North Cyprus Tourist Board - name and shame
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > name and shame

name and shame

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 102 in Discussion

Dear All,

Just thought you might be interested in this. There is a double page spread on Donaghy & Heath who have left 15 residents without an electricity transformer at their development. They are now asking for more money for infrastructure, a problem all too common with developers in the TRNC. The purchasers have already paid for this once before, but the buiLders (who have since become partners in 2 well known estate agents!!!), are saying unless they pay for another one, they wont get it!

As the Government does not intend to help people of the TRNC it is left to the likes of us to highlight developers like this and warn future purchasers. If anyone is in a similar situation, please feel free to email or PM me and I will be happy to try and help: you are not alone out there !

Ozmen

Cyprus Star

hector

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 102 in Discussion

I think 'naming and shaming' is the correct way to highlight these builders/ shysters if things are ever going to change.

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 102 in Discussion

forgot to to say copied message 1 from another forum .

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 102 in Discussion

Totaly agree hector , buyers with serious issues now have the chance to bring concerns into the open , it is such a big stride foward and he guarantees that this to be his aim , i urge all with problems to contact him , unhappy buyers now have the help of Homebuyers pressure group and the Cyprus star , so in a nutshell badly treated buyers could be a thing of the past . Also the ruthless builders and there associates may think twice before they decide not to carry out there obligations .

oliveoil

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 102 in Discussion

dont be lulled into thinking you can beat these people because there are far more sinister things happening

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 102 in Discussion

olive oil , i agree with you , but this is another way forward to help stop and deter these sinister things happening , dont you agree ?

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 102 in Discussion

I believe that naming and shaming highlights the need to change the system and laws here to provide protection and security for purchasers and return confidence back to the construction industry and boost the economy.

We were served with libel papers for naming and shaming, however we are not worried because we have stuck to the facts and the truth which is backed up with evidence.

Sibel

Please sign the petition to amend the specific performance law:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... index.html

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 102 in Discussion

You can seem some of the info re this story on this link:

http://trncvillaowners.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4299

or in Cyprus Star tommorrow.

Sibel

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 102 in Discussion

Isnt the Cyprus Star owned by the owner of medview homes that a) has not handed over any title deeds, b) mortgaged homes that have been sold c) charges exorbitant annual maintenance fees and d) threatened to take the HBPG to court but have now become 'friends'? Ironic they are the ones naming and shaming! Im sure they will report the full facts truthfully!!!!

littlenige

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 102 in Discussion

Will the sam source that has run the article on Donaghy & Heath run an article on why no medview home owners have their kochan ??

The butler

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 102 in Discussion

Hi Doughnuts40,

I was just about to say the same thing, I agree with everything you say and not only that but if you refuse to pay these exhorbitant charges, Mr Ali Safa refuses to let you have water. Our site is still not finished although we do have electricity and water and the build is of a high standard. I cannot believe this crusade that the Cyprus Star newspaper is now involved with as I think they should be putting their own house in order first.

Steve

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 102 in Discussion

Steve, people are very fickle here! Very quick to jump on the name and shame boundwagon but hey lets forget what this guy has done to hundreds of property owners! Im sure a 'professional' publication such as this got 'both sides of the story' as this was his biggest gripe when everyone was naming and shaming him! Lets see!

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 102 in Discussion

perhaps he could answer himself if he reads this . Mmmmmmmm

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 102 in Discussion

The butler could i ask did you know in advance when buying re charges ? or was high charges introduced at a later date ? did you sign a contract re charges ?

also re not allowing you water , how can he do that ? this info will certainly be helpful to others

Cheers .

The butler

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 102 in Discussion

Hi Pipie,

We all signed a contract for £475.00 + vat per year. After the first year it went up to £1250.00. Of course we all kicked up and said we wouldn't pay it, we were told we wouldn't get water and they would make it difficult if we wanted to sell our properties.. The reason he can stop us getting water, is we have to buy our water from him as the water tank is communal. We drive a 70km round trip to buy water at 10ytl a ton. Now Medview are naming and shaming other developers, how hypercritical is that???

Steve

Pipie

Message Posted:
04/09/2008 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 102 in Discussion

''crikey '' makes you think what can happen . Thanks for info The butler.

punk rocker

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 102 in Discussion

Really makes you think dosent it, !!!

I have to agree that name and shame is a way to go but too many people skirt round issues instead of saying directly what the problems are.

Some make big issues of small things, most complexes in the TRNC and in fact world wide have issues, I myself was in Florida recently and the complex on which I was staying at Clearwater (built 8 years ago) had the swimming pool out of action, the tennis courts were not finished and the hot tub was broken, when I questioned the warden he shrugged and said it happens all the time the reason is peoples fees are the same as two years ago but prices have gone up 30% and he cannot pay for the pool maintenance, really makes you think, trouble is some dont !!!

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 102 in Discussion

On the subject of maintenenece , as a majority of complexes are in there there infancy ,some maintenenece companies are under the impression that they simply set charges without remit , what some m/c tend to forget is that at this point owners do not have a choice of m/c .

When m/c are put in post this is probably the choice of the developer, now if the m/c is fair with charges are customer focused and build a good rapour with owners all involved will probably have a good relationship.

What owners and m/c need to be aware of is that if complexes are left such as the one mentioned in message 17 owners can simply ask for tenders and than choose a m/c who can then provide a good service and good value for money , clearly the complex manager (mentioned in messege 17 ) did not have the ability to run the complex , as he/she did not set out a forward plan to ensure ingoings covered out goings .

Hector

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 102 in Discussion

I am told that Cyprus Today have run a story about the British couple arrested at Ercan on arrival because their builder claimed they had stolen his paint pots. Male banged up for 3 days before he was told why. Paint pots were found in the shed. Nothing to do with holding back money re snagging of course. Male now on bail. Beware what lengths builders will go to.

