North Cyprus Tourist Board - Hotmail. Bogus e-mail from friend in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Hotmail. Bogus e-mail from friend in TRNC

Hotmail. Bogus e-mail from friend in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hello,

How are you doing ? Sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to Spain for a program, I'm presently in Madrid Spain and am having some little difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel where my money,and other valuable things were kept.I will like you to assist me with a soft loan urgently with the sum of (1200Euro) to sort-out my hotel bills and to get me back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I'll Refund the money back to you as soon as i return,let me know if you can be of any help?

Thanks,

Anne

I have just received this e-mail supposed to be from a lady I know in Catalkoy, now it is obvious to me that someone has got into her hotmail account. So Anne or Trevor if you read this or any of your friends it is just to let you know what is happening. Also sent you e-mail but I suspect you won't get it!

Chris

Denny

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Also blame the morons who send e-mail funnies without deleting the previous addresses in the send fields.

Denise

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 22:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

i had the same from a friend in Australia, it seems that people are hacking into hotmail accounts and sending these emails hoping someone will forward money. she has since changed to gmail. unless you have another way of contacting your friend i wouldn't try to send an email via the hotmail as it is just going to the hackers.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Chris have e mailed you with details and the new g mail address.

waddo

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Ditch Hotmail! Use GMail! I have never known a Hotmail user that has not had problems with it at some time or other or has had them but not known about it till their friends ask them why they are trying to sell things to them.

Not a good system at all and thats many years of experiance talking!

Maz

Message Posted:
10/01/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

I had the same the other week from the lady who runs EMMA in Nicosia. I know she would have written in Turkish and highluy unlikely she would go to Spain and the terminology is all wrong in English. What believe people are doing is changing their passwlords on Hotmail. Trouble with changing an e mail address is notifying everyone of the change. In any casel, most of us spot whether the sender is really someone we know, regardless of the e mail address. Or just forward on to them and say 'Is this really from you'. After all one would not want to leave any true friend stranded in Spain. Or would we?

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Chris

Check this out, it gives more info. I had one of these months and months ago so its been around a while.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/stranded-scam.shtml

Panchocat

Message Posted:
11/01/2011 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Maz,

The trouble with this phishing scam is that the account had been phished and hijacked before we knew it and the scammers had changed the password which meant that we could not access it.

We have been told that hotmail is very vulnerable to this and have put the problem into the hands of the windows live solutions team AND then moved to google mail!!

Luckily for me I had all my contacts in the Jacquie Lawson card site address book so have not lost my contacts.

The bank, who had also had the scam plea, put me in touch with a company who deal with Identity theft and I have followed their advice about changing internet banking security codes and cancelling credit cards. This was necessary as there were a number of one click shopping accounts set up which in theory the scammers could use. As the TV programme used to say, be careful out there!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.