North Cyprus Tourist Board - Problems with Nethouse
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Problems with Nethouse

Problems with Nethouse

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Hi is there anyone in the Lapta area experiencing eratic internet service from Nethouse, e.g. slow, cutting out and failing to get online ?

Has anyone had the new Motorola dish fitted from Nethouse and what difference has it made ?

Barno

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

Hi we are in karsiyaka and we have been experiencing the same problems, driving me mad! I will report it

aerhere

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

Yes, here too. Fed up of reporting it to them. Once again waited all day for an engineer to visit. They were here last Friday and Satuday, each time they say 'fixed' but it seems to be fine for a few minutes/hours before the problem returns. They were supposed to fit a Motorola dish but did not, could not get a signal to the Motorola base station. In the meantime, getting more and more frustrated with it all. We are in Lapta/Alsancak border area.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

Sorry to be a dissident (again ), but all's fine with Nethouse Networks in Yeşiltepe (on the outskirts of Alsancak). My connection has certainly improved since the technician fitted the Motorola antenna.

Chicken

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

Living in Catalkoy - similar problems, waited all day today as told technician would be calling as we were "on the list" for them to look at the internet problem. Didn't come. Not got our new antenna yet either.

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

Perhaps it's time to change to another provider, any recommendations.

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Sorry to butt in with a message for Ballymurphy. Re our conversation today here are some links that you may find useful.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com & http://www.okreserved.com/

zerochlor

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

There is no better provider on the island ballymurphy.

Nethouse are upgrading all the time to give us a better service.

The new antennas they will be fitting for all of there customers will have cost a small fortune,bare with them,im sure its not going to be for long.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Msg 7

What the f............ has car rental got to do with Internet connection? Best get back to Olivia Newton John in Grease!

Richard

annie

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

I have to agree with Zerochlor we are in Catalkoy area and to date have received an excellent service, we have had 2 short interuptions over the last nine months both times in bad weather conditions. Otherwise all good.

lilyross

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

i am in Karsiyaka and its driven me mad today ...I thought it was my laptop !

flawww

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

I would recommend you guys to have a go at eXtend for a change. They have doubled their base stations in the last 6 months or so in Girne/Alsancak/Lapta region. ;))

newscoop

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

On Lapta/Karsiyake border and apart from a few occasions it's generally very good and no problems this week.

(Nethouse) still waiting for new Motorola thingy.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

Apologies to all Nethouse Users in the Lapta / Karsiyaka areas.

The downtime today was NO fault of Nethouse's.

Their relay station is situated on top of the Celebrity Hotel. During the power-cut on the strip today our generator failed (battery problems despite a recent service) so no power was going to their station.

Again, apologies to Nethouse and its Customers (though if we must point the finger perhaps KibTek could explain why, after 36 years, they have yet to learn how to guarantee a supply of electricty).

stephen48

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

we're not with nethouse, with another provider but for 2 days our connection has been terrible. normally very good so obviously something is amiss. gordon may have explained why .....

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
05/10/2010 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

Sorry, but electric was down for only an hour or so.

Otherwise was as normal.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

I have used Extend for some 6 years other than a short flirtation with G3 (or whatever it is called) which was a disaster. For me their service has got better year on year though the last week or two I have experienced the same problems as reported above so perhaps it is a problem at the moment for all ISPs. Many of my neighbours over the years have flitted from ISP to ISP and changed their TV service providers also but in the main have returned to Extend and Digiturk. I admire those who have the courage to do something at great inconvenience to themselves on the principle that they should get what they pay for but being an old fart who does not cope well with "change" I hide behind the thought that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill. I have also a neighbour who when given the word "Dopi" goes immediately from amicable mode to ballistics or similar words

flawww

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 01:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

^ haha...

And yeah, since a couple of weeks or so we are having a huge electrical outages all over NC, and not just in girne or lapta region. ISP's deploy mostly passive ups's, and even a moderately (2-3KVA) equipped online ups is not gonna hold the charge for hours and hours on trot in electrical failures.

So yeah, where would we be without internet, but i would prefer a stable electrical line anytime.

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 06:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

I have intermittent slow connection for a few days now.

