North Cyprus Tourist Board - ITV 'Homes from Hell' looking for new stories in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ITV 'Homes from Hell' looking for new stories in North Cyprus

ITV 'Homes from Hell' looking for new stories in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

LauraStevens

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 90 in Discussion

Hi

I am working on the new series of Homes from Hell for ITV in the UK and we are still interesting in hearing your stories about property problems you are experiencing over in N Cyprus, whether you are an expat or have bought a holiday home.

If you would like to chat to us please contact me at:

laura.stevens@itv.com

We have been very successful in the past helping our contributors with their problems and any chat at this stage does not have to be a commitment to film with us.

Kind regards

Laura Stevens

racoonchic

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 90 in Discussion

how much is the story worth ...

Denny

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 90 in Discussion

Shouldn't TRNC title deed holders be offering money to the TV company not to run with it?

yrret

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 90 in Discussion

We are a success story, no problems, interested in a balanced program?

Scoty

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 90 in Discussion

msg 2 - they couldn't afford it?

Msg 3 - usual crap

msg 1 - when do intend to start filming. Will it be positive / negative views from ONLY those in the North? No input from our cousins down South?

pollymarples

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 90 in Discussion

Too late Denny, everyone knows the situation here that is why prices are tumbling, even for those with success stories just look at the prices in last weeks CYPRUS TODAY appts under £30.000 4 bed villa with pool

under £80.000 and it will get worse, that is the starting prices, if there is anyone interested bound to offer less.

This will just get worse.

Denny

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 90 in Discussion

Scoty msg 5 - >>when do intend to start filming. Will it be positive / negative views from ONLY those in the North? No input from our cousins down South?<<

Let's not be naive, eh? Read msg 1 properly this time. The TV folk are looking for people with PROBLEMS in the TRNC. The ones with the biggest and worst problems will be filmed. As for your last sentence, get real. Won't some of the best reaction come from the people on the other side who were ethnically cleansed?

Whisper it, but the earth is actually round, not flat.

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 19:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 90 in Discussion

the world has property problems and price crashes .

i today got emailed a 2 bedroom fully furnished appt ,on golf course on costa blanca spain .

my father in law had one there 2 years ago ,sold at 156 euros ....today fully furnished its 89.5 k euros /

go interview them .....he only wants to drive more prices down .

they are all chin less ,face less ,easy bought gutter rats

kav

cronos

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 90 in Discussion

Kavenkoy....msg 8

"they are all chin less ,face less ,easy bought gutter rats"

Is this really your opinion of all the property victims in the TRNC or have I misunderstood your comment?

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 90 in Discussion

no cronos no way is it for anybody or anything to do with the trnc .

its aimed at the press who want to topple things .

they thrive on peoples misery .

i support every part of trnc ,good and bad by choice as i love the place .

it has its problems like other places ,but for me it has more to offer than any where else .

as its said long live the trnc

kav

cronos

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 90 in Discussion

Kav....thanks for the explanation.

martinD41

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 90 in Discussion

msg1 Fill your boots.............

malsancak

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 90 in Discussion

"Homes from Hell" gives you a clue about what they are looking for. As they have done a series in the UK I wouldn't worry about it being an attempt to get at the TRNC specifically. Mind you there are a lot of people here that seem to be worried that a series based on the TRNC would put the whole country in a bad light rather than just the builders. That wouldn't be the case would it?

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 90 in Discussion

do these programmes ever help anyone other than the television company....got my deeds recently and yes there were problems ..mortgage etc......im not trying to diminish the problems here as i know there are many sad stories....again i ask what good does such a programme do ...for anyone....to those who have contributed in the past has it made a difference i wonder...

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 90 in Discussion

How about a new TV series, about the majority of us here, who are very very happy, and how much better our life is than in the YUK, (sorry UK).

We could talk about the wonderful community spirit here, or the mainly lovely people, or the fantastic climate and scenery, and the fairly low cost of living, and the fact that many of us have homes and swimming pools, etc.that we could never have considered in the UK.

Just a thought, Or is it a bit like the gutter press, only bad things sell newspapers.

cronos

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 90 in Discussion

Bit of a poor argument there Johhny with all due respect.

It's like saying that because most people don't get raped or murdered then such things shouldn't be reported at all.

