North Cyprus Tourist Board - National Health ????? Please Advise
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > National Health ????? Please Advise

National Health ????? Please Advise

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

plumber

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

I Have bought a propery in Nothern Cyprus at Chelsea Village and would like some information on the NHS are we covered or can we use a European Health Insurance Card EHIC would this cover us for free treatment or reduced cost treatment ?

littlenige

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

No, no,no and sorry no.

The health service here is very good having had sandfly feaver treatment at girne hospital free and car accident treatment for 9 day stay in lefkosia hospital 750 ytl.

Pipie

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

no they stopped cover last year , so you can go to local hosptal for free emergency treatment ,anything else you have to rightly pay for .

plumber

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

so would Bupa be a good idea or is local medical assistance for non emergencys good value?

hector

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Plumber

I think some more research is required on your part re North Cyprus. Have a look at the British Residents Society website (although not that good) re health insurance (look under current initiatives)

http://www.brstrnc.com/index.html and pay them a visit next time you are in NC.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

I await to be shot down in flames,...

but,... as EHIC is not recgnised in NC, if you become ill, what is to stop you crossing the border to the ROC where it is accepted?

Surely if you have EHIC, the ROC must treat you under the arrangement even if you are only a 'visitor', assuming, of course, you still have a registered address in the UK, even kids or relatives adresses, to be able to claim full NHS?

rob

rtddci

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

rob

I believe you are right. Likewise that you lose entitlement to the NHS if you move abroad despite having no doubt paid all ones life for it through NI contributions. Now if you claim to be a asylum seeker.....

dalartokat

Message Posted:
30/08/2008 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Message 5 Hector is right in telling you that you need to do more research on Medical care in Northern Cyprus. In my opinion, it should be at the top of your list before leaving the UK. There are changes to the NHS regarding people who have lived abroad and going back to the UK for treatment(and I am not talking about those that have given addresses of relatives etc).

Some Hospitals now are asking their patients at their bedsides which is being called "stabilise and discharge" . You will be treated and then asked for payment. You could also be asked for proof by way of a utility bill. Rules were put in place back in 2004 but Hospitals were lapse in applying these rules, which were, that they should have asked "have you been in this country in the last 12 months" and "are you entitled to free NHS treatment". Because Hospital staff became "too embarrassed" to ask these questions "Health Tourism" is on the increase. This was mainly targeted to people from Nigeria, Asia etc.

It could now be the case, all people from overseas regardless of whether you are from the UK and have paid your taxes etc, you may well be asked.

If you wish to go the route of giving other peoples addresses, it could be a chance you take as most GP's will not want to be involved in the politics and see only their job as to treat people regardless of where they come from.

Surrender of your Medical card is something you have to decide to do, albeit it tells you that you must surrender it if you leave the country.

I personnally believe that the backup of good Medical Insurance is piece of mind and yes cheap or free medical care is available in NC but with the continuation of expats arriving in NC how long will this continue

plumber

Message Posted:
31/08/2008 02:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

many thanks for your good advice guys.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.