North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus 2 people a day diagnosed with Breast or Prostate Cancer!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus 2 people a day diagnosed with Breast or Prostate Cancer!

North Cyprus 2 people a day diagnosed with Breast or Prostate Cancer!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

nurseawful

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 08:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Shocking figures in today's 'Cyprus Today'

There are still places available for the cut price health checks at Medikent Hospital don't delay please take advantage of this as it could save your life.

Phone 0533 884 5621 or e-mail trnchealthcare@gmail.com

Chris

numpty

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Hi is this for both men and women

crofter

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

I believe that the current health check up is for men only.

swyflot

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Men can have their PSA levels checked in a simple blood test to check for prostate cancer

Panchocat

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

numpty, speak to Chris and she can arrange this for women too. It is an excellent package of tests.

Another lady and I went a couple of weeks ago. I for one am so glad that I did.

Chris does an excellent job and works extremely hard arranging these checks.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I'd like to emphasise the importance of men over 50 getting their PSA levels checked.

A friend of mine went for a routine medical check up and found that his PSA level was very high. After further tests he was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

Fortunately he had the prostate removed and the cancer had not spread.

He had none of the usual symptoms associated with a Prostate problem, which is why it's called a silent killer.

booitsme

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

I agree with No1 my husband's prostate cancer was found by chance when he took part in a medical trial. At that point he was showing no symptoms. He was only 56 at the time - so many people think it's an "older persons" illness. It is easily treated but as with any cancer time is the important thing, the sooner it is caught and treated the better. If you can't make it to the mens health sessions and you are over 50 ask your doctor to write an order for a PSA blood test, this should only cost around 7.5TL, take this to Lefkosa state hospital at the polyclinic and they will do the test there. You may have to go back the following day for the results but it only costs around 20TL for the blood test. In most cases older men die WITH prostate cancer NOT because of prostate cancer.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

slightly off topic, I had testicular cancer about 13 years ago. I had no real signs of it, just a bit of 'ball ache' from time to time so I kept putting off going to the doctor. That went on for months until I told my dad one day and he took me to the doctors, I was sent straight down to the hospitals emergency surgery ward and had it lopped off. Unfortunately it had spread through my lymph nodes so I had to undergo very vigorous chemotherapy for 3 months.

Hence, I suggest taking these checks. Even though it's for a different type of cancer it best to be safe than sorry.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
30/10/2010 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I would say that it's very sound advice for all (men and women) to attend for these 'routine' tests. Please don't ever think "I'm to young" or "I have no symptoms". It is not for nothing that some cancers are known as 'the silent killers'.

I had laser treatment (successfully, thank God) for pre-cancerous cells of the cervix, picked up at a routine smear test examination many years ago.

As Chris has illustrated, they can save many lives.

Mike - exactly; better to be safe than sorry.

natalie

Message Posted:
31/10/2010 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

This same article quoted 170ytl for various 'ladies' tests/examinations. Does anyone know if this offer is open to all ie. ex pats? If so, does anyone have a contact number please? Thanks

nurseawful

Message Posted:
01/11/2010 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

natalie,

No one seems to know anything at the moment on how to book this at the new hospital but I am trying to find out, and then I will post on here.

Healthscreening is still available at Medkent Hospital at the moment for all who are interested. It could save your life!

Chris

natalie

Message Posted:
01/11/2010 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Thank you Chris for your reply. Would be grateful for any info you manage to get. Just seemed like a good deal. Health wise am more or less up to date except for this 'side' of things!

elko2

Message Posted:
01/11/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

My wife called the hospital the other day and she was told to be a member of the Society that helps those with cancer and their families. It is an extremely well run organization. I will let you know more when I have the details. The campaign has been extended to end of November this year.

Prostate cancer: A low reading of PSA (under 4) is not the whole story. You must be examined regularly by a urologist who may look at other tests and ultrasonics and possibly a physical examination with his fingers through the anus. Not very pleasent but has to be done.

ismet

nurseawful

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I have just read another post where Steve from Rumours has just died. I never knew the man but he seemed to be popular and I am sure that he went before his time. My condolences to his family.

Please think on as there are TOO many premature deaths on this island whether by cancers or heart problems.

Book a full health test today, doesn't matter where you go as long as you do it!

Elko2 The tests for woman are not pleasant either but it can save you life.

Chris

Hector

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Although being 'only 56' as booitsmes' husband, a friend of mine had prostate cancer which shook me and I thought best I get one of these psa thingy blood tests. My GP, bless her, wasn't too keen "they can give false readings" etc but I put on my hang dog expression and said the clincher 'the wife says I must have one'. A few days later the same GP is ringing me to ask me to come in asap. To cut a long story short, I had a biopsy and was found to have aggressive prostate cancer which was then treated with radiotherapy and brachytherapy. I therefore can't stress enough the advice above for men to get the checks done. Get it found early whilst still contained and before it spreads to the rest of the body. All success to nurseawful and her campaign.

japeal

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Elko,

any idea on costs for prostrate tests, just got ripped off by Medikent in my opinion, £600 for test.

JOhn

elko2

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 01:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Japeal,

I can never remember exactly how much I pay. Normally I go to my GP privately and he writes me a full set of tests including PSA, ultrasdonics, x-ray etc. at the hospital all free of charge as a fully paid up Social Insurance member. I think the private visit is 50 TL. After the tests, I went to see my urologist privately and he wanted another detailed PSA test, free and total PSA. I think I paid 70 TL for this. Total PSA from private laboratory was much much higher but the ratio of free to total PSA was over 35% which is apparently very good. Then he prescribed me antibiotics for four weeks and then I will have the PSA again and then decide what next. I had biopsy twice a few years ago and that was negative. So I feel relaxed at the moment but you never know.

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.