North Cyprus Tourist Board - Is there such a thing as a street map of Lapta?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Is there such a thing as a street map of Lapta?

Is there such a thing as a street map of Lapta?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Lapta town

» North Cyprus Map

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Hi everyone

Coming out there on 13th October (save me some of that sunshine & efes) but will struggle to find our house up in the hills above Lapta. Is there such a thing as a recent map so I won't be going round & round the mountain for hours!

Pipie

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

no street map available , will the person who sold you villa , help you out and meet you somewhere . hope this helps .

Chick-A-Dee

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

I always get lost when in Lapts .... best to go via landmarks and buildings ... ie turn left at Cenap ... right at mosque ...etc etc ....

KAVENKOY

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

what about a neighbour who could draw you one and send it you perhaps ?

i do find it a bit strange you cant find your own house ?

kav

Chick-A-Dee

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

Hey ... I have problems finding my car in the car park sometimes. NOT all of us are blessed with a good sense of direction!

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

Kavenkoy

We only found this house two days before we flew back to the UK in July. The Estate Agent took us up there twice. I'm sure once I've driven there myself a couple of times I'll be fine but thanks anyway for your concern.

Maggie

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

I bought a villa 6 months ago,...

still don't know the address,....

but as there isn't a postal service or street name,....

Am I Bovvered??

hattikins

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Hi Maggie

I,m sure if you email your estate agent they,ll give you the address and directions, don,t worry, after a few trips you,ll soon get your bearings.

Hatti

laptagal

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

I asked the same question some time ago. Don't have trouble in finding our house, just in orientation. Would be good to know how big Lapta is and where various things are in relation to one another. We did come across a map posted outside of the police station so wondered whether this is available anywhere but have not been able to locate it. We are out again in a couple of weeks and will let you know if we find anything.

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Popie,

Are you saying that the TRNC authorities have not produced a map of a town the size of Lapta?

Pipie

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

ptepike

when we enquired for a map we were told that they do not have street maps .

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Thanks Laptagal thats very kind of you, like I said, once I've found it driving myself I'm sure I'll be fine - when someone else is doing the driving you tend not to pay attention to where you're being driven.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

RE Pike : (...) Are you saying that the TRNC authorities have not produced a map of a town the size of Lapta? (...)

Exactly, Pike. The Mapping Department in Lefkosha is understaffed, but doing its very best.

I've just finished Version 1.6.1 of my Updated Tourist Road Map of Northern Cyprus (Version 1.0 is for sale on paper at the Lambousa Market and Version 1.6.1 will be for sale via the Internet shortly. Check here: http://tinyurl.com/57yd7t ).

I'm now working on street maps (including Lapta), but I'll finish maps only when enough people promise to buy - to cover my costs ((a lot of driving around, the latest GPS (which my wife will bring Thursday ) and other costs that will not interest many potential customers, I think).

OK, a street map of Lapta first? Mail me if you're interested: hd@allcrusades.com . If 100 people want to pay 5 Lira I can do a professional, very detailed map.

∆ Hans Doeleman, journalist/cartographer/historian SSAM

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Looks as though you have a wide open market, DC. Good luck with it!

hector

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

I await your updated internet map with interest and will buy. You would think it would be easy for the NC government to produce a decent map now that every road has a name. They could at least make use of Google Earth.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

RE hector: (...) They could at least make use of Google Earth. (...)

===> Sorry to disappoint you, hector. Google's maps of (Northern) Cyprus are usually more than four years old. Cut outs of Google's maps (and other map providers) are blurred. I don't go into details here, because I don't want to give my esteemed opponent Pike more ammunition...

There are very detailed maps of (Northern) Cyprus, but for these maps you have to call The White House, Washington DC (DC, but it ain't me... )

laptagal

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

Hi DC. brought your on-line map and was not as detailed as I had hoped. Also, I thought it would come in the post, in hard copy (my printer only does mono A4). Would buy a streetmap of Lapta when you devise one, providing this is available in a printed version.

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

DC: "I don't want to give my esteemed opponent Pike more ammunition..."

Get away with you! I was being sincere. I was always cr*p at map-reading. I just got one of my men to do it.

hector

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

Thought you would have asked a policeman

PtePike

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

If an MoP asks the way I put it out on my PR! Or give them a city guide to keep. If you get them lost they sue you.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

RE laptagal : (...) Hi DC. brought your on-line map and was not as detailed as I had hoped. Also, I thought it would come in the post, in hard copy (my printer only does mono A4). Would buy a streetmap of Lapta when you devise one, providing this is available in a printed version. (...)

