North Cyprus Tourist Board - Preparing to move to Nicosia, North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Preparing to move to Nicosia, North Cyprus

Preparing to move to Nicosia, North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about North Nicosia Cyprus

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

Nicky30

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Hi everyone, I'm moving to Nicosia from the UK at the end of this month and was wondering if anyone could help me to prepare. I want to ask some questions that might seem terribly naive, but I thought it would be quicker and easier to ask anyway.

Firstly, can anyone tell me the percentage of tax that, as someone on a working visa, will be taken off my salary in Cyprus?

Secondly, would it be possible for me to set up a bank account (Turkish, I presume, since it's North Cyprus) from here in the UK before I leave?

Thirdly, I don't drive and my new office will be based in Dr Fazil Kuçuk Boulevard, Nicosia (Lefkosia). I am hoping I can find a place to live within walking distance. Can anyone tell me if this is something that will be possible, or whether it's far better to live in central Nicosia?

Aside from rent, are there any further costs to bear in mind when renting properties? I'm looking for a studio flat - are they common there?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 08:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

So you are moving to TRNC at the end of the month without having done any previous research..........durrrrr!!!???

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Nicole, welcome to the forum!

Msg 2 Tenakoutou it is possible that this poster has only just been offered a job in Lefkosa and she is doing her research now! People have to be very brave to join this forum & post nowadays mainly because of unfriendly folk like yourself! shame on you, bullying a new member on their 1st post!

Nicole, I don't have answers for you as I don't work & don't rent my property but I'm sure if you type the key words (tax, banking etc.) into the search at thee top of this page you'll find lots of useful info! and most people i.e. the majority of forum members are a little more friendly than the one above!

Maggie

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Nicky30:

Sorry about my msg 2 - hope you accept my abject apologies!

Re. rent: I've never rented in TRNC, but understand that a bond is payable up front and that the lessee is liable for electricity and water bills.

Have you a rental contract in place already?

Have you a written contract of employement from your future employer?

Have they organised a work permit for you in advance of your arrival. I say that, because many have arrived in Cyprus 'on a promise', only to be bitterly disappointed on their arrival to be told there is no job.

Have you sourced a map of TRNC Lefkosa [Nicosia] - the 'DutchCrusader' might be able to help - see his website.

I arranged transfer of funds through Turk Bankasi, London Branch.

But hang on a minute - can't your intended employer offer the necessary advice you seek? One would think, if they are serious about employing you, that it would be in their interests to do so.

Welcome to the forum - hope I'm forgiven msg 2!

blade

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

You can set up a bank account with the turk bank in north london. Put Turkish banks in the UK into a search online that should give you details.

Tax wise your employer would be best to advise.

Accomodation there is a couple of estate agents in central Lefkosa that should be able to help. If not check out the Gonyeli area of Lefkosa because i know you will find rental there. Living in Lefkosa in the summer months can be very hot and will cost a bit for airconditioning, you may be better looking into areas outside Lefkosa and commuting into work. Check out the villages north of Lefkosa which are in the mountian areas which are cooler.

Pixie

Message Posted:
08/10/2010 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Dear Nicola,

I also live in Nicosia and would be glad to answer any of your questions. Ypu can catch itimat minibuses in and around Nicosia. There are many cheap one bedroom and two bedroom flats. If you buy the afrika newspaper or the halkin sesi newspaper they have free classified ads and that would help you save 12%of the yearly rent as estate agent commision, as most of the agents find their rental properties in these papers.

feel free to email me if you have any more questions... bluestriver@hotmail.com

Nicky30

Message Posted:
09/10/2010 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

I was offered a job very suddenly. What can I say?

Nicky30

Message Posted:
09/10/2010 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you all for your responses. They're very helpful and I'll take all your advice and get some proper research and action started.

Tenakoutou, no worries! And apologies also for my curt response just now. I didn't read further down and see your apology and advice. Story of my life, it seems - leap first, look later! But yes, this is all very sudden for me and I didn't want to sound thick to my new employer by asking too many questions about stuff I knew I could find out myself. But you are right, I really should be asking my new company these questions, of course. I knew my questions would sound massively naive though, so please don't worry - no offence taken! And thanks for taking the time to answer them afterwards. Much appreciated.

Pixie, that's lovely of you, thank you for the tips on the newspapers, and I will be in contact by email shortly when I've got a few more things sorted out. Maggie and Blade - that's fantastic. Thank you b

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
09/10/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Nicky, and welcome

Finding Rental accomodation on the Island is an easy enough task. Untill you find transprt living in Nicos. would be your best option,. Once you get more familiar with the place and have transp I'd reccomend moving to Kyrenia and commuting. Just make sure your landlord is paying rental tax on the property.

As for banks, just make sure its a Turkish bank....better safe then sorry.

Wiser

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 07:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Social security out of your wages is normally around 420tl pcm. Good luck with everything.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Nicky30:

I sincerely do reiterate my apologies and, really, the last thing I want to do is be seen as a 'kill-joy'!

However, due to past, bitter experience, one has to be very cautious about job offers from *Cypriots [North or South] - too many, not necessarily naive, but unsuspecting people have been let down. Also, *they have earned an unenviable and nasty reputation for not paying salaries as initially agreed. I am sorry to have to advise this, but noting your age and single status, be very wary your future employer does not have a 'hidden agenda', which, if you dispense with the euphemism, means an ulterior motive.

'Forewarned is forearmed!'

I still think that if they consider that you are going to be an asset to them, they should realise your situation and should have already volunteered most, if not all, the information you seek, as, surely, it is in their own interest to do so.

Nicky30

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Goonerboy and Wiser - thanks so much for the info. Tenakoutou - honestly, no worries at all! And I very much appreciate your concern. I made myself sound very thick and naive on here, and I wish I hadn't posted that first message. The more research I do the more it's becoming clear that I can find out/do all this stuff when I get there. I'm certain everything about my new employer is above board, and yes, they have provided me with the information I need and have made arrangements to ensure my first couple of weeks are comfortable. The questions I asked on my initial post were just about me panicking. However, I made myself look a bit silly! Nevermind! But Tenakoutou, I totally take on board what you are saying and sincerely appreciate your concern. It's been great to contact people who already live out there, though, and I'm looking forward to moving to North Cyprus and making new friends. Thanks, everyone!

Swany

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Nicky

Well done on the job...

There is only one employer that I know of in that area that this recruiting foreign nationals and if I my suspicions are right walking distance will not be very easy. Dr Fazil Kuçuk Boulevard is basically the outer ring road (a long old busy duel carriage way). If you want more info you can email me james@astutefma.com

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.