North Cyprus Tourist Board - Statement from British Residents Society
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Statement from British Residents Society

Statement from British Residents Society

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

mamachina

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

The following statment was issued today@

The BRS wishes to make it clear that an unauthorised e mail circulated on the 30th December 2010 by an individual member of the Society, concerning a particular banking institution in the TRNC, was issued without the knowledge, agreement or consent of the BRS committee or any of its officers and that after investigating the circumstances surrounding its distribution, we totally disassociate the Society from its content. It remains the long standing policy of the society that we issue no recommendations or otherwise concerning individual commercial operations in TRNC. The BRS understands that the banking institution in question came under the control of the TRNC Central bank a year ago and that there has been no change since.

Hon. Sec. BRS 08.01.2011

mamachina

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Is there a way to make this a sticky please. I dont know the procedure - just for a day or two.

joanie1

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Which banking institution are we talking about - as a member of the BRS (ok only an associate) I have had no email,

Joan

Deniz1

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Think it was the Continental Bank.

Maz

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Was this sent out as an official BRS statement? Or was it a private individual tyring to be helpful. If the former, I can understand your statement, but if the latter, why should BRS feel the need to comment.

I am confused!

proger1

Message Posted:
08/01/2011 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

mamachina, check the advertising page, Stickeys are 10 pounds per day for a minimum of 5 daus so a quick 50 pound and you will get your sticky

Maz

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 00:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

OIh dear - who would pay? BRS from members money? Or Mamachina from hers? Maybe sometimes it is best to stick with what you have!!!! Pardon the pun.

Mountainman

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Whereas I welcome the confirmation that this was supposedly not authorised, it is however true that the individual that sent out the email was a sub-committee member who is allowed to sit in on committee meetings. Furthermore it was not sent out on a personal email address but on a brstrnc@gmail.com address (I know, I received it!).

Surely then, the individual concerned is not "just" a member and this begs the question that what level of controls can be in place if the heirarchy are unaware of what is going on around them.

I would add that I would have thought a statement directly from the Chairman might have been more appropriate given the potential gravity that this email could have had, after all he may not beat fault but he is responsible!

mamachina

Message Posted:
09/01/2011 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

In reply to Mountainman - The person who sent out the original e mail does not sit in at committee meetings. He did, but opted out on his own violition a few months ago. The problem is just that, it was sent out NOT on his personal e mail address but one he had with BRS when more involved with the web site and other things. The e mail did not go out to all BRS members only ones on his personal list and it did not go out as a BRS letter, but unfortunately due to the e mail address used it was TAKEN TO BE an official BRS communication by some readers.

The statement was from the Acting Chairman, but as he is not a member of C44 he asked me to put it on for him, under my position on the committee. The BRS is aware of the potential problems this e mail could have caused, or could still cause and over the past week has been activiely involved in damage control.

Mountainman

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately it does little to instil confidence when the last published minutes on your website show the "miscreant" gave apologies and certainly until very recently he was the "face" of the BRS at a local market. Hardly someone who has "opted out".

Further we have been repeatedly promised security and confidentiality regarding the database holding membership information. Are you saying that this information is held on more than one database contrary to the BRS assurances. If it is (albeit in part) what assurances can you give that ths data will be removed from everyone except the membership secretary.

Finally, since the bank in question is now controlled by central bank, themselves an arm of the Government, can you give any idea as to the level of damage this whole mess will have created for the credibility of the BRS in the eyes of the Government, indeed will this be the final death nell in what has been an increasingly aimless body of late?

Mountainman

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Surely "damage control" is too little, too late.

mamachina

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Mountainman - perhaps you should ask the person involved about his data as you said you had an e mail from him? He has not been to a committee meeting since September. Although he did not appear in October I put him as "apoligies" because at the time I did not know he had said he was not returning as a non-voting member at meetings, and I had only recently been co-opted onto the committee. He has done sterling work at Lambousa market as a representative of the Society helping the committee with renewals and membership.

For the rest, the BRS does not just jump in, it tries to find out all the particulars before making a statement, which is more than can be said of many other people.

jimm127

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

My final word, the data was collected on behalf of the BRS so it is their responsibility to confirm it's security.

As for the BRS not jumping in, perhaps if it had none of this sorry mess would have happened.

On a personal note mama, well done for your posts and rapid replies. Ypu have tried to deal with the points and I respect that. I just wish you and the BRS were in a stronger position to answer the underlying situation.

Good luck

jimm127

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

By the way Jimm is not mountainman, he has just borrowed my computer whilst visiting from Lapta.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.