North Cyprus Tourist Board - NORTH CYPRUS Neighbours Dog
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > NORTH CYPRUS Neighbours Dog

NORTH CYPRUS Neighbours Dog

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Aslan

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Our neighbours dog is locked up 24/7 and barks continuosly during the day and runs up it's cage like a treadmill you can note from it's actions that this cruelty has had a serious psychological impact on the"pet". Reported to the Police who say it's a Belediye issue who in turn say it's a Police issue, the usual back and forth with no one wishing to take responsibility. Is there a State Vet who can be called out to review/assess such cases? If so how does one contact them and what powers do they have.

I have nothing against my neighbours and only feel sorry that they have no understanding of animal welfare.

moxie

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

would it not be possible to talk to them ?, explain how a dog should be treated ?, sadly no authorities seem to care , although there is an organisation which protects cruelly treated animals , but i cant recall the name .

Aslan

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

We tried to speak to the family and was told to Foxtrot Oscar and that they would call the Police for tresspassing, all we did was knock on the door!! It's sad as they are a good family who just have little or no education in animal welfare, but like you say if the elected administration, it's ministries and local NGO's don't care what chance have these animals and their pets got!!

spider

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Just pop along to any Vest and ask if they might have a little word with them with regards to the welfare of this dog, they may well say nothing they can do,but at least you have tried. Good luck.

Spider,X

moxie

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

hmmm this is a hard one, maybe as spider says a vet could come and have a word with them no doubt there will be a charge for their time, if they come ?? let me see if i can find that organisation

moxie

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

www.kuzeykibrishaykorder.com/eng

0533 869 0355

0392 2275161

is a protection against cruelty to animals society in Lefkosa.

i just read on 44 that someone was sent a link to print off :section 47 cruelty to animals under the legal code of TRNC, which was taken to the police and they had to act.

Failing that offer to buy the dog off them ? or set it free, ask if you can walk it ??

not very constructive/practical i know ,thats what i would do !!

but im at a loss as what to suggest now :(

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Message 1

OK first of all what are the options?

As far as I can see it they are as follows:

Leave the dog in the cage. Is it well fed and watered?

Let the dog out of the cage but chain it up. Situation no different to being in a cage I guess.

Let the dog out to roam the streets. Not a good idea.

Dogs are not regarded as house pets in the TRNC so what other options are there? (apart from having it put down)

My guess is that it is the barking that upsets you and if it did not bark then you probably would not be interested in the dogs welfare or situation.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

sounds to me that if someone jumped over the fence one night and opened the pen that no one could be blamed for the dogs escape... x good luck and dont get caught by the owner or the dog x

mollycorbin

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

msg 7

There has been research that proves a dog locked up as if in solitary confinement, does in fact go insane. Your lackadaisical response to the poster sickens me. The owner is uninformed or cruel. Ignorance is not acceptable as the poster attempted to inform them. It appears this is a situation where somebody just doesn't give a damn. It makes me sick. You ask what other options are there to help those who do this to better understand? How about locking them up in a cage and see how they measure. Come on man, it's 2011. Enough with the excuses. People are not that ignorant anymore - just lazy. Yes, the dogs would be better off running free. Even if it's just in their garden. Tsk tsk...enough with the excuses.

natalie

Message Posted:
19/01/2011 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

msg 7Alsanjack, you are one dick, this initial post was done in good faith. Your comments are worthless. Would love to see how you would behave in a similiar situation? Might keep you quiet for a while at least

delikomsu

Message Posted:
20/01/2011 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

There is a Cruelty to Animals Act here, based on the British original and as I understand from our Belediye it is operative here. I have a copy if anyone is interested which I obtained from Iskele Belediyesi. There needs to be a few prosecutions before people start to understand that this is cruelty. Ourselves and others are willing to prosecute. You need to take photographs with dates and make a diary. However, if the animal has food/water/shelter then as in UK it is hard to bring a case. The Law of Nuisance however can be taken to court ie. excessive noise/smell of animals. Ring us for more info, we are glad to help. Penny k9kennels.

LaptaMike

Message Posted:
20/01/2011 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

AJ msg7 your post served no purpose and should be deleted ;-) Just winding you up

As a strong supporter of the RSPCA and the RSPCB I find it despicable how animals are treated here.

Our dog is allowed to do what he wants (within reason) in our house and garden, hence he is well behaved. He can be naughty at times as all living beings are and gets told off.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
20/01/2011 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

molly & natalie

First of all my posting was designed to stimulate debate. Secondly I 'own' a street dog that was threatened with being shot by the police because it was worrying goats and we took it in to save it from certain death. The dog is not allowed in the house because we also have cats (and one kitten). It can be aggressive and unfortunately tends to frighten all of the school kids that walk past our villa so we have to chain it up for most of the day. When it is let off of the chain it will disappear and I do not know where it goes to. I am willing to sensibly discuss what possible options there are for keeping dogs. I agree that keeping dogs in cages is incorrect but the dogs that are caged are usually hunting dogs and the only way to stop it is to ban hunting (fat chance) so rather than call me names why not try to discuss the possible options.

AJ

Tiggy

Message Posted:
21/01/2011 00:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Aj....you are worrying me.....anyone got a gun!

Let the dog go.

Aslan

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Thank you for the constructive info, I now also know the requirements to become a forum admin member !!!

bazilbrush

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Have the same next door to me, a lovely rottweiler(spelling maybe ok) locked up all day now that they have a puppy in a 6" x 3" pen with no protection from the elements, it makes me so sad to see him like that, as he was so loving when he used to run free. Would love to go and tell them what I think but everyday there are police friends of his there and the Belediye drinking coffee, as he is in the armed forces. Just wouldn't be in my interests to get involved really.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.