North Cyprus Tourist Board - Info needed about care of kitten
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Info needed about care of kitten

Info needed about care of kitten

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Lauvaine

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

We have just been adopted by a 10 week old kitten. She has been to the vets and had injections and been de-loused. Since coming back from vet she hasn't drunk anything so this morning we tried her with some milk. She has now drunk a little but have a feeling cows milk is not good for cats. Could anyone advise please. Thanks.

vonny

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

My cat had 3 kittens,the first was on my lap.sadly she was run over & killed when the kittens were 4 weeks old. i put warm cows milk weakened with water in a saucer,at first it was up their noses and in their eyes but it didnt take them too long to learn.also for food i used the kitten dried food soaked into the warm milk which they loved. all survived .we have only 1 of the cats now ,still enjoys his cows milk and hes very healthy.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Try babies milk from Chemists starting with a weak mixture and increasing strength as the kitten gets used to it. If necessary use bottle and babies teat increasing the size of the hole as kitten grows in strength. Feed little and often. Keep a watch to see regular stools so that strength of mixture kept at right level. If not using toilet stimulate kitten by wiping bottom with warm water using cotton buds. If constipated use a tiny amount of chemist's remedy as for a child introduced into the milk. Slowly introduce more solid foods if kitten makes progress Worked for us with a newly born kitten which survived 19 years in spite of our vet's assertion that without a surrogate mother it would not survive. Best of luck

ozankoys

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Hi a 10 week old kitten does not need milk let alone bottle feeding! It should eat normal cat food or if you have some chicken/fish scraps cut them up very small. Most cats do not drink very much at all, they obtain all the liquid they need from food but you should always have a bowl of water available for them to drink especially important if you are also feeding dry food.

If your kitten is not eating then it must be ill & should be taken to the vet.

Tatum1

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Hi

It is correct that a 10 week old kitten should be eating at least 4 times a day and drinking WATER.

If this is not happening take her to the vet.

Pertev is marvelous for treatment and any help and advise.

PLEASE DONT DELAY ..... AS SHE IS VERY YOUNG

Ailletoo

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

A 10 week old kitten should be weaned and eating normal cat food. Milk for cats is a myth. The kitten should have plenty of water available at all times. If he/she is not eating or drinking enough this could be serious, especially not having enough water. I agree with Tatum1, Pertev is a very caring, experienced vet and I would not hesitate to reccommend him.

his phone number is:

or 8153430.

Lauvaine

Message Posted:
19/10/2010 16:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Thank you to all of you. Since writing this post kitten has eaten a few biscuits, some tuna and had a drink. She has also been playing with her ball. Still no toilet but she did have a very big wee all over the car seat yesterday! Thank you for recommending Pertev. He is our three dogs vet and the vet that we took the kitten to yesterday. Have lots of experience with dogs but neither my husband or I had ever had a cat before. Once again, Thanks to all of you for your help.

shel56

Message Posted:
20/10/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Don't give kittens milk if you want to give them milk it must be lactose free and you can buy that in the shops here. Whiskas do their own cat milk not sure if youcan get it on this side but they sell it in the south.

Ferdez at Petcross is great for cats (I got mine from her) they are behind the new Starling on the Bellapais Road.

A kitten of 10 weeks should be eating at least 4 meals a day (small one's) and have water to drink on hand all the time. Sounds more like he is either missing his mum or is he frightened of dogs or is he just taking his time settling in? If you are concerned take him back to the vet they will be able to tell you straight away if he is well or not.

Lauvaine

Message Posted:
20/10/2010 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks Shel 56. She is definately frightened of our dogs but is safe and sound in the lounge with the door locked. We will be introducing her one at a time very, very slowly. She is now eating and drinking water and I have removed the milk. I think she is doing well.

mozgor

Message Posted:
21/10/2010 00:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Milk is a 'food' so you are much better giving kittens, cats and dogs water to drink. Milk can give them the runs. By the time they're 10 weeks they should be off milk and eating solids, but I would give them wet solids rather than dry. If you have dry food you could add some hot water to liquify it and then slowly add less and less water over the weeks until you offer it dry. That way you don't have to worry about keeping 'wet' food from going off in the heat. I've had several cats and they have all live long and healthy lives so hopefully yours will too - best of luck x

mozgor

Message Posted:
21/10/2010 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Oh and please never ever give an animal cooked chicken or any other cooked bones please. They can splinter and end up tearing the animals gut!!! Raw if fine, but not cooked.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.