Bradus

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 90 in Discussion

It makes people more careful when considering buying in other countries. It allows people to make an informed decision regarding the safety of purchase and the actual problems that can be encountered.

Imagine a TV program looking at the application of memorandums on properties in which the buyers have paid in full and now stand to be evicted. It would certainly make you do your homework.

Had I witnessed this, I would certainly not be prepared to purchase without safeguards being introduced. The consequences are often a decline in purchases which then affects the whole construction market. In some countries such negative publicity would inspire the Government and construction industry to take action and sit up and listen...............but we are dealing with the TRNC Government here. So I suspect it will have absolutely no effect, other than discouraging future purchasing.

Jefferson

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 90 in Discussion

Message 15. Agree with you but those who are happy will not feature in this one sided programme. Another useless thread started by a researcher who wants others to do her job for her.

malsancak

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 90 in Discussion

I'd be interested in watching a programme showing people saying there were few problems buying property in the TRNC, anyone want to appear on it?

HildySmith

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 90 in Discussion

I am a pensioner who sold up in the UK and invested in a home here. After 5 years I still do not have a home even though I have paid £100,000.00 for it. There are 7 houses on the Incesu estate which have all been sold to Brits and none of them have a house/Home. Mine was for my retirement and I know live in rented accommodation with just my pension to live on. I agree with the comments about living here the people, the location etc etc etc - it is better when you have a home to live in. I do not have a house in England as I sold it to pay for this one and now I do not have a house here now thanks to my builder Cafer Yucelgazi, and a lying Advocate.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 90 in Discussion

May I also add that I have never ever claimed benefits in the UK as I have worked and paid my taxes all my life from being 15 years old. I also worked whilst raising my children and spent 30+ years training unemployed people and getting them into jobs.

I would hate to think that other pensioners or young families would be put into the same position as we are. As for it being only in the North - I did not buy in the South therefore I cannot comment on the situation down there. I and my would be neighbours bought in the North and there can only comment on our experiences and problems in the north.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
14/01/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 90 in Discussion

or is it

I'm alright Jack!!!!!!!

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 90 in Discussion

We got our kocan on Wednesday.

I think msg1 should do a bit about the trouble (dodgy builders etc) some people have with buying property in south Cyprus.

Bradus

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 90 in Discussion

Lapta Mike,

The feature is on the island of Cyprus. North and South. Neither side will come out smelling of roses.

Maz

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 90 in Discussion

The poor researcher who is but doing their job to have to read all this tirade. If anyone wants to volunteer I am sure she would love to hear, but she is not to be blamed for making an enquiry.

There are enough people afraid of any ramifications of appearing on British TV whilst living here and quite rightly a little perturbed at complaining unless they lose out even more. Not everyone is a Pauline Read!

But so many things are negative with buying hereI have a friend who sold up to come here, and putting all the money into a home here. Not only does she not have the Kocan, but the property sold in another country is now worth the equivalent of £650,000 but here the property is not even £200,000. A bad choice and no going back and I think that she, like many others is just a little frustrated that no one cares. Just like poor Hildy Smith above. Shattered dreams and no hopes of escape. Wonder if the researcher wants to hear of these cases?.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 90 in Discussion

Bradus, msg 24. You need to re-read the title of the thread. Also, I quote from the original message

'I am working on the new series of Homes from Hell for ITV in the UK and we are still interesting in hearing your stories about property problems you are experiencing over in N Cyprus'

Note the N Cyprus at the end.

Bradus

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 90 in Discussion

Yes Mike,

but the exact same message is posted on South Cyprus Forums from the above sender.

http://www.cyprus-forum.com/cyprus32921.html

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 90 in Discussion

Bradus, ok fair enough. I don't read that forum. Perhaps if you had mentioned that in msg 24 it would have been more clear.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 90 in Discussion

I am not taking an alright Jack stance, in any way, we had massive problems, and headaches, We lived with no electric for 15 months, but it as taught us some very valuable lessons.

Our contract stated, connection to Electicity, didn,t mention we would have to foot the bill for 10 posts etc. etc, £17K.

But we are all adults. We know the risks and the dangers, Once you step off your own doorstep, into another country you take that chance.

