY SIGNATURES AS POSSIBLE BY THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK IF WE ARE TO SHOW THE GOVERNMENT THAT THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR BUYERS!!!!!!! For the thousands of people without title deeds; please sign. For the few that do have title deeds; please sign to make the system better for everyone.

here is the link:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petitioncyprus/index.html

Whilst I believe that it is better that the law is repealed, this is the only way at the moment to show the precarious position of property buyers here. There is strength in numbers. Instead of moaning about the system, lets all come together to show our feelings.

Sibel

dozza67

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 41 in Discussion

Tried the link but got "Hmmm, We Can't Find that Page... "

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 41 in Discussion

Just signed - we should try to keep this at the top!

SteveAustin

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 41 in Discussion

Keep getting "Signature not recorded".

Mike.

schnib

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 41 in Discussion

hi sissy,tried to sign the petition-got message-signature no recorded. i will keep trying. best of luck to you and marion. ARE YOU THINKING OF ESTABLISHING A FIGHTING FUND.we are moving to trnc april 2009. ray.

SAFFI

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 41 in Discussion

Just signed, best of luck

Saffi

joanie1

Message Posted:
18/08/2008 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 41 in Discussion

Just signed - hope everyone else will too. Hope all the builders and developers and their lawyers and the politicians realise that Marion is doing so much that is positive for her adopted country - it is imperative that instead of moaning about this that and everything else we should all follow her example. Note to Mr Soyer and Mr Talat and the Council of Ministers - just think of all us honest folk out here who took the advice of your lawyers and were told that PTP was just a stupid formality (not to be bothered with) and we are waiting years for our PTP and all of us with the VAT and Tax money in our accounts but not to be parted with until we get our Kocans on the table. All you gentlemen have to do is pass a law forcing builders etc to give us our Kocans and all this money can be yours - legally - because for sure -we have all learned the hard way - but until our properties are legally ours why should we part with another cent. This lovely little country can be rich in its own right without a penny from the EU (which believe me will come with strings attached.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 41 in Discussion

Steve Austin and Schnib - please keep trying. I think there is a quirk in the system. Sometimes when you fill in your details and press submit, it displays a page saying internet explorer couldn't display the page or tells you it can't find the page, or it says you have already registered, but it has actually logged your details. Because you think it hasn't filed your info, you try again, and then it tells you your details are already recorded because it did work the first time.

On the petition page, if you go in to "Signatures" and you can see whether your your name has only just gone on.

Please keep the signatures coming asap

Thanks

Sibel

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 41 in Discussion

Excellent interview by Marian on AdaTV last night. It can be seen by clicking on this link http://adatv.tv/eng/ and clicking "dispatches." Please support those who are trying to bring postive changes for all buyers here and sign the petition to amend the specific performance law ASAP:

I have sent an email today to estate agents and lawyers calling for them to sign the petition. Tommorrow I will send it to the lawyers. I believe it is in their best interests to bring about contructive changes to protect buyers.

Sibel

SteveAustin

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 41 in Discussion

Tried several times today and still no luck.

Mike.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 41 in Discussion

For all of those having trouble you can email me your names or if you wish to be annonymous just send me a blank email and I will put your names on the petition even if it kills me!

Sibel

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
19/08/2008 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 41 in Discussion

My email is sibellehodge@hotmail.com

McSteviet

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 08:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 41 in Discussion

Also, don't sign on behalf of family i.e. MR & Mrs Smith & Kids, get each person to sign it, then the numbers may increase quicker.

Sible only has a couple of days left to get as many to sign as possible.

MC

Aussie

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 41 in Discussion

The site seems to always give you messages that it hasen't worked but I found it did work anyway despite this.

Near the top of the page after you have sent your details use the back button on your browser to return to the original page and click on the signatures tab at the top and you should be able to see your name added at the bottom on the last page if it worked.

Still only 928 signatures. so keep them coming

Aussie

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 41 in Discussion

From Ismet:

Tonight's guest on Ada TV at 8 pm is Advocate Arif Tahir Erisen. His English is good and he has good knowledge on property matters. His office is in Famagusta and thus we often exchange views on the subject. It should be a very useful programme, worth watching.

ismet

PLEASE KEEP SIGNING. WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO COLLECT SIGNATURES!!!!

If anyone is having problems signing please email me and I will do it for you. My emai is sibellehodge@hotmail.com if you wish to remain annonymous please let me know

Sibel

schnib

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 41 in Discussion

hi kibrissibel we have signed up. very best of luck.

