North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dopi tv north cyprus, has anyone had the upgrade yet?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dopi tv north cyprus, has anyone had the upgrade yet?

Dopi tv north cyprus, has anyone had the upgrade yet?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

newscoop

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

And does it work?

or is it the same old same old?

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

We had ours upgraded yesterday and its working very well.

magolina

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

we only had ours done tonight so will wait and see.

harita

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Mrwilson ..

On the strength of what you have just posted ..

Would you re-new your contract if due now ..

newscoop

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

That is the $64,000 question

Would you?

harita

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

I'm asking Mrwilson .. He says it's working very well ..

newscoop

Message Posted:
17/01/2011 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

I was asking Mr Wilson as well!

newscoop

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Also was the upgrade done at the house or in the office

If the latter did they come and realign the dish as they said they needed to?

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

I had mine done on Friday. The work was done in situ and involved relocating 1 of the dishes (because my water tank obstructed the new 'line of sight') and loading new software into the box - it took about 30 minutes.

I watched little over the weekend but quite a lot yesterday (rained in) and it is near perfect. Just a few times there was a break for 1 or 2 seconds but I got that on free-to-air channels aswell so I think it is not the 'scrambling'. Also there are some new channels but OSN is not back yet. They say that they have cracked OSN but it is not yet stable enough to release. When (if) they do it will not require any upgrade - it will just appear. Personally I don't miss OSN but if it is important to you then maybe you will want to wait.

If it stays like this for the next 3 months I will not hesitate to renew. It is as good now as when I first bought 5 years ago but with a lot more channels.

But remember I am Uran - not Dopi - and I don't know if they use the same technicia

gallowgate

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

What extra channels are on? Also can you get the football ?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Dear JJ

re msg 9

NO WAY should you get break-up/ freezing on Nilesat or Hotbird FTA ( Free to air) channels - If it was raining - you should have bigger dishes or they aren't tuned to optimum - Dopi don't fit big enough antennas for when it rains- may be that is the case with Uran.

As for your continued ability to receive scrambled channels - as I've already said.. you are VERY likely get the same freezing back and channels will begin to disappear.

Did Uran give you your money back for the MONTHS you got b'all ?

gallowgate

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Hi 6ms can I write to you off board re an alternative?

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Gallowgate:

Sorry, I don't watch football so I don't know. The new channels include AXN and at least 6 BBC channels - I am told there are more sports channels but I wouldn't notice which.

mmmmm:

Yes it rained all day on Monday, often heavily - which is why I watched so much TV. The break ups were momentary (1 or 2 seconds) and were on Turksat also. They were barely an interruption - I only mention them to give honest information to others. With so little rain here it is no big deal for me.

I haven't had months with bugger all - I had 2 months of sometimes long periods of scrambling. I was given an extra month for this.

Basically I don't watch that much TV nor am I devoted to any particular channel. On Uran/Dopi there is such a huge range I would have to lose a lot before it would cause me concern. I know people have rushed to change to Washerman's OSN offering but they then lose HBO, Nova, Star etc. which remains plenty for me and for only £125 pa. And maybe soon OSN again.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

mmmmmmm

While I am on the subject of pirate tv let me add a few more thoughts.

Whilst I recognise your personal concerns about piracy and I agree that what is happening here is immoral, in the context of TRNC I cannot be persuaded it is illegal because it is not against TRNC law. Nor can I agree that I am effectively stealing from OSN (or rather was). I cannot legitimately buy OSN's service here so there is no way I can pay them - therefore I do not see that I am depriving them of income.

What we users of pirate services do is no more or less than those who buy CDs here - there is no way to buy a legitimate CD so in my mind those who buy pirate copies are not at fault.

The real solution to all your concerns is to lobby hard for TRNC to be recognised and to join the world community - then I am sure they will introduce the necessary legislation and piracy will become illegal. While the world treats TRNC as a pariah they should not expect TRNC to conform to world ethics.

