North Cyprus Tourist Board - Hunting with dogs in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Hunting with dogs in North Cyprus

Hunting with dogs in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

delikomsu

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Yes the hunting season is with us again, o joy. Already a litter of six pointer pups age 4weeks dumped by our gate. If these 'hunters' don't want these dogs then why do they breed them? I cannot understand this mentality.

We have four beautiful adult hunting dogs here who need a home ( not with a hunter) please come and meet them and have a drink with us. K9 Kennels

Sundance

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Im not retired yet, but when I am i will be marking time at your front door with a donation in one hand and a lead in the other, once took on a rescue Jack Russel she was about 18 months old,it took me over a year to win her trust,but what a little dog she turned out to be, she died last year,17 years old.she was such a loving dog,

Sundance

blade

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Just because people take their dogs hunting it doesn't make all of them bad owners.

delikomsu

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Valid point Blade, however if the dogs in Cyprus who are kept chained up for 350 days a year and fed bread and water, then asked to go hunt game when nobody has taught them how to and after they fail get thrown out of a car or shot by a bbq had a voice then they would probably argue your point over a beefsteak.

negativenick

Message Posted:
02/11/2010 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

its a vile pass time/////

if i had my way, the hunters would be horse whipped.................

DeaconB

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

The good thing about the hunting season is that these clowns are such poor weapon handlers that they invariably wing themselves or the fellow hunters and that’s OK with me. Sadly though, all too often they hit the dog by poor shooting or design. Animal cruelty appears to be endemic throughout the whole of Cyprus, what they don’t shoot they poison or starve to death. Then there is the interference with goats, it doesn’t bear thinking about.

delikomsu

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Well second hunting day in N Cyprus yesterday and another 5 hunting dogs abandoned on the new road between Kaplica/Buyukkonuk. The question is do we all go tut tut and ignore it yet again or try to stimulate this Government into some action to control this.

For information you may find it interesting that this week both our Belediye and the Vet dept when confronted with these issues did the Cyprus Shrug and denied any responsibility. Our response was to refuse to pay the registration fees for all the stray dogs in our care until something was done.

We are awaiting a visit from the police, as was threatened.

Watch this space, I may be deported!

hilda

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Sundance,we have a cocker spanial 17 years old,so know how you feel about the death of yours,do not know if i am being cruel or kind by keeping him alive,he is now deaf ,blind and does have problems standing,goes to toilet in the house,but you would not think it is the same dog first thing in the morning,he gets this burst of energy,tail wagging,running in circles,just like old times.

Sundance

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Hello hilda we where lucky in some respect with Tina, that other than slowing up and going a bit deaf and needing more rest than norm she was fine, the moring she passed away she was fine when the wife went to work, but when my daugher got up who works shafts she was died on the kitchen floor, She is still looking over the family and keeping an eye on the place from the bottom of the garden, (may she RIP) she was a rescue dog and i beleive we give her a good life and she passed away a happy dog

Sundance

martinD41

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

It would be bad enough if they had something to hunt ie; specially bred pheasant or the like.As it is they all get dressed up like something resembling the S.A.S.or Commando's to stalk rabbits,pigeons ...Mindless!!! If you go up into the Mountains you will notice most road signs have become the only thing to shoot at.......

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

They are the same in Bavaria. Then they come home and drink beer, because they are real men!

Like a load of ruddy kids!

hilda

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Sundance,what a shock for your daughter,i can believe she had a happy life with your family and yourself,we intend to bury our dog in the garden when the time does come,i hope (if you do get another ) that the next dog gives you as much pleasure as your last,i wish you well.

Regards

Hilda

geronimo

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

kaiserphil at least they come home and drink beer in Bavaria, here they drink the harder stuff whilst they are hunting. It's in the blood so I keep being told!!

Lilli

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

delik msg 1, i feel so sorry for you having these dumped on you. I am dreading anymore being dumped on me. Its been hard enough finding homes for all the abondened ones left on my door step when expats go back.Sundance if you are looking when you come over I have a beautiful little firl caleed Tess about 8 or 9 months old. She really does need a good home. As they all do. Im so sorry for your loss of your dog. You gave her a good life. So if and when you need another quick march round to me a nd see the lovely Tess x

Visitor

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Delikomsu, I agree with you abt treatment of animals. But please don't get all self righteous and ex pat!

look at what's happening in blighty :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/justice/1485772/Animal-cruelty-convictions-up-by-42-says-RSPCA-report-Nicola-Collinson-of-Gateshead-pleads-guilty-to-animal-suffering.html

or http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article2377481.ece

Sundance

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Hilda it was a bit of a shock for her, lucky my son only worked 5 mins away, and he came home to sort it, he put her in a blanket and put her in the garage until we got home, I not going to take on another dog in England at the moment,the time will come when I will spend more and more time in Cyprus and it would be unfair to the Dog, but when I live in Cyprus that will be a different matter

Sundance

Furryfriends

Message Posted:
08/11/2010 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

there was a lost hunting dog howling for 2 nights around our way so I took him to the belladiyse but i think they shooed it away. Why is there no law that hunting dogs should be registered and tagged by their owners that way if they loose them they can find them easy.

snd1966

Message Posted:
09/11/2010 06:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Well furryfriends, that idea was put to KAR by Can (radio presenter) when they had the 'big' poison meeting about two years ago. Nobody had even approached the Hunting Federation about the abandoned dogs, which lead to the laying of poisoning in the mountains. Those who do take hunting seriously have trained dogs, unfortunately a few are young and cannot afford the upkeep of a dog throughout the year. All dogs should be registered via their Belediyesi, I found out this year and having three who turned up on my doorstep it seemed a double whammy. I took them off the street then have to pay even more for the pleasure but the good news the Belediyesi is serious and I met a Cypriot who could speak good English pay the fine for not registering his. Also the shepherds had never been approached but maybe this will be part of Tom Roache's plan to eradicate poisoning on the island.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.