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 102 in Discussion

Im sure Ismet will have a good response on advice for that couple on what they can do , im sure there are laws in place to enable this sort of ill practice to be stopped .

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 102 in Discussion

For those who do not remember, Marian Stokes tried the route of naming a builder, whose name escapes me now but I do believe he owns a large building company and a "newspaper"!! She was threatened with a massive legal claim.

Sorry, but in this country when the former british population amounts to less than 5% of the total population this can only lead to massive retribution. Name and shame linked with continual slagging off of local people for "ripping people off" etc on these BB's will lead to more than most of you would want to admit.

Unfortunaltly the answer to all of our problems lies in the legal system and the government making laws to root out the wrong doers.

As for the story in CT the law is probably on the side of the builder, a tin of paint went missing 2 years ago and the last place it was seen was this persons house. Morally it is a load of rubbish and we all probably know what is going on.

Instead of blustering here making all sorts of allegations how many would take to the streets in protest at the way we are treated. Totally illegal of course but how serious is everybody about being pro active instead of just making noises!!!!????

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 102 in Discussion

RE cyprusishome : (...) Instead of blustering here making all sorts of allegations how many would take to the streets in protest at the way we are treated. Totally illegal of course but how serious is everybody about being pro active instead of just making noises!!!!???? (...)

It won't help, but... well said!

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 102 in Discussion

Name and shaming is the only way to go , Ozmen has publicly said he would do it through the star , all people have to do is get in touch with him ,some people have , proof is in the paper .!!!! Just as Ozmen

littlenige

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 102 in Discussion

" how many would take to the streets in protest at the way we are treated "

Hans I am supprised at yoU, THERE IS NO RIGHT OF PROTEST for Foreighners in trnc.

Hilltop

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 102 in Discussion

Ozmen works for the Star, which strangely enough is owned by the company that Marion Stokes was threatened by.

Funny old world, ain't it!!

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 102 in Discussion

Also for those that are unhappy please dont forget that you also have the HOMEBUYERS PRESSURE GROUP that you can talk to at Pia bella hotel every tuesday , you can also E/mail Marian marian@ayza.net

please sign

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... index.html

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 17:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 102 in Discussion

oops not working try this one .

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petitioncyprus/signatures.html

PtePike

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 102 in Discussion

Msg 19 :"I am told that Cyprus Today have run a story about the British couple arrested at Ercan on arrival because their builder claimed they had stolen his paint pots. Male banged up for 3 days before he was told why. Paint pots were found in the shed. Nothing to do with holding back money re snagging of course. Male now on bail. Beware what lengths builders will go to."

Somehow I don't feel I have to know any more about this incident than to assume there would be grounds for racial discrimination, wrongful arrest and false imprisonment. Even ignoring the fact that it's clearly a civil matter, wher's the evidence and coroborration? Mickey Mouse Plod strikes again.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 102 in Discussion

Dutch - you are right. We can't even get enough names on the petition, let alone arrange a peaceful protest. We all need to act pro-actively and support changes in the law that protect buyers. Trying to get the Specific Performance Law changed is one of them. Please sign the petition. If anyone wants a paper copy of the petition to collect signatures then please email me:

sibellehodge@hotmail.com and I can email it to you. Or you can collect a copy from the HBPG surgerys at Pia Bella on Tuesdays 12pm - 3pm. The only way to make a positive change is for us all to support each other. If anyone has tried to sign the petition, but has had problems, please email me and I will put your name on.

Sibel

Petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petitioncyprus/index.html

PtePike

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 102 in Discussion

Msg 12: "...people are very fickle here! Very quick to jump on the name and shame boundwagon but hey lets forget what this guy has done to hundreds of property owners! Im sure a 'professional' publication such as this got 'both sides of the story' as this was his biggest gripe when everyone was naming and shaming him! Lets see!"

The only people who try to fearlessly name and shame put themselves at great risk. Turkish Cypriot journalists have been victims of firebombings, assault, wrongful arrest and murder. Beyond the expat world of brandy sours at the harbour and barbecues, that's the kind of vicious and corrupt banana republic the TRNC has become.

PtePike

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 102 in Discussion

RTC: "THERE IS NO RIGHT OF PROTEST for Foreighners in trnc."

Nige, is that stated in the "constitution" or is it a "law"? Because someone said earlier the TRNC wasn't racist. Either way people should get themselves on to the streets after tipping off the papers and TV stations with the time and place. That's how to get things done here.

The butler

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 102 in Discussion

Hi All,

I wonder if Ozmen from Cyprus Star who's surname is Safa will put Medviews name at the top of the list for naming and shaming. I very much doubt it, I have written to this gentleman privately and pointed out to him that he should be putting their own house in order first but I received a very negative reply, something along the lines that although they were owned by the same person they were different companies. So that is how you get out of your responsibilities, it is so easy in the TRNC.

Steve

flightholiday

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 102 in Discussion

Steve - "So that is how you get out of your responsibilities, it is so easy in the TRNC."

That comment may be a little unfair; if he proves a good journalist then he might be unbiased, if not and he bends to "proprietors pressure" then that is a different thing.

Many Turkish Cypriots do speak out and try to act correctly, some Brit's do that too.

Some do not that is the nature of humans the world over.

doughnuts40

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 102 in Discussion

Flightholiday - That comment may be a little unfair; if he proves a good journalist then he might be unbiased, if not and he bends to "proprietors pressure" then that is a different thing.

