North Cyprus Tourist Board - Frail elderly visitors - advice please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Frail elderly visitors - advice please

Frail elderly visitors - advice please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

caulkhead

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

My father who is 92 would like to come out to Cyprus sometime in April and I am trying to decide whether this is feasible. History is that he is pretty determined when he decides he wants to go travelling!

Whilst mentally bright he needs a carer, particularly to help him wash and dress, to get him to bed at night and at times during the day. I have a self contained annexe on one level, so where to stay is not a problem and I have family who will travel with him. Insurance is also sorted. Therefore my main worry is his care when he is out in Cyprus. I am trying to decide whether it is better to bring someone from the UK or whether I could find a local carer for the duration of his stay.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of bringing out frail elderly people? Any advice please would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

R.C.T.Man.

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Ah that is realy good of you , the world needs people like you well done.

philnles

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Good on your Dad - try nurseawful on this forum - I am sure she can help you, there are carers out there.

Best of luck.

Lesley

sienna

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

wow good for him hope you get sorted out and he has a lovely time

nurseawful

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

George telephone me on 0533 884 5621 or e-mail the details to trnchealthcare@gmail.com and we can arrange to meet.

Chris

spider

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

If he has a carer already at home my advice would be to bring them with him too, its not nice for the poor dear chap to have total strangers help him with washing and dressing,the ones he already has knows his needs ways.and wants. I once took a friends mother straight from the hospital after a new hip, to the states frame and commode all to the ready and another tip,I gave her a little bell to ring in the night beside her bed for if she me.Boy did she use it But bless her I got her walking with the frame and she stayed on a further two months.Good luck and I hope he enjoys his stay.Fell free to contact me if you have any questions.

Spider,X

Pipie

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Nice post spider !!!

martinD41

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Be careful of the heat,but otherwise good on you!!

joandjelly

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

As you say your father is frail you may want to think about hiring an electric powered wheelchair. We did this when my mother-in-law came and whilst she can get about ok generally, she does get tired walking and we found it a great help when out and about especially with the state of (or lack of) pavements here. We did this through Tom at Enable Holiday Mobility http://enableholidaymobility.com/

I do hope you father has a great holiday.

caulkhead

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Thank you all for your advice and I will follow up the suggestions.

spiros

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Yes also i think better message 6,spiros think message 5 a mean well,but not best thing,hope your papa have very good time,what the secret live to 92,whisky,ciggies,and nicer lady

booitsme

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

My mum is 81 and very frail but she loved her time with us at the end of last april. As she is VERY sensitive to heat we were a bit concerned but she was quite content to sit out on the front patio in the shade. We took mum on lots of beautiful drives as she doesn't really like to depend on a wheelchair and she was quite ahppy to admire the view from the car. As for care as well as TRNC healthcare, who do a great job, there is usually another outfit advertise in the Cyprus today called Medicare - 05338416505. I'm sure your dad will have a wonderful time and return home relaxed and refreshed, as for my mum....... she's booked a one way ticket for march and will return to the UK around the beginning of May when the heat really starts to build up. Also the airlines provide excellent help and assistance for elderly, frail or disabled people but make sure you book in advance as it does save time. Have a great time

nurseawful

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

message 12,

If you need a loan of a wheelchair let me know ASAP so I can make sure one available if you need it.

Chris

halffull

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

My Mum (89) visited last October, we borrowed a wheelchair from nurseawful, my sister traveled with her and she had a great time. She was able to take her "walker" with her on the plane at no extra cost.

spider

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

I do not think they charge to bring your own chair,and its must be far better as one would need to use it at either end, much better because then you have someone look after you,they have a service called unaccompanied elderly the same as they have for children..Think of how all the disabled wheelchair users get about flying.My daughter went to New York for a long week-end with an elderly person who used her own electric chair no problems.

Spider,X

booitsme

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Thanks Chris, I'm sorting out dates and flights now so I'll email you. Thanks again for your help.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Message 15. Spider

Some airlines now do charge for you to bring your own wheelchair but they do provide one in the airport from when you arrive to when you get on your seat on the plane. As to electric wheelchairs really North Cyprus roads and pavements not geared up for walking let alone normal wheelchairs never mind electric!

As to your comments on post 6 for most people bringing their carer along is going to be costly as they would have to pay the air fare plus wages and there are excellent carers here on the island who are every bit as capable and a damn site cheaper in my experience.

Chris

spider

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Chris very good point,and please do not feel I was knocking at you at all,you do a wonderful job.and that was never my intentions if you have took things wrong.I was giving a ,or my general experience that was all, we all know what the pavements are like here and one chair is like the other but with a motor on it. I have not said the carers here are not as capable either..love,just that in my view it can be uncomfortable for an elderly person to have new people to attend them, I have had to bed bath a priest in the past and at the time just felt that maybe one of his flock would have been better in doing such a job.as you well know we all understand the dignity of the elderly is of utmost importance, I was just giving my views,not getting at anything,I hope this is understandable.

Spider,X

spider

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Chris have you seen or anyone else seen the little dear up in Ilgaz, I have not as yet but Vic is up their twice a week and she zooms about the village and around the mountain roads,or maybe mud roads in her electric wheelchair..Bless her )

Spider,X

joandjelly

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Chris re your message 17 the electric wheelchairs being referred to (by me at least) are actually electrically assisted (i.e. to help the person pushing) rather than operated by the person in the wheelchair. In my experience with my mother-in-law we found the power enormously helpful in negotiating the roads and pavements here and really would not have wanted to be using a normal chair. As you know there are hardly any ramps and the ones that do exist are rediculously steep, Bellapais Abbey being a prime example.

spider

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Thats a good point joan..and reminds me of a bike I got for Vic back home a push bike with a battery ) The owner was much older and found this of great help, I got it because he was selling it cheap,and Vic was able to ride it with the battery off.

Always always turn a wheelchair round and take it down curbs backwards,this makes if safer for the person sitting in it,less of a worry that you will tip the out..anywhere steep too.turn it round.

Spider,X

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.