North Cyprus Tourist Board - A Christmas Dinner Best Forgotten
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > A Christmas Dinner Best Forgotten

A Christmas Dinner Best Forgotten

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

smwredd

Message Posted:
25/12/2010 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Today we went to the Ada for a much looked forward to Christmas Dinner. The tables were not individual but long tables with (in our case) about 10 or 12 people on them. At 5.10pm it was announced that the tables would go individually to get their meze, starting as it happened with our table. The last table to go had to wait some 40 minutes before they could get their starters. At 6.40pm no one had had their main course, and some card games were then introduced. I complained to the Manager this was an unacceptable wait, some hour and a half, after our starter. Ten minutes later, it was decided that the last table to go for their starter would now go for their main course first. This would of course mean that we would have waited some 2 hours between courses! At this point we left, goodness knows what time we would have received Christmas Pudding, sometime on Boxing Day perhaps. A very, very disappointing experience and one we will not repeat.

Lilli

Message Posted:
25/12/2010 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

SO sorry to hear this, we were supposed to join friends there but we over ran today. As we were knackered we decided to go home. These hotels offer great deals on paper and im not surprised so many take them up. Its just a shame when you are dissapointed.Happy christmas both and Lucy and the family xxxxxxx

metin

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 01:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

You should have come to Sempati Hotel.......I believe it was the same menu.

No complaints there, very well organised and only £15 per head.

Suzphone

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

We went to the Ada for Christmas a few years back, there were four of us and one other person !! we sat in the dining room for a meal on xmas eve, it was freezing cold, so was the food, the other guest said he was leaving as this was not what was promised, we left on Christmas morning !! When we saw the thread on here we were tempted to put our two penn'orth in, but thought it may have changed hands, sadly for you it has'nt. We went to Kate O'reilly's and it was excellent !! well done to them, especially Sue who did a grand job !!!

emineden1

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

thoroughbly enjoyable 2 day stay. had a really good time. Thanks to Kerim and his staff. Also many thanks to pete and sandra for all the entertainment.

geronimo

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

So sad to hear all these complaints. We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the Ada, and okay there were a couple of glitches, they ran out of potatoes, stuffing and Turkey at the end (we did not get any!) but the meze was excellent and we were refunded the cost of a meal each to make up for it. I know it is not the same not having the aforementioned but we had a really great time, plenty to eat and drink, service excellent and the entertainment could not have been bettered AND we met some really great people into the bargain. Thanks Karim, Nikki and staff and Pete and Sandra for a great weekend. Almost forgot, we were also given a free bottle of wine for our trouble, much appreciated of course!

pammick

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

You should have gone to the Mountain View, where we had a most memorable Christmas! Christmas eve was a lovely party night with a fantastic luxury buffet and super dancing music from DJ Mike. Christmas Day was wonderful! A Christmas dinner just like your mum would make, Christmas music all afternoon, a fun quiz, 6 hours of free drinks and in the evening a buffet and caberet with Danny Fisher at his very best. Elvis LIVES!!!!

You all know where to go NEXT year folks!!

Happy new year to everyone from Pam

sagsy22

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

On behalf of Pete and Sandra and the other 90 percent of happy customers. i would just like to say a big thank you to the Ada and its staff for a fantastic stay and all our lovely friends that made it a pleasure to entertain.

Just a suggestion maybe controlled portion sizes would be an idea so those at the back would have some too.

Also maybe the other establishments and entertainers who have commented on this thread would only do so if they had been there.

Happy New Year to you all.

MickyFinn

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Message No. 8. I am not an establishment or entertainer, nevertheless I WAS there with friends, but will NOTbe there next year.

Message No. 2. Lilli you hit the nail right on the head.lol xxxxx

UPNorth

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

A lovely time spent with great friends and new ones! Thanks to Sandra and Pete for entertaining us and we them!!! From a catering point of view the Christmas main course wasn't grand , although the breakfast and the mezes starters were excellent. Thanks must go to all the staff for trying to overcome any short comings and who all worked very hard.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Sorry to the few who where dissapointed for whatever reasons, It was incredible value for money, We had one of the finest rooms in the Hotel, 2 breakfasts, and Xmas lunch.