Sorry, we must also accept part of the blame ourselves, no one made us do it, it was our choice.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 90 in Discussion

Of course it is Hildi, Kavenboy is obviously trying to protect his own interests and bu**er the rest of you.

Pauline has even been told by a I'm alright Jack merchants that she should shut up, learn to live with her loss and look for closure, yeh, that's gonna happen - not. What about the 1400 in the auction queue, what about all the others still with problems. I know, what a bl**dy nuisance we are.

The I'm alright Jack merchants want us all to keep quiet because, like it or not, our keeping the pressure up is affecting the price of thier homes too. They can point all over the world to similar situations but we don't live all over the world, we live here and if some day Pauline feels the only option left is HOmes from Hell, guess what she will do?

I really think Homes from Hell would love Pauline to step up to the plate, they have already asked her to.

What stops her, she is still willing to give the TRNC the opportunity to do the right thing, because loves living here.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 90 in Discussion

Our contract also said that the house would be fully furnished and all the white goods included - so we disposed of ours in the UK last year. We sold a dryer but mainly gave them to elderley relatives and neighbours - living on a council estate of bungalows we had a lot of elderly, disabled and infirm neighbours, so most of it went to them. One disabled neighbour got a room of fitted wardrobes, double bed, TV and computer in adition to small items.

We did bring our dog (springer spanial 11 years old) by road and packed a TV, computer and garden bits and (including £350 worth of dog products for KAR). Having heard the problems here we brought the garden stuff as it folded down and we thought maybe it would give us some furniture in the house until we got some - but we never got the house. We rented a house which was built by our builder and it developed cracks all over the walls and the bedroom flooded as the water came in the windows - we can see why now, as it is the same at ours

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 90 in Discussion

message 30 ..

polly yes im protecting my interests ,thats natural isnt it ?

but by the same rule want to protect every other buyer of property in NC ....yes its change thats needed to promote sales interests and tourism....these reporters wont do either.

please dont say im a allright jack ,thats unfair .

i would support any group that has had a raw deal

i want to see fairness and a boomingeconomy here ,why ? because i lve he place

my builder would have ripped me off he would have been dealt with the only way i know ...no matter where he lives ...but thats me

i fully support meeting governments and trying to sort things,but are they interested in fixing the property sector ?or tourism?

lets see

kav

pollymarples

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 90 in Discussion

Hildy, keep the pressure on the builder if it is at all possible and most of all

Never give in - never give up. Thats exactly what they would like you to do.

Keep the faith

HildySmith

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 90 in Discussion

IT IS I'm alright Jack!!!

I too love the place and would like to promote it in a positive light for all the right reasons. We talked about buying in the south and I looked at some of the newspapers and found reasonable houses (probably Turkish) which neede renovation etc. But my Son lived there in RAF Akrotiri and he said Mam go north - the people are much more friendly, the North is much more beautiful and the prices are more reasonable for the type of house you are looking for.

He brought us north and we agreed with him - especially on the first 2 points. Having looked abroad for many years in different places, the prices were comparable. Our friends bought in Bulgaria - Croatia and Bulgaria were the hot spots at the time.

Having stayed in the north and met the people here we decided that this was the 'best place' until we got saddled with Cafer Yucelgazi. The joke is that he was not registered as a builder at the time (we did not know that) but he is now???????????

pollymarples

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 10:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 90 in Discussion

Yes Hildi, it seems no matter how bad the builder is, he can 'buy' respectablility. Can you believe people like him and Kulaksiz are still being allowed to trade?

Hildi, read North Cyprus Free Press, at the moment Pauline is going back on problems that existed in 2005/6/7

and your will see, nothing has changed despite so many Government promises and the Property Complaints Office being heralded as the answer. If the PCO WAS THE ANSWER, obviously the wrong question was asked!

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 90 in Discussion

message 34

why ?

go on explain why im allright jack ...other than you making it personal please

kav

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 90 in Discussion

Well I have a very hellish story to tell Ms Laura Stevens! from the bowels of the inferno!

kavenkoy, of course you must try to protect your interests, but there are 100s who are left with no interests to protect, just ruined lives!

I will continue to do my utmost to make sure no other victims of the TRNC walk in, without prior knowledge of the corruption and racism that is endemic there! If they know they can then make a decision based on the full picture!