Of course he will not be unbiased. His father runs this business and is actively involved in it. Ali Safa is not just Ozmen's father but also his employer so he cannot possibly be unbiased. Medview homes have treated people terribly - yet they are the ones naming and shaming other companies? Come on guys am I the only one seeing the whole picture here? The Star is a third rate rag and everyone that purchases a copy just puts more money in the coffers of this man that still today HAS NOT TRANSFERRED ANY TITLE DEEDS! Will the Star please print a reason why or NAME AND SHAME MEDVIEW HOMES? Afterall the Star only require ONE person to complain to get it on the front page.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 102 in Discussion

Special Constable Pikey,

Isn't that called conduct likely to cause a breach of the Peace?

only joking! Some of us do!

wyn

cocos

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 102 in Discussion

You could always name and shame Medview in the Cyprus Today?

Pipie

Message Posted:
09/09/2008 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 102 in Discussion

re Medview and there maintenenece fees , does anyone know what owners receive for charges i am keeping an open mind here just curious ??? !!!

fire starter

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 06:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 102 in Discussion

remember that all tc's are related. name and shame will not help anyone. all you are going to get is a big load of trouble. tread on one cousins toes and they will close ranks on you.

Skogsy

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 102 in Discussion

Pipie

I pay my way in my well build Medview home in Esentepe. I dont complain at the 3.50 GBP per day that I have to pay for the completed and functional infrastructure, the maintenance of the infrastructure, the site security and the grounds that are being developed into what will be a very nice area once matured, the access and continued contribution by Medview towards the general running of the site. There is always somebody there from Medview to help out should there be a small problem. It does seem a lot at 1200 quid a year but as all things new there are uncertainties that require addressing and sometimes unforseen costs that cant be predicted.

A big jump from the 450 I will agree but what it is, it is.

We cant stay here for free.

Skogsy

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 102 in Discussion

Thanks skogsy .

Obviously you are mostly happy with all so that is nice to know , would have liked to have seen exactly what you get for the £1,200 a year , pools , sauna , hot tubs ? how many apartments etc

Cheers

MartinMedview

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 102 in Discussion

First let me declare an interest. I am the Company Secretary of the majority of the Medview companies in the UK. I also contribute to cyprus star. I also own a property on a Medview Development

On the question of deeds cyprus star this Friday will carry an article confirming that the owners on our development at Edremit will be receiving their individual deeds next week. It will also state that by the end of the year owners on 5 of our developments will have received their deeds.

It is very easy to blame the developer for delays in the issue of deeds. The steps that have to be taken to get to that point are, I understand, many and the usual nightmare of bureaucracy in North Cyprus does mean that it can take years. However, some of you may be aware that a Pressure Group has been set up in the South because there are cases there where deeds have not been issued 20 or 30 years after purchase. So credit where credit is due. The North is actually quicker than the South.

The position with regard to maintenance fees has been explained at length to all Medview owners. When the developments were first being planned about 4 years ago someone somewhere made a guestimate that fees would be 475 sterling per year. Since that time I do not have to tell you the level of inflation in North Cyprus. The minimum wage has increased numerous times, the cost of water and electricity has escalated. Yes, it was necessary to double the maintenance fees in the year 2007/8. However, because the developer, and that means Ali Safa, has agreed to personally subsidise the fees there has been no increase on any of our developments for the year 2008/9. Fees have been kept the same notwithstanding the 12% increase in minimum wage which has just been announced, the 100% in electricity since the beginning of the year. I could go on. As Ali Safa says, if you buy a Rolls Royce then you have to expect the service costs of a Rolls Royce and not a Ford Fiesta. Given the constraints of Cyprus Medview Developments are well run. Everyone has water, everyone has electricity, there is on site management to give peace of mind to those who only get to be at their properties a few weeks a year.

Medview makes no apology for using every means to "punish" those who do not pay their fair share of the maintennace charge. Why should the few expect the many to carry their share?

Medview has promoted the setting up of owners' committees to put forward the views of owners and to be a part of the process by which decisions are made.

Yes, Medview has made mistakes but we have tried to learn from experience.

Any open minded people out there who want to see the truth should try and visit a Medview Development. You will see good quality finish, immaculate pools, pleasant communal areas which are, in the main, well tended and clean. There are Meview Developments in Bogaz, Girne, Lapta, Esentepe and Edremit. Take your pick.

fire starter

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 102 in Discussion

all on pre '74 turkish title are they martin?

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 102 in Discussion

Thanks Martin , that would be nice i for one would like to visit .

I think this type of response from Martin is quite a positive step forward debating from both owners and company representatives and it should be aplauded .

Well done.

Skogsy In the meantime would be nice know info re message 40

Cheers

The butler

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 102 in Discussion

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MARTIN,

When did you last go to Esentepe? The site particularly E block is a mess the pool is filthy and leaking and the landscaping is non existant. Anyone who reads this board go and look for yourselves. Martin you are talking about Sunrise Beach Club which I admit is beautiful but then what would you expect when that is where the majority of Medview staff have their holiday homes including Mr Safa. Also where is our onsite manager? we don't have one, we are paying for one but she visits once a week if we are lucky.

Steve

Skogsy

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 102 in Discussion

Hi Pipie

Yes. I am extremely happy with what I have.

As I said I get peace of mind for three pounds fifty, or whatever at the exchange rate, per day and everything works and looks good.

3 very nice pools. No Hot tubs, saunas and to be honest they can be more problems than they provide joy so it doenst bother me one bit. Just saps the funds that are already being used for the upkeep and in now, as Martin says, very difficult times with the costs of everything going up and up not the best use of money.

There are appartments on the site but I dont know how many. Never actually bothered to count them.

I think I see where you are going with this and agree that some developments have tennis courts and shops and bars and whatever and the costs maybe not quite as high as some Medview costs but I didnt want to live there. I chose where I am because it didnt have any of those facilities. I like peace and quiet. My choice.