Whilst it was not 100 % what you would expect in a English establishment . It was a very good effort, I do not think you could have got better meat anywhere.Turkey, Lamb and Beef, the beef was like a small fillet steak.

All this for £75.00 per person, or £59.00 person basic room (and those rooms are still very nice).

Some people did have a few gremlins, I feel very sorry for those people, but from what I gather the managment did try to help.

We feel overall it was very good.

trooper

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

I went for just the Christmas day dinner with friends and while it wasn't perfect it was bloody good value for money. The meze/soup was excellent with an amazing choice of fresh ingredients. OK so the main course was a bit hit and miss but the roast potatoes were better than most establishments here produce and the meat was ok. Christmas pud was fine and of course the entertainment courtesy of Pete and Sandra was of the usual high standard. Well done. Like I said it was good value for money. What do you expect for 15 pounds per head on Christmas day? Last year went to a poncey hotel/restaurant in Bellapais - described as boutique - and it was awful and awfully expensive! I suspect the management of the Ada knows what needs to be changed and doubtless they will.

sevrec

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Geronimo - Hotel Sempati were giving you a FREE bottle of wine to have WITH your dinner, not instead of it. A refund and bottle of wine sounds ok, but what about actually having a meal? A Christmas Dinner, without any dinner!

sagsy22

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

Sorry just to clarify things. The Ada hotel offered the guests a free meal of anything on the menu. some did take up the offer some didnt. Not quite a xmas meal but a gesture however.

The bottle of wine was given from another source not the hotel, this was also goodwill gesture.

sagsy22

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Moderator can we close this thread now please

enough said.

stingrayno1

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 15:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

We had a great 3 days at the ada over xmas,a real bargain for £57each.There was a problem with the xmas dinner however,but it wasnt the fault of the ada hotel we could see that several people had overloaded their plates some people we saw asked the waiter for a doggybag which they had and it was huge,this was before some people had got their dinner.of course they were going to run out of food.but this was from pure greed...you know who you are?

next year i suggest they have a ticket system ,where people can only go up once.

jock1

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

Name them and shame them....

Whistler

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

StingrayNo1. Same thing happened to us at the Merit 3 years before. Christmas day, 1pm no turkey or roasties left. When we were telling our next door neighbour, he said "We had loads and I had a huge bagful for my dogs"!!!!!

MisterT

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

Brits, greed, never!!

TheSaints

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

msg 7 you must have been at a different party at the Mountain View on Christmas day then as it was an atrocious Christmas dinner, the dinner consisted of Prawn cocktail starter (prawns not defrosted) or even an un appertising lentil soup two very small thin slices of meat, 14 peas and two carrots (not fresh veg) 2 sprouts (not even Fresh) a 1 inch ball of stuffing two slices of roast potato not even a whole one and some gravy, a very small portion of crimbo pud that did literally fill one desert spoon, I assure you it was definately not like any meal my mother would make. The most up to date record the DJ played was Happy Days are here again, they most certainly were not. The buffet later was Salad, and cheap spring rolls and breaded hash browns, cold stuffed vine leaves oh and they even cut the bananas in half, I knew a few people there and they were not impressed at all. Yep we know where to go next year anywhere but the Mountain View. The worst dinner I have ever had.....

Maz

Message Posted:
29/12/2010 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

Oh dear, The Saints went marching in and it would appear that no one will want to be among the number next year! I heard of others who echoed the Saints thoughts and feelings. Guess a buffet is best if you can get it done the right way to please everyone. One thing here that seems to be omnipresent at 'do's is the fact that one is never allowed to eat in silence and have a conversation. DJ's are a MUST!

Maybe the message is to get out the Delia Cook Book and try it at home - trouble is it is a lonely experience, and Christmas is supposed to be for sharing and caring.

Doesn't work too well here, does it.

Hippo

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 06:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

Well there is only one thing I can say.

Christmas dinner in the Hippo house was fantastic Mrs H pulled the stops out again.

Sparkling wine

Soup and salmon mouse

Turkey Ham and Pork, sprouts (lots,fresh) parsnips carrots peas, roasties, pigs in blankets lashings of gravey.

