North Cyprus Tourist Board - Moving to Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Moving to Northern Cyprus

Moving to Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

shefget1

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

I am considering moving to Northern Cyprus within the next 12 months and need some advice. I am a Turkish UK born Cypriot.

I will be setting up a shop front type business (probably retai) in the Girne area and wanted peoples advise on the most up and coming (busy) areas to open. I have business expertise and will be travelling to Northern Cyprus to carry out research but wanted peoples honest opinion.

Kind Regards

johnm

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Honest opinion,dont bother with this place.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

You'll still have to do your military service.

Richard

lotech

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

It is a nice place, but running a business is not easy here, as the government is not very supportive of small businesses. If you are thinking of a retail business it is completly different to the UK as it is a small island there are not many customers here as population is low hence many businesses open and close in a short time again as there are no customers. Unless you can offer something unique your business is bound to fail. It is important to do a proper research before, otherwise you can loose money. Also the rent for premises is far too high in relation to the circumstances of this country. You will find that the rent for business premises in the south is even lower than here.

Regards

Hussain

Hector

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

And if you do come up with a unique retail business, guess how many exact copies will open up right next to you on the basis if you are making a profit then they must be able to do the same.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

msg 5;

Is it any different in 'doom n gloom ' UK land.

Year 2000,3 shops doing same business on the high street.Year 2008 jan,12 doing the same.

Guess what?Business rates,tax,rent went up every year.

Guess who gave them the licenses? I can assure you that it was not TRNC government!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

shefget1/Msg 1:

If you have family, or extremely good contacts, in high places, you might be able to get an import licence for the goods you propose to import.

There is only one [ well,many!] problem, though; the second you mention the type of goods you propose to import, you may - and I'm only saying 'may' - find that your application is refused and within a short time, some favoured person has the franchise for the very product(s) you originally applied for - it's called nepotism!

Brinsley

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Expat TC's returning are despised as much as real foreigners!

Richard

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Brinsley is right - it's the same North & South - returning Cyps. are called 'Charlies' and made most UNwelcome!

That is unless, of course, you have the best contacts, or exceptionally wealthy and influential family; i.e., the guys that run the show!

shefget1

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Thank you for many of your comments, some very productive and others well what can I say!!

The negatives detailed by some of the above apply exactly the same as the UK, every high street has 3-4 of the same businesses and people undercut eachother to win the business. Also the internet has had a big impact on small businesses. Its exactly the same in every country. Competetion is healthly, the key is to deliver a service or product which is a cut above the rest. When on holiday on many occassions I said "the service is a joke". Whether its a small family restaurant or a 5star hotel the service and product need to be world class for people to return.

Back to my original question which no one answered me, I would appreaicate some advise on areas which are busy and up and coming for business.

Kind Regards

Lilli

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

i opinion any one who starts re cycling will win x

Brinsley

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Msg 10

With no idea of what type of business you're trying to set up-retail (?) but in what? If it's an Ann Summers type of business best be out in the sticks near Karsiaka, if shoes, centre of Town etc etc. If you're so ambiguous about your future enterprise how on earth can you expect help in location matters?!

Richard

marydoll19

Message Posted:
03/11/2010 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

I am going over to the TRNC in a months time for four months and was really looking forward to it and a friend suggested I look for a rented apartment through this bulletin board, which I did and got several lovely replies and even phone calls, I got a flat in two days thanks to all who helped, but as I read through things here I really wonder what in gods name I will be going out to, I have only said three or four things and have been insulted, and many of you seem to be having such wicked times is it really that bad that you are always at each others throats, I do not think I will be back here again as it seems a very sad place.

God bless you all

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

marydoll19/Msg 13: '...but as I read through things here I really wonder what in gods name I will be going out to...'

You are only coming as a tourist, why worry?

People's problems only start after they've 'signed on the dotted line' for property purchase.

It is always uncertain how long visitors will be granted a visa for - it used to be 90 days; now, it has been rumoured that it is only 30 days. It appears to be up to the immigration official's mood on the day, or whether or not your face fits, at whichever border you arrive at. There are so many conflicting reports from people, one never knows.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

marydoll. If you are staying for four months and you may only get a visa for 30 or 90 days don't forget you will have to have it extended.

Visitor

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Shefket - My advice would be go out and explore areas for yourself. Although many posts are negative, I think being a Turkish Cypriot gives you an advantage. Also I guess it does depend on what your business will provide and to whom.

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

shefget1

I would'nt bother asking on this forum for any advice or ideas regards your mentioned business plans. Business is tuff everywhere in world at the moment, providing you do your research & costings properly there is no reason why a your business should not be a success.

I know of many businesses which are doing very well here. One of the main reasons a lot of businesses collapse here is that people hav'nt done their sums properly, also bad rental agreements and lack of personal capital.

Do not limit yourself to Girne as in my opinion it does not have much potential, have good look around Lefkosa aswell as Magosa...

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

I'm with message 16 on this.

shefget1

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for your comment stonehousepub, most have the comments have been negative or sarcastic, People fail in business as they have no idea about how to run a business. I have considered magosa as my father has some commercial units in the prime location of the university strip. I havnt looked at lefkosa yet , do u know much roughly it is for a unit where the border is in the Market area, are they easy to obtain?

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

message 19

I think your talking about the Ledra Palace crossing, i'm not to sure how much the cost of one of those units would be, footflow is good in that particular area which is obviously very important. You really need come out here and do your research. As I have said Lefkosa has much more potential than Girne, I personally would'nt waste any money on a business in Girne.

Live in Girne work in Lefkosa 15-20mins drive best way to do it...

shefget1

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

I will be coming out hopefully in January to have a look, I work in business and commercial banking at present so I understand what's required to be success in business, also my family has been in a successful business for the past 30 years in the uk. Do u know what agents deal in commercial units in girne or lefkosa?

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

There are no commercial estate agents as such, Boray emlak are the largest and most established agent in Lefkosa. There are tonnes of empty commercial premises in Girne but like I have mentioned I personally would'nt set up shop in Girne. With commercial units you are better off driving around and looking out for shops for rent/sale. Try the Remax website and click into their Lefkosa branch.

Things work a little different here to the UK as I have discovered but it does'nt take long to work it all out...

shefget1

Message Posted:
04/11/2010 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Thanks for the advice, i have some connections so I'll make sure I utilise them. Thanks again

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

But if you are considering a business which will be heavy on electricity then do check out the cost here, we have lost a huge dairy processing plant and also a huge factory which made clothes for such as Dorothy Perkins, Mango etc. Their reasons for relocating to Turkey were mainly the cost of electricity here. They tried to negotiate a cheaper supply and warned the government that they would close and relocate without a deal and guess what? The government just let them go, lost the taxes and the hundreds of jobs. What a loss for poor old Cyprus!

shefget1

Message Posted:
05/11/2010 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Thank you, do you know of any agents that deal with commercial (business) units in Lefkosa?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.