Skogsy

Lazy days

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 102 in Discussion

Pipie is obviously on a personal crusade against one company but she is going about it all the wrong way, she is putting peoples backs up sooooo much, fire starter in message 37 hit it on the nail, we all need to be aware that we are not in good old england and english values mean nothing here, Turks and Turkish Cypriots will not let it lie and the laws of the TRNC will not protect, while she can spit her rhetoric from afar she would be better minded to remember that we live here as guests in their country and I for one do not wish to change things to much, as this is one of the reasons WE moved here - to get away from all things english.

It is also noticable recently how Pipie has jumped on the HBPG bandwagon, plugging it at every turn, and yet she has never come out and said exactly what her gripe is and to whom it alludes, perhaps she is just one of these people who has a personal grudge come on lets hear it, put up or shut up

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 102 in Discussion

Lazydays .

Why do you accuse me of jumping on the HOMEBUYERS PRESSURE GROUP band waggon, surely i am only promoting a group that can help people out there , maybe you have a problem with someone who can seek advice , ?maybe you have a problem with someone who supports justice and fair doings ?

, maybe you have a problem with buyers questioning there rights , ?

Maybe you have a problem where people are not allowed to air there views or ask questions , because all of you're posts clearly show you have a problem with me . Mmmmmmm .

Up to now Lazydays youre arguments against me sum up that you support a culture where you think that buyers have no rights to complain and discuss issues/concerns ,

you promote me as someone who whingers /moans , i would clearly look at you're on this if i were you as there are serious issues warranting people to speak out , we are putting up as you say look at the responses .and long may it continue .

you are entitled to youre opinion , and i am entitled to mine and i will continue to continue so to speak , and neither you or anyone else will silence me on airing my views .

My other responses are as follows .

I also am a guest in the TRNC I have respect and i can say that i adhere to all rules and regulations .

However that does not mean that i can be ripped off, threatened , intimidated and treated unfairly or does it ? you seem to indicate that i should .

I for one never compare english values with any other country but i can say i am proud to be English .

Regarding you accusing me on a personal crusade and that i am going about all in the wrong way , how do you know what way one should go ?!!!!

Regarding me putting people's backs up i ask now who ?!!!

willie w

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 102 in Discussion

I want to ask how people say things to one another on these message boards and the personal attacks are so obveous, there are five or six people always slagging each other off on here how do youse not go away and let things lie

cos in my eyes you are all just trouble makers !!!!!!!

now go away and let us be in peace, pipie, punk rocker you are the worst

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 102 in Discussion

welcome Willie noticed you have just joined Mmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!

The butler

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 16:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 102 in Discussion

Hi All,

I have contributed to this thread and had my say but I think it is time to put this one to bed because as usual it is getting personal.

Steve.

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 102 in Discussion

Thanks skogsy , good postive post . cheers

cocos

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 102 in Discussion

Whats wrong with jumpong on the HBPG bandwagon? They are the ONLY people you can rely on here to give you honest advice and help. They are the ONLY people here who do this in their own time at their own expense of petrol etc to help others. They are the ONLY people here campaining to get laws changed for your benefits. They are the ONLY people here who actually care about the dire mess alot of people are in.

littlenige

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 102 in Discussion

Here here cocos

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 102 in Discussion

Cocos i agree entirly ,

Why an earth people like Lazydays constantly post negatives surrounding my efforts for fair play , i do not know unless they either enjoy seeing other people's downfalls concerning bad practice or associate and support the culture that does ,

either way i do not intend to respond any more to Lazydays as quite frankly his/her comments are just out to attack , clearly not capable of debating

CJtill

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 102 in Discussion

Martin,

Please enlighten us as to which other 5 Medview sites are likely to receive their title deeds by the end of the year.

littlenige

Message Posted:
10/09/2008 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 102 in Discussion

None it is a vile and untrue rumour

fire starter

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 08:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 102 in Discussion

first you all complain about not having title deed and ptp. second you want to name and shame. do you not look past today? cyprus is a very small place.tread on the wrong toes and your card is marked. we have lots of tc friends, if we need anything they help us. why are you alienating yourselves from the local comunity? They can help and are willing to for their friends. do you not think forums may be monitored by people other than admin? when your being harsh with the woman in one office, please remember she is related to the guy in the next office you need to visit. just think before you speak. this is not the uk, with uk laws. you are here as a guest.keep out of trouble, deal with people politely, be patient and everything will fall into place.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 102 in Discussion

30 posts on and I will repeat my comment - name and shame is the wrong way, especially in this one man crusade pipie seems to have. Many of us have issues with builders etc and in my opinion pipie you are doing none of us any favours. As has been stated most builders, lawyers etc read or have people read these BB's for them. As you appear to have not made any effort to get inside the Cypriot psychie you are causing yourself problems for the future, as fire starter says above - "your card will be marked"!

Most of us agree that Marian and co at HBPG are doing a good job, however I am sure if you talk to Marian she would advise you to change you mode of attack on this BB.

I have just read the above by FS and I am sure I have used most of the phrases myself many times in the past. I seriously urge you to change tack because as you can read above you are loosing the support of people on this forum quite quickly. I cannot remember how long you have been here but we have been over two and half years trying to sort mess of ours. Another member above has been over 4 years and I believe has had problems that make yours into trivia (no not Amaranta).

I still go back to my earlier post, if you are so angry try to organise a mass protest. Yes has been stated it is illegal for non Cypriots but since when does the law stop anything happening here. You know who to discuss this option with and done the right way who knows would turn up.

Good luck

David

Pipie

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 102 in Discussion

Firestarter/ cyprusishome .

