North Cyprus Tourist Board - Hi to everyone we are new to this forum
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Hi to everyone we are new to this forum

Hi to everyone we are new to this forum

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

We live in Perth Western Australia, have been looking at this forum for a long time and we really enjoy reading through the posts, so thought it was time to join the community. We lived in Turkey for 6 months ( place called Kusadasi been there twice, 1st time 3 months, 2nd time 6 months ) thought it was a great place, we toured Europe but never got to North Cyprus, but next year we will try and get over if all goes well, thinking about staying for 6 to 12 months, use N.C as a base and do a bit of travel and see if N.C is a place for us to retire, Turkey is out it's getting quite expensive , will have a look at Spain they say that it's now up to 40% cheaper than Turkey, we have worked hard all our lives and just want a good place to retire, ( rent or buy ), thats something to think about once we have been living in the country for a while, always looking for advice and any will be very helpfull.

thanks Rob

dizzycows

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Hi aussiejock and welcome, Kusadasi brings back memories for me, first time I flew we went there, must be 25yrs ago!!!!

Pugwash

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

If anyone says Spain is 40% cheaper than Turkey they must be stark raving mad!

scruffdog

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Welcome to the board aussiejock. Why on earth do you want to leave Perth? I was there this time last year, visiting my Son and his fiancee, and will be returning in a year for their wedding. Perth is a fantastic city and the Australians have it right as far as work and leisure are concerned.

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

welcome to the forum. I think Perth is one of the best places on earth, as scruffdog says the Austrilians know how to work and play x

Brinsley

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Start buying TL, Euro, USA$ or £ now with the present extraordinary strength of the Oz $.

Richard

halffull

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Where's the usual "don't come here" brigade?

With their negativity.

Are they having a day off for a change? and allowing us who love it here to enjoy the forum!!

Give it a try mate, it is a lovely place.

Can't say I was impressed with the Australia but it was 40 years ago.

proger1

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

halffull, probably calling it "the Australia" might have made you a bit of an outsider lol

Groucho

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Definitely rent... nothing tying you down. No deeds to worry about.

See which areas you like... live there for a bit. Move on if you decide it's not you.

It's generally only when you fall foul of the house buying fiasco that things go pear-shaped here and you can avoid that by not partaking of that minefield.

Jefferson

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Spot on Groucho. Come rent and enjoy.

Evilo

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Thought Oz would have been better than TRNC?

aussiejock

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Why would I want to leave Perth, don't get me wrong Perth is a great city and I live just outside of Fremantle near the beach, have lived in Australia for 34 years spent 5 years traveling Australia in a motor home loved it, settled in Perth and have had a good life, but now we want a change and the med has always been my dream, I want the laidback life, I love going to the restaurants sitting by the sea and just having a lazy day, eat at home or go out for dinner so taxing on the brain, no I like that lifestyle, tried Turkey but not for us, and Spain it's only what I read, economy crook, property down the gurgler, and a buyers market, the Aussie dollar is very high, nearly on par with the American dollar, and they say it will get to $1.20 American to $1.00 Australian great for us. Will put our house on the market and once sold we are off. and as Groucho said rent and if it's not for us then I can go to another country.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

I was in Scotland last year and loved it, if not for the weather I would live my life back in Glasgow. but with living in N.C I can visit Glasgow at anytime and have the best of both worlds, a lot of people think that Australia is utopia it's not, like any large City they have problems Perth has the highest crime rate of any City in Australia, drink is a very big problem with the young, Streets in Fremantle and perth you wouldn't walk along, house burgalries are at an alarming rate, they seem to target the elderly, and it's not a cheap place to live the average house price is now $500.000 AU thats $700.000 lira, I think it would be better in the bank earning interest which I could live off rather than tied up in bricks, the young person has no chance of owning a house he couldn't afford one, all said and done we still love the place, but at our age we still need adventure in our lives so lets hope we enjoy TRNC and make it our home

HildySmith

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Message 9

Spot On!!!!! - Rent don't buy.

you can rent some great properties her at reasonable rates and you don't have the hassle of kocans, deeds, dodgy builders, dodgy advocates and dodgy landowners which we have had. Still no house but renting in no problems (well few problems but not mine - the landlords)

nurseawful

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Re message 13,

If it wasn't for the weather we probably would never have left Scotland either. Glasgow is probably the friendliest city I have ever been in, the people are so down to earth and love them or loathe them what you see is what you get! (No I am not a weegie)

We spent 6 weeks in Oz in 2001 mainly Melbourne and Sydney and although we loved the country could see potential problems in the future e.g. Scots stayed in one part, English in another, Greeks and on and on it went. A recipe for disaster with very few nationalities integrating.

Get in touch when you finally get here and if you need info just e-mail.

Regards

Chris

gavangie

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Aussie, welcome to forum.

