North Cyprus Tourist Board - Free to Air Television and UK Turk
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Free to Air Television and UK Turk

Free to Air Television and UK Turk

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

KARY44

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 44 in Discussion

A post of thanks and praise

After reading several posts on here May / June prior to move to TRNC July, i contacted UK Turk (Erkan) Forum member, reference all types of television that i could get free in TRNC, listened to his advice bought 0.9cm motorised system in uk, had local man fit and install, thats where Erkan came into his own, spent few nights via Skype programming and reprogamming system, now have a system with loads of film, sports etc in english, i can not praise this guy enough for the hours he spent on phone patiently turning me into a satellite programmer Thanks

puppylover

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 44 in Discussion

Kary44....

Well done for making the effort to thank someone for taking the time to help you out.

Always nice to see as its become the norm to only advertise bad service rather than praise now a days.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 10:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 44 in Discussion

I'll second that, after installation I found that the Nilesat aerial needed re-aligning. Tektan came out and did this plus taking off all my installed channels.

Erkan kindly talked me through the whole process a second time.

Cheers Ukturk, you're a star!

Lem

laptagal

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Kary. Could you give a bit more detail about the system you brought in UK (with hyperlink, if poss.) Also, I am assuming you set it up while in TRNC so how did you manage to get onto skype before setting up the satellite? Sorry to sound a bit dim but I am only barely computer literate and our sky box in the UK is a total magical mystery to me. Any help greatly appreciated.

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 44 in Discussion

hi guys

thank you guys for your kind words, im glad you like and are happy with the sytems in my view much better than digiturk and another good thing no monthly fee's apart from what you pay intially

laptagirl kary wanted a system where he can get loads of programs thats why he went for a motorised dish which he bought off ebay, i think for you this would be to complex

personally for you i would get a system from tektan located in girne the system you need is 2 dishes one pointed at hotbird and the other at nilesat the box you need is Next ye2000 fta then you need to contact me to work my magic i do charge for this service but belive you me it is well worth it

warm regards to all thanx again for your kind words

ukturk

laptagal

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks UK Turk. Will be out in a couple of weeks and will look into it. Not taking possession until the end of the year but will certainly be contacting you. Husband couldn't possible survive without sports channels.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Laptagal

The system Ukturk is talking about cost £225 at Tectan in Girne for set top box and sat dishes fully fitted.

Lem

gardenmaker

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 44 in Discussion

hi uk turk i went to digiturk last week to change my package so i could watch prem football as they have started a new channel spormax but they wanted double what i pay now would i get the football with the dual system you are talking about and how much do you charge for magic

ukturk

Message Posted:
03/09/2008 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 44 in Discussion

hi gd

yes spormax is on the highest package around 83ytl a month, now if you are a devout football follower i would say get the two dish system one which is pointed at hotbird for the bbc channels and movies and the other dish pointed at a sat named thor which shows all the football

if you want to know anything further please email me and we can discuss anything further there

regards

ukturk

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 44 in Discussion

and guys if you need anything further please dont hesitate in contacting me or posting

warm regards

ukturk

jaykay

Message Posted:
15/09/2008 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 44 in Discussion

Hi ukturk very interested in the seytem from tectan understand that the sytem costs about £225 from them need to know set up costs from yourself as I think two of us are interested here in tatlisu

ukturk

Message Posted:
15/09/2008 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 44 in Discussion

hi jaykay

if you want to email me ill be happy to discuss all the relavant info and costs

regards

ukturk

woofy

Message Posted:
22/09/2008 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 44 in Discussion

Hi,

Just a question does anyone know if we can get freeview tv?

We are on the seaterra reserve site and as far as i know we have sattelite dish on the roof but we have been told that basic package costs 20ytl per month. We dont really see the need to pay this as we intend to use the appartment only for holidays,So wondered if we could install something for a one off payment with some basic channels.