If you feel that in order for me to speak my mind my card will be marked , well it is no wonder that there are ongoing problems , if you advise me to as you put it change my tact , freedom of speech comes to mind here . I for one only wanted what was in my contract along with others , however if freedom of speech is not welcomed then my posts on this subject will be refrained , have a good day both .

joandjelly

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 102 in Discussion

Pipie

The last two posters are actually trying to help you by giving you good solid advice. You should think about the fact that they live here and know the locals and how things work. Perhaps you should take a step back and re-read what they have said. It isn't about freedom of speech it's about respect for your hosts. If you make friends with a Cypriot they will be your friend for life. It seems that you want to go the opposite route and I fear you will only achieve a lot of heartache and grief.

Jo

johnsovx

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 102 in Discussion

I was thinking of buying in the north, but with all these reports i must admit i have second thoughts.

Is this maint charge scam the norm or has anyone any positives.

Would be grateful any advice.

puppylover

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 102 in Discussion

Vic.....do not be put off buying...there are many positives.

It can be a minefield buying in TRNC but if you take the advise of the many who have done it, do your homework and question everything you could end up as one of the positives.

My hubby and I spent 5 years doing our homework, numerous visits etc before we bought and I guess we were one of the lucky one's that found an excellent builder and have to say after 6 months living here, it's the best thing we have ever done.

Rogerdoger

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 102 in Discussion

A lot of threats going on here, Pipie, is correct, it's called freedom of speech, maybe some people should look the meaning up, and refrain from the threats

Pipie,

Well done,

sobeit

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 102 in Discussion

Rolls Royce service? Paying for Rolls Royce service and getting Trotters independant Robin reliant. So if you can put the maintenance up by 100% which was signed for on contracts where is our money for Medviews late finish?

Why won't the builders sort out the settlement cracks?

Why are the pools not cleaned and are not fit to swim in?

Every year it is the same excuses too hot for planting used too much water so have to cut back in other areas.Rolls Royce service thats a hoot.

Can you hand on heart say that prospective buyers won't be promised the use of all facilities and then denied them.

what would you say to new buyers that in 2009 the maintenance wont go up again?

punk rocker

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 102 in Discussion

I have said from day one that we must approach things properly in a reasonable fashion and this has not happened in some peoples cases here in TRNC and on this board these people continue to whinge incessantly instead of trying to be constructive they are being destructive, and believe me Dodger you would only realise this if you knew who and what you were dealing with, "stirrers" as will be proven soon

girne 29

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 102 in Discussion

Pipie

With all the talk of lawyers and builders taking notes of who is saying what. and 'cards being marked' .

Maybe for your own good, going by the sentiments expressed here.it might be as well to keep quiet,and let things cool down,remember, where money is involved things can become desparate and people sometimes say things they dont really mean.

As for Pipie putting people off buying, the unusually vehement tone of this thread against one person has probably done more to dissuade anyone reading it, from having anything to do with buying in TRNC, than Pipie could ever have done.

Reminds me of when Princess Di died and a kind of mob rule took over that almost

put at risk anyone who didnt agree she was a saint.

Hector

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 102 in Discussion

I find the remark 'tread on the wrong toes and your card is marked' both threatening and sinister. In other words keep your mouth shut or else.

I also find the remark 'If you make friends with a Cypriot they will be your friend for life.' very patronising and a massive overgeneralisation. Obviously doesn't apply to any other nationality then.

cocos

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 102 in Discussion

I agree with HEctor. By not naming and shaming you are basically allowing the threats/failure to honor contracts/blackmail/withholding title deeds to carry on unhindered in favour of the developers. It's just sweeping it under the carpet and saying its acceptable. Do you really want that? By making the information public it shows that we won't put up with it any more and may make people think twice about doing it. It will also make future buyers aware of the problems. Why should people put up or shut up when they havent got what they were promised or have been subjected to all sorts of things purely and simply for investing here? Until these bad apples realise that this is not the way to do business, it will carry on.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 102 in Discussion

Hector I'm sorry you thought I was being patronising when I said that if you make friends with a Cypriot they will be your friend for life. I meant this genuinely. All too often I see people trying to sort out their property problems with threats and intimidation (yes it goes both ways), shouting and swearing and then people complain that their builder won't do anything for them. I have had loads of problems with my house/site but have tried to deal with the builder respectfully at all times. Nearly 3 years on from taking possession he is still dealing with issues as they arise.

Name and shame by all means if this is the only course of action left open to you but be aware of the possible consequences.

Skogsy

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 102 in Discussion

Jonsovx

There are no Maint Scams. The costs for living on a development are predictive costs at the begining at the off plan stage and move to more realistic costs as time moves on and the build completes. If you are planning on living here full time then consider living in a home away from a development. Then you just pay for what you get or not.

If you just plan to invest in a holiday home then you have to pay for the 30+ weeks you are not here. Or it isnt rented. 1200 quid for grass is expensive I agree but have a look around and see where else grass grows. Knowhere. So the money goes toward other things. Jees! it was hard enough to get a lovely lawn in the UK let alone trying to have "my english garden" here.

I see a lot of postings about the cost of the charges and how expensive this or that has become but I have yet to see any posts that say "thanks for a great few years. Now it is time to move on and I will take my profit". And before you all start shouting, there are loads who have sold and taken the money.

I flipped three but am still here.

I think that buying with your heart is right if that is the kind of person you are but buy with your pocket is better advice.

Easy to fall in love with this place.

Sorry guys for going way off post here but trying to change a great place into little comfortable "where we were before" place just will not work. Adapt.

Skogs

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 102 in Discussion

Unfortunatley there is no helping some people. By offering advice on how to better approach things is not meant as threat or an attack on free speech. Just read my whole post and previous ones on this subject.

I will reiterate, the culture here is totally alien to UK and unless you adapt and take some advice from people like HBPG about your methodology you will live a very unhappy life.