And before anyone says it yes "I am a very bitter lady" who loved the Island like Pauline before the liars and cheats did their work! now I despise it, for it's cruelty, and for what it's done to my family and fellow human beings! the sad thing is, it's even now continuing to destroy lives, and the I'm all right jacks because of self interest are still defending the indefensible!

pollymarples

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 90 in Discussion

I dont think hildi was personalising it to you kavenkoy, I dont blame you for standing your corner as long as you

don't tell the less fortunate to shut up and accept that losing their life's savings is o.k. and that they shouldn't rock the boat for everyone else. In any event, there are far too many of us involved for the lid to be kept on it.

TRNC VICTIM, I, like you do not give a s*it about anyone calling me bitter and twisted because I think we have lots to be bitter and twisted about, it's the same as those who call us whingers, if they dont like it, dont listen.

I think the best excuse I have been given so far to 'keep my trap shut' is the one where we will lose all the

sympathy and support we have gained so far, well guess what, if it came with conditions attached, then we are better off without it.

Never give in - never give up.,n Shout it from the rooftops.......................Hope Laura is reading all this.

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 90 in Discussion

thanks trncvictim

but my post isnt awaiting a reply or explanation from you.....its for message 34

what do you think is the best way forward though?

if government take action then its self promoting towards tourismand property sales isnt it

kav

tonyf

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 90 in Discussion

This type of organisation thrive on bad news - it sells TV and newspapers. By the time they have edited and re edited the content it bears no resemblance to the original or indeed balanced input. Don't give them "houseroom" sorry for the pun.

The property market is knackered world wide, just look at the continued reposessions in USA, in Spain builders have gone back to being orange picking peasants leaving thousands with no money and no holiday homes. A large majority of those involved in construction/estate agencies/lawyers have become fat at the expense of Mr and Mrs average. Screw them.

martinD41

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 90 in Discussion

" The property market is knackered world wide"?................Your looking in the wrong places..

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 90 in Discussion

Kavenkoy

Re message 32

"but by the same rule want to protect every other buyer of property in NC ....yes its change thats needed to promote sales interests and tourism....these reporters wont do either."

With respect, whilst you might feel that you are 'protecting' current property owners in the TRNC by rallying against a programme that criticises the TRNC property market, all that you are really doing is protecting rogue builders, advocates and a corrupt political system from international exposure.

Nothing in the TRNC construction industry will change voluntarily, it is only pressure from the 'outside' world that will force the system to change. Programmes like this are one way of exerting pressure.

Regards

Paul

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 90 in Discussion

kavenkoy

I am entitled as anyone else to post on here! you may have not been addressing me, but on a public forum, I have a right to reply, if you want to speak privately you would be better sending a private E Mail!

I can see no way forward, the only way any change will come is through the Government, and they are patently not listening, have never listened, and have no intention of listening in the future!

fiendishpaul (mess 42)

Why in their right mind anyone would want to protect the criminal element over there is beyond my imagination! in the long run it will harm everyone, even the people who are "happy" at the moment, no one knows what the future brings, life has a way of changing unexpectedly, it's in everyone interests to try to route out the corruption! which I know is extremely difficult with a Government both deaf and blind! and is itself corrupt to it's back teeth!

walkerscott

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 90 in Discussion

any more personal horror stories please to me ... i may even film my own tv documentary

http://www.no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com

pollymarples

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 90 in Discussion

Until the TRNC recognise the problems and show a willingness to deal with them, there is NO way forward, just sideways and back which will achieve nothing in the long term. Creating a better environment for new purchasers won't work because until there is justice for past wrongs, no-one will trust the TRNC.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 90 in Discussion

Very well said Pollymarples, exactly my sentiments!

HildySmith

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 90 in Discussion

Well Walkerscott - looked at your website and I approve.

The only way to hit these people and bring about change is to hit them in their pockets and the only way to do that is to prevent other people from coming here and spending 100k's on property so that they can be screwed. If the property marked crashes completely and the tourism is affected then they will have to pull their fingers out and do something. once their easy money has gone they will have to find some other way to pull back the punters.

girne 29

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 21:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 90 in Discussion

pathetic,so defensive.