Thanks,

woofy.

ukturk

Message Posted:
22/09/2008 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 44 in Discussion

hi woofy

the system the site is talking baout is named digiturk like sky in the u.k has its own channels not that great to tell you the truth

the cheapest best system to go for is have two dishes installed if you can and buy a next ye2000 fta or cx or cis, fta being the cheapest you can purchase this from a shop named tektan located in girine centre, once you have this installed you then contact me and i provide software for this box that will open a lot of the pay tv channels

if you are interested then contact me via email and i will go into detail on how we can do this

regards

ukturk

keithcaley

Message Posted:
22/09/2008 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Woofy,

re message 13, I think that UKTurk's recommendation is very good and will give you loads of channels, at a reasonable price.

If you don't mind a more restricted choice for occassional use, you could bring a cheap FTA satellite receiver from the UK (see http://www.maplin.co.uk or similar) & have one dish (50 or 60 cm) aligned to the 'Nilesat' cluster. This will give you English Language films (with Arabic subtitles!) on about 5 channels, plus a few general interest channels in English, and about 5 or so News channels in English , including BBC World, CNN etc.

You can have a 'normal' TV aerial to pick up local channels, but there is not much of interest in English apart from 'Dispatches' on ADA TV (which the bush telegraph says is going on to Satellite shortly) and the very occassional film in English.

Your choice!

Best regards,

Keith.

helot

Message Posted:
22/09/2008 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 44 in Discussion

As we are talking TV does anyone else have problems with SHOWTIME as I have been here since May and have now moved house due to electrical problems which I thought was the reason I kept loosing Showmovies and showsports but its still happening in my new house,one minute its on then we could loose it for hours then it comes back again,is this a general fault?

ukturk

Message Posted:
22/09/2008 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 44 in Discussion

helot

how are you watching showtime?

if its thru a original card you shud be having no probs with losing picture

if your box is connected thru the internet and the net goes down or ur speed slacks a bit then you cud loose the channel

tell me exactly what system ur r using aswell as the make and i will try and figure the prob

regards

ukturk

helot

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 44 in Discussion

Hi ukturk

This may sound stupid but I am not sure what the system is only that its not Digiturk,I got set up by a little company on the lapta road in Alsancak which just says Wireless Internet,I called in there this morning after reading your message to ask what the system is but they would not say,I do know though that I am going via the Internet and although on the DB3 Box there is a card slot there is no card and they told me I cant have one as they have one in the shop that feeds all customers

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Erkan

I am looking at getting the 2 dish system that you recommend. Could you tell me how much you charge for weaving your magic and how I pay you (Paypal ???). Also could you give me an idea as to what channels I would have access to ??

Kind regards

Paul

fire starter

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 44 in Discussion

hi ukturk

there is a system coming to cyprus call botex.

at present you need the net for this but in 10 days it will be available without a net connection.

have you heard of this system?

what do you think of it?

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Lemtich

I have bought the system as recommended by Erkan (UKTurk) but he seems to have disappeared off the forum so I have been unable to get the system 'updated'. As you have been through the reprogramming procedure twice, I don't suppose you can remember what has to be done ???

Kind Regards

Paul

Lemtich

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Paul

I've emailled you.

Lem

niftyduo

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 44 in Discussion

Lemtich: i have the system suggested by UKturk, the two sat dishes and the next box. Erkan (Ukturk) went off to the UK about the Middle of December. He sent me the software for my box but since then we have lost contact. I am a litle concerned that is is Ok. On the other hand, i would like to get the software installed. Do you know how to proceed?

Quarmby

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 44 in Discussion

Msg 13

I think you will find that Freview is the UK's terrestial digital system, so you would not get it over here.

iceman

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 44 in Discussion

Quarmby

It is technically possible to watch (most) Freeview channels in Cyprus,but they are not so "free" considering you need a 4.2m dish.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 44 in Discussion

NiftyDuo Message 23

I'm pretty sure I can remember but to talk you through the codes for the various channels I'd have to be in front of my setup box and TV. Unfortunately I'm some 2000 miles away from them in the UK at the moment and for the forseeable future.

I have got Erkan's mobile number if that's any help.

