North Cyprus Tourist Board - Question for Member mmmmmm - Re Dopi TV
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Question for Member mmmmmm - Re Dopi TV

Question for Member mmmmmm - Re Dopi TV

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

Avril

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 08:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Hi,

I noticed on one of your other posts you suggest purchasing another Received etc.

I am in Abu Dhabi at the moment (soon to return to Cyprus) and don't know exactly what to get - I did have a look at the link you provided however I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to technology.

I would be grateful if you could provide details of exactly what items I need to buy (I don't know if I need a card with this system, and, if you are able to provide an approximate price guide). Sorry - I'm not asking much.

Once I return to Cyprus we could maybe arrange for you to come to the house to set the system up please.

My private e-mail address is: avrilgerrard@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks very much.

Best Regards

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 08:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Avril,

A Merry Christmas to you!

You need an ADMC HD receiver, I'm not sure whether they are available in Carrefour as someone here has suggested, but that'll be a good place to start your search.

Please be warned Avril, the TRNC Customs Officers are actively searching people entering the TRNC. They are looking for people who do not declare goods that are over the monetary limit for personal imports.

Also, it is an offence to import anything electrical into the TRNC without obtaining the proper licences, including the appropriate electrical certificates. Without one, you cannot use an electrical item on the electrical supply in the TRNC.

The item that you are looking for is already legally available here. It has already been legally imported with all taxes and duties paid. It is available installed, guaranteed, working and with 24/7 customer service.

I'd sooner offer you an easier payment plan than to see you take the risk of being caught smuggling!

thatman

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

how many suit cases do you know of that have been opened in cars traveling from the south paul ?

scaremongering to get new customers really is low life.

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 08:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

I legally import this item into the TRNC and over the past two weeks, I have been lobbying the authorities to stop the illegal importation of this product.

During my lobbying sessions with various people, I have discovered that there are some prominent people in the TRNC who are involved in this business, and who do not take kindly to the unfair competiton that cut-price smuggled satellite receivers present.

I have to do this to protect our business and our livelihood - I'm sorry, but I just have to do it.

During enquiries, it has been discovered that a member of this forum is aiding and abetting people to illegally import this product from the South of Cyprus into the TRNC - the authorities take a very dim view of this type of thing

I wouldn't want to be the first Expat that is caught doing what you seem to be contemplating doing.

Please accept this post as an offering of some friendly advice. What is the expression? - I am marking your card!

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Merry Christmas thatman

I don't know how many suitcases are opened because I don't shop in the South - I don't even go over to the South.

Having declared my interest, I don't think that I am doing anything wrong in protecting my interest and I openly admit, that I am actively and enthusiastically lobbying the right people with the intention of stopping this unfair competition.

Why?

People should ask themselves what they would do if they were in my position or better, think what excuse they will offer to their existing customers, when they cannot offer them the help and support that they are entitled to because illegal imports have forced their supplier out of business

I will defend my customer's right to get the service that they have been promised and I will do whatever it takes to protect their rights.

That's just the type of guy that I am and I won't apologise for it!

smoggyjim

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Washerman

if you read Avril's post correctly you will see that they are in Abu Dhabi, they maybe buying it there not in South Cyprus

Washerman

Message Posted:
26/12/2010 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Happy Christmas smoggyjim........

and that is why I began my answer "You need an ADMC HD receiver, I'm not sure whether they are available in Carrefour as someone here has suggested, but that'll be a good place to start your search. "

that is "Carrefour" in Abu Dhabi - I believe that they have branches in many Middle Eastern countries, but nevertheless, she should consider the advice that I have offered and especially take into account that I have admitted to lobbying against illegal importation into the TRNC.

Smuggling goods into the TRNC from anywhere is not a good idea, especially when the authorities have been alerted to watch for a particular item.

It's just unfair competition and the authorities are obliged to protect the interests of the TRNC's legally trading business by enforcing the rules and regulations.

I wouldn't like to be the cause of someone getting into trouble because of this so, I ease my conscience by offering fair warning.

Davidots

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

yawnnnnnnnn

rowlo

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

cut to the chase , how much washerman ? can you use existing dish,s ?

Avril

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Thanks for all the advice.

notthereyet

Message Posted:
27/12/2010 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

hey washerman in another post you berate 6m for having some part in the closing down of illegal card sharing schemes indicating that he should have left well alone as these people were just making a living and providing a service. Now you sit there on your high horse telling all and sundry you are "lobbying" the authorities about people trying to help themselves to get a reasonable priced system because that effects you and impinges on your business. At least 6m didnt have an ulterior motive and just wanted to help and warn people you seem to want to make your system the only game in town. you want it both ways mate and it smacks of hipocracy what next get neighbours to grass each other up. Have you ever taken more than you should through customs ever? the south, uk, Dover booze cruise, holidays if not well done you would be a remarkable soul.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Avril

I've just noticed this msg and hope you are still in Abu Dhabi ;)

Here's the link to buy the receiver AND the package - for a year - at 170 GBP

http://3ways.admcsport.com/en/satellite.php

Retailers:

Carrefour,Geant, Hyper Panda, Lulu, Sharaf DG, Union Co Op, Abu Dhabi Co Jumbo

IF you've had Dopi or similar and can receive MBC 2-4, Action etc., you have a dish pointing at Nilesat and there is no need to call a technician to fit a new dish... ( I would suggest that 1m dishes are better in the heavy rain - but if you lived with it with Dopi.. )

Now you need to ensure that the package is turned on and that Abu Dhabi have a contact tel number for you to renew next year..