Do you contact Nethouse to arrange a Motorola antenna fitting?

Bob

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 08:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

Gordon this nethouse problem is ongoing for about three weeks now so it isn't just because of the electricity failure yesterday. They are changing their base station from the Celebrity Hotel to a base station higher up somewhere in Lapta but they haven't got it online yet. They will have to get their act together or loose a lot of customers.

Roxybob, good luck with contacting Nethouse about the new Motorola dish, they don't seem to have a clue about what to do next.

proger1

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

Bob, they should connect you as a matter of course however if it were me I would call the help desk and advise them when would be best for you.

Just my opinion although I would point out that as above having had the new reciever installed I have had lots of intermittent drop outs, it only takes 10 seconds to power off and back on the module though.

I live in Catalkoy aswell so it isn't just the area.

Paul

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 08:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

Have been with Extend for the past 18 months and can only sing their praises. Very few outages and those that occur are almost always due to power cuts. Consistent 1mb+ connection speed and priced reasonably.

Paul

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

Proger1 I have called the help desk and the reply I got was that they don't know when they can come and fit the new Motorola dish. When you ask them a question about something they aren't sure of e.g. bandwidth they just cut you off. Not the best call centre in the world.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

I have communicated with a Nethouse technician via SKYPE and got a 100% helpful answer (in good English as far as I can judge) within seconds. It worked FAR BETTER than calling the office in Girne, where the two girls are very friendly but technically not as good as the people in Northern Nicosia. Try SKYPE (write or talk!) and get an instant reply!

proger1

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

The only other thing I could suggest is to go to the place you got your original connection sorted out or where you pay your fees. I use H & N computers and Nafise is always able to sort things out for me as she can speak turkish and english, I explain it to her and she does the rest, they are normally around to fix everything within 24 hours max.

waddo

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 09:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

Stick with Nethouse! They are in the process of a mass upgrade and nothing will go smooth when you attempt that. If you can remember back when ITC upgraded their equipment - of course we all had to pay for it, not free like Nethouse - there were disruptions to service then as well.

I have been with ITC, Extend and Nethouse and by far the best is the Nethouse service and support. But then with only 40 odd years in the trade of IT and Communications you would probably be better off asking and expert for their opinion.

ballymurphy

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

Hi waddo, thanks for that information, it would have good if Nethouse had informed us of this.

raidercruise

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

No need to change the ISP's. It is normal. I mean how much load one fiber optic line could take. Sometime net house has problems, sometimes Extend and sometimes Telecommunication doing maintenance. No guarantee for 24 x 7 Internet Service.

Actually some time I feel lucky that at least I got Internet at home. It Hooks me up with my family back in UK.

All ISP providers using the same backbone in Northern Cyprus.

What makes a difference is customer service and after sales. If your Internet provider gives you after sales service that is it then.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 10:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

I tried to remotely control someone's PC who is with another ISP... Frankly, I don't know how some of you tolerate such a RUBBISH service..

There is no extensive cabled infrastructure and wireless is ALWAYS going to be second best.. esp. with 'dirty' / intermittent power and the local topography :(

Washerman

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Waddo - the amount that you paid for the upgrade was re-imbursed from the following year's payment - this topic has been put to bed many times, but people like you insist on bringing it up - I can only guess as to why!

I do love to see people speculate about something that they know very little about though!

Washerman

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

mmmmmm - with such bad connections in NC, how do you think that your Slingplayer scheme will turn out?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

Washerman,

when the connection is SO slow / dropping ... effectively slower than a an early analogue dial-up using a modem - I hardly think the slingbox solution would work.... NOTHING works.. :(

Some parts of 'TRNC' seem to have stable, reliable internet and the trial is working extremely well for those lucky folk..

I believe it was you that said that a slingbox soln wouldn't work.. So how come we have a member using TWO sling boxes to allow his wife to watch a different channel in a different room ?

IF those with unreliable connectivity get sorted - it works....

You could say I'm VERY interested to see folks get a reliable provider..

Now, as you used to be in this biz - you might be in a good position to explain to folks - in simple non-techie speak - WHY some areas are CRAP !