Jaybee

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Well said JJ I agree totally

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

re msg 12

Sure..anybody can.. pleased to help

re msg 13/14

1/ It rains HARD in CY - and why be stuck in and put up with ANY break up? THAT's why I recommend a 1m dish for Hotbird / Nilesat - I simply can't understand why anyone would cut corners - any Sat co fitting smaller dishes isn't thinking of their clients

2/ Pirate TV - it doesn't matter WHAT any 'laws' in 'TRNC' might be.. Piracy is THEFT - full stop... If the Sat TV cos know someone is broadcasting their decryption codes via a satellite they WILL seek legal steps to close the broadcast .. Even moving from from 'bird' ( satellite) to another only delays the inevitable..

Stating "I can't get it legally - therefore it doesn't matter" isn't fooling anyone .. it matters to the broadcaster that someone is charging for THEIR content and they ain't getting the 'wonga'.. They WILL do something about it.

If you WANT to pay for a 'service' and KNOW it can and will have 'issues' due to it's dodgy status .. fine.. !

gallowgate

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Hi Mark

Have written to you off board.

Thanks

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

You are right - piracy is a type of theft. I use the word 'type' because it is always covered by separate legislation. But in TRNC it is not illegal, only immoral - so you are wrong to say 'illegal'. Legality is defined by the laws of the state.

On the rest we probably agree. I accept I am immoral in using a pirate company. I also accept that I will have problems with any pirate company. But I accept it - I make my choice and I pay my money fully aware of all the facts.

Given that I don't want the eyesore of a 4.5 metre dish then the only option here is Digiturk which has limited choice and, from what I have read on these pages, is not exactly problem free either. If ever I switch to another company I will incur further capital cost and I choose to defer that date as long as possible. And in the end, if Dopi/Uran is shut down or becomes unwatchable tomorrow, I will still believe I have had my money's worth over the years.

So I am sorry - but while I can I will stay with Uran.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Hi JJ

We will have to disagree as to legalities - but what IS relevant is whether the legit Sat TV cos will 'allow' their decryption codes to be broadcast via satellites that ARE covered by piracy laws.

You aren't 'correct' re the 4.x metre dish - a well installed 1.8m dish would replace 3 x dishes needed for Uran / Dopi and ensure the ability to receive channels

1/ HD

2/ to be able to record / pause playback

You wouldn't get BBC1-4 or five live/ sports extra - but LOTS of sports fans can get BBC content via the red button on BBC News 24 and they get ITV.

There's also the DigiTurk / Nova Cyprus ( without the blips) and QUITE easy to pay for in Cyprus and the DIY / or expensive 'local' options for OSN / Abu Dhabi TV options with small dishes....

Don't be 'sorry' - not everyone is as tolerant as you - most folk want to sit down and KNOW they'll get what they paid for..

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. Mention of the 4.5 matre dish referred to the Sky system that you recommend.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
18/01/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Hi JJ

I don't recommend anything - in particular.. MOST UK/ IRL folk want UK/ IRL progs.. but if they can't have / don't want a 4.2m dish, this have the 1.8m option or island based options of Digiturk / Nova or Arab based services.

Folks can also view UK content via the net or using a slingbox

I'm certainly NOT recommending going the 'pirate' route - as I know the sat TV cos are co-operating / exchanging data - to make the cost of piracy for those who try to SELL (something they don't pay for ) to punters greater - thus removing the 'players' from the market ..

sunrise

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Is BBC Entertainment working on the Dopi system ok?

harita

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

More than enough posters have slagged off Dopi & not re-newed their contract ..

From people who have upgraded how is it working ?

Thanks

LesCollines

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Had the upgrade 2 days ago. A good choice of channels including BBC Entertainment... but still prolonged scrambling even on the replaced channels. We are not optimistic!

clairegordon

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Friend has had the upgrade but it seems as if they are now giving polesat as the english bbc entertainment and lifestyle are still in English but with polish adverts etc, still a lot of break ups but only for a second or two at a time, watchable and will do till renewal but then no way so they say

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.