THIS is the 'grey area' for Washerman and anyone using supplying such a system outside the area for which it is intended ..

I have advised others how to do this and they have saved a packet.

If you get stuck - drop me a line... I have pm'd you... ;)

bigOz

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

I belive it is legal and you are allowed to import with you one piece each of different electrical goods from abroad when flying in. Last time I was in UK I brought in a 42 in HD TV, a DVD player/recorder, and a DVD camcorder - with no problems!

magicart

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

So this grey area must also apply to the Sky satellite system then 6m's .

Trnc must be outside the area it was intended?

You just can't resist having a go at Pauls business.

Perhaps you have ulterior motives-you say you don't but I'm sure you do.

Sorry to sound assertive again but you really must stop this witch hunt as it will have an adverse affect on the

supply and installation of all satellite systems -not only Pauls.

Art

yrret

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 14:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

If this is the Avril I think it may be, then how many times has your husband ever been topped through the airport, probably never. SO just pack the box in the suitcase and don't worry about it.

Buy the box, if you know someone in AD, get it registered to them, annual subscription by credit card and you will have all the TV you want.

Getting it set up in NC will not be a problem, Iceman doesn't touch these systems, but Acip in Lapta will set it up for you if need be I am sure.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Dear Art

>>So this grey area must also apply to the Sky satellite system then 6m's . <<

Absolutely.. and IF you'd been 'keeping up'.. which I know you haven't - otherwise YOU wouldn't have posted this - I've made it clear MANY times...

The BIG difference is that many of us have UK / IRL based family - not too many of us have family in Arab states..

To get and KEEP getting things like OSN / Abu Dhabi TV you need a 'contact' in an Arab state....

No matter HOW 'good' the supplier - if they 'fall out' with that contact or the official company doesn't like their kit being 'sold' at inflated prices by someone claiming 'officialdom'

HOW is avoiding paying 'daft prices for kit that is freely available for MUCH less going to 'harm' anyone - except those charging too much - with NO guarantee of maintaining their 'contacts' ...

magicart

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Hi mmmmmm.

I find your remarks to be condescending and I will no longer engage in any further debate with you.

If you continue to lecture people on what you believe is in their best interest you will lose their suport the same way you have lost mine.

Finally I am convinced that your obsession with the so called Pirate or Grey Area TRNC Satellite companies will do irrecoverable damage to the livelihood of those employed in the industry.If it were within my power I would impose another ban to prevent you from continuing with this dangerous obsession.

Thanks

Art

I will no longer be part of your

Jefferson

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

If Washerman hadn't answered the thread aimed at mmmmmm then he wouldn't have been there to be shot at.

i find his advice useful and after all it is only advice. Isn't that what the forum is about?

rowlo

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

how much washerman ?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

re msg 17

Art

>>I find your remarks to be condescending and I will no longer engage in any further debate with you. <<

You probably would, now.. I'm sorry.. but this is a situation all of your own making ..

I have patiently tried to explain how things are and you post things that show you haven't bothered to READ...

Time will demonstrate your folly...

magicart

Message Posted:
28/12/2010 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Jefferson.

I agree the forum is all about getting advice but some members use the forum as a vehicle to deliberately sabotage other business's .The perception these people give is nothing more than a "smoke screen" which if believed enables them to achieve their own agenda.

6m's reply to my thread continues to be condescending simply because I have dared to challenge his point of view.

Thanks

Art

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/12/2010 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Dear Art,

Let's be QUITE clear about this... as you think *I'm* being 'condescending'...

I am not out to sabotage anyone's business.. I'm protecting ex-pats from being burned.... AGAIN...

1/ Can a punter by the same system for a LOT less ? YES

2/ Are buyers of grey-market kit ( outside the area of official licensed reception ) taking a risk ? YES..

So WHY pay more than necessary?

Please point out how you've 'challenged' my point of view.. the only thing you got right was " people are free to choose where to buy from" .....

gallowgate

Message Posted:
29/12/2010 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Magicart I have to say that I did not want to take advice from 6 ms when he warned me about Dopi. The result was it cost me £585 for a rubbish system that as forecast by 6ms collapsed. I have never found him rude, he simply offers very good advice.