Having lived last 42 years in Scotland we have decided to relocate to TRNC next Spring. Main reason is the weather (the west coast is too wet) and the midgies (there's a poem about them but can't remember it all). Mosquitoes we can deal with but when the Scottish midgie is out you just can't go outdoors! Agree that Scotland (and Glasgow in particular) is one of the friendliest places on earth but that's because the Scots still have the ability to laugh at themselves and don't take themselves too seriously. Hope you enjoy TRNC and maybe we will meet up someday.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
06/10/2010 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

aussijock. If you have only been to Kusadasi in Turkey then you haven't been to Turkey. We have 2 holidays there a year at different resorts our favourites are Akyaka, Cesme & Yalikavak each place being different from the other with regards to expense, the large tourist places we leave alone and go to the Turkish village type resorts. We have had holidays in North Cyprus Dec/Jan for the past 7 years and do not find it any cheaper than the mainland in fact we find eating out in restaurants a little more expensive. If you do decide on North Cyprus maybe on your travels you could try some of the nice little places in Turkey, enjoy whatever you do.

jock1

Message Posted:
07/10/2010 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Welcome to the forum aussiejock, cant think were you could have dug a name like that from, i am sure you will get a lot of good advice on here, just dont get sucked in !!!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/10/2010 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Msg 18

Send him to Dunedin or Invercargill, South Island of NZ, or birch him!

Richard

aussiejock

Message Posted:
07/10/2010 06:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

have been to Dunedin lived in New Zealand for a year Bay of Plenty, Mount Maunganui, lovely place then down to Wellington, windiest City in the world, thats what made us hop over to Oz, Well we are Aussie due to the fact we have lived here for so long, and I grew up in Glasgow. I was in the Merchant Navy P&O lines so I used to do a lot of cruises around the Med. We toured all over Turkey and having only been back the past 6 months we found it was very expensive as to the first time we visited, have a look at Voices Newspaper that give's you uptodate news every Monday and a good read as well. when we were over the lira was nearly on par with the Aussie dollar thats why we found it expensive, it's now 1.40 lira to our dollar, we have been to Akyaka, Cesme & Yalikavak got the ferry from Cesme over to the greek Islands, all those places are great for a 2 week holiday but not to retire in, Turkey's economy is quite strong , I'll have the birch with mint sauce please

aussiemike

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Hey RObert

i am in Dubai we are looking to move to TRNC sometime early next year - operate my business out of there (i consultant to companies in the MIddle East)...

love australia - best place ever, and where you are is special as well, but definitely agree, the Med is such a more cosmopolitan place to live and so much more to do jumping over europe, nth africa and the middle east - cyprus is a perfect hub for this.

there are some great people on this forum, but sometimes it gets me down as there is also so many negative comments - makes one do some reconsidering about ones motives to move! - but i reckon, that it cant be all bad and there has to be some excellent aspects to life in cyprus.

dubai is like that too - so many bad things here to whinge about - but there is some good stuff too - its what one makes of it

lets catch up for a beer when we both land in trnc

cheers

Michael

aussiejock

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Mike we will not be over untill next year, still looking at area's around NC, will keep looking at this forum and get familiar with all the area's, there is a lot of help on this forum and within 6 months or so I should have an Idea and be more familiar with North Cyprus, I just love the Med way of life, I retire this January have pension from Australia and Britain, will sell our house that should give us around $700.000 lira, problem I have is keep it in an Australian bank which is guaranteed, or put it into a Turkish bank with nearly 10% interest, The Australian Government covers all bank accounts upto 1Mil, I know the amount of money we have is not a lot, sounds a lot but in reality it's not much, as we have to live off this for the rest of our lives, interest in Australia is around 6.5% but this can fluctuate but it gives me around 46,000lira a year, Turkish bank 70,000lira a big difference but reading the forum this should enough to live off in the NC drinks on me when I'm over

newscoop

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Glasgow one of the friendliest places in Scotland?

God i'd hate to visit the bad places!

Try the place on a Saturday night with an English accent.

Cannae wait for the replies on this ane.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

used to be a bad city but not now, in the older days yes, Glasgow turned out to be a great city, it's now overtaking London for retail, shame is it's lost the great engineers and workforce of the past the shipbuilding and engineering firms have all gone no Apprenticeships anymore, it's all retail now, and it is the friendliest city in the world, my wife is from New Zealand and she just adores the place loves the people and the country, got married in Matha Street in 1974 but moved away 1976 for a better life but the place is still in our blood

Robert

aussiejock

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

I think you are having a go to just stir us all up, we have always hated the English it's in our blood thats why the English and Scotts get on so well, we love Sassenachs we eat them for breakfast.

Robert

newscoop

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Hmm;

Moved away for a better life.

If Glasgae's so good why move away?

aussiejock

Message Posted:
13/10/2010 06:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

well you always think utopia is in another country, we were young and the world was our oyster, and the opportunities for a better life were calling, being a merchant navy guy I had been to Australia many times, and if the weather in Scotland was as good as Oz I never would have left Glasgow, you should go back and have a look, you will be very suprized.

Robert

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.