Lem

niftyduo

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 44 in Discussion

Thanks Lem, his mobile, especially if it is UK mobile might help

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 44 in Discussion

Let's clear this Freview biz up !

Freeview is digital terrestrial TV in the UK..Of course we can't se it in Cyprus as we won't expect to get Cyprus TV via our aerials in the UK....You'd be surprised how many folk DO bring out Freeview boxes to CY and wonder why they don't work !!!

It is possible to view most of these channels, and a lot more free ones via a SKY box and a lapsed SKY subscription card and a Big (4.2m for the area of CY under TR control) dish .. The service is called freesat in the UK and most sat receivers can receive the channels..( you can use most receivesr used for Nilesat, Digiturk, etc. SKY offer a card for £20 to a UK address that allows you to watch Freesat channels that are scrambled..using a SKY receiver ( SKY 3, and currently FIVE, Five US , Fiver)

..and then there's the internet... if you have a fast enough connection - one can now view BBC/ SKY/ ITV et al via their players on your PC...

Nothing beats the BIG dish.

In Paphos it is p

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/01/2009 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 44 in Discussion

In Paphos ( Baf) it is possible to view the BBC/ ITV, etc using a 2.7m and in Limas(sol) 3m / 3.2m and 3.7m work ok

The further south and east you go, the signal gets WEAKER...

augusta

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Ukturk

I have sent you an email from Christine/augusta....and tell you about the email in the hope that you may open and read it!

snakes

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 44 in Discussion

ukturk !!! we are out to trnc to live in april in zeytinlik and would like your advise on a suitable system to obtain some uk channels news etc and films ! not bothered about to much sport as plenty of bars seem to offer and better atmosphere

thanks regards barry

jock1

Message Posted:
05/01/2009 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 44 in Discussion

Happy new year Erkan, can you get in touch...

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Lem

Have not received e-mail with Erkans mobie number. Could you try again at Fiendishpaul@hotmail.com

Thanks

Paul (Not so fiendish!)

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
06/01/2009 17:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 44 in Discussion

Hi Nifty

I am in the same boat as you re the sat system that Erkan recommended albeit I don't have the software yet. If you get in touch with Erkan before me, could you point him in my direction ??

Kind regards

Paul

suziQ

Message Posted:
07/01/2009 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 44 in Discussion

Just to let you all know - I spoke to Erkan some time ago he doesn't have access to a pc at the moment as he is travelling - he should be back online soon though.

regards

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/01/2009 06:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 44 in Discussion

Helot re 16/18

as I haven't seen a reply ..I'll wager you are watching Showtime via an illegal card sharing system.. one LEGAL card is shared out via the internet .. when the internet is busy, you don't get the unscrambling codes quick enough so the picture encrypts and de-encrypts.

LEGALLY, showtime is not available outside the Middle East, but there are dealers in CY that obtain the cards.

When I say illegal, the guys that SHARE the cards are the one's the companies would target.. but I guess the "TRNC" is not at the top of the list of places for a crack down..

I was in contact with the technical director of showtime.. ex BBC.. a Brit and they ( like SKY) made cards harder to get.. so the card sharing started.. I attended a meeting in Istanbul in sept 2007 where the company that did the encryption for Showtime promised that cardsharing would be "eliminated" very soon !

Your options : a faster internet connection or try to obtain a genuine showtime subscription card

Richard

Message Posted:
03/02/2009 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 44 in Discussion

Those of you pointing at 13'E Hotbird, there is now a trend for channels inc. BBC Prime to transmit using the new version of Viaccess encryption which is yet to be cracked. I have a Next 2000CX on a 1.8m motorised dish and a Sky System on a 3m dish. I suggest for those users of fixed dual dish systems to re-align to Thor on 1'W for UK Film, Docs & Sport or go the Dreambox route but risk your card share provider getting the rug pulled from under his feet.