Tompepper

Message Posted:
29/12/2010 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

6 ms knows his onions and to my knowledge has never taken money and not deliver and or given duff advise unlike on person advertising his wares on this forum.

cypgab

Message Posted:
29/12/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Message 17: I find your remarks to be condescending and I will no longer engage in any further debate with you.

Or perhaps you realise he is right? Mark can be very abrasive but once you get your head round that he is the provider of good solid, honest and reliable information.

magicart

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Msg 23/25

I agree with you both and the advice given out by 6m's is probably reliable and he could well be right in his assessment .The issue I have with him concerns his constant and obsessional attacks on a number of selected companies trading in the Satellite industry and his condescending attitude.In one of his previous threads he implies that I have not kept up with the flow of information which in its self, given that he knows nothing about my business background, is a condescending remark.

I also believe its very wrong for any member to use this forum as a vehicle to criticize local business's and this is were 6m's and I differ.I'm particularly concerned about his recent derogatory campaign against Satcyprus.

I my view I find this to be unnecessary and unacceptable and so should the moderators.

Happy New Year

Art

yrret

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Surely Art, the whole point of being able to ask questions is to get accurate (an example being the early Dopi posts saying the service may be lost or partially lost) answers to questions.

Now, if Marky appears to be hitting the same company, it must because they continually post.

From you remarks about not criticising any local business' you must also agree then that no-one should pass opinion on dodgy builders/estate agents etc?

Not disseminating info is in no ones interest, you included the next time you may need to deal with someone where there has been problems in the past.

Mark is very knowledgeable about the Sat industry, and gives a balanced view, if there is a positive thing to be said, i.e. use Iceman for Sky, then he posts just that, and yes this can detract from Marks own VPN TV business, but he gives an honest opinion.

Mark does very little actual business in Cyprus I am sure, but he is still more than happy to help out people when they need it, and for free.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Yrret

Thanks for your intervention.. i is appreciated..

A couple of points: I do an AWFUL lot of biz in / via Cyprus - just v.little in 'TRNC'

I think it is pointless trying to explain to Art.. he didn't 'get it' last time re the likes of Dopi and will not / cannot accept that my posts are based on FACT, experience and most importantly.. I don't ant to see punters 'taken for a ride' AGAIN...

THAT involves not paying an inflated price and knowing the risks involved when using a system not designated for that region.

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Some of the Dopi scrambled channels appeared for a while last evening 'granada' was 1, they say they will be going back on again shortly, we will wait and see :(

magicart

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 13:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Yet another condescending post from 6m's -he wrongly assume's that I don't understand whats going . I find his remarks to be infantile -this is why he has lost my support.

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Meybe not condescending, probably just giving advice that is not being heeded he is possibly only trying to stop too many people making a second mistake, some do keep making the same mistakes over and over, I must say message 16 makes a lot of sense, and if you have once again gone for a grey area system without someone 'a contact' in an Arab state, then maybe you are not as switched on as you think Art, anyway its your money, but why bother posting what you've done on a public board if you dont want it torn apart its the nature of them.

only my opinion though

magicart

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Hi Hodgeliz,

You make some very valid points and I did take on board 6m's advice before making a decision on my satellite system provider.If my understanding is correct their are very few fully legitimate satellite companies trading on the island including those who supply Sky(rarely does 6m's criticize these companies even though they are expensive)so I decided to go with Satcyprus.My decision to go with Satcyprus followed weeks of research and I was then invited by the owner of this company to visit his house , to look at his system and to ask any relevant questions.This was my very first meeting and I found the owner to be very open about his business and never once did he try to hide his costs or his method of operation.So based on all of this research I decided that Sat/cyprus was the very best option available to me and todate I am 100% satisfied with Satcyprus.I am very happy to be challenged by anyone on a public board but draw the line at been treated like an idiot.

cypgab

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

I don't think any of his posts have been condescending. It is your perception and understanding that is awry.

Infantile? Consider that same word, losing your support will not bother him in the least.

RoxyBob

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 16:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

6m's

Washerman provides an excellent service. If you brought your own system through customs who would provide the service if anything went wrong? All we want is a good system that works and has good after service. This is what Washerman provides.

Please keep your opinions to yourself. We live in NC and don't have the luxury of Sky etc.

If any other custmomer of Washerman reads this thread please give your opinions.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/12/2010 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

One last 'try'..

1/ There is NOTHING 'wrong' with OSN/ AD TV systems... in fact AD TV in HD with a 1m dish seems GREAT...

2/ The problem is that you ain't supposed to get it, and any company 'SCREAMING' they offer it ( and claiming 'officialdom' ) is liable to talk themselves and their clients into losing it

3/ Washerman is charging WAY over the odds and isn't being honest about the risk..

4/ What happened to Coldsat..? They had a loyal customer base of Showtime subscribers and why would they 'lose' them?....

5/ Dopi were 'great' and I was 'just jealous'... I've seen it all before...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.