North Cyprus Tourist Board - Starling Supermarket-alsancak -tried to rip us off!!!!!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Starling Supermarket-alsancak -tried to rip us off!!!!!!

Starling Supermarket-alsancak -tried to rip us off!!!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Treesy

Message Posted:
23/08/2008 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

My father (visiting TRNC for the first time) tried to pay for some goods in sterling in Starling supermarket this week.

They came to 66YTL.

The cashier asked for £40.

I queried this and could see clearly on the till screen that this equalled 85YTL.

The cashier seemed not to understand my reasons for querying the price and called the manageress over - she then worked out the amount in sterling by entering various amounts in sterling until one was close to 66YTL and then rounded it.

Needless to say I will not be going there again.

Pipie

Message Posted:
23/08/2008 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Glad you have brought this to the forum , as this happens quite a lot with some of our friends over there they appear to be shortchanged , and have to challenge quite regular.

I also read on another forum that someone paid money in credit for there electricity at the office in Girne , they did not check the receipt and the amount they paid did not tally with receipt given .Seems we all need to be extra carefull on checking all of our receipts , change etc .

Discovery

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

This happens all over the world you have to be aware that a great percentage of people if the opportunity is there will take advantage . Last year my mother went to southern water to pay her water bill as she is in her mid eighties the manager kindly offered to fill in the cheque for her she just had to sign the cheque which she did three months later after another cheque was sent for the bill i looked into it the manager had put his own name down he admitted when questioned by southern water security that he had taken other elderly peoples money the same way . Southern Water declined to contact the Police . TRNC is way behind the cons going on in the UK but we all have to be aware .

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Really no different wherever you shop, check the receipt and if wrong question.

Shame about Starling as the are one of those that we frequent and never have a problem, in fact they are usually so honest they give you things you have forgotten when the are special offers.

I would suggest to all when shopping that it is best to exchange at Bureaux de Change in Girne before shopping, that way you will get the best deals. Shops and restaurants will offer to exchange but they have to make a living too.

girne 29

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 01:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Treesy

My wife who always gets confused with exchange rates ,carries a card in purse.

1ytl = £?

£1 = ?ytl

and always checks on screen when paying in sterling and doing very rough calculation,also good as she still converts to sterling for price guidance.

In all fairness I could see a checkout girl making an error, but seems rather a peculiar way for a store manageress to work out the amount in sterling.

Would have thought it would be easy to divide by 2.4 or whatever with a calculator.

And I didnt even go to uni.

kimig1

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 07:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Why pay in sterling anyway? Do you suppose you could go into Tesco's in UK and pay with YTL? Even if you are only on holiday, surely you should be paying in LOCAL currency?

ishmail

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 07:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

kimig1 grate post you tell the moaners

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Discovery: "Last year my mother went to southern water to pay her water bill as she is in her mid eighties the manager kindly offered to fill in the cheque for her she just had to sign the cheque which she did three months later after another cheque was sent for the bill i looked into it the manager had put his own name down he admitted when questioned by southern water security that he had taken other elderly peoples money the same way . Southern Water declined to contact the Police."

Did the Southern Water say why they declined to contact the police? And did you report this clear and admitted fraud?

mitsi

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Very disappointed with Lemar's at Karolanolou. Would not exchange or refund on faulty goods because I did not have original packaging!!! Advise all not to purchase goods as there are no customer services and manager would not come to speak with me but sent non-english speaking sales person to deal with the problem.

Treesy

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Girne 29 - yes was strange way - all other supermarkets where I have had to pay in sterling they have used a calculator and given change in lira.

Kimiq 1 and ismail of course when in Turkey I always pay with Lira and would not attempt to use anything else - but here where you can find goods priced in Lira, Dollars, Euros and Sterling and where your rent is demanded in sterling and where you can be paid in sterling without being given the choice - I don't see why it is a problem - after all most supermarkets make a little extra every time as they change at a lower rate.

I don't consider letting people know about a company who offers the service of paying in sterling but who are unable to manage the simple calculation 'moaning'.

girne 29

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Teesy reckons an attempt was made to rip her father off and is passing on what happened.As usual ,it then becomes his fault for not using ytl, no doubt the supermarket is blameless.Further more, by warning others she becomes a whinger.!

I suppose its also her fathers fault for not disguising the fact that he is british

It is totally irrevalent what currency was used,

And by the way , all tourist guides say Sterling is acceptable as a currency in TRNC. If I ,or a tourist chooses to use sterling then its thats my right, I hardly lthink it is a reason to excuse being ripped off,otherwise the Tourist brochures should be changed to reflect that fact.

Of course it happens all over, but maybe one can complain about it without being called a whinger.

Why not mention the the supermarkets part in this, instead of somehow putting Teesy or father at fault.

brandy sour

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

To sum it all up best advice is pay in local currency where ever you pay for , supermarkets,restaurant's you pay what it says on the receipt then there is no calculation needed.

rtddci

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

yes and take your father outside and give him a jolly good thrashing for having the temerity to use sterling and thus giving the (totally blameless) supermarket the opportunity of cheating him. Gosh next thing he'll be expecting to get the correct change.....

Treesy

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

girne 29 - thankyou

brandysour - i do agree with you - i do always try to pay in lira. I get paid in sterling and use this for the rent and anything else we must pay for in pounds- whereas my husband gets paid in lira which we use for day to day living costs.

My dad was insisting on paying for the shopping this time and did not have enough lira as we got more than expected - i did actually pay this bill in lira as i didn't trust the second amount given.

girne 29

Message Posted:
24/08/2008 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

No ,Teesy

thank you, for informing us. You dont need to apoligize for using Sterling.Its a ridiculous reason to give for being ripped off.Matter of fact ,why do some try so hard to find ANY excuse for such practices.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
25/08/2008 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

RE Mitsi : (...) Very disappointed with Lemar's at Karolanolou -- but sent non-english speaking sales person to deal with the problem. (...)

Non-english speaking sales person probably thinks you notta speaking Turkish?

The famous village you're talking about is called Karaoğlanoğlu (1974, check what happened there, in the country that's hosting you).

frontalman

Message Posted:
25/08/2008 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

I use Starlings a lot, lots of goods are cheaper there than elsewhere, service is superior to most, always being given presents for spending money there, not had a bad experience yet, staff always friendly and courteous. (Always pay in YTL).

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.