Deniz1

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

What a lot of moaners you are when i first came here Internet was hardly available its come on leaps and boinds since then. If you dont like it go somewhere else more up to date.

teatime

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

No complaints about Nethouse here, put in within a day of requesting it and been good ever since. First month anyway (Touch Wood).

Washerman

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

mmmmmm - "Used to be in this biz" ?

We are still in this biz and have been for the last seven years in Northern Cyprus and being local and agents for the top two ISPs, we are probably better placed to sort out people's problems. 0533 869 4371 (Gwyn)

Plus, we have already added a Slingbox solution to our TV product portfolio at 149TL per month - BUT - customers need a good (constant) 1Mb internet connection and the system is not guaranteed to work when the internet is busy in Northern Cyprus or, anywhere across Europe (inbetween the TRNC and UK) - from 7pm to 10pm in the evenings.

We see this as an alternative for customers who can't or, don't want to have a big satellite dish installed, but we are not expecting it to be too popular because we already do a £5 per month Live UK TV over the internet system with excellent picture quality and the Slingbox solution at 149TL per month is quite a lot more expensive, but you do get more channels!

waddo

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

Glad to see that a mobile phone background has provided enough expertise to deal with IT networks. Hope all the books I gave you have been put to good use and that you have gleaned sufficient knowledge from them to continue provision of a most excellent service to your customer base.

"Waddo - the amount that you paid for the upgrade was re-imbursed from the following year's payment - this topic has been put to bed many times, but people like you insist on bringing it up - I can only guess as to why!" - Go for it, guess away and make it public, I could care less but only if I really tried.

The point I was making was that Nethouse are upgrading without asking the customer to pay up front in advance and NOT that any other company compelled their customer base to fund the "essential" upgrade to improve a service. But if the comment offended you then I withdraw it because it must have stung for some reason.

Washerman

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

Waddo, thank you. Yes, as mobile telephones and computers have merged into one device, my knowledge of both technologies gives me a clear advantage over the competition.

The business has moved on and as the technology matures and becomes much cheaper, I am not surprised that companies can now upgrade 'free' , but then, we upgraded TIC customers free so, same difference!

Your comment didn't sting Waddo, but to maintain balance, I have to reply.

halffull

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

Got to say have not had a problem with Nethouse over the last nine months until today, when I couldn't get connected to Google using the new UK vpn. Two emails to Nethouse and an hour later it's all sorted and everything is working fine again.

I went to Nethouse originally because the staff in my bank recommended them when we were looking for a reliable network connection.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

re w/man msg 35

>>We are still in this biz and have been for the last seven years in Northern Cyprus and being local and agents for the top two ISPs, we are probably better placed to sort out people's problems. <<

You don't CONTROL a network any more.. and as you are 'so well placed' WHY are some folks internet solutions so flaky - esp. after all the time you've had to put it 'right' ? ;)

>>we have already added a Slingbox solution to our TV product portfolio at 149TL per month<<

WHAT? .. are they made of platinum !? approx THREE TIMES what we will charge...

>>customers need a good (constant) 1Mb internet connection .. the system is not guaranteed to work when the internet is busy from 7pm to 10pm in the evenings. <<

500kps is proving MORE than sufficient when the slingboxes are properly configured on a laptop

(cont)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

w/man re 35

>>We see this as an alternative for customers who can't or, don't want to have a big satellite dish installed, but we are not expecting it to be too popular because we already do a £5 per month Live UK TV over the internet system with excellent picture quality and the Slingbox solution at 149TL per month is quite a lot more expensive, but you do get more channels!<<

VPNs - as a solution to watching most LIVE UK channels are all but finished... ( We've been selling Commercial VPN solutions for 18 yrs !) Combining a slingbox with a PVR Hard drive acting as a VCR in a Sat receiver means you CAN watch what you want WHEN you want and WHERE you want.. a the recordings can be KEPT.. not like iplayer..

I watched an HD recorded movie on my mobile phone - when the Missus was shopping in Bristol at the weekend, and N.Ireland failing to beat the Faroe Islands using an unsecured hotel WiFi last night .. I can't BELIEVE I pooh-poohed slingboxes for so long..

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.