North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are police in TRNC armed? - Should police officer in UK be armed?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are police in TRNC armed? - Should police officer in UK be armed?

Are police in TRNC armed? - Should police officer in UK be armed?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

jakki

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Personally I believe officers in the UK should be armed - there's a war going on out there on the street.

Comments please.

tarry67

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

All police here in the trnc are armed, not that they use them in anger very often.

basheer

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

sorry to say this but anyone caught with a weapon should have his hand cut off and viewed on tv-this will soon put a stop to everyone carrying a weapon - no guns needed except where terrorist are active

YFred

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Bashir that is just about the most uncivilised suggestion I have heard, you must be from Saudi Arabia. Is it what they do there? And also how come the most notorious armed man is from there? As to arming all the police, just look at America and see what happens there. If you arm the police then all criminals will arm themselves automatically and with better weapons. You must be out your minds to even think it never mind suggesting it.

AndyLynnW

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

There are armed Police Officers on the streets 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. They are called Armed Response Vehicles, or ARV`s. In the event of an incident where the use of firearms by Police is deemed, or may be deemed, to be a reasonable response then they are sent. The "Normal" incidents that make up the bulk of calls are respnded to by non-armed Officers.

You cannot say "All Police should be armed". There are factors to take into account depending on the geographical location of the Officers. An example is that an Officer in the rural area of Cornwall does not need to be armed and cannot give an opinion on whether an Officer in Central Manchester should/should not be armed.He does not work that area.

The number of AVAILABLE armed Officers if required is more the answer. E.g more available armed Officers in Central manchester than in rural Cornwall.

yenibob

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

More armed officers may have been useful in very rural Cumbria quite recently.

Quarmby

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

yenibob

how would armed officers have changed the outcome of that dreadful incident?

deputydawg

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

I believe that there should be armed response and deterrent units but not wholesale as the safety record of the police with regard to weapons losses and negligent discharges is appalling due to a lack of sufficient training. The cost of high quality and constant training to safely arm all police would inevitably have to be paid for by further depletion of their numbers. Surely it is a question of balance and tactical deployment with more effort to deny availability of weapons and more severe punishments for suppliers and carriers ?. For a start, in this day and age, should shotguns be in individuals cabinets at home or in secure armouries ? I have experienced waiting for an armed response unit to get authority from HQ to take their weapons from the boot of their car whilst a farmer, with impunity, had a shotgun up my nostrils, and his wife was jabbing my arse with a two pronged pitchfork. It was a painfully long wait !

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Insane that anyone would suggest UK police be armed universally - we all know that there are too many in the force who take the shortest route to anything - ie: fifteen police to pin down one man - using a taser almost immediately rather than spend time talking someone 'down' - the man murdered on the tube train who was 100% entirely innocent is reason enough NOT to arm the Police - they have armed response units - that will suffice

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

I'm against Guns.

yenibob

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Well said Bill, difficult to argue with that proposition!

basheer

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Fred Yasar what do you suggust ,here in London knives are carried by kids as young as 13 who dont have a least moment of fear of being locked up and go to jail gladly ,so I agree guns is not a good idea except to respond to terrorist ,and jail is a pleasure in most counties so where is the turning point?if you take a knife off someone they replace it without hesitation and apply fear to the public,the fear of taking his hand off that carried the weapon may turn fear to them who wants to lose a hand, if I was a hooligan, I would refrain from carrying a weapon least i get caught and lose my hand!!so I would as a hooligan prefer to do without knives etc, I am not a Saudi just a Londoner thinking the future may come to that ,spoon feeding the bad is coming to an end,

Pugwash

Message Posted:
17/12/2010 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

I do not think TRNC Traffic police with the different coloured uniforms are armed??

bigOz

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 00:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Most police in Cyprus are armed but are not quarter as trigger happy as the poice in USA and UK! Irrespective of what training they get Police in UK have killed many innocent people because of false/wrong intelligence or "because they thought the other party was carrying a gun" when he was unarmed!

I agree with Yfred because I was in England during 70s and 80s just before the police started to carry guns. None of the gun violence of today existed then. Soon as UK police decided to arm themselves, gun use by the bad guys increased geometrically.

My personal opinion is - watching too much American police/violence films have induced the gun culture in UK, where many want to copy their American cousins. BRING ME THE HEAD OF AL PACINO! HIS FILMS WERE THE START OF ALL THIS!

YFred

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Basheer, I don't know if this is a surprise to you but most people who commit a crime they do so thinking they will not get caught. I have never heard of such a suggestion from even people who have lost relatives to such people. Has death penalty has not reduced murder in USA or any other country which is uncivilised enough to murder people for punishment for committing murder? Which is why it will not make a blind bit of difference. You will just have a bunch of disable people which the state will have to look after.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 03:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

The laws in England are so pathetic, that no-one hesitates to commit a crime. You are locked up for years if you steal money, but if you injure murder or disable a person, slap on the hand - good behaviour - out in a few months! Whilst in prison, three square, best medical and dental treatment available, plus can take a Degree if you wish. If this country didn't have such corrupt MP's and would grow some balls and sling out anyone who wants Sharia law, anyone who causes dissent, anyone who wants to walk around with their face covered, and so on and so forth - if giving someone ten years prison MEAN TEN YEARS - and whilst in prison, one would work five days a week inside the prison, earning a wage, EVERY PENNY OF WHICH would go to one's victim or victim's family, if a prison sentence meant anything other than a comfortable, bill free life - perhaps people would think twice about committing a crime in the first place.

Hippo

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 04:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Live by the sword die by the sword

matula

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Pugwash, There are no traffic police per se in the TRNC. They are just police. The different uniforms you see are their summer or winter rig!

YFred

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Good Morning MsGarnet, and how is Alf these days? Have you been to prison? Have you any idea what its like? Being locked up for 23.5 hours a day in wandswarth can't be that much fun. Ask Mr Assange, he will tell you all about it. Although I agree with you on one the fact that the Law is more protective of money and property than life. But other than that you really have no idea of what prison life is all about.

People reoffend becasue it is easier to make a living with a life of crime than without especially after the first conviction.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Every police officer in Western Australia is armed, they use the Glock 22 pistol, and I have no problems with this, they also have capsicum spray and Taser guns, but I HAVE a problem with the Taser guns, they seem to use them for any indiscretion and there seems to be an overkill when using them, not long ago one guy was tasered 42 times in one day, they don't want to use their guns so they go overboard with the taser, drunks get tasered, if you are acting in a difficult way you will get tasered,they seem to use them when they feel like it, NOT GOOD, New South Wales detectives were the most corrupt a few years ago, and went on a killing spree against known criminals, if you get the Australian movie Animal Kingdom it will give you an idea of how the police acted against criminals. as I said we do not have a lot of incidents of police shootings in W.A, anyone found armed in public can face 5 to 10 years in jail,

Robert

Hector

Message Posted:
18/12/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Where can I get a copy of the film 'Animal Kingdom'? Sounds good.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
19/12/2010 15:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

download it from torrentz.com and use BitComet, Jacki Weaver I think is being nominated for an Oscar for her roll as the mother, one of the better aussie movies that's around at the moment.

Robert

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.