To arrogantly assume that Homes from Hell was invented just to get at the cheap property buying Brits and the TRNC. You arent that important! so get off your high horses. Its to help property buyers and potential buyers in TRNC or anywhere else .

Homes from Hell has been in existance for ages and if you bothered to check you would find Lauras message has been sent to quite a few expat forums throughout the world

'The very successful ITV Homes from Hell series is looking from case studies from the UK and Dubai. If you would like to appear on TV telling the world about your new build problems then get in contact.

'Hi Everyone

----- We are interested in talking to ex pats and people who have bought holiday homes abroad...

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 90 in Discussion

"kavenkoy

I am entitled as anyone else to post on here! you may have not been addressing me, but on a public forum, I have a right to reply, if you want to speak privately you would be better sending a private E Mail! "

messge 43 ...i quite understand trnc victim ...you reply as its a public forumn......how long have you been a victim exacly ?what have you achieved so far ?what do you expect to achieve moving forward?

may be you only reply to computer chat that didnt involve you ,and you should get out and action something?

be glad to help if i can

kav

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 90 in Discussion

if they...ie trnc govmnt wants to move forward pehaps the answer is with the trnc gov...ankara...constructors federation...HBPG...and the banks....getting together with a positive ...realistic and achievable agenda....or am i day dreaming...

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 90 in Discussion

kavenkoy (mess 49)

I have been a victim of the TRNC for 7 years! I have achieved along with others a little personal justice! but lost not only my life savings but my husband of 40 years! moving forward, I expect to achieve nothing more than to make sure the TRNC never sucks into it's corrupt little pocket, any more victims! as long as any future victims understand exactly what predators are out there in airy fairy land! and then if they are daft enough to move forward knowing that, then they cannot say they weren't warned!

As for computer chat! I think if you live and love the TRNC as much as you say you do, it's perhaps you who should get out and try to action something? my husband has gone, my life savings are gone, I have no need to action anything! there's nothing left to action!

I don't want your help, you can't help! I just don't want anyone else to wear my shoes......

Enjoy your love of the TRNC! I'll tell my sad little story to anyone who wil listen!

Maz

Message Posted:
15/01/2011 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 90 in Discussion

Wow, I am so sorry to hear how sad life has been. One thing I don't understand - are you a lady (who like many of the fema,le sex) fibs about their age? If not, then you married illegally underage.

Not being flippant, because I guess none of that matters, but I feel it is so very very sad what has happened to you, and maybe if you get your story out there on telly, it might help others to think a little more deeply before taking a step that could land them in 'hell' instead of 'paradise', and maybe something kathartic could be in it for you. Let's hope it is the end of a 7 year 'curse' and that 2011 will see a lifting of some of the darkness in your life. I am so sorry.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 90 in Discussion

Maz, I know TRNC VICTIM's story very well. The AGA saga is the longest running one (I think). It involves

several hundred people. Some have lost partners through stress related illness and like Kulaksiz 5 have had firm promises from the TRNC GOVERNMENT, which they have broken. The women who have been the strongest campaigners have been called 'bitter and twisted' (so have I ) but they have a lot to be bitter and twisted about, however, knowing them as I do, I know they are not bitter and twisted, just determined to make others aware, fight their corner and try to live long enough to see a resolution, just as I hope to.

That some of us have to look outside the borders to the U.S and ECHR COURTS is a pity but sometimes,

desperate measure have to be taken.

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 90 in Discussion

Is the researcher Laura a wind up or real. This is the second time she has wound Cyprus44 up in two posts.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 90 in Discussion

Totally genuine Cyprusquest. I have been in communication with her but like to give TRNC the opportunity

to right its own wrongs before venturing into this scenario. Love the place, do not want to add to its problems

but it really doesn't do itself any favours by not keeping its word or promises.

Read NCFP to see just how long the problems have existed.

yeniboy

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 90 in Discussion

GO AWAY Laura Stevens and make your smutty little program about the crooks in Britain.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 90 in Discussion

Go away yeniboy and live in your little Utopia, leave those with problems to deal with them using any method THEY CHOOSE. Just look at what the Boyut buyers now have to face. Unless of course, you have the answer?

japeal

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 90 in Discussion

Is this a LEGIT post? Laura stevens? has not replied to any posts on this thread, is she from the DARK SIDE?

maddy

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 90 in Discussion

Having seen the programme 'Homes from Hell' on Dubai I consider it an excellent idea that a programme is done in the TRNC regarding the rogue builders that seem to get away with so much and leave proposed owners with nothing.