===> Hi laptagal. Allow me some remarks please. 1 : If you're not satisfied I'll return your money. 2 : When you bought the maps you could have read that I would send the two maps (West and East) VIA email. 3 : The maps I sent are A3 full colour and were meant for your computer screen (150 dpi, which is more than you usually get or see: only 72 dpi). 4 : If you had let me know you would have liked to print the maps I would have sent you a high quality jpg (300 dpi) for print in any print shop (for only one Pound) in any civilized country. But again: I don't want to cheat Brits an other expats: dissatisfied? - money will be returned.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/09/2008 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

If you had let me know = If you had let me known. The English language is sometimes bl**dy difficult...

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

DC

"The English language is sometimes bl**dy difficult... "

How true!

I tried 'googling' Dutch Crusader and could only find one Dutch Politician who published an anti Muslim film just after the 'Danish Cartoons' incident, causing much unrest and a number of deaths.

The only other mention was of the Boer invasion in South Africa which resulted in a range of military conflict.

I now have a mental image of you as Eugene Terra'Blanche! ( before you get pedantic, I know he was a French born Calvinist, but a strong supporter of Dutch influence).

The only other refence was for the 'Flying Dutchman'.

Re Cartography,... the first rule is not to erroneously criticise your competitors. Unlike your comment that google earth/maps are mostly 4 years old,.. my property in NC is only 18mths old and clearly shown.

In fact their maps, being in the public domain, are clear enough for someone to add titles, street names and local landmarks. I may waste a bit of time editing them and offering free downloads! I'm sure I would get suggestions for updates from British ex-pats.

Brits obviously being the best Cartographers in the world,... since Mercator in 1596, who I acknowledge was Flemish (but had to speak good English)!

rob

MaggieAndBernie

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 01:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Hello again, Just ordered a map from Amazon - 'The Rough Guide Map of Cyprus' will let everyone know if it's any good when it arrives!

laptagal

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

DC - sorry to cause offence and did not wish to imply that I had been cheated. I don't think for a moment that I was - just not what I had hoped for. However, a street map of Lapta would be exactly what I had wanted and I would definetly buy one from you.

Best wishes with the project.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

RE ROBnJO : (...) I tried 'googling' Dutch Crusader and could only find one Dutch Politician who published an anti Muslim film just after the 'Danish Cartoons' incident, causing much unrest and a number of deaths. The only other mention was of the Boer invasion in South Africa which resulted in a range of military conflict. I now have a mental image of you as Eugene Terra'Blanche! ( before you get pedantic, I know he was a French born Calvinist, but a strong supporter of Dutch influence). The only other refence was for the 'Flying Dutchman'. (...)

===> Thank you for this interesting information. "Dr. Rob Freud", eh? And your point is?!! I have nothing to do with the above mentioned. And what has it got to do with a "map of Lapta"?

(...) Re Cartography,... the first rule is not to erroneously criticise your competitors. Unlike your comment that google earth/maps are mostly 4 years old,.. my property in NC is only 18mths old and clearly shown. (...)

===> Google has started to update the (many) pictures that make the map of Cyprus, but still many if not most of them are four years old and some are even older. Like I said before. (PS. I just checked Google Earth Plus again this morning).

(...) In fact their maps, being in the public domain, are clear enough for someone to add titles, street names and local landmarks. I may waste a bit of time editing them and offering free downloads! I'm sure I would get suggestions for updates from British ex-pats. (...)

===> What a good idea! Please put me on your list - I like to receive a copy of every 'map' you make. A3.jpg and print quality, please. Free of charge of course.

(...) Brits obviously being the best Cartographers in the world,... since Mercator in 1596, who I acknowledge was Flemish (but had to speak good English)! (...)

===> We can have different opinions on this subject. And obviously we have. But I don't think this is the thread ("Map of Lapta") to debate the subject.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

RE laptagal : (...) just not what I had hoped for. (...)

===> I'm very interested to know what you were expecting and what you obviously did not find on the maps I sent you. Thank you for replying.

laptagal

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

Hi again DC. I had already brought an Insight Flexi Map at the airport (north one side, south the other) which showed the main and some side roads and although your map showed that there were a few more roads, I was hoping for something which gave a bit more detail - perhaps main street names and landmarks. As someone fairly new to the area, I find it difficult to follow some of the directions given in posts (i e - turn left past the post office ...). Again, not meant as a criticism, just my own thoughts. If you are compiling a list of people interested in purchasing a street map of Lapta (and perhaps one of Girne?) please put my name down.

MarkVpiazza

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

In Karsiyaka, there is a board with a detailed streetmap of the village (located near the Co-op)

Possibly there is something similar in Lapta?

Mark

Elliecy

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

There is a map of Lapta at Lapta Beledeyesi.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.