North Cyprus Tourist Board - Please don't eat me alive if this is a silly 'chimney' question TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Please don't eat me alive if this is a silly 'chimney' question TRNC

Please don't eat me alive if this is a silly 'chimney' question TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

journey1

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all,

I have a traditional ( albeit quaint) chimney for my open fireplace, but the problem is that in the heavy rain we experience here it pours and i mean pours down into the fire - whether it is lit or not. Any solutions? Comical answers are fine but please do also give some real advice- cause i need help:o))-

cheers

madethemove

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Place a slab over the top of the chimney opening supported on 4 small piers approx 250mm high, this is normal in England.

waddo

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

If you can get at your chimney then the best thing you can possibly fit is one of those nice colourful whirly round things! Fitted one to our smaller chimney last year and it made a world of difference to heat inside the house as well as having a better fire. Also for the first time ever the smoke went away instead of hanging around.

Our big chimney has a big slab on it on the standard four pillars but if we were not moving this year I would fit a big whirly thing to that one as well!

journey1

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

thanks guys - any idea who locally ( Alsancak) can do this for me?

I thought I had some experience of open fireplaces having been brought up in a traditional house with fireplaces in the reception rooms and all of the bedrooms. However my mother ( God Bless her) insisted that we would not have central heating put in as 'it was bad for your health' - and my sister and I accepted that as the 'spoken word' given her medical background. BUT i always woke up as a youngster to my lemonade bottle being frozen solid and often have thought back on how folks managed with their false teeth beside them ! LOL :o))

booitsme

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Yes, go with the whirly. We had problems with smoke coming inside the house rfom our fire if it was very windy or if the wind was in a certain direction, once we had the whirly fitted we've never had a problem. It may be worthwhile buying the whirly for yourself then asking someone to fit it as a friend was quoted a stupid amount just for the whirly. Also go for the big size as the smaller one really doesn't help!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

This problem (msg 1) was already solved in 1572 (a year after the Turkish conquest of Cyprus), when the Ottoman Turks built the Büyük Han (or: Khan, or: Great Inn) on Lusignan foundations in Nicosia. It's one of the very few places in Cyprus where you can find orginal (although now renovated) chimneys. They were built to accommodate the foreign merchants, staying at the "5 star Büyük Han"{ (for the time), from places in Europe and the Levant who found the Cyprus winters 'a little bit chilly'.

http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/DSCN2706_72.jpg

decanddyl

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Just in case you are interested those big fancy coloured whirly thingymagigs are called grannies or at least thats what they were called in Scotland.

journey1

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

DutchCrusader - you are not really very definiitative in your answers - really I am very interested in the past lessons that have been learned but now in 2010 dealing with a Banana Republic I am looking for real guidance.

Anllamak?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 21:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 8, journey1: I'm afraid I cannot quite follow you... What IS your question?

janjin

Message Posted:
12/10/2010 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

The swirly thing is called a Cowl, I think that's how it's spelt.

The DIY shops near Esentepe / Bahceli have them to fit yourself - if it's any help?

We have had a quote from Mr. Pipe, Esentepe.

A couple of our friends have had them fitted and believe it was worth it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.