Of course N. Cyprus is beautiful that is why so many want to finish their days there. Surely this programme can only do good if only to help those that have been robbed.

Maddy

pollymarples

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 90 in Discussion

Yes quite legitimate and she does give you her e mail and she does reply. She has even contacted some of us directly. Just depends on the TRNC AS TO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT i THINK.She does not put pressure on anyone, the decision has to be yours.

girne 29

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 90 in Discussion

yeniboy

' AWAY Laura Stevens and make your smutty little program about the crooks in Britain. '

Homes from Hell HAS done programmes about the UK. There are/were two distinct programmes 'at home' and 'abroad'.,unless you think the Thames valley ,Wales etc are on Mars!

Have you an interest in maintaining the status quo in TRNC? if so you are fighting a losing battle.The TRNC are to blame for the property situation,not Homes from Hell, the ROC, the UK,EU or the big bad boy down the road.

It appears the GC's are as paranoid as you.

,'' http://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers. ... /id=006121

reports of shots being fired at a British TV crew in Cyprus, who have been on the Island investigating and filming a number of property scams, have appeared in the Greek language media.

ACCORDING to reports in a number of Greek language newspapers, shots were apparently fired in the direction of a British TV crew filming in Cyprus for the upcoming ITV series ‘Homes from Hell’.

spider

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 90 in Discussion

Anyone seen much of Laura Stevens lately...she may well have gone away ?

Spider,X

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 90 in Discussion

spider (mess 62)

Don't think she has gone away

girne 29

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 90 in Discussion

61 cont

At last we have agreement on one thing between the North and South, neither want their corruption and stealing aired in public. There might still be some sheep left to fleece,who dont use the internet.

Homes from Hell programmes have been made in just about every country in Europe plus Dubai and Egypt and they seemed to have survived.

Japeal .

Dont think she is a GC , not with an e-mail address at ITV.Her phone number tallies with that of ITV. Also seen her mentioned on at least 5 expat forums. I suppose the Spanish estate agents are saying shes portuguese, and the Egyptians are saying she is Libyan and Dubai is saying shes Israeli

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
16/01/2011 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 90 in Discussion

are we getting paranoid....your right homes can be from hell across the globe....what is the aim of such programmes .....the media only appear to affect public policy in the uk....sometimes....but for those who have and continue to suffer...good luck....

pollymarples

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 90 in Discussion

Too late too late, and no Laura has NOT gone away.

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 90 in Discussion

what is this thread actually achieving now?

it was started to contact it if you wished.......now it could end with people spouting hatred towards each other

kav

malsancak

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 90 in Discussion

it is understandable that people who want to sell their properties should attack those who are making it difficult for them by telling stories about the dangers of purchasing here. It may be selfish, unsympathetic and counter-productive but it's understandable

martinD41

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 90 in Discussion

malsancak....So what your saying is, say nothing to the potential buyer,and run away with the cash.....I would say that is not understandable,just underhanded

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 90 in Discussion

martin

suely that would be give me my money and NOW IM ALLRIGHT JACK ,that would be double standards

kav

malsancak

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 90 in Discussion

martinD41 & kavenkoy, I agree with you but still understand the reason people are trying to suppress the complaints. I understand a lot that I don't agree with and what I'm saying is that those who disagree with exposing the property problems here often have a reason for doing it which has more to do with personal survival than morality. Unfortunately for them the tactic of trying to stop the complaints isn't working and because all they are prepared to do is try to stop the complaints they aren't supporting those with complaints and so the problems continue and they are making the problem worse, in my honest opinion.

See, understanding why the I'm Alright Jack brigade are criticising the complainers helps to show them that they should be helping to solve the problem instead, if what they want to do is sell their villa.