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/02/2009 02:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 44 in Discussion

hi guys

just to say to the guys who are waiting for the new software for their boxes, im on the case and waiting for my guys to get back to me asap cant access my tools while im on my travels, once i do ill will be in contacting each and every one of you personally

now on to richards comments he is correct about bbc prime but belive you me their are people on the case trying to crack it and in no time it will,they change their system every few years and every time it gets cracked as well as the other channels, it is also correct that the next box does crack all the channels on thor 1' w with a lot of english channels aswell as sports channels but like a few people who have tried with my saying so have got stuck because you cant get all the channels with a 1.8mt dish where im located in turkey you can get it no problem

also richard you must have a seperate box to control the motorised dish because you need a next dpcis box to control a 1.8mt not a 2000cx

cnt

ukturk

Message Posted:
04/02/2009 02:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 44 in Discussion

also if people do go down the dreambox road firstly you will need a fast enough internet connection to connect to the dreambox also to maxamise the system you will need a motorised dish and most people who sell these systems will charge you a yearly fee to obtain these channels but if you are computer literate you can do it yourself but it is a long winded affair

hope this helps and speak to you guys soon

regards

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
04/02/2009 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 44 in Discussion

Dear UKTurk re msg 39/38

As someone who saw the "gamekeeper" side of the pay tv industry AND folk who try to get around paying for content that is encrypted, I can promise the card sharing / Dreambox "script kiddies" will have their "hands full" with angry clients wanting to know why the channels they "paid" for are disappearing.

The pay tv industry is in crisis and the point has reached where they either pack up or "finish off" the Criminals who Pirate their content by keeping them SO busy with "software updates" that the clients will "give up" and pay - like they should... !

Richard

Message Posted:
04/02/2009 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 44 in Discussion

Two responses from Mr Ibrahim....I guess you knew it was me. How are you Erkan? I heard you got into the old satellite game. You are right I should have got my backside off the settee I do in fact have a Next 2000X-CI Plus with my motorised dish...you should remember as you put me onto the guy in Marmaris who sold me it. I won't hold my breath on Viaccess 3.0 been cracked soon mate as they have been trying for over a year now without any joy. Also after the arrests of the 2.5 crackers in France last October Viaccess announced a real crack down and are using IP sniffers to trace even the forum posters.

http://www.hackinthebox.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=28815

I am in the middle of trying mmmmm's suggestion of using a VPN proxy http://www.uktvabroad.com

It is better and faster than other free proxies I have tried and works 100%.

Richard

Message Posted:
04/02/2009 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 44 in Discussion

FYI. A mate of mine has configured his brothers PC to act as a proxy in the UK and has set up a secure VPN connection from his home here in Turkey. This allows him to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 etc but for Sky you will still need an account.

On a personal note I have tried all ways to get around the TV for Brits abroad problem and in the end bought a 3 metre dish and subscribed to Sky from my UK address. I couldn't be doing with the cat and mouse mentality of it all and was fed up of sitting down to watch the match etc only to find the channel scrambled which meant trawling the net hoping to find the new code before half time.

redrob

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 44 in Discussion

i got a guy to put all the british tv channels on my pc now the misses is happy watching all her soaps shame about the 2 hours thoe

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/03/2009 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 44 in Discussion

re msg 42

If your "missus" had access to iplayer from the beeb and the eqiv sites from ITV.com, C4 etc the time difference isn't an issue - she can download / view time at HER convenience..

Dear Richard, re msg 42

"A mate of mine has configured his brothers PC to act as a proxy in the UK and has set up a secure VPN connection from his home here in Turkey. This allows him to watch BBC, ITV, Channel 4 & 5 etc but for Sky you will still need an account. "

What you are saying is not technically correct.. Your friend may have VPN access from Turkey to the UK.. I hardly think he'd need a Proxy access as BBC's download manager will no work on iplayer, and ITV.com will haves issues - as will c4, etc

Also, unless the pc at the up end in the UK has an extremely good UP connection.. the VPN will be useless for streaming .. and slow as a "server" for "downloading" ..far better to pay for a proper DEDICATED VPN server service..

Best is still a big dish ;)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.