Chritmas pud

Chease and Port

Cognac and coffee

I never have and never will stray from my own dinner table at Christmas.

The nightmares that have been illistrated on here over the past few years prove it.

DIY much better option.

negativenick

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 08:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

mess 22 - my mouth is watering as i read your post Hippo................

in 4 years in the TRNC - i ate out every year on x mas day - each time was promised "traditional x mas lunch" - but each time was hugely disappointed - The Malpas being the biggest culprit, i'd rather be sat on by Garry Mongers missus than go there again................

Anyway this year went to Macdonalds (had big mac, fries and milkshake) - Did everything it said on the tin....................

may take this opertunity to with everyone here a happy and prosperous 2011....

Jefferson

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Message 22. If you decide to sell tickets for next year put me down for two!

R.C.T.Man.

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 09:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

We to had a fantastic Xmas dinner & entertainment & the Lodge Catalkoy.

We had 5 courses Yum Yum , plus all the Xtras IE Mulled wine, Cheese & biscuits, Late Night Snacks etc.

All for TL 70 per person.

Tophat

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

To message number 20 and 21, we dont know how you could be so wrong. We think there were more than 70 people there and just like Pam and Mike of message number 7 who ever they are, we had an absolutely fantastic time. The meal was a credit to the hotel, dont know what happened to the miserable Brit in message number 20, but we had 3 large potatoes, thick slices of turkey and a thick slice of beef and all the trimmings and the best Christmas pud we've had for a long time. We've never known anywhere, before dinner to put out mince pies, sausage rolls, crisps just as we would do at home. We have to say as well, the DJ played all the right party music and got us all up dancing. And Elvis did a great performance. A big well done to the Mountain View and we'l be making our reservation with you for next Christmas. All my family had a great time and the kids loved there little prezzie's that we're given to them. NUMBER 20...What party were u at?????

Maz

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

Can't please everyone, and we all have different expectations of what we will get. If you love mike the DJ, then you will enjoy; if you don't like DJ's you won't. If you dance, it is great, but if you can't, it is mortifying. For many people it was fab, but for others it wasn't. Finding exaclty what you want is difficult until AFTER the event.

Sue of Mountain View did a great job for many, but others were disappointed, and lucky you to have exactly the meal you wanted. Or maybe the real bonus is that you have kids to add to the magic of Christmas. For some who have none, the message gets a bit lost under a plethora of Elvis. Danny always pleases his fans, but for those who don't like the original, then maybe Snow White and the Seven Dwarves would be better.

As I said 'Can't please them all' (and I do know folk who so love what Sue gives that they go year after year.)

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

Well my Christmas was the dogs danglys!!! The absolute best!! At Chez Lulubell's!! I'm so sorry some of you had a naff time, but Christmas is what you make it, perhaps staying home with good friends is what it really is all about...i bet in hindsight even Mary and Joseph wished they'd stayed home, instead of roughing it in a barn!!

DD

Pugwash

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

ER daisydukes where is chez lulubelles?

apc2010

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

pugwash ;;;;;;;;;

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/52610.asp

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 20:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

Pugwash...Chez lulubell's is a home that i went to, to help cook and serve....the whole day was an absolute blast!! So the next time you want to throw a party, and actually enjoy it, get in touch with me...i can make it happen!!

DD

TheSaints

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Msg 26, Far from being a miserable Brit as you so defensively put it, No one on our table or our friends table got a meal like you describe and that is Fact, thats 16 people. Nobody was dancing before 10pm (3 people) except the Dj and his wife who were dancing along to Danny not the Dj's music. One of our company is a friend of the proprioters and they actually told them they were very disapointed with the quality. Hmmmm depends what you are used to I suppose or maybe you got some Rose Coloured glasses in your cracker.

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

Ok I am getting bored of this. As one of the sons of the owners I take a great interest in what is written on public forums about their business. Having been in Florida, London and Leeds for the last month, I wasn't able to attend the Christmas do; but reading this is just ridiculous. Knowing mum and dad as I do, anyone will tell you that they bend over backwards to please anyone in their vicinity: house, hotel, restaurant, whatever.

