North Cyprus Tourist Board - tennis coaching in north cyprus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > tennis coaching in north cyprus?

tennis coaching in north cyprus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Nickster

Message Posted:
04/12/2010 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I just wondered if anyone is interested in having tennis lessons, either adult or juniors. I teach tennis in england and have a property out near bacheli. If i thought i could enough lessons to afford living their permanent i would. What with the weather over here at the moment, conditions perfect in cyprus. There are courts scattered about. But im sure i could arrange use of courts at smaller hotels.

Been teaching for 19 years, so i know my way round a court!

Give us a shout.

Nick

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/12/2010 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

There is a tennis club with a Turkish Cypriot coach in Girne. I normally play at the 'Ship Inn'. However, we've found that as soon as any of the places that have tennis courts realise you play on a regular basis, they increase their court hire rate - probably double it. This has made the cost prohibitive for many.

I don't know if there are any courts around the Bacheli district, but be warned that the standard of TRNC tennis courts is certainly not what you will have been used to. It's probably better I don't voice an opinion - shall I say: not exactly to 'En Tout Cas' specs.!

TRNC law stipulates that *foreigners wishing to work must apply for a work permit. According to a recent article in the 'Cyprus Today', word is out that new *applicants will be refused! If you are caught working illegally, you will be fined and possibly deported - thereby, effectively losing the house you have bought.

I don't think enough expat players in TRNC to make it worthwhile as a job!

frankedad

Message Posted:
05/12/2010 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

I agree that there are not that many people here who are interested in playing tennis. I am the membership secretary for the Midsummer House tennis club in Catalkoy, it is in the grounds of the restauarant. We charge 100tl for a years membership or you can play for just 10tl an hour. If anyone interested can ring me on 0533 849 2743

deputydawg

Message Posted:
05/12/2010 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

TRNC truly is depressing sometimes. Seems like "net" called and no more "new balls please". I am a Squash Coach and for all the reasons stated by Tenakoutou I decided it would lead to hassle even if I coached in an unpaid capacity.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/12/2010 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

deputydawg/Msg 4: '...and for all the reasons stated by Tenakoutou I decided it would lead to hassle even if I coached in an unpaid capacity.'

If caught working - usually because someone nasty, or jealous, has 'dobbed you in', it's no use even arguing with the authorities that one is working 'unpaid', because they will tell you that's no excuse, as you are still depriving a Cypriot of work that the Cypriot could be getting paid for!

Whether, or not, the Cypriot is adequately qualified to do whatever specific job that you have been caught doing is completely immaterial to the authorities!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
06/12/2010 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

The only work I do is for myself and occasionally the odd little job to help friends of ours who have been widowed. Sometimes I wonder if it is not too far fetched to believe that I will soon be accused of denying work to locals by cleaning my own swimming pool and tidying the garden. How selfish is it of me to offer neighbours who cannot drive a lift when they can ill afford a taxi and I am going to the shops ?

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
06/12/2010 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

deputydawg:

As some forum members may know, I build and [used to] fly radio control model aircraft. A coupla days ago, having made inquiries as to whether a small expat. group of us could [occasionally] use the abandoned airstrip on the other side of the Kyrenia Range, I was told: 'No - not unless you are a Turkish Cypriot!'

Thanks TRNC - Hosgeldiniz Kibris!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
06/12/2010 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Somewhat off thread but if you have the technical ability to make the aircraft with a good payload capability and bomb doors I can provide you with GPS coordinates and/or 6 figure grid references which you may find interesting and appropriate. Why do I feel that we do not seem to be moved to encourage anyone to attempt to provide a service for the benefit of all those in the TRNC who may be interested ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.