North Cyprus Tourist Board - [SALAMIS_2] New map updated with new excavations
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [SALAMIS_2] New map updated with new excavations

[SALAMIS_2] New map updated with new excavations

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Map

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
08/12/2010 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Today I made another full, long tour in Salamis (yes, thank you, I had quite a busy day ) to check all details on my new site map on location. That's how it should be done but this time I was lucky: I found the latest, exciting excavations (unidentified yet), which I will put on the map of course!

More news: I checked at the ticket office and in the Bedis Restaurant: there are no maps for sale (anymore) nor are they expected to be reprinted. The Salamis site has signs with "next you'll see...", but I find it incredible that no small locator maps are placed on the large signs! If you didn't study the Salamis site at home or in your hotel you have no idea where you are in this vast area (almost 2 by 1 km!). A suggestion near the entrance with a short and a long route doesn't make much sense once you are surrounded by acacias (by the way: once planted by the colonial Britishers), sand and "old stones"...

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
08/12/2010 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Re : Msg 1,

"...If you didn't study the Salamis site at home or in your hotel you have no idea where you are in this vast area (almost 2 by 1 km!)..."

Yes, it is not for the faint-hearted.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

In case you visit Salamis for the first time and walk the full route: 1. You need water and a small lunch - there's nothing for sale on the site. 2. You can have your lunch anywhere in the old sand, but if you're looking for 2010 luxury: there's only one picnic table (for six) available; location: LM10ba on my map. Behind the Temple of Zeus (proper Roman name: Jupiter) you can have a small picnic also, on a concreted area covering a ruin. Location: J17d.

More tips from the C44 readers?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Salamis. Old stones in Cyprus sand. Don't go if you don't know what you see. If you can't hear the old stones talk fascinating history in the real silence surrounding you...

Anyone interested in a "Salamis Walk" (a site map will be provided) with an explanation of the site and the true story about the "old stones"?

Mail me at < mcf.trnc@gmail.com > if you are interested and give me two or three dates between now and the end of January - I'll try to make a small group.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Updated agenda of the "Historical Walks" here (click this URL) ▶ [ is.gd/i5FGL ]

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Error in the URL in msg 5: updated agenda of the "Historical Walks" here (click this URL) ▶ [ http://is.gd/i5FGL ]

ianwfs

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

I'm amazed that there isn't a map available. How on earth can you explore a site as large as that without one. When I did the research for my web site, it was invaluable, especially when I explored off the marked areas. I'm sure I would have got lost without it. In fact I almost got lost even with it!

Sadly I didn't keep the map, as it was fairly battered after my trips there, but I do have a photo of a location map that was standing on a post. It was not to scale, and the locations were simplified, but it's better than nothing.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
09/12/2010 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

ianwfs: I've just finished version 1.0 draft 3 of my "Map of Salamis" and you'll receive a screen copy for your site, subject Salamis. I hope the map will help the visitors of your site (URL below) also!

http://www.whatson-northcyprus.com/interest/famagusta/salamis/salamis_index.htm

Regards, Hans Doeleman

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.