Unity amongst ex-pats is essential if we are to achieve natural justice (not British justice)

malsancak

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 90 in Discussion

Peter Wright has written an article for NCFP called "Message for Jack, you're not alright" at http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com/2011/01/16/message-for-jack-youre-not-alright/

TheSaints

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 90 in Discussion

Yep he has and I read it and yes I am still alright.

Personally I purchased not as an investment nor as a permanent home or retirement home it suits my circumstances as I am nowhere near ready to retire and I move around a lot, we done our homework and we purchased within the present system which whilst may not be ideal can work for some, have never been able to understand someone willing to purchase a picture of a house anywhere in the world not just here, if it is not complete and you have not stood in it and walked around it then to me it does not exist Offplan is not in my vocabulary. I have bought in various parts of the world and never had 1 single problem with any purchase including this one.

We wrote of the money at the time of purchase and do not care if the place increases or decreases as that is not why we purchased.

Those who have lost out good luck to you shout as loud as you want, they have been shouting in many other countries for over 20 years look at Spain for examp

Bradus

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 90 in Discussion

The problem lies with those doing their utmost to prevent people passing on advice that actually safeguards buyers.

Most of us are by now fully aware, based not on experience but research and endless meetings with military officials and the interior Ministry, that a foreigner will not get PTP on pre74 Turkish Title. Yet how many come on the forum and deny this and become very agitated with the poster stating this?

Similarly I noticed a poster very keen to inform buyers or worried people that its no problem not having deeds. Clearly there is a problem and the proof is in the amount of buyers that have paid in full only to have memorandums and find their houses being auctioned as with the latest Boyut saga.

It appears that some do not wish any form of bad publicity to be aired even when true. Perhaps just allowing truthful advice is the way forward? Instead there seems to be an attitude of it worked for me, what did you do wrong?

TheSaints

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 90 in Discussion

it worked for me, what did you do wrong? exactly I think in some cases that sums it up nicely don't you?

Bradus

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 90 in Discussion

cont/

This then allows people to divert problems from the system and builder to the individual. I'm not aware that being naive and gullible is a crime. Yet for some it appears a bigger crime than many of the property scams and fraudulent behaviour we have witnessed over the years. In a civilised society laws are there to protect vulnerable people and herein lies the answer.

The real truth when buying in the TRNC is that no foreigner can guarantee an absolutely safe purchase. Off-plan or resale. No amount of doing your homework will protect you. The only guarantee will come when its made law that on full payment your deeds are exchanged and until this happens, its simply a gamble.

If your builder wants to give them to you, he will. If he does not wish to, he won't.

TheSaints

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 90 in Discussion

"The real truth when buying in the TRNC is that no foreigner can guarantee an absolutely safe purchase. Off-plan or resale. No amount of doing your homework will protect you. The only guarantee will come when its made law that on full payment your deeds are exchanged and until this happens, its simply a gamble"

This applies to a lot of places in the world and not just TRNC you even get stiched up in some european countries so not even any protection there from the law.

Do your homework and don't by offplan puts the odds a little more in your favour weigh up your circumstances and if you can not afford the gamble don't play the game.

Bradus

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 90 in Discussion

Totally agree and my advice would be the same, Don't buy of plan, although I bought off plan and had a fantastic builder with no problems. I simply got caught out elsewhere.

It is refreshing to hear people admit that buying in the TRNC is a gamble.This admittance is important because many think the legal system is similar to the UK and that they are safeguarded. If people enter there contracts knowing there is an element of gambling then they must share responsibility when things go wrong.

Yes there are problems in Spain but now that the property market is on its knees I note that they are introducing all sorts of protective legislation to bring back the much needed trust. Research, what the Mayor of Marbella has introduced and also the success of complainants going through the ECHR. Such action would be very welcome in the TRNC and may help its reputation and the construction industry.

a

TheSaints

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 90 in Discussion

Well for let's hope that sometime in the not too distant future there are safeguards put in place to protect the buyers interest and boost the real estate business in the TRNC as in some parts of Spain but I don't think that any changes made could possibly be made retrospective threfore there will still be some people who have lost.

Bradus

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 90 in Discussion

But that would be a good result Saints. We all feel sorry for those that have had property problems and are fully aware that most will never see justice.However it would be an excellent achievement if one could safeguard others from this experience and the result is that they are happy with their purchase and their quality of life is improved by living happily in the TRNC.

