North Cyprus Tourist Board - [ DO IT! ] More places to visit than you think..!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [ DO IT! ] More places to visit than you think..!

[ DO IT! ] More places to visit than you think..!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

"The monastery of Melandryna has preserved a medieval church standing by itself in the middle of a courtyard surrounded by buildings. It has a nave roofed with a pointed barrel vault, a small arcaded belfry whose pointed opening is crowned by a pediment and on the interior walls some remains of paintings in the Italian Gothic style."

Yes, but that was true in 1896... The truth today is saddening and quite different...

The full illustrated story (text, detailed pictures and location maps) here: http://is.gd/gctxf

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Some fourty years ago "History-and-Castlemania" grabbed me when I first saw and set foot in the Belgian Castle of Bouillon (left), where the famous Duke Godfrey of Bouillon started his Crusade in 1096. Luckily the national Dutch paper I used to work for as a journalist, "Het Parool" in Amsterdam, made me travel all over the world hence I had the chance to visit medieval castles everywhere, though of course mainly in Europe and the Levant. Later, after an enthousiastic start with a website called "All About All Crusades", I had to admit that a lifetime is far too short to study all the Crusades in depth... - time made me decide to make the medieval history of Cyprus my specialty.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I have always intended to share with you, interested reader, my visits to historic places often hidden deep in valleys in the forests or high in the mountains. Because there's still so much more to find and see in Northern Cyprus than St Hilarion Castle!

If you have any questions about medieval Cyprus I'll be pleased (to try) to answer them here or in a private email. Ask your questions via this email address please: mcf.trnc@gmail.com . Website [ http:www.allcrusades.com ]. Hans Doeleman, journalist/cartographer.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Website [ http:www.allcrusades.com ] should read Website [ http://www.allcrusades.com ].

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Site updated: ruined houses of unidentified village near Panaya Melandryna Monastery: http://is.gd/gctxf

Rottolover

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Hey Hans,

I appreciate your interest, and particularly your urge to share it. There's nothing quite like some ancient history to make a place more interesting, as well as encouraging its residents and visitors to become more culturally aware.

Is there any chance you would be contemplating a small (preferably illustrated) guide book detailing all these historic attractions? I'd certainly buy one.

Glasbury

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

I think that's a really good idea and would welcome such a guide. Love visiting sites like this when over.

gooligan

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Another bit of local info,if you turn left at the row of houses instead of right to the monastery this track takes you to Esentepe marina,you would not believe how many expats don't know where it is.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

RE msg 6, Rottolover: (...) Is there any chance you would be contemplating a small (preferably illustrated) guide book detailing all these historic attractions? I'd certainly buy one. (...)

=> Contemplating? Yes. But I'm also a realist - I'm already glad when a thread like this attracts about 100 views (from 10.000 members!)... All info is on my website and is free to print; it's just not feasable to have it all in real print also. It would be very expensive to print circa 100-200 copies! You don't think I'd sell more than 200 copies, do you?

Marisa

Message Posted:
27/10/2010 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thank you Hans for your useful web-site and for your knowledge.

All my Russain friends know about you and Allcrusades.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.