North Cyprus Tourist Board - Passport/id card/visa problems
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Passport/id card/visa problems

Passport/id card/visa problems

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Nadlc

Message Posted:
14/11/2010 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi everyone

Reading through all you comments, Hopefully someone can help me

I hold a uk passport and have a turkish Cyprus id card

I live in Turkey

I know i can live here with my id card

I have travelled to the Uk from Turkey using my Id card leaving and then my uk passport to enter the uk sometimes i have a problem but have always travelled

Now i hear i can not (and shouldnt have been) traveling like this, is this because i need to get my passport now?? if so wont i need a visa to leave with that passport or is it ok as i have a uk passport??

I cant leave on my uk passport as i do not have visa stamps or a residence permits as i dont need this as i can live here with my id card

I have called the embassy and they tried to help but in the end told me it would be up to the police on the day of travel

Im very confussed and wonder now should i just buy a residence permit to live here in turkey (even though i dont need one) just so i can travel in and out

LordJim

Message Posted:
14/11/2010 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

you have a uk passport NO PROBLEM THEN you are an eu citizen.

and have a turkish Cyprus id card

the above overrides the id card end of story.

AllyTT

Message Posted:
14/11/2010 16:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Are you there on a TRNC ID card or passport? You are not allowed to live there (or stay over 1 month) on a TRNC ID card, sometimes they turn a blind eye but I have friends and family who have paid hefty fines for overstaying. With a TRNC passport you can stay indefinitely and also leave the country on TRNC passport/enter UK on UK passport. You won't need a visa because you will still be leaving Turkey on your TRNC passport, you will however have to show your UK passport at check-in so that they can confirm you are OK to board. If you've stayed longer than the 1 month allowed then the embassy are right, it's totally up to the passport control on the day..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/11/2010 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Haven't a clue about the TR end, but your UK passport gives you the right to travel to the UK..

Wifey travels to Russia on her Ru passport and relies on the UK residency card to be allowed to fly back .

So - the question is what do you have to do to be legally allowed to live in Turkey - answer 3 seems to cover this..

Good luck !

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/11/2010 06:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

msg 1;

Since you are a TRNC citizen (id card!)and TRNC citizens ARE allowed Turkish citizenship ..............

Could above not be the answer to your Q?

Geoff

Message Posted:
15/11/2010 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

I hope you have already done your TRNC National Service (??). If not you would be required to complete it when you commenced residing here. I believe you can buy exemption (A TC friend of mine did recently) for abouit GBP 1K.

Geoff

Famagusta City

P.S. Age is no barrier to National Service, my above mentioned TC friend is 78!!!!

Nadlc

Message Posted:
21/11/2010 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks everyone,

I have spoke to the embassy and i am allowed to live in Turkey full time with my id card

GEOFF (i an a female so do not have to do my National service)

The problem i have is leaving turkey with my id card the passport control officer dont understand what it is(god knows why) they look at it speak to their friend in the next boath phone someone it puts me off travelling, so i will go to the embassy next week and get my passport but will i have the same problems with this??? who knows

I cant travel out of this country with my uk passport as it has no visa stamps

So still abit confussed

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
21/11/2010 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Good luck Nadlc..

Be patient and polite and you'll be ok !

AllyTT

Message Posted:
21/11/2010 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Nad - which embassy did you ask re. the ID card? Is it a new implementation as my brother was fined for overstaying on a TRNC ID card? Your TRNC citizenship gives you the right of residency in TR (and also, if you wish, the right of citizenship) however to live there you *do* need to have entered on your passport as otherwise you'll be overstaying your 1 month allowed on your "kimlik karti"..

elko2

Message Posted:
21/11/2010 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I agree with msg. 9

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.