Not to mention the TRNC 's economy improves.

TheSaints

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 90 in Discussion

Well it looks as though we are in agreement.

all the best

Mike

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 90 in Discussion

71 mal

i understand and share the sentiments of sticking together to sort out problems .

i used the term as higher up you will see somebody used the term on me ,which i asked for an explanation and never got .I dont think im allright ,but better than some and would like to see all problems solved by the government .I would also like to see mass tourism .

The only way you will get this is if the government do act fairly and take rogue builders to task ,take bent salesman to task and promote equal rights to none locals .....i was seen in the thread as protecting my interest,which is true.But i also want to protect every future purchasers interests .

but some are bitter towards people who have not had as much of a problems

kav

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 90 in Discussion

Kav

"The only way you will get this is if the government do act fairly and take rogue builders to task ,take bent salesman to task and promote equal rights to none locals .....i was seen in the thread as protecting my interest,which is true.But i also want to protect every future purchasers interests ."

The government will not do this of their own volition, the lack of action re Kulaksiz and other developments is proof of this. The only thing likely to force change by the government is the pressure brought about by agencies outside of the TRNC (tv programmes detrimental to the TRNC being just one of them). Even then, I have my doubts as to whether things will change, after all, the government has watched over a total collapse of the construction industry, the collapse of the 'national' airline and ever dwindling tourism numbers - if they haven't got the message yet, they probably never will.

Paul

HildySmith

Message Posted:
26/01/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 90 in Discussion

It is no good spouting about he problems on here and then doing nothing about it.

'Put your money where your mouth is'

If you have something to say - Positive or negative, this is an opportunity to get something over and maybe get something done

The only way that people will get anything done here is if the problems are highlighted and investigaged. If the housing market crashes then they will have to do something.

What kind of tourist wants to come to a place covered with half built houses - so of tourism is affected then again, they will have to do something about it.

if the Banks are screwing people through mortgages - highlight the situation

DO NOTHING AND NOTHING WILL HAPPEN

stusimpson

Message Posted:
26/01/2011 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 90 in Discussion

All,

We bought our dream house in 2007 from a well known company using reputable builders.

Due a refund in 3 days time as it will not even be built until the Summer , we were told a week ago , no you now can't have it because of a technicality in your contract.

The owner has made it quite clear he will not give me my due refund.

So even now developers with a better reputation are still causing unnecessary suffering for buyers and the legal system seems so lacking in anyone ruthless enough to challenge them.

I think those of you who have happily purchased cannot possibly imagine the stress people on here have had with the TRNC property problems . I have lost faith and barring a sudden change of heart I will probably need a decent lawyer to get my refund. Those people who have lost lots of money , you have my total sympathy , for you it really was a home from hell and if at this stage my family feel the way we do at the start I cannot imagine what it is like further down t

stusimpson

Message Posted:
26/01/2011 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 90 in Discussion

Cont:

line. For you it really is a home from hell , and it's quite shocking to see some people on here not seeming to have any sympathy because their purchase was Ok.

I really wish we hadn't purchased in N.Cyprus and the problems and broken promises are still going on , it's just people now are careful what they write on here as it may end up causing the development to never get finished.

But its still an ugly part if this country.

Stu

SuziSuz

Message Posted:
26/01/2011 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 90 in Discussion

Stu

did you buy via Savills ?

Suz

ABAG

stusimpson

Message Posted:
26/01/2011 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 90 in Discussion

Suz,

Yes I did but they don't have anything to do with it now, sadly , had it not been for their nice logo and recommendation I would have avoided the purchase.

Cheers Stu

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
27/01/2011 09:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 89 of 90 in Discussion

I've come to the conclusion that corruption is so endemic throughout the Levant, that there's nothing to be done to eradicate it.

Consider 'who pulls the strings' in TRNC and we all have the definitive answer as to why the state of the country has degraded to its current level and why only the 'Rich Club' continue to remain 'nourished'!

martinD41

Message Posted:
27/01/2011 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 90 of 90 in Discussion

Ten,You are quite right,I have seen this on my own Island home,Corruption reaches such a level ,it becomes the "NORM" and the mould is impossible to break................It is the less well off that always suffer at the hands of Greed...........

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.