North Cyprus Tourist Board - It is illegal to stop a crime !!!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > It is illegal to stop a crime !!!!

It is illegal to stop a crime !!!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

apc2010

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

A driver prosecuted for flashing his headlights to warn motorists of a mobile police speed gun has defended his actions as his "civic duty".

Michael Thompson, 64, was pulled over by officers in Grimsby in July after warning several oncoming cars.

He was fined £175 and ordered to pay £250 costs after being found guilty of wilfully obstructing a police officer in the course of her duties.

Thompson said: "I flashed motorists to warn them of a hazard."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

If the point of mobile speed traps is to slow motorists down and improve road safety, then Mr. THompson was assisting the police and should be thanked for it.

If the purpose of these traps is to criminalise drivers, put points on their licences and raise revenue from them, then Mr. Thompson was obstructing a police officer.

I think we now know what they're for.

yrret

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

This is similar to the chap who won the legal argument that a speed trap detector is a safety device and therefore not illegal.

Informing people of a potential hazard, which a Police officer with a speed gun is as they are willfully providing a distraction that could cause an accident, should be argued is adding to safety.

To answer the title though, if you commit a crime to prevent a crime, yes it is illegal.

A civilian cannot in law 'prevent' a crime, i.e. make a citizens arrest before the event, a Police officer can preempt a crime and make an arrest before it occurs, 'under suspicion of'

As preventing a crime before it occurs could likely entail restraining a person, this could be perceived as assault on the potential criminal, by the good Samaritan.

The UK system totally favours the criminal and the system the operate under, handicaps those hoping to prevent it, and even passes all the costs onto those daft enough to contribute to the system i.e. the tax payers.

YFred

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Typical GC mind. Twist it till it snaps.

It's more like you warning a thief not to break into this house because the police are watching it. But then again you guys are used to this, stealing our government, identity and lands.

Quarmby

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

So

if I am driving on a road and have just witnessed an accident round a bend, I flash my lights to oncoming traffic to warn them of the accident, I could be deemed as committing a crime?

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

He should be fined. When a car flashes me, I have NO idea, most of the time, why - not being a mind reader. BUT it is distracting to have a car coming towards you flashing their lights - and causes momentary panic which could cause an accident. Have my lights gone out? is half my coat hanging out the closed door? is there a pothole just in front of my car? have I got a flat tyre? et cetera......LUDICROUS to flash.........meaningless - unless the cause is patently obvious, in which case, it negates someone flashing you. The police I believe, have these speed traps both to increase their revenue AND to hopefully teach people NOT to speed

YFred

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Q that is perfectly proper thing to do and also put your arm out of the window and do a slow down signal. I can assure you that will not be considered to be a crime.

It's just good ol apc/oracle playing games looking for something when there is nothing. They are very good at that south of the border.

jimmyG

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

If I do the same thing to warn oncoming motorists that there is a mobile speed camera van ahead of them, which I do frequently by the way, is that a crime? They are not police operated and so I could not be accused of obstructing the Police so does anyone know the answer to this ? As I see it the only 'offence' I'm committing is reducing the amount of revenue going to central government & they have always denied that their use is to generate income so is that a 'crime' ?

AndyLynnW

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

This subject was bound to provoke debate when published.

This type of warning has gone on for years.

The sensible thing would be to change the offence wording so that it is an offence to obstruct a Police Officer in the lawful execution of his duty in preventing and detecting a CRIME.

Speeding is not a crime.

If I saw a Police Officer chasing a person for a crime, such as a burglary, I would help the Officer.I would not warn the burglar he was being chased.

I think the very literal interpretation taken of this offence has backfired on the Police and justice system.

The male in question admitted what he was doing. What if he had said " I thought they were friends on a car treasure hunt so I was flashing my lights at them out of friendly recognition?"

Obviously you should not lie to a Police Officer.

apc2010

Message Posted:
06/01/2011 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I think msg 2 ........hit the nail on the head ..........

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.