Perhaps if pipie came along and listened to some of the real problems that many of us have she would then realise what life is really like here.

Good luck and please, please change your attitude before it is too late.

David

Hector

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 102 in Discussion

I can understand where you are coming from re attitude. Keeping calm and polite is absolutely correct when in dispute with anyone. Your posts though intimate that both sides are honest and reasonable people and can work out an amicable solution. Does this apply when dealing with corrupt or lying builders/lawyers/estate agents? Should people simply turn the other cheek? Should it be acceptable to be conned or defrauded because the culture is different and hey if you make a friend of a Cypriot you have a friend for life?

How many Cypriots also have UK passports? Would they find the same acceptable in the UK?

You'll be telling me next it's ok because 'this is North Cyprus' and shrug shoulders.

A grumpy old Hector on his soapbox

girne 29

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 102 in Discussion

I found on my travels that in general outlook ,if not in customs, most nationalities were similar.I think this Cypriot psyche thing is a bit of a red herring, We all of us, TC,GC. Turk,Northern European have very similar ideas on what is right and what is wrong. and also all nationalities will have those that take advantage.I dont think any nationality likes being shouted at, and most prefer the softly softly approach.

Likewise,all nationalities show frustration when the softly softly approach doesnt work.

One of the reasons many on the BB's have been deriding the UK,is that we were being asked to be PC all the time,go softly softly on things like stop and search,keep quiet on immigration matters for fear of being called rascist,always the softly softly , bend over backwards approach to young tearaways just to prove how much we understood them. Cant have it both ways.

Finally ,i find it disturbing that users of this BB should be advised to keep quiet as they are being watched or in case they tread on toes and get their cards marked,rather than being told to keep quiet because they are,say,abusive.

And who, by the way, is doing the card marking,and for what end.?

Skogsy

Message Posted:
11/09/2008 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 102 in Discussion

Grumps.

And who guards the guards?

Skogs

johnsovx

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 06:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 102 in Discussion

puppy lover

thanks for info, ou are already confirmimg the way we were thinking. We have heard positives as well as the negatives but must admit this forum is enlightening.

Thanks for reply

johnsovx

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 06:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 102 in Discussion

skogsy

cheers mate

i am living in the arabian gulf and admit expats can go OTT with complaing, we are known for it.

I will call this coming feb and as you good people so honestly share your experiences I will monitor this forum regularly and use the info while viewing.

My intention is not to make a fast buck but to have a comfortable and hassle free home/life.

My intial agent contact leaves me cautious, an aprtment advertised on the net at 59k becomes 65k when you ring up, they quote a "typing error" mmmmm.

But thanks to all on this forum good stuff.

Turbo

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 06:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 102 in Discussion

I mentioned earlier, TRNC and main. Charges are new to each other.

They need to familiarize themselves with how it works, builders, home owners and buyers.

I am positing a link here that gives you some sort of idea how they are 'Supposed " to work.

Its a monthly payment every homeowner has to pay whether they are there full time or part time.

Maintenance has to be carried out 12 months a year. you pay, the money goes into an account, there is a treasurer , there are meetings, there are budgets, there are priorities and there are statements of what is paid out and balance of what is left, plans etc. etc..

Sorry if I missed a few items, here where I live, its a way of life, some places HOA (Home Owners Association) dues vary greatly depending on the type of building you live in and the services provied, these fees are determined at time of purchase.

To work right every owner must pay monthly, you work it in with your mortgage payments.

I would be very wary going into an estate without a definite plan.

Not sure if I am making sense here is a link that may give you a bit of an idea how it works ( I know its not TRNC, but its jsut to give guidelines I hope you all find it useful and beneficial).

http://jeremiafroyland.com/home/the-hidden-costs-of-homeowner-association-hoa-dues/

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 102 in Discussion

hector and cocos. threatening and sinister? if you can't take a bit of friendly advice, where i am only trying to help you, then you need to wake up and smell the turkish coffee! this is cyprus not the uk. if you read my previous posts you would know that all the tc's are related. upset one and you upset the whole village so to speak! only tc's work in the goverment offices so figure it our for yourself. i did just write a post re the police force here, maybe you should read that. then your eyes may be a little more open, and your mouth's a little more shut. i am only trying to help you!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 102 in Discussion

FS,

I have just looked and it would appear neither hector nor cocos live here.

Unless you have lived here for some time, us over two half years, you cannot understand or fairly comment on life here.

What FS says is 100% fact and that is why those of us with genuine problems refrain from the name & shame game because the consequences are not worth considering. You must remember that the ex Uk contingent amounts to less than 5% of the population and although some think they rule the country cos they have money, do not believe it.

With some of the attitudes that prevail among certain groups it is hardly surprising that they regularly moan they are being ripped off etc. To me that is pay back.

I could write here, and even name the people who will choose to denegrate my comments, so go ahead children.

johnsovx

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 102 in Discussion

CHEERS WELL DONE

girne 29

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 102 in Discussion

Cyprisishome

Firestarter is to be congratulated in explainig the situation so well and with modertate language,message 78.

Anyone contemplating purchasing and living in NC ,will have a clear picture of what to expect.

While also agreeing somewhat with what you say ,I must disagree with how you say it.

When talking about naming and shaming,

phrases' like card will be marked ', 'you are being watched',

and in your last message,''the consequences are not worth considering''.

or suggesting some are being ripped off as some sort of ''payback''.

You checking up on how long some have lived in TRNC.and saying one ''cannot fairly comment'' if one hasnt lived here for a certain lenght of time.

How long must you be here before you can comment.? If I had lost my life savings in Amaranta I think I would comment even if I was a day here.I might be wrong in what I was saying, then you would be entitled to correct me , but not to tell me not to comment

and then to end with 'I could write and even name the people.''

