North Cyprus Tourist Board - Doberman Pinscher Dogs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Doberman Pinscher Dogs

Doberman Pinscher Dogs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

birdman

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

I have two Doberman Pinscher puppies, ( 9 months old ). I am looking for a Doberman Pinscher( Pure Bred) owner with a Dog to sire my bitch, in about, November when she will be due on heat. (I am trying to avoid my Dog from mating with her as it is his sister!) My Dog is a large, handsome dog who would love to be a daddy to a nice bitch!! ( He thinks his sister is a "nice" bitch!!) Please contact 0533 842 90 73 ( Gerry), to bring on the happy event!!!

Lilli

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

oi only know one other owner here but not sure if the dog is capable or if they would let it. I brought my staffi here and for 2 years we got calls, people coming around to see if i would sire him. Even to none staffis. But he is such a handsome boy x

shaun463

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 07:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Hi

having been a breeder of Dobermanns for almost 30 years please consider waiting to mate your as you call them 'puppies' which is correct as they are consider puppies until they are over 12 months old.

Dobermanns should not be mated until at least their third season which should be 18 months plus and most are not mated until they are 2 years old. At this age they are to immature in body and mind to be mated.

I am always interested in Dobermanns where did you get them from and what are there bloodlines please.

blade

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Well said Shaun.

Only last weekend we had visitors looking for advice, who were talking about breeding there year old female. Spent a good few hours on the reasons why not to. Breeding should be left to those who are experienced with their breed who have an understand of bloodlines ect. Today we see far to many pedigree dogs with health issues due to people breeeding without the correct knowledge.

Unless you are wanting a puppy yourself, i think you should avoid breeding here full stop.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Another reason to think about breeding (I have a Dobermann also: Dutch father, German mother): if you get xx puppies, did you find xx good (GOOD) new owners already..?

louthlass

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Before you think of breeding, have you got really good homes for the puppies, and have you vetted the prospective owners? I agree with messages 3 and 4, a bitch is not adult enough until she is 18 months. I was a breeder of English Bullterriers many years ago in the UK.

birdman

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 09:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

I got them when they were three days old as their mother died. She had nine puppies and after she died, they found another six unborne puppies inside her. (Must have had a double mating. My pups mother was from TRNC and their Father, who lived with thier mother was from the South originally. The owner lives in Lapta and I had asked her for a pup years ago when I first knew she kept dobermans. She was unable to look after the nine pups so contacted me to help out. Naturally I wasupset at the situation but delighted to help out. The pups naturally were blind and helpless awhen I got them in January this year and needed two houly feeds throughout day and nigt and constant hot water bottles to keep them warm. One bitch died after one day but I took another and they are both great lovely bounding lumps of health today! Their tails,ears and dew claws have been done although the anti-biotics for the op was a bad batch and caused lots of problems which are now resolved. I love 'emto bits!!!

birdman

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

I have had so many offers to take a puppy that I could fill a book with them. I agree that breeding my bitch should be left till later, probably 18 months. Naturally any prospective owner of any of the pups from my bitch would be well vetted. They have the run of my garden which is 1 1/2 dunoms but I have had to seperate them unless I am there to supervise his behavior towards her which is amerous!. Leaving breeding to "experts" is fanciful! A Good owner would take all necessary steps to ensure that breeding was done correctly, and that does not mean only letting an " expert" supervise the act.

shaun463

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Hi

first Birdman raising pups away from the mother at that age is HARD we have done it, so well done.

saying you have people who want them and you could fill a book does not mean they are good owners and does that mean they will look after them as good and well as you and YES if handled correctly will make an excellent family pet, BUT if the owners dont know how to look after a DOBERMANN then there can be problems for the owners and others and that is the hardest part of finding correct owners.

we had two Dobermanns from WORLD champion fathers and muliti champion mothers and people queueing up to buy them here and the South and pay high money but we was NOT interested in that and she is over five now and i still dont think we will breed her.

I was not suggesting you dont breed that is not my right you have to decide and if you have the right owners and if you do then good luck

BUT was saying at that age they are much to young

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Gerry,

You need to contact Iceman - aka Mustafa. In addition to his other talents he's a dobermann aficionado and has championship dogs here in Girne. Too, he shares your concerns about prospective owners.

puppylover

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 11:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Gerry

I remember seeing your dog's when you took them to the vets for their injections.

Saw you out walking them in the week and I thought "Wow, are they the same two puppies?"