Aussie

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 41 in Discussion

Is Ada TV available of Turksat 2a (the old satelite) or hotbird or is it just on the new Turkstat 3a satellite as I haven't been able to find it

Aussie

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
20/08/2008 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 41 in Discussion

It will be on Turksat soon but at the moment it is only via this link:

http://adatv.tv/eng/

Thanks to all who have signed the petition so far, but PLEASE INFORM AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN to sign it. We can't miss this opportunity to show the government the problems that thousands of us are facing. The HBPG and everyone else working to help make constructive changes to protect buyer's safety REALLY NEED YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT ON THIS.

Sibel

McSteviet

Message Posted:
21/08/2008 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 41 in Discussion

Back to the top.

Please sign the petition.

It's in your intrest that this Law is changed.

Support Sible now.

MC

stevemac

Message Posted:
21/08/2008 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 41 in Discussion

Come on you miserable lot. There's 2465 members of this board, plus all the people that just view. I've just signed the petition, my partner signed it a while back. I've just emailed family and friends to get them to sign it. All of you that have asked Ismet on these sites questions regarding your property, have you signed? All of those who have asked Homebuyers pressure group for help and advice, have you signed? All those who have looked at their website for information, have you signed? It's the least you can do. Are some of you assuming that you won't experience any problems because your honorable estate agent/lawyer/developer has told you so? Don't forget many of you won't suffer problems until the later stages.

How would you feel if Marian, HBPG, Ismet, Sibel etc were not there in two years time when you run into troubles because they can't be bothered any more through lack of support, just like the ones who haven't signed can't be bothered? Don't forget all the time they spend voluntarily sorting out your problems, answering your questions and trying to help you. SIGN THE PETITION! SUPPORT THEM! THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE ONE DAY YOU WILL NEED THEM.

Steve

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
21/08/2008 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 41 in Discussion

Thanks Steve and all those who have signed the petition or emailed me to do it for you. We still need more signatures. Please keep them coming.

Sibel

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
21/08/2008 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 41 in Discussion

An interview last night with Arif Erisen, a lawyer in Famagusta, can bee seen on this link: http://adatv.tv/eng/ and click "dispatches" he is talking about the specific performance law.

Sibel

phylray

Message Posted:
22/08/2008 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 41 in Discussion

Signed it. Yes, if you look at list you can see your name on it even

though it is giving info. that it hasn't worked.

cocos

Message Posted:
22/08/2008 07:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 41 in Discussion

What a great post Steve. I hope people sit up and take notice. Marian and HBPG does an awful lot to help people here instead of sitting on their behinds and procrastinating. How would you feel if she gave it up tommorrow and retired like she came here to do in the first place? We'd all be stuffed if she did that.

The apathy amongst people to sign the petition amazes me.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
22/08/2008 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 41 in Discussion

There is a good article in Cyprus Star this week that highlights the threats/harassment etc that buyers are facing here. Marian's TV interview is also in there for people who did not see it live.

Please keep the signatures coming on the petition. We still need more!

Sibel

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
23/08/2008 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 41 in Discussion

Unfortunately the petition to amend the Specific Performance Law was started prior to the Estate Agents Law coming into force and it is not possible to amend the details on the petition after the signatures are added. But we still need as many signatures of possible. As the Estate Agents Law does provide some protection via registration of contracts, it is now important that the Specific Performance Law is REPEALED instead of amended. This will mean that ANYONE (past and present) with a valid Contract of Sale will be able to sue for their title deeds under section 76 of Contract Law with NO RESTRICTIONS (other than the normal statute of limitations.)

I am told that the biggest contributors to the economy in TRNC are universities, tourism and the construction industry. Because of the embargoes, the cost and the time of flight travel, many of the British tourists are people who have bought property here. Purchasers should be treated as a prized asset, and as such, there should be constructive and postive changes in the law to protect them. After all, they will be the ones keeping the economy afloat. The lack of laws are killing two contributors with one stone.

Yesterday I was called to the police station because of an email I sent (copy below) to estate agents/lawyers/developers, asking them to sign the Specific Performance Law petition.

Dear Sir/Madam

At present there is no protection for purchasers of property in the TRNC to compel their vendor to transfer the title deeds. The specific performance law must be changed to provide security for all purchasers of property in the TRNC and bring confidence back to the construction industry. As a company whose business is related to the property sector, I believe such changes are also in your best interests. At present it is unworkable because in order to obtain specific performance (compel your vendor to transfer the title deeds) 1) you must register your contract with the Land Registry within 21 days of signing the contract and 2) an action must be instituted within 2 months from the date of the contract. Foreign purchasers will not even get their permission to purchase within 2 months and if people are buying off plan, their property will not be completed within 2 months, so at present they are not protected under this law.