Need to go ,am in the middle of '1984'

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 102 in Discussion

I can see both sides of the argument here. It's a diificult situation. I do think though that people should pay some attention to what firestarter and Cyprusishome are saying here. Cultures do act differently and the TC culture is going to be different to the UK.

let me explain:

There are many elements to culture but I would just like to point out one. This is the rules versus relationship dynamic. I would suggest that the UK is driven by a rules culture and the TCs are driven by a relationship culture. This is going to create differences and potential conflict between the two parties.

In a rules culture there is an obligation to adhere to standards which are universally agreed to by the culture in which one lives. "Do not lie" Do not steal. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.... and so on. So in Northern Cyprus we expect there to be rules, they should be upheld and their should be no exceptions whatsoever.

Rule based conduct has a tendancy to resist exceptions that might weaken the rule. There is a fear that once you start to make exceptions for illegal conduct the system will fall collapse.

Relationship cultures focus on the exceptional nature of present circumstances. The person is not "a citizen" but my friend, brother, husband, child or person of unique importance to me with special claims on my love or my hatred. I must therefore sustain, protect or discount this person no matter what the rules say. This is key, no matter what the rules say.

Both people on each side can consider each other corrupt. A rule based person will say 'they cannot be trusted because they will always help their friends" and a relationship based culture will say "you cannot trust them because they would not even help a friend"

In reality all cultures use a mixture of both a rules and relationship, but most cultures have a preference.

In a relationship based culture, people are likeley to protect a friend if he/she has broken the law. Their logic is 'my friend needs my help more than ever now that he/she is in serious trouble with the law" People used to living in rule based cultures would regard such an attitude as corrupt. They would say "what if we started to lie on behalf of those close to us?, society would fall apart." Of course this is a very valid argument but relationship cultures are based on the logic of heart and human friendship.

If you want to get things changed you have to become good friends with the TCs. This is how they work. It's a simple as that.

As we are guests in Northern Cyprus we need to understand their culture and work within the dynamics of that culture. That doesn't mean we sit back and do nothing, it means that we work within their system to get change in the context of property.

To write this piece I have borrowed from the work of Cultural professors Frans Trompenaars and Charles Hampden turner

Chessman

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 102 in Discussion

I guess it could be the old cliche; it's not what you say, it's the way you say it. Albeit a little simplistic, maybe

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 102 in Discussion

Chessman - it's more a case of not what you know but who you know. And who you know is based on developing strong relationships.

I tried to get in to the Mercure hotel last week. They are very strict about who comes in. The security guard escorted me to the entrance. He looked all authoritarian and serious. He was trying to establish what I was doing at the hotel. I was desperately tring to tell him I was meeting some friends but i could not think of the word for friend. Suddnely i remembered the word Kardes which is brother in Turkish. His mood completely changed. He shook my hand, gave me his name and he asked for mine. His serious face turned to a smile. It's all about relationships.

Chessman

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 102 in Discussion

Blimey ILC, I have never had that problem there although I haven't been there for two weeks. I shall definately remember that word for brother, though!

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 102 in Discussion

Hi Chessman

Kardes is indeed important. As Cyprusishome says they all see each other as one extended family brotherhood, sisterhood

Sorry mate I got it wrong it wasn't the Mercure it was the Merit hotel. Don't know if you have been there. It's a wonderful hotel with an absolutely fantastic beach. Most of their guests buy an all inclusive deal so they are keen to ensure the facilities are used by the guests and they are very guarded about outsiders sneaking in without paying. It's a bit exclusive

cocos

Message Posted:
12/09/2008 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 102 in Discussion

Here here Girne29. It makes no difference whether someone lives here or not to make a comment. Yes, I agree that things are who you know and you dont want to be upsetting people unncessasarily but by keeping quiet about theh bullying that goes on here by developers you are just making the situation worse. Telling people who have suffered not to go public just encourages this type of behaviour and makes the bullies think they can get away with it. I agree not to name and shame lightly but sometimes there is no other course of action left open.

fire starter

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 07:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 102 in Discussion

ilovecyprus re post 82.

i do agree that in the uk things are not always as they seem. even in a rule based culture if you have a friend in the right department you can still get away with things. unjust, unfair but thats how life is. i know many wealthy people who have been connected to a friend in a planning department, who have got things passed when others have been refused.

our eldest son, years ago go into trouble and got taken up infront of the magistrate. who happened that day to be one of my good friends husbands. our son got let off. i was angry at the time, but friends hubby just said he knew it was a stupid mistake and we were good parents, and that his own kids who were a bit younger would probably do stupid things at some point as well. so friendships do also have a place in rule based cultures.

maybe we should look at it as in the uk rules=80% friendship =20%, where in the trnc the figure reverses to rules =20% and friendship/family = 80%.

this could explain the cultural differences.

if we had lost loads of money here with one of the developers, i would be persuing them through the legal route and saying very little. if the legal route doesn't work then. as we say in london, there are always ways and means.

Turbo

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 08:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 89 of 102 in Discussion

A good example that it doesn't always work that way of who you know,, yes,some of the time I guess it does.

In our case it didn't, I was showing my girlfriend the old town Lefkosa taking photos and looking around the small side streets.

Out of no where a couple of youngsters jumped out grabbed the bag off her shoulder and ran.

They saw that I was limping,( back surgery disc removed).

Anyway long story short, we went to the police station to report it, ended up being treated as criminals.

What we didn't know and most of you should know is, some people take out travel insurance, then think its easy to go make a false report so you can claim back on travel insurance.

Well you cant do that, the police have cottoned on to that scam, so the innocent get put into the same category and are suspect.