Well done for all your efforts, they have grown into two well looked after dog's.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

If you're looking for Iceman, you'll find him on this map http://www.cyprusdownload.nl/cypmap/map_of_girne/map_of_girne.html @ square S5-4. Say hello to him from me, please!

iceman

Message Posted:
10/10/2010 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you for including me in your map Hans..

I agree with every bit of advice Shaun has given regarding this puppy issue and would also like to add a few notes myself.

Dobermann is an indoor breed..they do not do well outside.

Dobermann needs to be in close contact with their owner..that's why they are nicknamed "velcro dog"

Dobermann NEEDs at least 2 hours a day exercise they are a very high maintenance breed.(doesn't matter how many donums land one has..it doesn't count..they NEED to go out of their home for exercises)

Dobermann needs constant mental stimulation..if they are neglected, they become very destructive.

People see me walking my dobermanns and automatically assume if they get a puppy their puppy will grow to be like my "finished" dogs..they do NOT know or believe how much time goes into them.

As a dobermann owner for the past 15 years,unfortunately i do NOT see anyone with the capacity to own a dobermann in north Cyprus,so i would not consider breeding my dog/s.

birdman

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you all for your advice.My two dogs live outside in a kennel.They play with each other in the garden jumping and play fighting.They are taken out for runs of up to 3/4 hours daily.(They come back to me instantly when called or whistled)In the evenings they come into my lounge and sit with me, giving me lots of love and affection as they snuggle into me expecting the same, and receieving the same back.After their last meal they then go back to their kennel in which they are very happy.I am booked onto a dog training course starting on 25 October to teach ME how to train my dogs properly although already they sit without command, before eating their meals and will not touch the meals until I tell them "OK". They sit on command and lie down on command. Remembering that they are still only 9 months old, I think they are doing pretty well but as a responsible owner I realise that I must be trained also. I have books and videos on Doberman training.My vet a previous owner gives advice

birdman

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Iceman, Thank you for your advice but I think you are a little bit opinionated in stating that YOU do not see anyone in North Cyprus with the capacity to own a doberman except yourself ! Are YOU that unique? I'm sure that Shaun463 would beg to differ!

After 22 years in the military, in Special Forces, I think I know how to train and be trained. I put off having dogs before I retired as I did not have the time, or was not in a position, to look after them properly. Now that I am retired and living alone, I have all the time and inclination in the world, to train and bring up my dogs as obedient, loving, companions, irrespective of whether you think no-one but yourself is capable of doing so!

iceman

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 07:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Good luck birdman.........Hope you prove me wrong one day..

If ever you need help or advice, feel free to come see me.

I still hope you change your mind about breeding your bitch tho.

blade

Message Posted:
11/10/2010 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

I have to agree with Iceman. I know of two people here who have doberman dogs, both from top pedigree's.

Neither of them spend the time they need to on their dogs.

Birdman, as a ex breeder i would be interested in what happened to your pups mother and why?

This wouldn't give me confidence in using any offspring for breeding, i would be looking for dogs which have family members living a long life span.

birdman

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 01:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

I beliieve she was impregnated on two seperate occasions by the same dog without the owners knowledge.( She didn't even realise she was on heat!). According to my vet this can happen although rarely. She gave birth to the first litter (9 puppies) but not to the second litter (6 puppies) and I believe she died of septicemia. She was three years old and this was her first litter. She had been perfectly healthy until after the birth of the first litter.

Please read post no.15. I have all the time in the world to spend with my dogs, and I do spend a lot of time with them. Not all dog owners are the same. There are some very good and dedicated owners in TRNC and they are not all Brits. After I have been trained in how to train them I hope to make an even better job than I am doing at present, but my dogs don't seem to nitice that they are being trained already!!

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 01:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Quote message 7 - ' I have had their ears, tails and dew claws done'. You mean you have had their ears clipped/docked. You mean you have had their tails docked. You mean you have had their dew claws removed. I kept much loved English Bull Terriers and German Shepherds as pets for many years in England, but because of the dangers from poisoning, stupidity, local attitudes to dogs etc, I don't keep dogs here. Never felt the need to mutilate my pets in England. Why have you had these mutilations inflicted on your 'pets'. To make them look like proper 'Kennel Club' candidates, I suspect. The dew claws is a possible excuse, but only if the animals are regularly exposed to danger from dew claw injury. Errrrrr - this is Cyprus, so that one's a no no.

Look forward to hearing why deliberately mutilating perfectly healthy animals is acceptable. (And don't start with old 'its hurts them if they wag their tails' routine. Or 'wag their ears')

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.