Mum just e-emailed me that out of the 70 in attendance on christmas day, a certain group(mentioning no names) seemed to take incredible advantage of the free alcohol, and conincidently, this was the same group to have moaned,moaned and moaned a bit more. This Saints chap seems to be quick to shout out about the "others" unhappy with the meal, but I doubt the Saints were aware of the chit chat regarding the drinking disruptiveness of the Saints table?

We can ALL talk on public forums .

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 21:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

I'm sure if the group would have expressed there displeasure at portion sizes to a member of staff it would have been rectified with a click of the finger, that’s what people have become accustomed to at the Mountain View; but obviously there is a way of asking!

As I said I was not there so can not comment in too much detail. However, I return to Cyprus tomorrow evening. I am working in Cine Miles every night from 6pm til close. Come down and have a drink on me and tell me what really got your goat about Christmas day. We can discuss things in PERSON, rather than spouting on this website thingy.

Balls in your court Mr. Saints...

apc2010

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 21:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

ozwozz86 .....were you abroad studying public relations ...?????

TheSaints

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

Oz thank you for your offer and I may just take you up on it, the complaint was more on quality not just quantity.

I was driving and did not partake in the free bar only so far as I drank three pepsi's with ice so there can not have been any "Chit Chat" about my behaviour or my wifes who only drank two glasses of wine hardly what I would call a copious amount.

Nowhere did I say that the staff did not work well they worked very hard and were a credit to the establishment.

My poiint was that the Christmas Dinner was not as one would of expected.

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

Thankyou for accepting. I'm looking forward to getting back to Cyprus, the UK is very cold.

apc2010 - no I was studying the art of rollercoasters in Universal Studios, Bush Gardens, Disney Hollywood(didn't have the money for Magic Kingdom aswell) Seaworld, and Island of Adventure! You can see some great pics from our awesome holiday on my facebook: Ozkan Aydinel. Florida is literally off the charts!

Dolly.2

Message Posted:
31/12/2010 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

Why wouldn't anyone be defensive when one person speaks on the behalf of 16 other people. The DJ did not start playing his party music until after Danny Fisher had finished to which most people except your table got up and had a good dance.

Also the one member of your group 'as you have put it' that we spoke to actually said the dinner was good, but the carrots were hard. And then an hour or so later the lady's husband approcahed our management and said thank you and what a fantastic time he had had. So this has now come down to 15 unhappy people.

But as you say, and I hope we can end it here, that you cannot please everyone and you are always going to get 1, but in your case....15

Here at the Mountain View we are not unapproachable and we are always open to criticism FACE TO FACE.

sagsy22

Message Posted:
31/12/2010 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

Everything was sorted face to face on the day so why do people have to air on here. Everyone is struggling for business so lets hope that it doesnt damage next years bookings.

We for one thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ada and also the Mountain View when we stayed there a couple of years ago. Both establishments go out their way to help.

Happy New Year to everyone.

smwredd

Message Posted:
31/12/2010 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Well, when I made the first post, I didn't realise it would cause such a furore! Never mind I am sure you all managed a good Christmas as we did eventually. A Happy New Year and good eating.

frontalman

Message Posted:
31/12/2010 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

Sorry I'm a bit late commenting on this thread but it's the first chance I've had to sit in front of computer screen since before Christmas. We were at the Ada, thought the food was great, as were Pete and Sandra with the entertainment. We knew it would be difficult to serve 100 odd people (some very odd by the sound of it ), but I thought it was all handled as well as it could have been. The hotel knew the numbers and catered for that amount of people. If some over-filled their plates just to have it thrown in the dustbin afterwards then I think that's really sad. I'm sorry that some didn't get the proper dinner, I personally know several who didn't, but we can all see where it went wrong, as previously mentioned.

mia100max

Message Posted:
02/01/2011 02:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

We stayed at the Ada over Christmas and were unfortunate enough to be amongst the ones that did not get a christmas dinner. However, Karim was very apologetic and did offer us an alternative (steak & chips) and a complimentary drink which wasn't really very enjoyable but the thought was there. I have since found out that some of the guests actually went back up for seconds before people had even been served their dinner and also took doggie bags home. This is terrible!

The main course should have been waiter served which would have prevented this happening. Perhaps a thought for the future Ada Hotel?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.