We didn't have travel insurance, so not only did we lose many pounds worth of cameras and personal stuff, we ended up being treated as criminals. Separated, statements taken , searched..

Having family that knows people in the police dept. did not help one bit. It was awful, we were searched, our car was searched, people were questioned and our steps retraced.

The chief of police is for real, unless you know someone that is really well known(and can pull strings) be prepared to go through all this.

Its good to know in one sense that they are doing their job, but at the same time, it wasn't good to be treated as a con artist.

They were very thorough, good to know that they do really try.

On another occasion, i stopped for two seconds to look at an item in a window, next thing I know , my mobile was stolen while i was a few feet away. Do you think i was going to and report that and go through all that again.,..no way.

Bottom line, anyone thinking that they can get away with filing a false report, think again.

ps, my deceased uncle used to be a big (huge) shot in the police dept.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 90 of 102 in Discussion

thats a terrible experience Turbo.

Each culture and each person is capable of both rules and relationships. It works on a continuum (scale). For example, Germany will probably be more rule cultured than the UK and somewhere lik the Philipines would be more relationship orientated than Cyprus.

As Firestarter says Individuals who live in a rule based culture might protect a loved one in certain situations. Context also plays apart.

Anyway it is interesting that people have fouind some counter examples. I was pleased to test a theory on here only to find it wanting. It's a good learn for me.

Turbo

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 91 of 102 in Discussion

I forgot to mention that I was almost punched in the face by one of the head honchos, when he asked if i was TC or US citizen .

The fist stopped inches from my face.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 92 of 102 in Discussion

wow yurbo if that is how you ae treated what hope to the rest of us have.

SO sorry to lear of your bad experiance.

Marilyn

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 93 of 102 in Discussion

The original NAME & SHAME list was published on the Home Buyers Pressure Group Website. It was taken off because of threats from people on the list.

The list is still at this link

http://www.north-cyprus-property.org/name_and_shame.htm

Lov

Marilyn

fire starter

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 94 of 102 in Discussion

turbo, i am suprised this happened to you in lefkosa. maybe thats why the police were not so willing to believe you. we spend a lot of time in lefkosa and have never had a bad experience. do you live here or were you just visiting?

our friend had his phone stolen while out in gonyeli at a restaurant. one minute it was on the table the next it was gone. left it a few days then another friend called the phone. while someone stood in the restaurant, the phone rang, culprit was caught. it was the waiter.

mickey rourke

Message Posted:
16/09/2008 03:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 95 of 102 in Discussion

Had a smile on my face when I read the original post

oh well, you never know in this lil ole country

You are always better to face things head on and talk them over with your developer, usually there are 2 sides to a story and things have to begin some place.

As for turbo's plight I am real sorry mate that is not a nice way to be treated by officialdom but i am sure it was a one off incident, hope so anyway !!

Name and shame is a dangerous way to go unless you have a rock solid case an out here i doubt you do unless it is one of the very big headline cases, i know plenty people who have had to accept less than they were contracted to as the small print usually has a loop hole or the builder just shrugs and walks away, and it costs a lot more to take out a court action and years to resolve, but if they hit you with action it will be done quick i bet.

Turbo

Message Posted:
16/09/2008 04:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 96 of 102 in Discussion

In answer to message 94, the small side streets of Lefkosa is a place that breeds all sorts, just be very aware when you are walking down those narrow streets taking photos of old doorways etc.. you are being watched.

I was being a typical tourist.

As for my phone being stolen, I didnt even know it was gone until someone driving next to me warned me that the back door on my car was open. I couldn't understand why.

While I window shopped someone opened the door grabbed the phone and didnt want to slam the door. It makes sense now why the woman sitting outside her door was looking the way she did, she saw it all but knew to keep quiet.

Just hang on to your belongings, gone are the days of leaving your doors open at night.

Just think Oliver twist.

fire starter

Message Posted:
16/09/2008 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 97 of 102 in Discussion

i am wondering whether people are crossing the border from the south, commiting these crimes and jumping back over there? i can assure you this is not usual for lefkosa. i have heard this stuff from the south as they have a lot of bulgarians trading fake goods on the streets.

we spend loads of time in lefkosa and yes i look like the typical tourist , even though i live in the trnc. i have never heard of this before.

i have heard of this in girne, and this happened to a friend in lemar suppermarket but not in lefkosa.

Turbo

Message Posted:
20/09/2008 07:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 98 of 102 in Discussion

Fire starter, the culprits were definitely young mainlanders born in Cyprus.

Have you ever walked around Kyrenia gate in Lefkosa? take a walk into that little arcade area to the left as you head up the hill.

The South never had a high crime rate before either, its called "progress".

Things change, with new generations comes new ways of life and drugs and money required to buy said drugs.

Sorry to sound so negative, but thats life.

Another example, all the thefts in the small villages, like Lapta, Ozankoy and surrounding areas. The arrested were mainlanders.

Just repeating what I read in the papers.

mickey rourke

Message Posted:
20/09/2008 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 99 of 102 in Discussion

As with every walk of life and every country thats life as they say

The trouble seems to stem from mainlanders and others coming here on the promise of work or having and losing jobs, then faced with having no money they resort to breaking and entering or bag snatching to steal what they can, the vast majority are caught and punished, and yes I know that is not much comfort to the people who suffered but I bet their success rate in apprehending the culprits will make some stop & think

PtePike

Message Posted:
20/09/2008 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 100 of 102 in Discussion

Turbo,

You should have a word with dy. She claims the mainlanders are actually Turkish Cypriot, not Turks.

Hector

Message Posted:
20/12/2008 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 101 of 102 in Discussion

Just wondered if anyone had anything new to add.

punk rocker

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 102 of 102 in Discussion

Hector sad 3 month old post ugh !!!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.