Huge media coverage of this subject is taking place over the next few weeks because this affects thousands of buyers who are still waiting for their deeds. If we are to obtain a constructive and positive change in the law, we need more signatures on the petition to amend this outdated law before it is presented to the government. I would be grateful if you and your staff could sign asap. The link to the petition is: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... index.html This petition was set up by Ismet Ustuner and is endorsed by the HomeBuyers Pressure Group. There does seem to be a quirk in the system upon signing so please persist.

Kind regards

Sibel Hodge

(HomeBuyers Pressure Group)

So Marian, myself and Brad trundled up to the police station and spoke to a nice Sergeant who offered us coffee and cigarettes, and we had a nice chat about the Specifc Performance Law and why were trying to change it. He wanted me to send a copy of the email to his email address so I asked if that meant he was going to sign the petition for us. Unfortunately he said he couldn't.

I believe it is anyones best interest who has a business connected to the construction industry to sign the petition and to welcome changes which protect the buyers. Sadly, one of them didn't feel the same and felt that they should make a complaint to the police. Sadly, the complainant wasn't able to see the bigger picture; that changes which protect the purchaser will restore the confidence back in the construction industry and will in turn help them.

Lazy days

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 41 in Discussion

Signed - lets keep this to the top -

better than all the back biting that goes on on these forums

cocos

Message Posted:
27/08/2008 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 41 in Discussion

Sibel How pathetic that the Police call you in because of a complaint about an email but when people go there with real complaints about threats and bullying etc they say it's a civil matter! I'm glad to see you've not been put off by this.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
29/08/2008 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 41 in Discussion

You can read the interview with lawyer Arif Erison regarding the issue of specific performance in this weeks Cyprus Star.

We still need more signatures on the petition. Please keep signing!

Sibel

lozzie

Message Posted:
29/08/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 41 in Discussion

Just signed petition, I was number 1134 to sign.

Please keep signing.

Pipie

Message Posted:
29/08/2008 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 41 in Discussion

i have brought this to the top , there are are a number of people out there who are just at the begining or in the middle of there purchase please be aware that for some of you all will not go smoothly , please sign this petition in order for all to have a positive outcome when purchasing in the TRNC .

Only this week another buyer is bieng harrassed bullied and treated very unfairly , now this is because these unprofesional people beleive they can ride rough shod over people . This could be you .

Remember just a SIGNATURE can prevent this happening .

PtePike

Message Posted:
29/08/2008 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 41 in Discussion

Sibel,

Were you asked to attend the police station on a voluntary basis and given the chance to have a lawyer present? I'm wondering if you went there on the basis of an "offending" e-mail whether you were placed under common law caution. What are the police trying to prove? As cocos said, it is a disgrace that they will ignore threats and intimidation (as long as the victim is a foreigner) but kiss the a*** of the developers, whom they may well be taking bribes from.

In your position I'd be writing to the prime minister. Not because I would expect a reply, but so I could get his name in the story when I went to the newspapers. This episode is proof of the deep state within the north, which in Europe we would call a police state. It's sinister.

Pipie

Message Posted:
29/08/2008 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 41 in Discussion

Ptepike , injustice is rife , ask him if he is aware ?!!!!!!!!1

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 41 in Discussion

Pte Pike - I was asked to attend the police station about this email, rather than arrested. The PS was very nice to us and we discussed the many problems that vendors are faced with here. It is a shame, however, that the police did not act with such enthusiasm when we were threatened or had our electricity cut off.

It is also a shame that when people go to the police station to report threats, assault, harassment, blackmail and fraud they are told it is a civil matter and do not seem to be willing to do anything about it. I worked for the police in the UK for 10 years and, however you look at it, there's no getting away from that fact that these are criminal matters. Often people who are in this situation are at their wits end with nowhere else to turn.

Sibel

Pipie

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 41 in Discussion

These harassment , blackmail , bullying tactics are now being brought into the open more and more , if people can just talk about there experiences , this will help people feel less alone .

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 41 in Discussion

Re my message 37: Sorry, I meant to write: the problems that buyers are faced with - not vendors.

Sibel

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 41 in Discussion

There is a lot of apathy here and the only way we can change things is if we all act together pro-actively. There are still not enough names on the petition and the specific performance law must be changed or repealed to provide protection for buyers. If anyone is able to collect paper signatures, please email me and I will send you a blank template sheet and a copy of the petition to print out and collect them. If people don't have access to the internet, I can print copies out for them and I will be at the Pia Bella, Girne tommorrow 12pm - 3pm and they can collect them from me so please let me know.

sibellehodge@hotmail.com or 0533 8409723

petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petitioncyprus/index.html

Sibel

simbas

Message Posted:
08/09/2008 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 41 in Discussion

the bel-barko's all signed up , arif is our solicitor , so he's kept us updated

simbas

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.